experts weigh in on trading Flynn

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's mind-boggling that Pat Kirwan considers Aaron Rodgers injury-prone having missed a grand total of 1 out of 47 starts...
1 out of 53 starts right?

2008-16
2009-16 + 1 playoff
2010-15 + 4 playoff

My math says Rodgers has made 52 of 53 starts.

Either way, screw Pat Kirwin if that's considered injury-prone.
Kirwin is fool-prone.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well there is no way Flynn will get traded unless the lockout is lifted before the draft.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't feel he should be traded for the same reason I don't feel the Eagles should be trading Kolb. I think us Packers stand in a much better position of stability with Aaron than the Eagles stand with Vick, but I don't undervalue the importance of having a great backup. Flynn impressed the hell out of me in the Pats game. But that is the very thing that is going to increase his trade value. The Pack should get a decent pick for him based on that performance alone should they decide to trade him. Whatever they do, I hope they have the sense NOT to trade him within the division! *cough Vikings! :( Let the Vikings romance Kolb, who is actually a decent QB in the making but I think he'd go to waste with this Vikings team unless they can manage to rebuild around him and do something with themselves. Back to Flynn, should we still give up a decent backup QB that can hold his own against the Patriots even though our starter is solid and not injury prone? If we trade him, who would we pick for our backup then? I'm feelin Cam, but the problem is, in a few years we are going to have a repeat experience like what we are having with Flynn now. My other question is I wonder what is going on in Flynn's head. Does he desire to be traded and start somewhere else? Kolb in Philly has made it clear he desires to start somewhere next year. Or is Flynn content to playing backup QB? I personally think Flynn is too good to be playing backup for anybody but for purely selfish reasons, I'd like to hold onto him. I always like to have a backup plan. That aside, I kind of get the feeling T.T. is gonna trade. We don't want or need a QB controversy to develop somewhere down the road.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I'd love to keep Flynn around as well, but it would be hard to deny him his opportunity. If he goes it becomes all the more important that we beef up the OL to keep Rodgers safe.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, I just happen to be an expert on Matt Flynn …
I'll probably regret it, but I gotta ask: Are you related? Why the fascination/obsession with Flynn?

- - -

If Flynn's deal is up after this season, it's trade him or wait until he leaves via FA and get a comp pick for him. If the Packers could get a second or third rounder, I think they should because that's a great value for the seventh rounder they spent on him and they could trade him out of the conference (or at least division). What's the plan then? Develop another QB to be the backup and if Rodgers is QB of the Packers for another 7-8 years, they'll have to do that at least one more time. However, since it will be a miracle for the CBA to get done before the draft, I don't think Flynn is going anywhere this season.

If that miracle does happen, how about this: Thompson trades Barnett, Flynn and the Packers first rounder to go up in the first round to select (fill in your fantasy middle or slightly better first rounder)! Dream'n I know...

- - -

Anyone else check out the comments after the article? The first one was posted by zachdro who left this comment:

The Packers won the Super Bowl because of McCarthy's failure as a head coach to evaluate talent. He can teach players, but for some reason, his evaluation of all positions besides quarterback and Wide Receiver is shaky at best. If anything, Flynn is a better option because he was tutored by one of the game's best position coaches, but then again, Andy Reid is another one of those position-coach heroes. McCarthy is a terrible head coach, and somehow the Packers got lucky enough to win the Super Bowl because their starters got injured. Backward logic, but it happened. If the Packers were barely a playoff team with their starters and were a Super Bowl team with their backups, it says something about the evaluation of the players by McCarthy. Kolb and Flynn will both be great QBs somewhere else because of Reid and McCarthy.

Backward logic indeed, huh?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll probably regret it, but I gotta ask: Are you related? Why the fascination/obsession with Flynn?

- - -

If Flynn's deal is up after this season, it's trade him or wait until he leaves via FA and get a comp pick for him. If the Packers could get a second or third rounder, I think they should because that's a great value for the seventh rounder they spent on him and they could trade him out of the conference (or at least division). What's the plan then? Develop another QB to be the backup and if Rodgers is QB of the Packers for another 7-8 years, they'll have to do that at least one more time. However, since it will be a miracle for the CBA to get done before the draft, I don't think Flynn is going anywhere this season.

If that miracle does happen, how about this: Thompson trades Barnett, Flynn and the Packers first rounder to go up in the first round to select (fill in your fantasy middle or slightly better first rounder)! Dream'n I know...

- - -

Anyone else check out the comments after the article? The first one was posted by zachdro who left this comment:

The Packers won the Super Bowl because of McCarthy's failure as a head coach to evaluate talent. He can teach players, but for some reason, his evaluation of all positions besides quarterback and Wide Receiver is shaky at best. If anything, Flynn is a better option because he was tutored by one of the game's best position coaches, but then again, Andy Reid is another one of those position-coach heroes. McCarthy is a terrible head coach, and somehow the Packers got lucky enough to win the Super Bowl because their starters got injured. Backward logic, but it happened. If the Packers were barely a playoff team with their starters and were a Super Bowl team with their backups, it says something about the evaluation of the players by McCarthy. Kolb and Flynn will both be great QBs somewhere else because of Reid and McCarthy.

Everybody knows that comments on any major sites (ESPN, NFL.COM, JSO) are done by 12 year olds...

cupacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

the funny part is he says "his evaluation of all positions besides qb and wr are shaky at best." he obviously doesn't know MM liked alex smith over Title Belt while with the 49ers. moron

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts