"Experts" have their say about draft

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't freak out if we get him. I think Mays has the tools to play at an exceptional rate in the NFL, but he seems to be beat like a drum. Do you think that he has the ability to get coached up and play with his head a little more? That is the real question about Mays. The other thing is... will he even be there? #23 might be pushing it after the numbers he put up in the combine.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've already told that this is the worst mock draft ever.

Pouncey at 11, Iupati at 13. Trent Williams falling to 18. No Jimmy Clausen in the top 25...

Ludicrous...

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya, sometimes these "experts" are just the opposite. They are men with highly opinionated views who think their teams should take who they think is good instead of who is "actually" good and worthy of that pick.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya, sometimes these "experts" are just the opposite. They are men with highly opinionated views who think their teams should take who they think is good instead of who is "actually" good and worthy of that pick.
Last year, they got some better pickers. This year they chose some guys that have little prestige in the biz...

I like the concept, but I'd rather see Vandermause or McGinn do the picking instead of the guy they chose...

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Mays either, I think with Collins and Woodson there to help mentor him he could become a devastating safety. Not to mention when our corners get burned its usually because of the safety blowing there over the top coverage. The teams that beat us last year did so with the pass, and I think by adding a good safety back there can really help us out.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong about the mentoring but it seems like everytime we have the chance to get a cornerback or a safety we automatically assume that with Al Harris or Woodson mentoring them they'll become good in the future. If this were true then that logic should apply to DB's already on the team like Josh Bell, Trevor Ford, Jarrett Bush and Pat Lee. However we all know that these guys really haven't contributed much despite at least 4+ years of mentoring by whichever superstar is on our team. You can't mentor what's not there, specifically speaking about Taylor Mays, if he doesn't show those flashes of being a good cover guy then how will you know he will ever do such a thing?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong about the mentoring but it seems like everytime we have the chance to get a cornerback or a safety we automatically assume that with Al Harris or Woodson mentoring them they'll become good in the future. If this were true then that logic should apply to DB's already on the team like Josh Bell, Trevor Ford, Jarrett Bush and Pat Lee. However we all know that these guys really haven't contributed much despite at least 4+ years of mentoring by whichever superstar is on our team. You can't mentor what's not there, specifically speaking about Taylor Mays, if he doesn't show those flashes of being a good cover guy then how will you know he will ever do such a thing?
To be honest, only Bush has received 4+ years of mentoring. Bell was a 1st timer on our team, Ford was a rookie, and Lee couldn't show much because he was injuried...

I agree with you though. You can teach someone how to have ballskills. Just ask Bush. Everytime the ball is on the air, he has absolutely no idea where it is, and gets beaten...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4fWzQvGnEs]YouTube - DraftParty's Week 7 Highlights/Lowlights Part 2 2009[/ame]

Look at 1:00. That play will tell you about Mays. But look at the whole tape and you'll know what I'm talking about. 1:36 he completely whiffs also. Starting at 5:55, only plays of Mays. Good and bad. 7:15 is plain hilarious. It reminds me of this:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rabKZ_uFtOk&feature=related]YouTube - Jump Fail[/ame]

You'll also see on that vid why I like Clausen and Tate, why I think Young is a bum. Beaten early and often by Griffen, and pretty much everyone that rushed him...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the clips RS. Yup that's exactly what I'm talking about. The only guys who Woodson and Collins can truly help are those who show instances of being good. Mentor's can only extract what's there not create it.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor Mays = Trash. I highly doubt even Pete Carroll and the Seahawks would take him if they had the chance (which they will)

Latest posts