Expectations! What are they?

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We weren't winning the superbowl this upcoming season no matter which FA's we signed, so why sign a bunch of overpaid average players and get back to cap hell and not even winning a SB?

Why because we as the fans do not keep unspent money. The team needs to do eveything they can do to put out a winning product.

WTF do i want to spend another year watching Bubba Franks drop touchdowns and bad defensive backs who cant cover and receivers who cant stretch the field turning our offense into crap.

Are you kidding me, they will spend some of "the teams" money or i will root for another team. This does not make me a bad fan. It makes them bad owners.

PS. I have been a Packer fan for 15 years and they have won the superbowl one time. Does that mean that the other 14 years were a waste and they should have saved their money???? Hell no. I enjoyed every one of those years except 2005 because management was or seemed to be attempting to give me a good product.

I mean really, can we look back on the end of next year again and say, well we only won 10 games but we werent winning the superbowl anyway so good thing we saved money. Who saved money?? Not me?? Like i could give a rats *** if the stockholders saved a few bucks by not spending the whole cap money. Thinking like that loses fans.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the real issue for most fans is what direction is Ted taking? It's obvious he isn't going to show his hand and tell us what he's going to do, but I have to admit that I'm anxious because right now it's all a guessing game. Are we going to make the trade for Moss? It's obvious we need another veteran wide receiver, so if Moss isn't in the plan, then why not go after a couple of those wide receivers that were available. The fullback situation concerns me as well. Miree is pretty average and I don't see anyone on the team who can challenge him. The same thing is true at running back. We have Morency, but there really isn't another quality running back on the team, and yet there were a number of quality backs that could have helped us. I think it's doubtful that you're going to find a starting wide receiver, tight end, full back and running back in the draft. If that is indeed the truth, how does this team get marginally better this next year?

The Packers want to develop from within. I was in a chat with a member of pro football weekly and he said that McCarthy told him that the Packers believe that developing from within will determine their 2007 season.

For the most part they are right. Nick Collins, Marquand Manuel, Marviel Underwood, A.J. Hawk, Daryn Colledge, Tony Moll, Jason Spitz, Brady Poppinga, Cullen Jenkins, Scott Wells, Nick Barnett, Corey Williams, and Greg Jennings. Off the top of my head those are guys who have the potential to play a huge role on this team next year. It’s certainly possible and very likely that they can get better. All are young and probably just reaching the prime of their careers or are working to get there. With the right coaching and the players ability to work hard all year long even in the off season, these guys can really be the core of the team, so to speak. If this happens then I expect nothing less than improvement from next year. I expect 9-7 and a wild card birth at the very least especially in the NFC.

However I will say I believe that the Packers are over evaluating the talent on their roster to a certain degree. I think they are to high on our backfield right now. I think they have to much confidence in Manuel. This team is not deep. In fact I would argue that this team has as bad as depth as anyone in the league right now. In other words, the Packers think they are better than what they really are.

Passing on the first crop of overpaid players like Drew Bennett and Nate Clements was a smart move. Passing on Kevin Curtin was a smart move in my opinion. Ken Hamlin is a Free Safety and the Packers already have Collins there, so even losing him isn’t that bad. However for the Packers to only sign one free agent right now does cause me to be concerned about why they feel so confident in the current players they have. I would of liked to of seen at least ONE key free agent signing. Even if we had to overpay for it. Deon Grant, even though he is an underachiever, has enormous potential. Eric Johnson and Justin Griffith would of upgrade our offense in a huge way. Heck I’d take even a guy like Chris Brown right now just so I see some competition in camp. The reasons above is why I believe the Packers are over evaluating the players on their roster. I still believe the Packers have the potential to be a contender for a playoff spot in the NFC this year. Heck they were last year but they need to do something to address the several needs on this team. There is a lot and time is running out. Training camp is almost here.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team has no legit RB, a project FB, an underproducing S, below average recieving TE's, and could sure use some WR help. On top of that the O-line is young and far from a sure thing.

And that's ok because we have "lots of cap space". What the hell award does that get you?

OK, I totally agree with you, Pyle. But here's what I would say in TT's defense:

RB- Travis Henry was the only player worth the deal he received, and was scheduled to visit Green Bay. As we all know, Denver signed him before he could leave.

FB- Griffith. Different reports, some say that GB's contract was less than OAK offered, some say he chose them over us for non-monetary reasons. I can't place responsibility for the weather in GB in the hands of a GM.

S- Manuel sucks, no doubt. That was a poor signing. But who was there to bring in? Grant? I'm sorry, but he's no way worth more than Roy Williams. They don't give out trophys for giving bad contracts to the same position two years in a row.

TE- Name one guy in this year's group worth another Bubba-esque contract.

WR- again, which banged-up, oft-injured WR should Ted have brought in?

OL- It's a work in progress, and will be solid for years to come. I'll worry about this if it's a serious issue in 2 years.

My point is, TT isn't God. He does some things that leave me scratching my head sometimes, but in no way am I worried about 5 years from now when we owe a bunch of far-declined, old players huge money.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
This team has no legit RB, a project FB, an underproducing S, below average recieving TE's, and could sure use some WR help. On top of that the O-line is young and far from a sure thing.

And that's ok because we have "lots of cap space". What the hell award does that get you?

OK, I totally agree with you, Pyle. But here's what I would say in TT's defense:

RB- Travis Henry was the only player worth the deal he received, and was scheduled to visit Green Bay. As we all know, Denver signed him before he could leave.

FB- Griffith. Different reports, some say that GB's contract was less than OAK offered, some say he chose them over us for non-monetary reasons. I can't place responsibility for the weather in GB in the hands of a GM.

S- Manuel sucks, no doubt. That was a poor signing. But who was there to bring in? Grant? I'm sorry, but he's no way worth more than Roy Williams. They don't give out trophys for giving bad contracts to the same position two years in a row.

TE- Name one guy in this year's group worth another Bubba-esque contract.

WR- again, which banged-up, oft-injured WR should Ted have brought in?

OL- It's a work in progress, and will be solid for years to come. I'll worry about this if it's a serious issue in 2 years.

My point is, TT isn't God. He does some things that leave me scratching my head sometimes, but in no way am I worried about 5 years from now when we owe a bunch of far-declined, old players huge money.

If you are going to continue to use "worth thier contract" than you are never going to be wrong. You judge what "worth thier contract" means. To me if you upgrade the team you are "worth your contract".

There were RB's out there not only this year but last. If Ted had any forsight he would have addressed this problem. Perhaps Ted thought he could sign Green at the end of the year. He made that choice and when Green got the big payday it backfired. Whatever the case, it's now his job to fix it.

I am not going to go position by position and throw out players names because I know I wil get the same regurgitated crap that is used everytime. Overpaid, too old, too slow, bad hands, bad vision, bad character, on and on and on.

The fact is teams overpaid this year because the guys they brought in were upgrades over what they had previously and thats what it took to get those said guys in thier teams uniform. Was Kelly Washington overpaid, yes, but NE obviously thinks he is an upgrade. You could say Cullen Jenkins was overpaid. In fact my buddy said "I've never even heard of the guy" when I mentioned GB re-signing him.

It's not about whats fair market value, it's about what more that guy gives you than the guy you have there now. You say these people are overpaid but the market determined thier price.

I laugh when you guys talk about how great Ted is for not overpaying. So all these teams overpaying for FA's are destined to be a losing franchise and in "cap hell" for the next decade? Get outta here. I will bet my last dollar that NE has a better record than GB next year. They may have overpaid but they sure as hell upgraded.

This team has a boat full of holes and only TT in the boat with a bucket trying to keep it from sinking. Unfortunately he is not tossing the water out fast enough because he is to busy checking his complex player value calculations chart and visiting draft picks he doesn't have a chance to get.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup....it's true..............Ol Ted COULD have signed a few of those "big name" guys that were available. Of course, they might not have helped the team, but it WOULD have taken care of all that dang MONEY that they have saved so far. That would be gone, so we wouldn't have to worry if Ted is gonna spend it or not.
Of course then if there IS someone they really want to get, there wouldn't be the cash and cap room left to go after them. But hey, at least it would make some impatient fans happy! After all, isn't THAT whats important?

This reminds me of a lesson i learned as a child at the Wisconsin State Fair. I saved my money ALL YEAR so that i would have some to spend when we went there. Well, it only took me about 20 minutes to **** ALL my money away, and later in the day when i found something i REALLY wanted, i had no money left to get it. (And my parents said "Too bad, you blew your money!")
Maybe Ted isn't the dummy some here think he is.
Time will tell! (If your willing to give him some time)

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup....it's true..............Ol Ted COULD have signed a few of those "big name" guys that were available. Of course, they might not have helped the team, but it WOULD have taken care of all that dang MONEY that they have saved so far. That would be gone, so we wouldn't have to worry if Ted is gonna spend it or not.
Of course then if there IS someone they really want to get, there wouldn't be the cash and cap room left to go after them. But hey, at least it would make some impatient fans happy! After all, isn't THAT whats important?

This reminds me of a lesson i learned as a child at the Wisconsin State Fair. I saved my money ALL YEAR so that i would have some to spend when we went there. Well, it only took me about 20 minutes to **** ALL my money away, and later in the day when i found something i REALLY wanted, i had no money left to get it. (And my parents said "Too bad, you blew your money!")

Please dont try and compare your childhood fair experience to this.
Running Back upgrades would be - McGahee, Henry, Turner, Jamal Lewis(remember him he had 2000 yards one year)

Deion Grant is not the best in the league but he is exactly what we need, a good smart safety who knows what he is doing and would be the glue we need in our d-backfield. Some have said he is the smartest safety in the league.

Receiver, we need a receiver and Moss is experienced and available. he would greatly upgrade this offense but he is a "bad boy" and people dont even want to look in that direction and its sad.

Tight end - maybe nobody worthy is in free agency but that is what trades are for. They need to publicly recognize there is a problem at tight end and do everything they can to land a good one. If they cant pick a great one up, fine. but at least bring someone else in and let him compete. I dont EVER want to see Bubba play on this team again.

FB-we dropped the ball here again with Griffith. I like Miree alot so i dont mind not getting Griffith all that much. But still, he was injured last year and what happens if he is injured again. We need to get a similar backup to Miree and im sure we will so im not upset here.

OLine- i dont think big name guys are the way to go at this point unless you could get an "Orlando Pace" type guy. Leonard Davis does not fit the bill, lol :) so i would say the draft is the way to go.

Linebacker- Poopinga should be a backup and we should bring someone in. Im not sure what Jerry Porter got but im sure we could have gotten him or someone like him at a price that would not have screwed us for the next 20 years capwise. 3 year deal, 4 million per year and we have 3 bad *** experineced linebackers with Popinga and Hodge backing them up.

Honestly, we could get all of these guy (Moss/Porter/J. Lewis/Grant/Tight End) and still have plenty of cap room. Only one team can win a superbowl each year. Im not saying that we would be guaranteed to win it every year with these acquisitions but at least this would give us a fighting chance at a superbowl for a few years. And 2 or 3 years from now they could be cut if we so choose and we would have our cap room again.

Ever since the Cowboys built their team by trading Hershel Walker and getting 3000 draft picks and building their team like that, everyone has this misconception that this is the only way to do it. Get your heads out of the sand. Times are different now. Remember when the Eagles paid John Runyan so much money like 6 years ago and everyone said oh my god thats crazy. Nobody in Phily thinks its crazy now. We must adapt or we will be watching Bubba drop touchdowns for another year.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jamal Lewis hasn't been a good back since he had the 2000 yard and nearly 400 carries season. He has had too many carries and absorbed too many hits, he has barely been able to rush for 1000 yards since that.

WHY, Why in the world would we want some washed out RB from another team? The best way to get a RB is through the draft, then we get a fresh young RB that can run at full speed, not some veteran RB that has absorbed way too many hits.

Bubba Franks isn't so bad, he has all the skills you want in a big strong TE.
The catching part is in his head, if he can fix that we'll be fine at TE.

At FB, it wasn't like Griffith was the best FB in the league, FB's are VERY, very easy to find and we don't need to sign an expensive veteran at that position, we can bring in some undrafted rookies to compete there and we'll be fine. It's not a difficult position to find a player for.

Poppinga developed amazingly last season, why would we bench a player with that kind of talent? We should get a backup to him but I believe there is no need to replace him. He's a big strong guy, a former DE and the perfect fit for the strong side.

We wouldn't win the SB even if we signed the players you want, we aren't just a couple of guys from a SB, we need to develop still and maybe we can compete in the 2008 season.

We could get Moss, but I'd rather pick up someone like Meachem and let him develop, we already have Jennings and Driver.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jamal Lewis hasn't been a good back since he had the 2000 yard and nearly 400 carries season. He has had too many carries and absorbed too many hits, he has barely been able to rush for 1000 yards since that.

WHY, Why in the world would we want some washed out RB from another team? The best way to get a RB is through the draft, then we get a fresh young RB that can run at full speed, not some veteran RB that has absorbed way too many hits.

Bubba Franks isn't so bad, he has all the skills you want in a big strong TE.
The catching part is in his head, if he can fix that we'll be fine at TE.

At FB, it wasn't like Griffith was the best FB in the league, FB's are VERY, very easy to find and we don't need to sign an expensive veteran at that position, we can bring in some undrafted rookies to compete there and we'll be fine. It's not a difficult position to find a player for.

Poppinga developed amazingly last season, why would we bench a player with that kind of talent? We should get a backup to him but I believe there is no need to replace him. He's a big strong guy, a former DE and the perfect fit for the strong side.

We wouldn't win the SB even if we signed the players you want, we aren't just a couple of guys from a SB, we need to develop still and maybe we can compete in the 2008 season.

We could get Moss, but I'd rather pick up someone like Meachem and let him develop, we already have Jennings and Driver.

I agree on the fullback issue.

Bubba is horrible, do not make excuses for him. Anyone who makes excuses for him OBVIOUSLY did not watch all of the packer games last year like i did. He is horrid. he is slow, cant catch, cant run after the catc. Dropps passes and fumbles on the goalline. Wtf else needs to be said.

You are right, we probably wont win the superbowl if we sign these guys. Only 1 out of 32 teams win the superbowl every year in case you didnt know that.

Should we cut Brett Favre since he makes 11 million or whatever per year?

Should we cut Bubba Franks, Charles Woodson, Nick Barnett, Donald Driver, Al Harris, A.J. Hawk, KGB, Kampman and anyone else making over 200,000 per year??? We wont win the superbowl anyway so by your logic, better to save the money right!!!!!!!!

Using your logic, we definitely should cut them. Because after all, we wont win the superbowl anyway so who gives a damn right?

Maybe, we can relocate the team, that would be a great idea since were obviously not gonna win the superbowl.

People, its not all about the superbowl. its about entertainment and doing your best. This isnt a fking investment portfolio. Its about winning as many games as you can and hopefully getting hot at the end of the year and making a superbowl push. Wake your *** up!!!!!!

Its amazing how stupid some people think.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Griffith's contract wasn't huge
Hamlins was not either

I'm not asking for Clements man, but when you have a chance to upgrade your team you do it. If you have to overpay, so be it.

And that's ok because we have "lots of cap space". What the hell award does that get you?[/quote]

That's why I think that there will be a trade for Moss. Ultimately, it is the only thing that can make sense of the lack or participation in free agency. There were players out there that could have upgraded the talent level on this team without overpaying. I'm not in favor of signing Moss for a variety of reasons, but I think it's now become a must to help upgrade the talent.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why I think that there will be a trade for Moss. Ultimately, it is the only thing that can make sense of the lack or participation in free agency. There were players out there that could have upgraded the talent level on this team without overpaying. I'm not in favor of signing Moss for a variety of reasons, but I think it's now become a must to help upgrade the talent.

You know how crazy Al Davis is, we need to jump on this before that psychotic old man changes his mind and we are crap out of luck.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Please dont try and compare your childhood fair experience to this.
Running Back upgrades would be - McGahee, Henry, Turner, Jamal Lewis(remember him he had 2000 yards one year.
Yes........as Ahman Green had over 1800 yards one year. Does that mean anyone that had some good seasons will ALWAYS have good seasons? Is it worth mortgaging the farm on has beens?
And i think my comparison to my childhood fair expierience was PERFECT.
I was showing that SPENDING JUST TO SPEND and JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE IT isn't always such a great response. Because when you really NEED it, well, it's already GONE. You can't get it back and say "I made a mistake".......once it's spent it's NOT coming back. I'd rather have someone that THINKS before he acts. (Like i didn't when i was a kid)
You seem to think that just because the needs haven't been taken care of yet, that that means they will NEVER be taken care of before the season starts.
Last i checked, the season starts around September. I believe thats about 5 months away. The money is still there, the roster spots are still there, and i myself haven't seen anyone that great passed up by the Packers that we HAD to have. Some signed elsewhere before we even had them here. So that situation TT had NO control over.
I just don't understand all the impatience and hand wringing, when there is time to make sure the moves made are not "knee jerk" type moves, and are ones that will really IMPROVE the team.
If it ends up NOT getting done, THEN i will worry. But WHY waste so much energy on some things that in the end might not even warrant worry?
If the season started next week, THEN i would be anxious. It just seems like such a waste of emotion that 5 months from now we might be saying "Why did i worry so much for nothing?"
So me...........i'm not gonna sweat it till its proven to me that i SHOULD be worried.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes........as Ahman Green had over 1800 yards one year. Does that mean anyone that had some good seasons will ALWAYS have good seasons? Is it worth mortgaging the farm on has beens?
I was showing that SPENDING JUST TO SPEND and JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE IT isn't always such a great response. Because when you really NEED it, well, it's already GONE. You can't get it back and say "I made a mistake".......once it's spent it's NOT coming back. I'd rather have someone that THINKS before he acts. (Like i didn't when i was a kid)
You seem to think that just because the needs haven't been taken care of yet, that that means they will NEVER be taken care of before the season starts.
Last i checked, the season starts around September. I believe thats about 5 months away. The money is still there, the roster spots are still there, and i myself haven't seen anyone that great passed up by the Packers that we HAD to have. Some signed elsewhere before we even had them here. So that situation TT had NO control over.
I just don't understand all the impatience and hand wringing, when there is time to make sure the moves made are not "knee jerk" type moves, and are ones that will really IMPROVE the team.
If it ends up NOT getting done, THEN i will worry. But WHY waste so much energy on some things that in the end might not even warrant worry?
If the season started next week, THEN i would be anxious. It just seems like such a waste of emotion that 5 months from now we might be saying "Why did i worry so much for nothing?"
So me...........i'm not gonna sweat it till its proven to me that i SHOULD be worried.

I say why wait, either you have a plan or you dont. Either we need a running back or we dont. I mean, Jamal Lewis signed with Cleveland for almost nothing. Now were going to waste a 2nd round or 1st round draft pick on a running back who might be as good as lewis.

I say, have yourself an offseason plan and get the guys you need. Running Back, many available in free agency, go get one.
Receiver, Moss is available, no other similar talented receiver is available to us. We can not get Calvin Johnson so go get Moss.
Safety, pick someone up somewhere.

The rest of our needs can be addressed in the draft and we are all set to make a deep playoff push.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

I say why wait, either you have a plan or you dont. Either we need a running back or we dont. I mean, Jamal Lewis signed with Cleveland for almost nothing. Now were going to waste a 2nd round or 1st round draft pick on a running back who "might be as good" as lewis.

I say, have yourself an offseason plan and get the guys you need. Running Back, many available in free agency, go get one.
Receiver, Moss is available, no other similar talented receiver is available to us. We can not get Calvin Johnson so go get Moss.

The rest of our needs can be addressed in the draft and we are all set to make a deep playoff push.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
cheesey said:

I say why wait, either you have a plan or you dont. Either we need a running back or we dont. I mean, Jamal Lewis signed with Cleveland for almost nothing. Now were going to waste a 2nd round or 1st round draft pick on a running back who "might be as good" as lewis.

I say he DOES have a plan.
And we might get a RB thats BETTER then Lewis.
They are TRYING to get Moss.
To just get into a tizzy because it hasn't happened YET is wasted energy.

Members online