Exactly why we hate the Vikings

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ever! or Change our name or our logo and I guess our uni's

sounds good, but untrue:

"July 12, 2000|By Don Pierson, Tribune Pro Football Writer.(Page 3 of 4)
If the referendum fails, the Packers' board of directors cannot threaten to move because of the unique ownership structure. Harlan says a worst-case scenario would have the team failing to attract free agents, failing to pay the required minimum payroll and eventually disbanding for not supporting its 31 league partners."

The new stadium is nice, but could have been entirely funded by user taxes. He didn't have to threaten to disband the team.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I hate the Vikings because I am still suspicious that they tampered with our team. That mysterious cell phone of Favre's had messages from the Vikings coaches while he was a Packer and those messages had nothing to do with coming to Minnesota? C'mon man. Then he demands to go to the Vikings, but TT won't ride that horse. So Favre goes to the Jets for one year and, voila! He's a Viking.

Where there's smoke there's fire. It was arranged by the coaches in Minnesota who told Brett he'd have the run of the place if he came there. Just like they tampered with Seattle to get a lineman. In my opinion they are a crooked organization.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I hate the Vikings because I am still suspicious that they tampered with our team. That mysterious cell phone of Favre's had messages from the Vikings coaches while he was a Packer and those messages had nothing to do with coming to Minnesota? C'mon man. Then he demands to go to the Vikings, but TT won't ride that horse. So Favre goes to the Jets for one year and, voila! He's a Viking.

Where there's smoke there's fire. It was arranged by the coaches in Minnesota who told Brett he'd have the run of the place if he came there. Just like they tampered with Seattle to get a lineman. In my opinion they are a crooked organization.
TT's mistake is that he didn't trade Brett to the Vikings. Just think, he could have had a least one first rounder and one or two second round picks. That would have gutted the Vikings draft for two years. It really would not have made much difference in the long run because the Packers went 6-10 that first year anyway.

And I am not sure how you can tamper with a player that is an UFA. Explain that one to me. (Your Seattle reference)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
TT's mistake is that he didn't trade Brett to the Vikings. Just think, he could have had a least one first rounder and one or two second round picks. That would have gutted the Vikings draft for two years. It really would not have made much difference in the long run because the Packers went 6-10 that first year anyway.

And I am not sure how you can tamper with a player that is an UFA. Explain that one to me. (Your Seattle reference)

Brett had a "lifetime" contract with the Packers. That's why TT didn't want to trade him. I think somebody got to Brett and talked him into wanting out of GB.

The Vikings used an underhanded "poison pill" to acquire Hutchinson, whose agent said he wanted to stay in Seattle.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

In case you aren't aware of the poison pill introduced by the Vikings to acquire Hutchinson. Here is an article explaining why it was underhanded.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TT trades Brett to the Vikings, there's a riot in GB.

Nothing short of that.

He couldn't. The minute he trades him, there's a mass demand for him to be fired. A real one, not like firetedthompson.com.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Brett had a "lifetime" contract with the Packers. That's why TT didn't want to trade him. I think somebody got to Brett and talked him into wanting out of GB.

The Vikings used an underhanded "poison pill" to acquire Hutchinson, whose agent said he wanted to stay in Seattle.
Brett had a 10 year contract with the Packers. He retired with two's left on it.

Using the "Poison pill" is not the same as tampering. Big difference in the two. Seattle could have matched the offer. They just didn't want to guarantee him the $49 million. And BTW, Hutchinsons agent knew about the "Poison Pill".
Oh, I’m sure Hutchinson’s agent, Tom Condon is slapping himself on the back right now with a hand the size of Texas for his ingenuity and creativity.

Chris Holmes Online » Blog Archive » Seahawks Lose Hutchinson To Vikings

His agent got the best deal he could for his client. The Seahawks weren't willing to use the "Franchise" tag on him. Had they, he would still be in Seattle.

Seattle could have franchised Hutchinson for $6.98 million and saved themselves the pressure to match an offer without compensation.
Had Hutchinson been given the franchise tag, his price tag would have also included two first-round draft picks to the Seahawks from the team that signed him.
The Seattle Times: Sports: Vikings offer big contract to Hutchinson

Instead they tried to save $600,000 by using the "Transition" tag.

For the record, I don't like the use of the "Poison pill".

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Brett had a 10 year contract with the Packers. He retired with two's left on it.

Using the "Poison pill" is not the same as tampering. Big difference in the two. Seattle could have matched the offer. They just didn't want to guarantee him the $49 million. And BTW, Hutchinsons agent knew about the "Poison Pill".

For the record, I don't like the use of the "Poison pill".

On Favre; When he signed the contract he said he'd never play for another team. He said he would retire first. That was until the offensive coordinator from Minnesota started texting him. Unfortunately by the time the NFL investigated, the "texts" or "phone" were no longer available.

On Hutchinson; If you admit the agent knew about the poison pill, then you admit he had contact with the Vikings. It sure sounds like tampering. However, you are only using semantics to get away from the fact that what the Vikings did was unethical.

The history of the Vikings organization in the past several years has taught us they are a team so desperate to win it all that they will search every loophole and bend every law necessary to field a team, regardless of ethics.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
On Favre; When he signed the contract he said he'd never play for another team. He said he would retire first. That was until the offensive coordinator from Minnesota started texting him. Unfortunately by the time the NFL investigated, the "texts" or "phone" were no longer available.

On Hutchinson; If you admit the agent knew about the poison pill, then you admit he had contact with the Vikings. It sure sounds like tampering. However, you are only using semantics to get away from the fact that what the Vikings did was unethical.

The history of the Vikings organization in the past several years has taught us they are a team so desperate to win it all that they will search every loophole and bend every law necessary to field a team, regardless of ethics.
Vikings coach Bevall is a friend of Favres. They called and talked. NFL investigated. You have proof the texts were there and what they said?

Hutchinson was an UFA that had a "transition" tag placed on him. The Vikings made the offer once free agency started. So what you are saying is that a team that contacts a player or agent during free agency is "Tampering". Makes perfect sense. No wonder TT doesn't sign Free agents.

Brett came back to the Packers, and the Packers traded him. He had no choice to play for another team, if he wanted to play. But he's supposed to give up his livelihood for the loyalty and sake of the Packer fans and organization. After all so many of the other famous Packers never played for another team after they left the Packers. Right?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brett was given multiple opportunities to come back, he turned them down. And anyone that doesnt think the vikings didnt tamper is fooling themselves.

If thats enough reason to hate him, how about him calling the lions and telling them everything he knows about our offense?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Vikings coach Bevall is a friend of Favres. They called and talked. NFL investigated. You have proof the texts were there and what they said?

Hutchinson was an UFA that had a "transition" tag placed on him. The Vikings made the offer once free agency started. So what you are saying is that a team that contacts a player or agent during free agency is "Tampering". Makes perfect sense. No wonder TT doesn't sign Free agents.

Again, the texts mysteriously disappeared and you know it. He had time between the accusations and the investigation to "take care of things". But if you think Bevell didn't talk about the possibilities with Favre, then just keep telling yourself that. None are so blind...

You keep going back to the semantic with "tampering". What they did was still unethical and no red herring will keep me away from that fact. That dog won't hunt son. They opened up Pandora's box by their actions and it is slated to be one of the discussions at the CBAs.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Again, the texts mysteriously disappeared and you know it. He had time between the accusations and the investigation to "take care of things". But if you think Bevell didn't talk about the possibilities with Favre, then just keep telling yourself that. None are so blind...

You keep going back to the semantic with "tampering". What they did was still unethical and no red herring will keep me away from that fact. That dog won't hunt son. They opened up Pandora's box by their actions and it is slated to be one of the discussions at the CBAs.
To clarify it for you. Tampering is when a team contacts a player or players agent in an attempt to get that player to do something while that player is under contract with an NFL team. It does not preclude players and or coaches from talking, texting or visiting with friends that belong to other teams. .

If Bevall told Brett he should go back and play it would be tampering, if he said, we need to go hunting some day, it's not tampering. If the Vikings talk with the agent or player who is an UFA with either a Franchise or Transition tag it's not tampering, it's trying to sign a player.

The poison pill is a Pandora's box that should be closed and only used by one other team. Seattle. So I guess you think the same of them. Or do they get a pass?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great discussion. So, the Viking model of "team building" resulted in how many Championships?

How does the future for Viking football look today?

The Viking model is nothing new. George Allen signed all kinds of "great" free agents years ago. How many Championships did George Allen's model of team building result in?

Daniel Snyder has tried the same thing in Washington, with the same results.

I love the Vikings. Keep up the good work.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
To clarify it for you. Tampering is when a team contacts a player or players agent in an attempt to get that player to do something while that player is under contract with an NFL team. It does not preclude players and or coaches from talking, texting or visiting with friends that belong to other teams. .

If Bevall told Brett he should go back and play it would be tampering, if he said, we need to go hunting some day, it's not tampering. If the Vikings talk with the agent or player who is an UFA with either a Franchise or Transition tag it's not tampering, it's trying to sign a player.

The poison pill is a Pandora's box that should be closed and only used by one other team. Seattle. So I guess you think the same of them. Or do they get a pass?

I don't think you understand the basic thought which I am trying to communicate. So lets' distill it a little.

If Bevall and Brett talked about Brett coming to the Vikings over text messages while Brett was still under contract with the Packers, would it have been unethical? Would it have been tampering?

Is the "poison" pill method unethical?

ilovemypackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, here's a bit of insider information I have not shared with anyone before..

I worked for a credit card company in 2007. One of my employees was the mother of Adrian Peterson's fiance. (I've known her for years and knew all about AD, pre-Vikings days.. the "Girl" as her mom called her and AD began dating while going to OU).

She knew I was a Packers fan, and was disappointed when AD signed with the Vikings. So, when Favre went through that retiring/trade me phase, she told me that she knew for a fact that he was going to the Vikings. I think I cried a little that day.

Of course, he took the long way to get there, but he made it, just as he always intended. :viksux:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Prob around the time (or maybe earlier) when ilovethepackers talks about AP knowing Brett was coming to the Vikings, a post was made on OBF from the BIGDOG

I think everyone knows who he is by now..

Someone asked him the question would Brett come out of the tunnel on that Monday night game in 08 in GB
(GB vs Minny)

His answer was yes he will, but will be wearing purple.

Now, how did he make such a bold statement, knowing Brett was STILL a Packer and no real trade talks were happening?

Up until that point I was in Bretts corner, I was even faxing letters to the Packers showing my displeasure of what they were doing to Brett...
Only way I can think of is that Brett assumed the team would release him and then he would be allowed to sign with the Vikings..But he didnt count on Ted and co. playing hardball

But that statement by the BIGDOG made me think for myself..I went and started to look at interviews and started to get a whole different picture than what his web site was painting..

When they wouldnt just release him, he asked to be traded...

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3514071"]Favre: Packers' $20M offer to stay retired may be best - NFL - ESPN@@AMEPARAM@@http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3514085@@AMEPARAM@@3514085[/ame]

I still want to play in this division for obvious reasons, which I made clear to management...If they won't let me play in Green Bay, let me play against you. That's where I am.''
I find it very very hard to believe his situation NEVER arose when talking to Bevell and Chilly..As much as Brett talks and as long as he talks, you think they only talked about his tractor, clearing trees and hunting? Please.....

My theory and its just a theory, no real proof, but I think Bevell/Chilly told Brett we want to trade for you if Packers wont let you play...We all know how much Brett was talking to Campen on the situation, Brett may have hinted to Campen that Vikings want to trade for him...

And that is where the tampering charges come into play, Campen told that to the Pack

I dont think Brett had a Packer cell phone, cuz he was retired..No need to have one..Plus Ted said in a press conference (in fact was last question he answered) was that Brett DID NOT have a Packer cell phone.

Brett/Bus are lot smarter than people think..Brett would have made sure that there was no real proof of him talking to Chilly/Bevell about being traded..Maybe didnt even use his own phones? ;)

At the time it was said that the NFL needed a lot of strong evidence to even investigate..I know in an article it was said they get a lot of tampering charges each year but only look into a handful of them..And one was Brett and the Viks..But not enough to do anything about Brett.

We will never know the whole truth, and I bet lot of people CLOSE to Brett/Ted/Mike may not even know ALL the truth....

Sometimes you need to look at every quote, every interview and analyze them yourselves to get a clearer picture instead of just listening to a pied piper

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know who bigdog is.

I don't believe much of what comes out of the Interceptor's camp.

All you have to know is that the LA Times reported that Cook was shopping Favre around the league within 1 month of his retirement (Brett Favre Story - Favre story sure feels familiar - Los Angeles Times). It was denied, as has every report of his "unretirements" the past few years.

Steve Czaban had it right when he termed Favre's announcements as "the annual reliarment".

Members online

Latest posts