Exactly the reason we all Love Brett

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole interview was BS. All the Thompson interviews were BS also. None of this should have ever hit the press. Each party is just making themselves look ridicules. This should have all been taken care of in the office of his boss (Ted) instead of going on TV trying to win back fans he lost. Ted should also stop talking to the press and call Favre and tell him to get is prima dona butt into his office or face fines.

Get this thing hammered out in private.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, little kitties....bring the claws back and play nice.

At this point, I could give a **** who starts for us in September....I will root for the "Packers".

But, a funny observation.....too many people wish to discount, or completely overlook, the FACT that TT/MM made repeated efforts to keep/return Favre into the fold. And at every turn....until the eleventh and a half hour....Favre has been indecisive and backtracking.

Sorry, but them is the FACTS...and Favre's story has...oh, shall we say "morphed" more than once along the way.

Dude is talking out of both sides of his mouth knowing full well that there are quite a few fans who will gobble his tripe up like gospel from the mountaintop.

Eat hearty, folks!!

You know, if this was your kid telling you this line of ********, you would call him/her on it in a minute....but because it is the object of some's hero-worship it is never questioned. Funny!!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole interview was BS. All the Thompson interviews were BS also. None of this should have ever hit the press. Each party is just making themselves look ridicules. This should have all been taken care of in the office of his boss (Ted) instead of going on TV trying to win back fans he lost. Ted should also stop talking to the press and call Favre and tell him to get is prima dona butt into his office or face fines.

I agree. This never should of hit the street and here's why. The first meaningful conversation Brett had about returning when listening to his interview was with Mike McCarthy on JUNE 20th. June damn 20th! Why did he wait SO long after having changed his mind about coming back a second time at the end of March?

Could he really be surprised that this caught MM and the organization a little off guard. I mean the seasons kinda like right around the corner. In this case with Brett waiting that long to let his intentions known he should be making SURE this stayed between him and the team.

That's regardless of whether or not he is happy with how they initially react or not. Brett is portraying that he is "guilty of retiring early". No he's not. TT and MM were welcoming him back with open arms.

He's guilty of changing his mind for a third time LATE but he apparantly feels he's "earned the right" to decide whenever he feels like it.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Did you see the interview? They dont want him James Campen said they dont want you but you can force them to take you back if you report. Brett said he would not go back. He has too much pride to go somewhere where he is not wanted. I wouldnt go back either. They made him feel like that old guy who just wont leave. Why would he want to go back there?

As far as it all being in the media, its a calculated move by both parties. TT can say one thing to brett and another thing publicly. Favre got pissed about it and struck back. Favre went to the media and made his bosses look like jack offs, forcing their hand. They will not be able to trade him. Having him as a backup is no longer an option if it ever was. They must release him or make nice and give him the starting job back. The Favre interview worked to perfection.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand where you're coming from cheesey and agree that Favre made his own bed. However, what is Brett's required penance for atonement. 40 lashes with a cat o' nine tails? Getting 10,000 signatures on a petition? 200 hours of community service?

How much has Brett damaged others by making his decision with too much haste (ironically giving everyone what they wanted - an early decision). Do you think this public embarrassment is enough? I do. Do you think that he, who has given 16 years of rare success, should be forced to languish on the bench for 1 or 2 years as punishment for an early decision?

Without Favre, Green Bay has a seventh rounder and two formerly projected 1st overall picks (at one point) who fell like stones for one reason or another on draft day. Rodgers is servicable, but there is no assurance against injury. While he didn't miss any playing time with his two injuries the past two years, he missed a good bit of potential playing time by recovering from the injuries when he could have gotten mop up duty (especially last year). Playing rookie quarterbacks seems to usually do more damage (both to player and team) than good.
Looks like Favre's "penance" is that he lost his job. Heck, i didn't want him to retire in the first place. I have tried to look at this from a nuetral corner. It's not easy, cause i love Favre so much. But i felt to be honest i need to look at it that way, not with my "Brett glasses" on.
This was not just because of this off season. Favre has been doing this for several years now. I think the Packers have been VERY patient waiting for Favre over the last several years. Plus, Favre admitted last night that when he talked to MM, he said he wished he would have had till training camp to decide, and MM said "Really? If you would have told us that, we would have gave it to you." So WHY wouldn't have Favre said that to MM before, had he not already believed he was done? You can't blame the Packers for not putting the entire organization on hold while Brett decides what he's gonna do. What pickle would they be in had they waited, and Favre still decided NOT to come back? I bet they are WAY ahead of where they would have been had they waited. Fact is, they have a job to do, and they went ahead and did it.
Will Rodgers be any good? Only time, and his chances on the field will show that either way.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to see the interview last night (moving, no tv service), but this whole Favre affair just flat out stinks. It stinks for Favre, it stinks for TT and MM and most of all, it stinks for the fans.

It's as if we're all watching a messy divorce and we as fans have to deal with the mess that's left behind.

I remember laughing at the Giants this offseason because of their problems with Shockey and Plaxico Burress and thinking how lucky I was, as a fan of the Packers, to have a relatively (if not emotional) stable offseason. Oh the irony.

I look at my Packer room, and I've got all these pictures of Favre and Sports Illustrated issues of Favre and one that looks out to me the most is the "Sportsman of the Year" Issue that I bought at the Shopko in Green Bay when I went to my first game. It's like a picture of happier times and I think when I get home tonight, I'm going to take it off my wall and put it away. Until this thing blows over, I just don't know what to think.

Sorry for the melodramatics, but this Favre situation is a bit too much for this guy to take.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to see the interview last night (moving, no tv service), but this whole Favre affair just flat out stinks. It stinks for Favre, it stinks for TT and MM and most of all, it stinks for the fans.

It's as if we're all watching a messy divorce and we as fans have to deal with the mess that's left behind.

I remember laughing at the Giants this offseason because of their problems with Shockey and Plaxico Burress and thinking how lucky I was, as a fan of the Packers, to have a relatively (if not emotional) stable offseason. Oh the irony.

I look at my Packer room, and I've got all these pictures of Favre and Sports Illustrated issues of Favre and one that looks out to me the most is the "Sportsman of the Year" Issue that I bought at the Shopko in Green Bay when I went to my first game. It's like a picture of happier times and I think when I get home tonight, I'm going to take it off my wall and put it away. Until this thing blows over, I just don't know what to think.

Sorry for the melodramatics, but this Favre situation is a bit too much for this guy to take.

Don't be sorry. I think you summed it up rather well. IMHO both TT and Fav-re are more concerned about themselves than the fans in this situation.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

Did you see the interview? They dont want him James Campen said they dont want you but you can force them to take you back if you report. Brett said he would not go back. He has too much pride to go somewhere where he is not wanted. I wouldnt go back either. They made him feel like that old guy who just wont leave. Why would he want to go back there?

As far as it all being in the media, its a calculated move by both parties. TT can say one thing to brett and another thing publicly. Favre got pissed about it and struck back. Favre went to the media and made his bosses look like jack offs, forcing their hand. They will not be able to trade him. Having him as a backup is no longer an option if it ever was. They must release him or make nice and give him the starting job back. The Favre interview worked to perfection.

Worked to perfection? Campmen probably will loose his job and Favre tried to make his boss look bad but ended up making himself look like a prima dona.

Perfect.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre did not come off well in that interview....from a sampling review of my friends and co-workers standpoint. Me, personally....I did not watch it, and will not afford him another moment of my time while he is in the spewing **** mode.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, I wish I could just fast forward to August 8th and the first preseason game. We might actually have something worthwhile to argue about.

This is heartwrenching to watch.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bigfog said:

Yeah, I wish I could just fast forward to August 8th and the first preseason game. We might actually have something worthwhile to argue about.

This is how it goes sometimes. Gotta take the bad with the good. Sometimes things just go bad. Sometimes they're really bad. We'll get through this!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
This is how it goes sometimes. Gotta take the bad with the good. Sometimes things just go bad. Sometimes they're really bad. We'll get through this!

Agreed.. damn I am agreeing with Trom.. watch out for the world to stop spinning on its axis.. we are doomed. :lol:

But we are sure ******** up the beginning of what could have been a very solid season.. time to pull back from this nosedive.. make the call Ted, make a call, and we will move forward.. release him or start him.. either way sucks.. but flip the switch and start to climb again.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok, maybe this is a stupid question but i'm a chick so i can ask it...

HOW THE HELL DO YOU FORCE A PLAYER WHO IS UNDER CONTRACT TO RETIRE WHEN YOU "WANT" HIM TO RETIRE, & GIVE HIM A TIMELINE UNDER WHICH HE HAS TO DO IT??????????????????????????????

couldn't brett just have said go fork yourselves, i'll decide when i want to, i will not do it in march, i will wait until training camp! or maybe i'm missin somethin.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

HOW THE HELL DO YOU FORCE A PLAYER WHO IS UNDER CONTRACT TO RETIRE WHEN YOU "WANT" HIM TO RETIRE, & GIVE HIM A TIMELINE UNDER WHICH HE HAS TO DO IT??????????????????????????????

couldn't brett just have said go fork yourselves, i'll decide when i want to, i will not do it in march, i will wait until training camp! or maybe i'm missin somethin.

Lack of effective communication on both parties side.. talking doesn't equal communicating and understanding the other party.. ask any divorced couple they can tell you, :lol:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's a good question. The answer is that they did not force Brett to retire, but they did pressure hiim to make a decision before free agency. Favre said he was okay with that, but then he said later in the interview that he got mixed messages, because when he told McCarthy on June 20th that he might want to come back, McCarthy implied that they would've let him delay his decision if he requested it. I'll be interested to hear McCarthy's side of the story.

I didn't have any big problems with anything Favre said in the interview last night, but from what I've heard about part two, which will be shown tonight, he completely lost me.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but greg - what i'm saying is he's laying ALOT of blame on them for FORCING him to make a decision too early when in the end, they couldn't TRULY force him to make that decision at ALL! as far as feeling the pressure from them - sorry but he's brett favre - a strong, smart man who deals with pressures every single day. when it's about his retiring from football & the packers FOREVER, i'm thinkin ya think about it until YOU are good & ready to MAKE that decision.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think regardless of where anyone stands on this issue, tolerance for this silliness is running thin.

Distraction for a football team is bad. Distraction from the team's former quarterback for the last 16 years is killer.

I truly hope that this is all resolved by the time training camp rolls around, which is very soon. One way or the other, the two sides need to come to an agreement and put their differences aside and agree to move forward. TT needs to do what's best for this team and Favre needs to decide what's best for him and figure out what he wants for his future. Make a definitive statement and TT should do his best to honor that while not mortgaging the future of the team.

If Favre wants to go to Minnesota, Chicago, Miami, Carolina, New York, Baltimore, fine. Trade him and be done. I think that's what's going to have to happen here. If not that, something needs to happen to make this mess go away. We need a Mr. Wolf (Pulp Fiction reference) in Green Bay to make this fixed.

The Wolf: You must be Ted, which would make you Brett. Let's get down to brass tacks, gentlemen. If I was informed correctly, the clock is ticking, is that right, Mike?
Mike McCarthy: Uh, one hundred percent.
The Wolf: Training... camp opens on July 28 in the AM, is that right?
Mike McCarthy: Uh-huh.
The Wolf: I was led to believe that if that happens and the media finds Brett here, the team wouldn't appreciate it none too much?
Mike McCarthy: [laughing] They wouldn't.
The Wolf: That gives us exactly... thirteen days to get the **** out of Dodge. Which, if you do what I say when I say it, should be plenty.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but greg - what i'm saying is he's laying ALOT of blame on them for FORCING him to make a decision too early when in the end, they couldn't TRULY force him to make that decision at ALL! as far as feeling the pressure from them - sorry but he's brett favre - a strong, smart man who deals with pressures every single day. when it's about his retiring from football & the packers FOREVER, i'm thinkin ya think about it until YOU are good & ready to MAKE that decision.

I think Favre would say that although he was not forced, he did it in good faith, and he was hoping management would then have more sympathy if he changed his mind. But he waited too long to change his mind, so they didn't have any sympathy for him. And neither do I.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a Mr. Wolf (Pulp Fiction reference) in Green Bay to make this fixed.

The Wolf: You must be Ted, which would make you Brett. Let's get down to brass tacks, gentlemen. If I was informed correctly, the clock is ticking, is that right, Mike?
Mike McCarthy: Uh, one hundred percent.
The Wolf: Training... camp opens on July 28 in the AM, is that right?
Mike McCarthy: Uh-huh.
The Wolf: I was led to believe that if that happens and the media finds Brett here, the team wouldn't appreciate it none too much?
Mike McCarthy: [laughing] They wouldn't.
The Wolf: That gives us exactly... thirteen days to get the **** out of Dodge. Which, if you do what I say when I say it, should be plenty.

I nominate this for post of the decade.

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Im not a fan of this ddforever guy.. However I do like DD

Interesting you say that. He is one of my favorite members and he's pretty new. You on the other hand have apparently been here for a while unbeknown st to me but after your "Favre is a pile of S*%T thread", are one of my least favorite members. I realize this might hurt your feelings a lot. Seek out counseling which can help you through it.

No feelings are hurt, not on a forum... opinions are opinions, I'm just sick of all this Favre BS and people trying to blame it all on Thompson...

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score

its just brett extending professional courtesy. See, being nice can hurt you. Better to be ruthless like everyone else.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

its just brett extending professional courtesy. See, being nice can hurt you. Better to be ruthless like everyone else.

NO, my dear - better to make up your mind, state your intentions, & stick with it!!!!!!!

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Brett said,..."they told me I couldn't come back." And THAT makes it 100% true? Guess I'd like a bit more proof before I accept that at face value.

Brett has always been a straight shooter before and why not now? I guess some tend to believe who they want to believe thats fine. I for one am on Brett's side here, I have never in my life heard him lie, he has always been who he is why again should he change that now? I believe his story 100%. I do not believe they wanted him back IMO...and I am NOT 15 years old.

Members online

Latest posts