Evolving Trade Scenario

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49ers and Horsies have made a trade. Denver gives its 22nd pick to San Fran and Denver gets San Frans 2nd and 3rd. Both teams covet TE Vernon Davis.

Soooooo....if Shanahan is going to get the player he truly wants, he has to get to the 5th spot as SF holds the 6th. What say the Packers' faithful to Denvers 15th pick, plus an early 2nd and 3rd straight up for the 5th? Or the possibility exists to unload Walker by bringing Lelie into the package.

IF the Horsies pony up the 15th, 37th and 69th for the 5th, would you take it?

I have to say, given that many in the know call the meat of this draft the 2nd - 4th rounds, I might be inclined to pull the trigger on this one. Would give the Packers a mid 1st and 2 very high 2nd and 3rd rounders. Hard to pass up, no??

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#5 pick has more value than that.. If we move down 10 spots from 5 to 15 I think we'd get Denvers 07 1st as well as a 06 3rd and #15..

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be happy if we traded down 10 spots, collected a bunch of extra picks, and took DeAngelo Williams. :)

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know, We may be tempted to pick a punter if we trade down.

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way Denver would trade all of those picks just for the 5th pick overall. What's the most likely to happen is that Denver trades us the 2nd round pick they acquired for Walker.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We currently hold #37 and now Denver has #38 in round 2

For whatever reason we are in the #3 slot in round 3 and now Denver is in the #4 in round 3.

So that would give us #15, #37, #38, #67, and, #68. Hmmmm.

That would be interesting. Especially if TT were to sign a couple of FA's.

What's the point chart reflect? What's the total of 15, 38, and, 68?
Not that it means it would be good or bad but kind of reflects the tradeoff value.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packersfan43084 said:
No way Denver would trade all of those picks just for the 5th pick overall. What's the most likely to happen is that Denver trades us the 2nd round pick they acquired for Walker.

That's probably true but would it be smart to end up with Walker and SF's third round pick for the #22 spot?
I mean I don't know I'm asking. Because if it is this could work as well.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
What's the point chart reflect? What's the total of 15, 38, and, 68?
Not that it means it would be good or bad but kind of reflects the tradeoff value.

5 1700

15 1050
38 520
68 250
Total 1820

I don't think the broncos would do this.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Lelie. I heard he wasn't working out with the team because he is not happy with his contract. Sounds like TO and Walker. At least those guys have proven they can play.

He also doesn't like to go across the middle. Not tough enough. I guess you can only be SO tough with a name like Ashley Lelie. What the hell was his mom thinking?

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not a big Lelie fan either, but simply threw it in there due to the possibilities that exist.

You don't think Shanahan will make the trade for the 5th? Historically, the guy has defied the rules and pursued players he feels are necessary to improve his team...regardless of their draft position, etc. The guy has a major mancrush on Davis as he is looking for his next Shannon Sharpe...and just how critical was horseface to their late 1990s success...to push his team to the next level.

I can easily see Shanahan making that deal.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But what about this?
Denver still has the #29 pick of the second round. So instead of trading the #38 they get from Frisco they offer the #61 they currently hold in round 2.
That would be an offer of 15, 61, and 68.

Denver would end up with #5 and #38. You know what? I would bet that's how they would like to position themselves.

Going from 15, 22, and, 68, to 5 and 38. They didn't have a third round pick before the trade so that would be a wash for them. I was wondering what they might be up to.
That Denver group is a shrewd bunch.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
...and just how critical was horseface to their late 1990s success...

I love this. I'm still looking for the broncos to replace their logo with a picture of shannon.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The chart I use has that as a small advantage to the Packers. The Packers might have to throw in a 6 or 7 rounder next year. Remember in the second round the 49'ers draft 5th and in the 3rd round they draft 4th.

It is important to point out that such a trade is very dependent of how the first 4 picks in first round go.

Now aside from the obvious advantage of having 2 additional picks, who is likely to be on the board at 15 that the packers would want??

WR? Likely the first one taken in the draft.
LB? 2nd best LB of the draft.
CB? 3rd best
DE? 2nd best

I would bet on an LB like Greenway.

2 picks early in second could be used on any of OG, WR, DT, OT, CB.

2 picks in the third could be best available guys from list above not taken in the second.

I would also think that one of the 2nd round picks could be traded down for a later 2nd and an additional 3rd.

Overall, I think Ted will trade down the first round pick. I think he has to trade down below Arizona at 10 to get good value. It isn't worth it if he trades out of elite level picks and gets second best for only 1 additional pick.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
possible impact player, but also a possible bust. itsa bigger gamble to take the 5 spot and run with it. it makes much more sense to trade down, you spend less money (in case the pick is a bust) and you get something from the trade. however you cant go picking players expecting them to bust, and i dont envy TT for having to decide... especially with everyone of us waiting to trash his move.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT seems like he will trade down and then get more picks, which could all very well end up impact players or busts. The draft is a gamble and if you pplay your cards right you will come out on top. I dont think it is that bad of an idea, but i also like the 5th pick. Sherman Screwed us badly by taking Robert Ferguson in 2001 with the 10 pick of the 2nd roun and we could have got Chris Chambers who went in the 2nd round 21st pick by the dolphins , and not saying that Carroll might not turn into something but Sherman also took him over Chris Gamble, If Sherman wouldnt have been drafting we would have been in a lot better position today then we are. Plus Sherman wasted a lot of our draft picks

Members online

Latest posts