Everyone blames the D where is the blame for the O

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do they get anywhere near a win by scoring those 7 points, the niners could give up 14 points and still win. so those 7 don't matter at all when you are down by 3 scores with basically no time left.

So does that apply for any game that isn't close? If a team trails 42-0 and scores 3 TD's in the 4th quarter, should none of those count in the stat sheet?

I'm not saying that the last TD helped them or even mattered. I'm just saying it still HAPPENED. It's still a TD.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we throw the ball on first down more then any other team in the NFL. The west coast offense is meant to use the short passing game as sort of a running game but rarely did you see our backs catch alot of passes. I think The playoff game against the queens was the first time i ever saw one of our backs really featured in the passing game. Then again Rodgers was taking what was given to him and Harris had a good game catching the ball. Having a back catch 40 balls and beinga true West coast style of Rb would be great.

"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field, boys."

Hank Stram

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So does that apply for any game that isn't close? If a team trails 42-0 and scores 3 TD's in the 4th quarter, should none of those count in the stat sheet?

I'm not saying that the last TD helped them or even mattered. I'm just saying it still HAPPENED. It's still a TD.

yes it counts on the stat sheets but has no baring on effectiveness of the offence during the game. It was garbage time so while it still counts as per the score, the offence wasn't good so by even talking about that last TD, it makes it sound not as bad or a lot closer than the game really was. Whatever makes it okay to lose in that fashion, I guess.

so if it didn't help them or matter why are we even discussing it? the offence was bad and i just wish the refs gave the niners that last int, just to end that pathetic game.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again.....

Rodgers was 26 of 39 for 2 TD's and 257 yards. They had over 100 yards rushing and they scored 24 overall. This was against one of the top defenses in the league. The offense was not "bad". They weren't fantastic like they played against the Texans earlier this year, but they weren't bad.

The defense gave up almost 200 yards rushing in a playoff game. To a QB. That had not ever been done before. Not even close. It shattered the old mark. They gave up 45 points, after giving up 37 and 51 in their previous playoff losses.

I would say that "everyone blames the D" because they pretty well justified getting blamed.

I'm not saying the offense was great but next to the defense, there is no comparison to how badly the defense played.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think with how bad the defence played it is overshadowing the fact that the offence was more or less ineffective most of the game and especially during the 2nd half. it isn't because of a lack of talent but coaching and basic principles that the offence doesn't seem to do on a regular basis.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Again.....

Rodgers was 26 of 39 for 2 TD's and 257 yards. They had over 100 yards rushing and they scored 24 overall. This was against one of the top defenses in the league. The offense was not "bad". They weren't fantastic like they played against the Texans earlier this year, but they weren't bad.

The defense gave up almost 200 yards rushing in a playoff game. To a QB. That had not ever been done before. Not even close. It shattered the old mark. They gave up 45 points, after giving up 37 and 51 in their previous playoff losses.

I would say that "everyone blames the D" because they pretty well justified getting blamed.

I'm not saying the offense was great but next to the defense, there is no comparison to how badly the defense played.

3 points in last 29 mins..To ME thats bad..Considering the MVP in Rodgers

We will never agree..I have my opinion, and so do you

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's
3 points in last 29 mins..To ME thats bad..Considering the MVP in Rodgers

We will never agree..I have my opinion, and so do you

It's also not accurate, since they scored 10 in the last 29 mins...

You can cherry pick 29 minutes from many games and find time periods where your offense wasn't operating on all cylinders.

I'm not saying the offense was perfect or even great. There's some areas that they could have done better. Better playcalling in the second half and better ball control overall with more sustained drives. All I'm saying is that the vast majority of the blame for the loss falls on the defense. By a landslide.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It's

It's also not accurate, since they scored 10 in the last 29 mins...

You can cherry pick 29 minutes from many games and find time periods where your offense wasn't operating on all cylinders.

I'm not saying the offense was perfect or even great. There's some areas that they could have done better. Better playcalling in the second half and better ball control overall with more sustained drives. All I'm saying is that the vast majority of the blame for the loss falls on the defense. By a landslide.

Ok so 28 mins they scored 3 points...

Then got a TD with 1 minute and 7 secs left

I guess you are okay with the offense getting 3 points in 28 min...I am not

Why are we going on over 10 secs?? As I stated you and I wont agree...

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess you are okay with the offense getting 3 points in 28 min...I am not

It is easy to cherry pick X amount of minutes to make the offense look bad.

In games that they won, the offense....
Scored 7 points over a 58:05 span in the first game against Detroit
Scored 0 points over a 27:50 span against New Orleans
Scored 3 points over a 34:39 span in the first game against Minnesota
Scored 7 points over a 30:38 span in the second game against Minnesota
Scored 7 points over a 30:32 span in the second game against Chicago
Scored 3 points over a 33:06 span in the second game against Detroit
Scored 3 points over a 27:18 span against the Rams

They scored 24 overall in the game against a very good defense. That should be enough, especially with a DTD to give them 31. Thanks to an awful defensive performance, it was not.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It is easy to cherry pick X amount of minutes to make the offense look bad.

In games that they won, the offense....
Scored 7 points over a 58:05 span in the first game against Detroit

They scored 24 overall in the game against a very good defense. That should be enough, especially with a DTD to give them 31. Thanks to an awful defensive performance, it was not.

1st Det they got 24 points..How did they get 17 points in 2 mins?

I have said the defense SUCKED and played horrible...I have said that is MAIN reason why they lost..

However for me the offense played poorly in 25 mins of 2nd half..(that is a fact) MVP Rodgers could have played a LOT BETTER...

It is my opinion...Why are you still trying to argue?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st Det they got 24 points..How did they get 17 points in 2 mins?

I have said the defense SUCKED and played horrible...I have said that is MAIN reason why they lost..

However for me the offense played poorly in 25 mins of 2nd half..(that is a fact) MVP Rodgers could have played a LOT BETTER...

It is my opinion...Why are you still trying to argue?

1 - They didn't...however one of the two scores in the first 58:05 was a DTD.
2 - Never disagreed that the offense could have done some things better.
3 - Same reason you are, just defending our positions...everyone is entitled to an opinion.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense was pretty stinky although Harris was doing alright against a pretty good run defense. Overall his stats were 11 for 53 and 1TD, averaging 4.8 yards per rush. For additional context, you can pull out Harris' shortest and longest runs (outliers) which brings his rushing average to 3.7 yards. Cobb went 2 for 23 and Rodgers had 3 scrambles for 28. That's 104 rushing yards but here is the real meat:

The Packers went 3-and-out to start the game on 3 passes. On the Packers only TD of significance (not in garbage time), McCarthy/Rodgers called 2 pass plays and 5 rushes. Score! On the next three possessions, Harris got the ball twice each drive and gained 2 yards, 3 yards, 3 yards, 3 yards, 3 yards, and 3 yards resulting in an INT, a FG, and a punt on those three drives. There was decent commitment to the run in those drive (6 rushes on 14 plays) but low production. Harris touched the ball for the last time after only 1.5 minutes into the 2nd half. One could surmise that Harris wasn't gaining enough yardage, but they always say that a defense wears down as the game progresses.

At this point, McCarthy then switched to Randall Cobb rushing him twice out of the shotgun for 23 yards. That was truly the last time that McCarthy/Rodgers called a rushing play, not even half way through the 3rd quarter! To put that in perspective, after Harris' touchdown in the 1st quarter, Green Bay rushed on 8 of 46 plays - a 17% ratio! That's a pathetic rush/pass balance.

The game was close when McCarthy shut down Harris, with the score still 21-24. When Cobb had his two rushes the score was 24-31, just a one touchdown game and well within reach. IMO - The game was still close but McCarthy panicked and went into shotgun pass mode way too early, allowing the defense to shut down Rodgers and the 49ers to run away with the game.
I'm resurrecting this thread because someone mentioned the Packers' lack of rushing in the playoff game. Above was my recap of how MM completely abandoned the run way too early in the game, despite it's actual success. I hope that MM self-scouted his betrayal and will re-commit to running Lacy until the 60-minute whistle blows

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never thought of this during the game or even days afterwards..

But on 1250 am Milwaukee Gary Ellerson brought up where is the blame for the offense..

Tied game at 14..Packers have ball and can put real pressure on the Niners..Rodgers tosses that what were you thinking pass and it is intercepted.......Niners make it 21-14 8 plays later

it was 24-21 at half..

Packers get ball and can't do anything..They punt.....Def hold Niners to 3 and out..

The offense makes a nice long drive and tie the game with fg 24-24

Then the big Kolin 56 yard run..they are up 31-24

Offense needs to get a Td to tie it up as it really shows we can't stop them..6 plays, 2 catches for 4 yards and one long scramble result in Packers punt...They only use 2:07 minutes.

Niners use 5 mins and go up 38-24...Our def is really tired now and it is showing..

Packers REALLY need to score and use only 4 mins, but on 4th and 5 on our 49 they punt....This is the nail in the coffin....MM blew that one BIG TIME

I know when we needed them, the def had to stop and couldnt...

But you have one of the best if not best q/b in the league and you only get a FG in 28 minutes of the 2nd half?

Why isn't anyone calling for MM head to be fired, or step down from OC? This is 2nd time in two years they couldnt score when needed to in playoffs

I understand your point, but when the other team scores 45 points and the QB puts up 444 total yards and 4 TDs....you look to the defense first. I think it was the most total yards the Pack had ever given up in a playoff game.

Not talking trash here...just sayin...I think there were much bigger problems on D than on O.

The Packers right now kinda remind me of the Niners in the early to mid 90's. Great passing game but the run game and defense kept letting them down in the big games.

Last edited:

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this thread because someone mentioned the Packers' lack of rushing in the playoff game. Above was my recap of how MM completely abandoned the run way too early in the game, despite it's actual success. I hope that MM self-scouted his betrayal and will re-commit to running Lacy until the 60-minute whistle blows
Completely agree. McCarthy had me literally screaming at the TV in the second half because he wasn't even attempting to run. Hell, it seemed like half the time the offense was coming out in 5-wide sets. I mean, at least show the possibility of a run. And then there were the play-actions in the second half when they had ran it less than a handful of times all half. Yeah, that'll work. I usually don't get too down on McCarthy's play calling, but that game... SMH

Also, putting Ross in as a return man deep in their own territory. In such a huge game. Everyone is so quick to blame Capers. McCarthy shares quite a bit of the blame for that game.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely the play calling could have been better in the second half when it was still close.

I don't have a problem with Ross being back there to return the punt, that's his strength. He fumbled it, that's on him. Was a huge turning point.

I have a hard time with absolving the defense of any of the blame that they rightfully deserve for that game. They gave up almost 600 yards and 45 points. How do you expect any offense to keep up with that against the 49er defense?

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
I'm not absolving the defense of anything. Just saying that the offense deserves plenty of blame as well. How do you expect the defense to keep up with Kaepernick and company when they can't get any rest?

As far as Ross on the punt return, that should have been Cobb. Cobb has proven himself to be sure-handed as a return man. Ross had very little experience, and that was a key punt in a do-or-die game. There is no reason Cobb should not have been the return man on that play. The only reason I imagine he wasn't is that McCarthy was worried about injury. Worry about injuries during the regular season. In the playoffs, you gotta put your best players out there to do what they do best.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand your point, but when the other team scores 45 points and the QB puts up 444 total yards and 4 TDs....you look to the defense first. I think it was the most total yards the Pack had ever given up in a playoff game.

Not talking trash here...just sayin...I think there were much bigger problems on D than on O.

The Packers right now kinda remind me of the Niners in the early to mid 90's. Great passing game but the run game and defense kept letting them down in the big games.

The def couldnt stop them from being tired..If the offense has the ball more than 4 mins on multiple series, the def gets a rest..Then is it logical to think the def being rested can hold the Niners?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The def couldnt stop them from being tired..If the offense has the ball more than 4 mins on multiple series, the def gets a rest..Then is it logical to think the def being rested can hold the Niners?

Up until the 4th quarter, the time of possession wasn't nearly as one-sided as it ended up being. And to that point, the defense still hadn't stopped the 49ers offense. Different story if the defense had been out on the field for 30 minutes going into the 4th and just been completely gassed and gave up 21 in the 4th, but that's not what happens. They were dominated just as much before the 4th as they were during the 4th.

Could the offense have helped matters by having longer drives...? Of course. But it doesn't excuse how badly the defense was dominated. Other than the opening drive, there was no indication that they were going to stop them, rested or not.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Up until the 4th quarter, the time of possession wasn't nearly as one-sided as it ended up being. And to that point, the defense still hadn't stopped the 49ers offense. Different story if the defense had been out on the field for 30 minutes going into the 4th and just been completely gassed and gave up 21 in the 4th, but that's not what happens. They were dominated just as much before the 4th as they were during the 4th.

Could the offense have helped matters by having longer drives...? Of course. But it doesn't excuse how badly the defense was dominated. Other than the opening drive, there was no indication that they were going to stop them, rested or not.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/gameflash/2013/01/12/5253/index.html#drivechart

http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/hours-minutes-calculator.htm

Packers
15 minutes, 39 seconds 3 quarters
Niners
28 minutes, 37 seconds 3 quarters

13 min difference Thats almost an entire quarter

My opinion is still the offense didnt do enough to let the defense rest..I stated my reasons and showed why I think your t-o-p reasoning is not true..

8 possessions the Niners had from the 2nd q...One was at end of game.

So only 7 possessions...6 drives were scores..one was a punt..

You didnt change my mind last time, and I wont change yours this time

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not saying the offense couldn't have done better to sustain drives. It sure would have helped.

But I hate to think our defense is so poorly conditioned that the difference between success and being historically dominated hinges on time of possession.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sure can be the difference, but I agree that it's no excuse.

We weren't going to stop Kaepernick from successfully running that read-option, but fatigue can mean the difference between a 5 yard gain and 50 yards. It just takes one or two guys to be a step slow and therefore out of position. However, the 49ers O-line dominated our D-line from the get-go and that wasn't fatigue. That was pure butt whooping

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JPP said in the post game interviews he called the pick before hand. "Honestly, I called it before it even happened in the huddle, and sure enough that was the play, the formation, the tight end, how he was set and I caught the ball."

People like to say opposing teams have Dom's defense figured out. Doesn't sound much different for McCarthy's side of the ball either.

Lakedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man up Rogers! You F'n *****. Throw till it hurts. Come in n hand off twice n not come in again. Something. Take a shot in the skin n get in there.

"Coach, coach. I think I broke my finger." Vince replies, "Do they know that?!" No! Well then get in there!!!!

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JPP said in the post game interviews he called the pick before hand. "Honestly, I called it before it even happened in the huddle, and sure enough that was the play, the formation, the tight end, how he was set and I caught the ball."

People like to say opposing teams have Dom's defense figured out. Doesn't sound much different for McCarthy's side of the ball either.

I will agree with that, ideally I would love to replace Dom and bring in a new offensive coordinator that takes play calling duties away from McCarthy this offseason. McCarthy really is not a not a very good play caller at all.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man up Rogers! You F'n *****. Throw till it hurts. Come in n hand off twice n not come in again. Something. Take a shot in the skin n get in there.

"Coach, coach. I think I broke my finger." Vince replies, "Do they know that?!" No! Well then get in there!!!!

SMH... :rolleyes:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts