Everyone blames the D where is the blame for the O

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why isn't anyone calling for MM head to be fired, or step down from OC? This is 2nd time in two years they couldnt score when needed to in playoffs

This is something I could get behind. People hate when I bring it up, but MM doesn't impress me as a coach.

With that being said, the San Fran game was an all around dismal performance. The fumbled punt was a total back breaker. You have to blame MM for having a rookie returning punts in a playoff game. At the time, the Packers were up 14-7 and I had images of 21-7 dancing in my head. The defense was terrible all night. Kapernick could do anything he wanted. Walden looked BAD along with the rest of the defense.

The only reason I think the offense carries too much blame is because Rodgers has to put the team on his back (again) and start pressing plays. It is tough when all a team can do is throw the ball. The interception to Nelson was a "let's see what happens" play.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
.... the San Fran game was an all around dismal performance. The fumbled punt was a total back breaker. You have to blame MM for having a rookie returning punts in a playoff game. At the time, the Packers were up 14-7 and I had images of 21-7 dancing in my head. The defense was terrible all night. Kapernick could do anything he wanted. Walden looked BAD along with the rest of the defense.

The only reason I think the offense carries too much blame is because Rodgers has to put the team on his back (again) and start pressing plays. It is tough when all a team can do is throw the ball. The interception to Nelson was a "let's see what happens" play.

Agree ^. Offense, special teams, but mostly defense was the culprit in this game. They hemmoraged 579 yards!!!! :notworthy:

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`m going to go out on a limb here and say it`s about time we all realised that Aaron Rodgers isn`t quite the quarterback we WANT him to be, or the LEGEND the press make him out to be. BEFORE I get jumped on, I`ll try and explain myself better. First of all he had big shoes to step into, and he did it superbly, but I can`t help but think after winning the Superbowl we ALL, including him fell for the MVP tag he got. I`m not saying he can`t become that player, and I readily admit its JUST my opinion, but I do believe he actually began to think he was above critisism. The point I am trying to make is over the past two years we are NOT serious contenders for the superbowl, and until EVERY player on the team looks at himself and accepts part of the blame and critisism, we never will be. Just my view of course

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to blame MM for having a rookie returning punts in a playoff game.

Why? Because he fumbled? Did you post in foresight that Cobb should be returning punts and not Ross? What does being a rookie have to do with it? Cobb was returning punts his entire rookie season. Including playoffs.

I think there were a LOT more people saying Cobb shouldn't be returning because he's too valuable to the offense. Which I'm sure people would be mad at MM about if Cobb had gotten hurt in the 2nd quarter of a playoff game on special teams.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? Because he fumbled? Did you post in foresight that Cobb should be returning punts and not Ross? What does being a rookie have to do with it? Cobb was returning punts his entire rookie season. Including playoffs.

I think there were a LOT more people saying Cobb shouldn't be returning because he's too valuable to the offense. Which I'm sure people would be mad at MM about if Cobb had gotten hurt in the 2nd quarter of a playoff game on special teams.

Wrong... Cobb should have been returning punts because he's been returning punts for the past two seasons. IT'S THE PLAYOFFS, YOU HAVE YOUR BEST PLAYERS ON THE FIELD AT ALL TIMES. That's why you see starters playing special teams in the playoffs.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't know if you realize this, but you have to win the first game to move to the second game. There is no "tomorrow". You don't worry about injuries in playoff game 1 effecting playoff game 2. There is no game 2 if you don't win game 1. Best players on the field at all times.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wrong... Cobb should have been returning punts because he's been returning punts for the past two seasons. IT'S THE PLAYOFFS, YOU HAVE YOUR BEST PLAYERS ON THE FIELD AT ALL TIMES. That's why you see starters playing special teams in the playoffs.

So were you calling for this to happen before Ross fumbled last week, or just now in retrospect?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ross' fumble was definitely a huge turning point, but blaming MM for it now is pretty convenient, when there was a lot more talk and questions about whether Cobb should be returning at all anymore, not whether Ross should.

I get the point about your best players, I could understand if Cobb was clearly the superior return man over Ross, but there was nothing to indicate lately that it's more than a wash up until last week.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ross' fumble was definitely a huge turning point, but blaming MM for it now is pretty convenient, when there was a lot more talk and questions about whether Cobb should be returning at all anymore, not whether Ross should.

I get the point about your best players, I could understand if Cobb was clearly the superior return man over Ross, but there was nothing to indicate lately that it's more than a wash up until last week.

MM makes the personal decisions.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I don't remember Cobb fumbling a punt on his own five, San Francisco recovering and immediately scoring.

I didn`t say he did, did I ? I said Cobb fumbled a kick which thankfully he managed to smother. I`m merely saying the guy made a mistake. Even without that, the 49ers kicked our *****. :)

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the offense deserves some criticism too. The Packers have the weapons on offense to be able to make up for a non-existent defense. But they couldn't the last 2 playoffs. Remember in 2009 when our defense couldn't stop Kurt Warner at all? Well they couldn't stop us at all, either! Our offense hasn't been as unstoppable in the playoffs since then (except for maybe the ATL game in 2010).

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is we have a poor offensive line. Our QB takes way too many sacks. And when he isn't he is making plays in spite of his protection. It's his greatness that allows that.

But the problem in the SF game was that the offense didn't have the ball enough and that's all on the defense. When you have the ball 22 minutes and the other guys have it 38 minutes the offense has to be proficient on every series. Remember the 49ers have one of the best defenses in the league. But when you are in a situation where you have to score on practically every series that's a lot to put on the offense. We put up so little resistance on defense. :(

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is we have a poor offensive line. Our QB takes way too many sacks. And when he isn't he is making plays in spite of his protection. It's his greatness that allows that.

But the problem in the SF game was that the offense didn't have the ball enough and that's all on the defense. When you have the ball 22 minutes and the other guys have it 38 the offense has to be proficient on every series. That's a lot to put on the offense. We put up so little resistance on defense. :(

When offense and one of the best q/b get the chance to help the def they fail, and get 6 mins..

Offense needs to get a Td to tie it up as it really shows we can't stop them..6 plays, 2 catches for 4 yards and one long scramble result in Packers punt...They only use 2:07 minutes.

Packers REALLY need to score and use only 4 mins, but on 4th and 5 on our 49 they punt....

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When offense and one of the best q/b get the chance to help the def they fail, and get 6 mins..

Offense needs to get a Td to tie it up as it really shows we can't stop them..6 plays, 2 catches for 4 yards and one long scramble result in Packers punt...They only use 2:07 minutes.

Packers REALLY need to score and use only 4 mins, but on 4th and 5 on our 49 they punt....

You reinforce my point when you pick out two instances when they didn't execute.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say the pass to Nelson that was intercepted wasn't "what were you thinking?".

Rodgers threw to the right guy, he was covered 1-on-1. His mistake was ball placement. If he underthrows it, Nelson gets the catch. Lead him to the right, and Nelson probably gets the catch. It is entirely possible that the ball just slipped a little.

Watch the video. That wasn't single coverage; the corner and the safety were back, tracking Nelson. Rodgers picked the wrong receiver and pulled the trigger. Dumb pass made worse by the fact that he missed receivers that actually were covered one-on-one.

Video: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000125533/Aaron-Rodgers-throws-interception

Was it possible that Nelson might have caught the ball if it were thrown better? -Sure. But throwing that kind of ball deep to a WR that has the attention of two defensive backs and hasn't gotten beyond the safety, is low percentage (unless you're throwing to someone like Megatron or AJ Green).

what was he was he thinking = he missed his target.

Poor choice of words but its the same thing

No, you were right the first time. Rodgers is human; he makes mistakes. He would say the same thing about that play.

The offense did little to sustain drives and scored just 17 points before the outcome was settled; it bears a good deal of responsibility for what happened last week.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You reinforce my point when you pick out a series when they didn't execute.

1st series= 1:50

2nd = fg and about 5 mins

3rd= 2 mins

those 3 in the 3rd q

4th q

1st series= 3 mins

Then Frisco has that 8 mins drive

Last series PAcker get garbage Td

They had 4 series and got maybe an average of 3 mins each...Did you ever think that if the off makes an 8 min drive and gives the def some time to rest maybe the def doesnt give up 8 min drives?

The offense FAILED just as bad as the def..

Rodgers has 1 td in 58 mins..UNACCEPTABLE in my eyes...Not sure about you

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

3rd= 2 mins

those 3 in the 3rd q

4th q

1st series= 3 mins

They had 4 series and got maybe an average of 3 mins each...Did you ever think that if the off makes an 8 min drive and gives the def some time to rest maybe the def doesnt give up 8 min drives?

Want to see the ticker tape on the defense? It's 579 yards, a QB set a record rushing the ball with 181 yards, 174 yards of which were untouched.

I don't think I said the offense didn't have some blame in the game. They were up against a very good defense like second in the league I think. Here is what I posted earlier: "Offense, special teams, but mostly defense was the culprit in this game. They hemmoraged 579 yards!!!! :notworthy:

But it's just unconsciousable to insuinate that the offense bears anywhere close to the responsibility the defense did. The offense has a degree of culpability but the defense was absolutely UNACCEPTABLE .

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Want to see the ticker tape on the defense? It's 579 yards, a QB set a record rushing the ball with 181 yards, 174 yards of which were untouched.

I don't think I said the offense didn't have some blame in the game. They were up against a very good defense like second in the league I think. Here is what I posted earlier: "Offense, special teams, but mostly defense was the culprit in this game. They hemmoraged 579 yards!!!! :notworthy:

But it's just unconsciousable to insuinate that the offense bears anywhere close to the responsibility the defense did.

Again

if the offense can get 8 mins drives, and gives def time to rest does that help?

Maybe the niners dont get that many yards...if the offense actually can put together drives

I guess when the offense gets 3 points in 28mins in 2nd half, that is enough for you

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again

if the offense can get 8 mins drives, and gives def time to rest does that help?

Maybe the niners dont get that many yards...if the offense actually can put together drives

I guess when the offense gets 3 points in 28mins in 2nd half, that is enough for you

The offense had the ball for 28 minutes in the second half? :roflmao: You are trying to put words in my mouth. But you're correct it was the fault of the defense we lost.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The offense had the ball for 28 minutes in the second half? :roflmao: You are trying to put words in my mouth. Just go back to defending how well the defense played.:rolleyes:

I didnt say that? Nice try...but since you seem to not know?

There is 30 mins in a half... I am not counting the last 2 mins as it was garbage time..So the 2nd half they have 28 mins to get points..Only got 3

They had 4 series to sustain a drive to give the def a break...Yet they couldnt get more than a 5 mins drive..and on avg about 3 mins..

and show me where I said def played well?? I said they sucked..since you are trying to be an ***, time to stop reading you again

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

3rd= 2 mins

those 3 in the 3rd q

4th q

1st series= 3 mins

That part is true. Yes.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didnt say that? Nice try...but since you seem to not know?

There is 30 mins in a half... I am not counting the last 2 mins as it was garbage time..So the 2nd half they have 28 mins to get points..Only got 3

They had 4 series to sustain a drive to give the def a break...Yet they couldnt get more than a 5 mins drive..and on avg about 3 mins..

and show me where I said def played well?? I said they sucked..since you are trying to be an ***, time to stop reading you again

I reviewed this thread and maybe I missed it but I didn't see that you said the defense sucked. Have a sense of humor I was jerking your chain. I won't reciprocate with name calling. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts