Even if we lose to Dallas...

FromIrving

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
This game is full of great matchups.

I agree 100%

I'm interested in seeing the game plan Jason Garrett has put together to attack the Green Bay defense.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny,

Before this season started, I would have just been happy with a winning season. Now we are sitting 10 and 1 and I would love for us to beat the Cowgirls on Thursday. Human nature is a funny thing as I guess we are always wanting more at times. Now that I have finished blabbing about nothing, this game scares the bleep out of me; however, if we win, we have control over the NFC. If we lose, we are still 10 and 2 and will have great potential come playoff time and get a 2cnd shot at the Cowgirls ( when I would prefer to beat them ) !!!

Bottom Line, I am going to enjoy this game no matter what because we are playoff bound in very good position !!!!

But let's whoop em anyways !!

Cowboysfan178

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It should be a good game but you guys are way too unbalanced for your own good. You also have at least 2 d-lineman out (Colin Cole and Johhny Jolly) and it looks like KGB is out with knee and ankle Sprains. Woodson has an injured toe and Driver is roughed up. Those injuries may hurt your chances some but I guess we will find out. Should be a nice game if you stay balanced but if you do what you did against the Lions your liable to have some huge interceptions because this team is a big play defense and is only outdone INT wise by the Chargers. It will be a highly pumped up game and it will be a pain to wait for. I hope to talk to you guys some more in the future.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
It should be a good game but you guys are way too unbalanced for your own good. You also have at least 2 d-lineman out (Colin Cole and Johhny Jolly) and it looks like KGB is out with knee and ankle Sprains. Woodson has an injured toe and Driver is roughed up. Those injuries may hurt your chances some but I guess we will find out. Should be a nice game if you stay balanced but if you do what you did against the Lions your liable to have some huge interceptions because this team is a big play defense and is only outdone INT wise by the Chargers. It will be a highly pumped up game and it will be a pain to wait for. I hope to talk to you guys some more in the future.

The question of the game, can your secondary cover 4 and 5 wide packages? Can Williams play big in coverage on a big game? By the way the Pats game went, I think we know the answer.

But I agree with you, we will need to run the ball at your front and control the ball. Frustrate TO and limit the ground game, forcing the game to go around TO will be the key on defense. Another objective is to keep Romo in the pocket and limit the stress on our secondary, he has a nack to make plays moving like Favre.

Overall it should be a great game. Hey Cowboysfan178 provide a link to the Cowboy board that you migrated from... it might be fun to post there this week.

Cowboysfan178

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cowboysfan178 said:

The question of the game, can your secondary cover 4 and 5 wide packages? Can Williams play big in coverage on a big game? By the way the Pats game went, I think we know the answer.

But I agree with you, we will need to run the ball at your front and control the ball. Frustrate TO and limit the ground game, forcing the game to go around TO will be the key on defense. Another objective is to keep Romo in the pocket and limit the stress on our secondary, he has a nack to make plays moving like Favre.

Overall it should be a great game. Hey Cowboysfan178 provide a link to the Cowboy board that you migrated from... it might be fun to post there this week.

http://blog.dallascowboys.com/forums/

I agree Williams is not quite the stud in coverage but I noticed last week they took him out a couple passing plays so he might not be a factor this game when its a known passing situation. Also I do realize we were burnt by the Pats but let be true with ourselves here , the Packers are not as potent as the Patriots in any way but still can cause us trouble.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

I agree Williams is not quite the stud in coverage but I noticed last week they took him out a couple passing plays so he might not be a factor this game when its a known passing situation. Also I do realize we were burnt by the Pats but let be true with ourselves here , the Packers are not as potent as the Patriots in any way but still can cause us trouble.

Thanks for the link .. I will check it out later tonight.

Not saying we are as explosive as the Pats and specifically Moss, but we do have deep threat in Jennings and can cause alot of stress on a secondary with 5 quality recievers, Donald Lee, and a number of backs in routes. Don't discount our receivers because they don't have the name recognition of Moss or Owens. I would say we probably have the most complete reciever group in the NFL.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cowboysfan178 said:

Thanks for the link .. I will check it out later tonight.

Not saying we are as explosive as the Pats and specifically Moss, but we do have deep threat in Jennings and can cause alot of stress on a secondary with 5 quality recievers, Donald Lee, and a number of backs in routes. Don't discount our receivers because they don't have the name recognition of Moss or Owens. I would say we probably have the most complete reciever group in the NFL.

I would say New England is 1 and Green Bay is 1A in terms of depth at the receiver position.

No defense can cover 5 wide receivers when the QB is as on as Favre has been. Dallas especially can't with their safeties. I think New England would have problems with it. The key for Dallas is to pressure Favre and don't let him get in any type of rhythm. If they do that then they slow the offense down. So far nobody has really done that at all this season.

The offense is actually very balance when it wants to be. If you watch the Lions game closely they were daring the Packers to throw. They actually brought a few guys in the box which surprised me. I think they felt that Favre would make mistakes and they would capitalize by making interceptions. He didn't.

To me the game is all about the safeties play on both sides. Both teams like to throw. Dallas is more balance but their bread and butter is Romo dropping back and making plays. If TO and Witten can exploit the Packers deep then Dallas is going to be in great shape. Like wise Green Bay obviously will throw and I think GB will do it well.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder why people still say we're unblalanced. It's like they take the first half of the year and all assumptions are made. I do belive Grant has 3 100 yard rushing games lately

Cowboysfan178

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder why people still say we're unblalanced. It's like they take the first half of the year and all assumptions are made. I do belive Grant has 3 100 yard rushing games lately

I agree that as of late your running game has been pretty good but I believe Grant had something like 2 carries for 5 yards in the 1st half , most of his yards were in garbage time when they were just trying to finish off that game. Not that it matters though Dallas has had much better RBs do nothing this year and I'd be surprised if Grant gets over 50 yards. One thing this defense is great at is stopping the run , it has not allowed a 100 yard rusher to date.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record....

I was told that N.F.L. Dot Com. Will have a live feed of the broadcast for anyone who has a computer. Which of course is all of us on this forum, and almost all of America.

I am going to find a Packer Bar in Tampa that has the NFL Newtwork... Anyone still have that link to packer Bars In America?

R.P.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi Cowboysfan178. I like your posts and of course the Packers pass way, way more than they run. But I'm not buying what you are selling.

Grant was not getting most of his yards in "garbage time", unless a one-possession lead with six minutes left is garbage time. I call that crunch time. The game was never as close as the final score indicated, however, those last six minutes were not garbage time.

We need only two things out of our running game: to keep defenses honest and close out the game with the lead. Grant does both.

He also ran for 100 on Minnesota's then #1 running defense, again, not in garbage time.

As for his carries in the first half---how would it have benefited the Packers to call more running plays? Favre was on fire and they gave up 20 completions in a row.

Cowboysfan178

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
Hi Cowboysfan178. I like your posts and of course the Packers pass way, way more than they run. But I'm not buying what you are selling.

Grant was not getting most of his yards in "garbage time", unless a one-possession lead with six minutes left is garbage time. I call that crunch time. The game was never as close as the final score indicated, however, those last six minutes were not garbage time.

We need only two things out of our running game: to keep defenses honest and close out the game with the lead. Grant does both.

He also ran for 100 on Minnesota's then #1 running defense, again, not in garbage time.

As for his carries in the first half---how would it have benefited the Packers to call more running plays? Favre was on fire and they gave up 20 completions in a row.

Well I think I misused the phrase "garbage time" but what I meant was more that he's not involved when the game is just starting. I never see him really making a effect until the 2nd half. I mean I believe he got 2 carries for 5 yards in the 1st half last game. Thats just very weird for any team to do that I don't care who they are. I think he has skill but I don't think he is all as good as he is made out to be. I mean after Farve kills you for 3+ quarters I'd expect the running game to light it up. But like I said before none of this matters much for this game because Dallas will never be down enough for the Pack to sustain the run plus Dallas has been pretty good against the run anyway. This game will come down to which team passes better and defends the pass better.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Yeah it'd be great to have home field throughout playoffs, but at this point just having the 1st round bye is more than a good consolation prize.

As long as we get the first round bye and give our key players a chance to rest up, I wouldn't mind too much finishing 2nd in the NFC.

My main concern now is having everyone healthy for the playoffs. Having a first round bye will make a world of difference.

Seeing that the team with the closet record after Dallas is the Giants, we already have head-to-head with them.

We're in a good situation to be in.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My main concern now is having everyone healthy for the playoffs. Having a first round bye will make a world of difference.

Seeing that the team with the closet record after Dallas is the Giants, we already have head-to-head with them.

Having the head-to-head advantage with the Giants is meaningless, because the Packers will win their division and the Giants will be a wild card at best. The four division winners get the top four seeds. At the moment, the Packers are tied with the Cowboys and three and a half games ahead of the other two division leaders, the Bucaneers and Seahawks.

Barring a collapse, it looks like the Packers are going to get a first round bye, so the fight with Dallas for the #1 seed is their main battle. I can hardly believe I'm writing this, with five games still left to play. Things are going well.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Having the head-to-head advantage with the Giants is meaningless, because the Packers will win their division and the Giants will be a wild card at best. The four division winners get the top four seeds. At the moment, the Packers are tied with the Cowboys and three and a half games ahead of the other two division leaders, the Bucaneers and Seahawks.

Barring a collapse, it looks like the Packers are going to get a first round bye, so the fight with Dallas for the #1 seed is their main battle. I can hardly believe I'm writing this, with five games still left to play. Things are going well.

Greg - Thanks for the correction. I'll need to re-read the playoff scenarios.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I think I misused the phrase "garbage time" but what I meant was more that he's not involved when the game is just starting. I never see him really making a effect until the 2nd half. I mean I believe he got 2 carries for 5 yards in the 1st half last game. Thats just very weird for any team to do that I don't care who they are. I think he has skill but I don't think he is all as good as he is made out to be. I mean after Farve kills you for 3+ quarters I'd expect the running game to light it up. But like I said before none of this matters much for this game because Dallas will never be down enough for the Pack to sustain the run plus Dallas has been pretty good against the run anyway. This game will come down to which team passes better and defends the pass better.

Cowboysfan - Welcome to the site and it's been a pleasure reading your perspective.

I have a feeling you haven't watched Grant for a full game. If you've followed the Packers, we only have 2 RBs that break tackles - Grant, and Wynn. Wynn is out for a year, so Grant is our main man now.

Grant is better than people realize. When you watch him run, watch what happens when a defender gets his initial hit on Grant. Grant's legs keep moving and he keeps going forward. Often, the defender "falls off" and Grant breaks free.

It's really been a pleasure to watch because our 2nd round draft pick (Jackson) and our projected starter (Morency) usually go down after that first hit and rely on holes to get any positive yardage. Grant doesn't do this. With or without a hole, he's gaining yardage. I guarantee you the Giants are kicking themselves for getting only a 6th for Grant. Grant next year should easily gain 1000+ yards, and this is playing on a team that rarely runs.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is not for sure that the Pack and The Cowboys will meet again in the NFC Championship.

Now if the season ended today.... I would say there is a much better chance that the Cowboys lose to the Bucs or Giants..... Than there is that the Pack lose to the Seahawks or Lions.

However.... The season does not end today... But here is how it would line up if it did end today. Based on this Playoff match up... I like the Bucs or Giants over the Cowboys as an upset compared to the Seahwks or Lions upsetting the Packers.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace/bracket

R.P.

Cowboysfan178

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
It is not for sure that the Pack and The Cowboys will meet again in the NFC Championship.

Now if the season ended today.... I would say there is a much better chance that the Cowboys lose to the Bucs or Giants..... Than there is that the Pack lose to the Seahawks or Lions.

However.... The season does not end today... But here is how it would line up if it did end today. Based on this Playoff match up... I like the Bucs or Giants over the Cowboys as an upset compared to the Seahwks or Lions upsetting the Packers.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace/bracket

R.P.

See what I don't get is how you figure Dallas can lose to the Giants... We've kicked their butts handily twice.... Now the Bucs are unkown since we have not and will not play them until the postseason.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See what I don't get is how you figure Dallas can lose to the Giants... We've kicked their butts handily twice.... Now the Bucs are unkown since we have not and will not play them until the postseason.

Dallas would kill the Giants in the Playoffs. Eli will throw at least 3 INTs.
If I'm surprised at anything, it's that both games have been within 2 TDs. The Giants don't belong in the same sentence as Dallas.

You'd kill the Bucs too. When they play a solid team, they get beaten.

I'd say at least 75% chance it's the Packers & the Cows in the Championship game. Winner plays NE. I know that sounds boring and everyone else and their Grandma is saying that, but that's what's most likely going to happen.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Seattle is the team to watch out for. Green Bay or Dallas could potentially get a good game from them if their clicking.

Cowboysfan178

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Seattle is the team to watch out for. Green Bay or Dallas could potentially get a good game from them if their clicking.

Eh they are alright but they have crappy RBs.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dallas isnt losing to TB or SEA or NY. Only one who can beat them is the Packers in the NFC. I think our running game is a little better than you give credit for Cowboyfan but i also dont think our run game is as good as we think. Its not bad, still needs an O-line adjustment or 2 in the offseason to make perfect but i wouldnt call it a weakness since we can light it up in the passing game and defenses cant put 7 or 8 in the box ever.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On any given day, any team can beat any other team. (Remember, thats why we have one loss!)
This game is important, but it's NOT the Super Bowl. Its JUST one of sixteen.
I DON'T want the team so focused on this game that they have a letdown after it, or alot of hard work will go to waste.

FromIrving

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On any given day, any team can beat any other team. (Remember, thats why we have one loss!)
This game is important, but it's NOT the Super Bowl. Its JUST one of sixteen.
I DON'T want the team so focused on this game that they have a letdown after it, or alot of hard work will go to waste.

Very well said

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Dallas isnt losing to TB or SEA or NY. Only one who can beat them is the Packers in the NFC. I think our running game is a little better than you give credit for Cowboyfan but i also dont think our run game is as good as we think. Its not bad, still needs an O-line adjustment or 2 in the offseason to make perfect but i wouldnt call it a weakness since we can light it up in the passing game and defenses cant put 7 or 8 in the box ever.

Yes. We will definitely get some OL adjustments in the offseason. I'm more inclined to give credit to Ryan Grant than the OL for our running game. He's been having to create his own holes.

It's not a weakness, because we have one of the best QBs in the NFL right now who picks apart Ds and this opens up the run. But a good running game would open up play action more for us, and make Favre even more dangerous.

Members online

Latest posts