Even if we lose to Dallas...

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being at 10-2 with 4 games to play is still a pretty good situation to be in.

We won the game we really needed to today to put some distance between us and the rest of the NFC North as well as giving us the immediate tiebreaker over Detroit.

12 wins is probably good enough to lock up a 1st round bye (I don't see either Tampa or Seattle winning out), and considering how weak our December schedule is, going 2-2 in December shouldn't be a problem. We're definitely good enough to go 13-3 at least.

Now I hope we can beat Dallas and get a leg up on HFA in the NFC, but it's not the end of the world if the Packers don't, especially considering our current injuries on defense. The important thing in my book is to remain and get as healthy as possible in December, get a first round bye (and HFA if possible), and be ready to go in January for whomever comes to Lambeau.

Reaction score
Yeah it'd be great to have home field throughout playoffs, but at this point just having the 1st round bye is more than a good consolation prize.

As long as we get the first round bye and give our key players a chance to rest up, I wouldn't mind too much finishing 2nd in the NFC.

slowsinistermo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care about home field advantage nearly as much in this game as I just want to beat the cowboys...

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the fact that brett has never won in Dallas...****** me off. I want that to change.

Im hoping that Tony Romo pulls a double agent move and tanks the game due to his undying connection with Wisconsin. not that im really scared of Tony Romo anyway. hes the luckiest sum***** ive ever seen. that golden horseshoe up his *** has got to fall out sometime. i think were just the team to do it.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldnt' want to win simply because Romo tanks. I'd want to beat them soundly and completely - and then do it over again!! I think this team can do it.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being at 10-2 with 4 games to play is still a pretty good situation to be in.

We won the game we really needed to today to put some distance between us and the rest of the NFC North as well as giving us the immediate tiebreaker over Detroit.

12 wins is probably good enough to lock up a 1st round bye (I don't see either Tampa or Seattle winning out), and considering how weak our December schedule is, going 2-2 in December shouldn't be a problem. We're definitely good enough to go 13-3 at least.

Now I hope we can beat Dallas and get a leg up on HFA in the NFC, but it's not the end of the world if the Packers don't, especially considering our current injuries on defense. The important thing in my book is to remain and get as healthy as possible in December, get a first round bye (and HFA if possible), and be ready to go in January for whomever comes to Lambeau.

Agreed. The first-round bye is the big prize, whether or not the Packers get home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Recent history shows that home field advantage means very little in conference championship games. But I will also say that because these teams are so evenly matched, any little advantage could be meaningful.

I think there is more pressure on the Cowboys in this game than there is on the Packers. They are playing at home, the national media are in love with them, and they are expected to win. The Cowboys are a young team, and this is new territory for them.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Losing to the Cowpokes is not an option.. we need this game to gain the straight up tie-breaker with this team... Players play the season with the goal of one thing.. to play in the playoff and make a run at the Superbowl.

This game is a brick in the road to securing the goal... force the road to go through Green Bay in January... to me, this is an early playoff game, the only difference is we get a mulligan if we come up short this time.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not all for the defeatist mentality of this thread. I understand what ppl are getting at, but screw losing, why even consider that as an option?

No matter how you color it, HFA would be a huge advantage for the packers, and I'd love to have an ice bowl rematch for the nfc champ game!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not all for the defeatist mentality of this thread. I understand what ppl are getting at, but screw losing, why even consider that as an option?

No matter how you color it, HFA would be a huge advantage for the packers, and I'd love to have an ice bowl rematch for the nfc champ game!

Point taken, but I think we're just looking at the game the same way the coaches and players are. It's a very important regular season game. But that's it. A win does not guarantee anything, and a loss does not mean the season is over. Although the Packers will devote all their efforts in the next week to preparing for this game and playing it, they will need to keep an even keel regardless of the outcome. There will still be four more games to play, then the playoffs.

packerman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack will win if Bigby decides to look for the ball while its in the air instead of looking like a HS DB out there when it comes clutch time...ie, 4th qrtr of almost every game this yr..most notable...Bears game. We cant afford that this Thurs....bc the game is ours, we can shut down the run, ask Mr AP...and they cannot stop the passing attack, esp 5 big....ask the Patriots...their secondary is very suspect....with that said, its not our game to win, but our game to lose....even in Dallas!

bt_impaler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we lose this game, it might be a blessing in disguise. With the design of our offense, we seem a lot better suited to play in fair weather. Whereas the Cowboys, with Marion Barber and Julius Jones, can run really well in cold weather with their drive blocking. I like Grant and how he's performed, but our short yardage rushing is sub-par in the zone scheme. If Woodson's healthy, I think we have a damn good shot at beating them - but I'd rather let Woodson get healthy and be 100% for the entire playoffs than risk him now and possibly not have him for the rest of the season. Plus, I'd get some satisfaction of Favre playing hte NFC championship in Dallas and finally beating their butts down there.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
greg...I know what you're getting at, but if we were playing the dolphins, there probably wouldn't be a "well it's not the end of the world if we lose" thread preceeding the game, likely because we would anticipate beating them. A thread like this seems like some sort of "face saving" defense mechanism to soften the blow of something ppl appear to be anticipating.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
bt_impaler said:
If we lose this game, it might be a blessing in disguise. With the design of our offense, we seem a lot better suited to play in fair weather. Whereas the Cowboys, with Marion Barber and Julius Jones, can run really well in cold weather with their drive blocking. I like Grant and how he's performed, but our short yardage rushing is sub-par in the zone scheme. If Woodson's healthy, I think we have a damn good shot at beating them - but I'd rather let Woodson get healthy and be 100% for the entire playoffs than risk him now and possibly not have him for the rest of the season. Plus, I'd get some satisfaction of Favre playing hte NFC championship in Dallas and finally beating their butts down there.

Interesting take and in part I agree with what you are saying... our offense will suffer in the fridged cold. I still think the elements would favor us overall and tilt the advantage to us.

Interesting thought.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bt_impaler said:

Interesting take and in part I agree with what you are saying... our offense will suffer in the fridged cold. I still think the elements would favor us overall and tilt the advantage to us.

Interesting thought.

true enough, but Favre has mentioned how hard it is for him to get a feel for Texas Stadium (God's toilet) because of the high crown of the field. so you could argue for both points. me? i just want to win every single time we play. call me crazy.

bt_impaler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a good point you bring up about the crown of the field - I remember hearing Favre comment on that in the past (and partially explains his often erratic passing down there). I want to win every game as well. And I think if we're healthy, we match up very well against them and should beat them wherever we play. Dallas' weakness lies in the secondary and our passing offense is one of the best in the league (I know #1 in yards but the Patriots have converted their yards into many more TDs). If we rest our injured against Dallas, that gives them a solid one and a half weeks to get healthy. The bottom line - yes I want to win now, but it's more important to have our key players healthy to win in the playoffs.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
true enough, but Favre has mentioned how hard it is for him to get a feel for Texas Stadium (God's toilet) because of the high crown of the field. so you could argue for both points. me? i just want to win every single time we play. call me crazy.

Did Favre really mention that? I thought that was entirely a John Madden theory. Anyway, I seem to recall that the field had been flattened out at some point. I could be wrong about that. And if this field with the big crown really does have a negative effect on Brett Favre, why don't we hear other QB's talking about it?

I do remember Favre throwing a lot of high passes early in games in that stadium, but I always thought it was just because he had too much adrenaline and it was throwing his mechanics off a bit. I really don't expect the field to be a factor in this game.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bt_impaler said:
If we lose this game, it might be a blessing in disguise. With the design of our offense, we seem a lot better suited to play in fair weather. Whereas the Cowboys, with Marion Barber and Julius Jones, can run really well in cold weather with their drive blocking.

Thats a damn interesting take. I agree, our offense should play better in Dallas than Green Bay in January IF the cowboys make it to the championship game. Kind of like a win-win situation this week. Hmmm.

FromIrving

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I CAN NOT wait for this game. As a Dallas fan I was rooting for the Packers to beat the Lions.

From a Cowboys fans point of view ... I see this game as a win/win ... Obviously the first goal would be to win the game and get the edge at obtaining home field throughout the playoffs. If the Cowboys win this game they continue to hold a mental edge over Brett Farve in Texas Stadium.

If the Packers win the Cowboys would likely have to go into Lambeau in January. In just about every season that would be a very bad thing for any team, however this year is a little bit different. Neither QB will exactly be able to sling the ball around so it's going to come down to which team can run the ball and which team can stop the run. The Packers have a very good defense however Dallas is one of the best in the NFL at stopping the run. Dallas also has a better overall running game than the Packers.

Then there is the fact that Romo will be playing in front of what is basically his hometown (even though he is from Burlington). He will have that extra motivation that a player gets from playing in front of family and friends.

Either way it is going to be a VERY exciting game.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think young Romo coming to Lambeau in January is a good thing?

Well, that's just like your opinion, man.

Should be a good game.

FromIrving

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Should be a good game.

If Romo were a rookie (or even a 2nd year player) and had never met his childhood idol (Farve) I might be worried but Romo is 27 years old and has been in the NFL for 4 years. There won't be any "awe" factor with him. As for the weather ... the guy grew up in Wisconsin and played college ball in Illinois. The weather won't be a problem for him.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Should be a good game.

If Romo were a rookie (or even a 2nd year player) and had never met his childhood idol (Farve) I might be worried but Romo is 27 years old and has been in the NFL for 4 years. There won't be any "awe" factor with him. As for the weather ... the guy grew up in Wisconsin and played college ball in Illinois. The weather won't be a problem for him.

I have to disagree with you friend. I live in Minneapolis, so i know cold, and i have to tell you, the cold is a problem for everyone. EVERYONE. that includes Favre and the rest of the Packers team. by having familiarity with the cold (ie. experience working in the cold day after day), you can downplay the problems that comes with playing in the cold. the cold will be a problem for Romo, and everyone else. how much of a problem, that is debatable.

Members online

Latest posts