Evans suspended.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He came off the bench to join the fracas. That's a definite suspension. With him out and Jones and Godwin banged up that's a big break for the Packers. Looks like Perriman, Scotty Miller and some practice squad guys.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the NFL, timing is everything. If Evans suspension holds, the Bucs will rush Godwin, Jones or even both of them back. Funny how sometimes guys "heal" very fast. Most teams aren't going into a big game with their top 3 WR's out. No matter, Walker and Campbell will play an even bigger role if they go with more underneath stuff.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was shocked with how few yards the Buccs put up honestly however inside a dome nonetheless. They will be ready however for sure...gonna be a TOUGH environment against a TOUGH team.

Reaction score
As far as this game? GB can redeem themselves some for that embarrassing NFC game @Home.
Coach MLF has played Brady enough to understand his weaknesses and strengths.

This game is our redemption game and I believe we gave a good Defense to slow a nicked up Tampa Offense.
Julio is coming off an injury.
Evans is out
No Gronk this year
Fournette is not 100% and you could see that in his pedestrian game this week.

Jameis Winston was limited injured all week and NO had 5 Turnovers and played without his RB1 (Kamara) but NO still averaged 5.1 yards per carry. Expect GB to rotate in Jones-Dillon-Taylor and rush 30+ times at 4.6 per in that 135-150 yards rushing area.

Rodgers will only need 200+ Passing and 1 INT or less to make this a game. For once we have the better Punter and our past disaster at ST is vastly improved from what they will expect. At Lambeau I’d have this EVEN odds, at Tampa we’re in that 2.5-3.5 underdog.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as this game? GB can redeem themselves some for that embarrassing NFC game @Home.
Coach MLF has played Brady enough to understand his weaknesses and strengths.
This game is our redemption game

We will have to tackle much better than we did against the Bears IMO. I foresee the Buccs leaning on run game seeing how easily Bears moved the ball doing so.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if we're going to beat them, I want to beat them. If we don't, I want to know what they used to their strengths when everyone was available.

Reaction score
We will have to tackle much better than we did against the Bears IMO. I foresee the Buccs leaning on run game seeing how easily Bears moved the ball doing so.
While that is true, keep in mind much of our maligned Run a Defense against Chicago was because we were up 2 scores and initially playing not to allow a big play downfield with under 10:00 on the game clock.
It got a little dicey for sure, but we’re not going to give them an easy big play and thus played a deeper coverage also. We were below average at tackling and I suspect it will be more a focus if Barry’s face was an indicator. Lol

Tampa rushed 30-72 yards (2.7 per)
I’m telling you Fournette isn’t back to 100% if he’s 25 rushes for 65 yards. We need to shut him down by having Walker spy him.
Ronald Jones is in K.C.
We need to keep Fournette under
<4 yards per and put some blitz packages together for Brady. This isn’t Kevin King playing Evans anymore.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that is true, keep in mind much of our maligned Run a Defense against Chicago was because we were up 2 scores and initially playing not to allow a big play downfield with under 10:00 on the game clock.
It got a little dicey for sure, but we’re not going to give them an easy big play and thus played a deeper coverage also. We were below average at tackling and I suspect it will be more a focus if Barry’s face was an indicator. Lol

Tampa rushed 30-72 yards (2.7 per)
I’m telling you Fournette isn’t back to 100% if he’s 25 rushes for 65 yards. We need to shut him down by having Walker spy him.
Ronald Jones is in K.C.
We need to keep Fournette under
<4 yards per and put some blitz packages together for Brady. This isn’t Kevin King playing Evans anymore.

Not true their first drive was insanely easy on the ground, their success wasn’t always in situation as you outlined. I agree some was for sure, won’t deny that.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with a lead, the run defense shouldn't be a sieve. That's a poor excuse. It's not like the Bears have such a great passing attack that the defense has to give up big yards on the ground to prevent getting beat with deep passes.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL VP of Operations, Jon Runyan, issued the suspension. Some on twitter are claiming conflict of interest.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely. Tackling in the second half was bad by the front seven. Campbell will especially have to step up. How your ILB isn’t leading every game in tackling is surprising to me. If there’s a secondary player with more tackles than a LB that means he’s not doing his job.

D

Deleted member 6794

That will help a bit, sucks for them.

I don't care that it sucks for the Bucks at all ;)

I was shocked with how few yards the Buccs put up honestly however inside a dome nonetheless. They will be ready however for sure...gonna be a TOUGH environment against a TOUGH team.

For whatever reason the Bucs have had trouble generating offense against the Saints as of late. They entered Sunday's game having lost seven consecutive games to them in the regular season while averaging only 298.8 total yards per game.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The big key I think is NOT playing zone against Brady. Barry calls zone and it might be a feeding frenzy. Scotty was dropping some balls last week. Godwin will show up I think. The TE coverage and run D will need to be sharp. Anytime a DC decides to play zone vs Brady spells disaster.

Reaction score
Not true their first drive was insanely easy on the ground, their success wasn’t always in situation as you outlined. I agree some was for sure, won’t deny that.
I didn’t say always in my outline ?

Btw. That drive you brought up? It accounted for 40 rushing yards

Where is the other 140 yards of Bears rushing??
The Bears rushed or 180 yards Total
Here it is.

Bears
Possession1 40 rushing
Possession2 -5 rushing
Possession3 8 rushing
Possession4 -5 rushing
Possession5 0 rushing

It might surprise you that Chicago rushed for 38 yards in the first half (8:58 clock)
That means 142 yards came in the second half of the game when Chicago got behind by multiple scores. They chose to Run to a fault Half 2 and it ate the game clock (13:02)

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t say always in my outline ?

Btw. That drive you brought up? It accounted for 40 rushing yards

Where is the other 140 yards of Bears rushing??
The Bears rushed or 180 yards Total

Let me answer that.

Bears
Possession1 40 rushing
Possession2 -5 rushing
Possession3 8 rushing
Possession4 -5 rushing
Possession5 0 rushing
:) I'm just saying the ground game rolled that first drive easier, I concur you didn't say always.

Reaction score
:) I'm just saying the ground game rolled that first drive easier, I concur you didn't say always.
np. Look back though.
Chicago rushed for much more as the game closes out. We want them to burn that clock (run but not score) There’s a trade off in probability there.
You don’t want to get gashed for big ones. But every rushing play under ~5 yards is a Win. 75 yards divided by 4.5 per carry is 17 running plays. At :40 per play that’s 765 sec used by 60 sec per minute?
12 min off the game clock. That does not include our drives!

That’s just 17 runs. If they run more and don’t use the sideline under 5 min in the half they eventually just run out of time. 1 mistake in the 4th quarter essentially ends the game. Voila

D

Deleted member 6794

np. Look back though.
Chicago rushed for much more as the game closes out. We want them to burn that clock (run but not score) There’s a trade off in probability there.
You don’t want to get gashed for big ones. But every rushing play under ~5 yards is a Win. 75 yards divided by 4.5 per carry is 17 running plays. At :40 per play that’s 765 sec used by 60 sec per minute?
12 min off the game clock. That does not include our drives!

That’s just 17 runs. If they run more and don’t use the sideline under 5 min in the half they eventually just run out of time. 1 mistake in the 4th quarter essentially ends the game. Voila

I definitely agree that the Packers don't want to give up a big play in those situations and therefore focus on defending the pass but I would still feel more comfortable about the unit if they were able to limit the Bears yardage running the ball for most of the second half as well.

Reaction score
I definitely agree that the Packers don't want to give up a big play in those situations and therefore focus on defending the pass but I would still feel more comfortable about the unit if they were able to limit the Bears yardage running the ball for most of the second half as well.
Sure. I agree that Nobody wants to give up yards unnecessarily, but ideally you would rather entice them to help burn that clock. I don’t care if they gave 200 yards rushing as long as the clock to yardage probability continues to diminish our opponent Win %
One aspect of the game that some casual fans forget about (actually we’ve all seen NFL Coaches make terrible clock mistakes) is using proper clock management and staying within the rulebook. When Vrable used it on Bill Belicik a few years ago it drove him absolutely nuts. Bill fully understood that the time Vrable bled by taking successive penalties was literally the equivalent of points on each successful false start, illegal motion. Some guys just know that secret and Bills Red face told me he knew it and knew it very well. I might not know Football, but I know risk assessment and it applies to any sport and it’s actually an art unto itself.

That drive that the Bears gashed us looked horrible to a casual fan. But I watched that clock and after 4 minutes if the Bears didn’t come away with 7-8 points it was game over (it took them 6+ minutes and they didn’t even score). Matt knows this and and actually complimented Barry recently for staying true to his ultimate mission, even while many thought we were being assaulted, it wasn’t nearly as bad as we thought. The object is to WIN, not score yards. You could say we toyed with the Bears and the proof is in the end result. Allow that run yards gashing in qtr 1-2, then I’d more agree with you

PS. If you get time. Add up how many NET rushing yards (including negative plays) the Bears had through the first 3 full quarters. Go ahead and include the 25 net rushing we gifted them after our Rodgers Fumble also.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure. I agree that Nobody wants to give up yards unnecessarily, but ideally you would rather entice them to help burn that clock. I don’t care if they gave 200 yards rushing as long as the clock to yardage probability continues to diminish our opponent Win %
One aspect of the game that some casual fans forget about (actually we’ve all seen NFL Coaches make terrible clock mistakes) is using proper clock management and staying within the rulebook. When Vrable used it on Bill Belicik a few years ago it drove him absolutely nuts. Bill fully understood that the time Vrable bled by taking successive penalties was literally the equivalent of points on each successful false start, illegal motion. Some guys just know that secret and Bills Red face told me he knew it and knew it very well. I might not know Football, but I know risk assessment and it applies to any sport and it’s actually an art unto itself.

That drive that the Bears gashed us looked horrible to a casual fan. But I watched that clock and after 4 minutes if the Bears didn’t come away with 7-8 points it was game over (it took them 6+ minutes and they didn’t even score). Matt knows this and and actually complimented Barry recently for staying true to his ultimate mission, even while many thought we were being assaulted, it wasn’t nearly as bad as we thought. The object is to WIN, not score yards. You could say we toyed with the Bears and the proof is in the end result. Allow that run yards gashing in qtr 1-2, then I’d more agree with you

PS. If you get time. Add up how many NET rushing yards (including negative plays) the Bears had through the first 3 full quarters. Go ahead and include the 25 net rushing we gifted them after our Rodgers Fumble also.
If I heard roght, Pack Def was 1 for 7 on 3rd down conversion

D

Deleted member 6794

Once again, I agree that it's better to force an opponent to take time off the clock when moving the ball but I would definitely prefer the defense to not give up those years at all. If the Bears would have scored on that drive (and they came within inches of doing it) it would have been a one score game with eight minutes left.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
other than weaker tackling efforts, I didn't have a problem with what they were doing. I have no problem giving up 3-7 yards at a time with the clock running in that situation. It was the half assed tackling that gave up the huge chunks that made it seem worse than it needed to.

Members online

Latest posts