1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Evan Dietrich-Smith

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by El Guapo, Nov 1, 2012.

1. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,443
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...uld-help-heal-injuries-ii7e8s9-176703751.html

I did notice EDS in the game a few times on Sunday. At first I had to remember who #61 was on the roster. I like the idea of using a EDS to improve the running game. Our tightends haven't contributed much to the passing game so why not put a pure blocker in there? Besides, I'm sure that MM is setting up some poor saps (Vikings) for a rare passing play to EDS in a critical situation.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,956
    This is from McGinn's review/analysis of the Jaguars game:
    I know some here aren't fans of EDS but I thought he did pretty well replacing Sitton last year. He'd have to be better than Saturday at OC in the run game but I'm not advocating for him to take over at OC.

3. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    I would love to see a physical presence in the running game. Maybe it would rub off on some of the other guys.

4. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,443
    Does that include putting Raji at fullback? :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. mradtke66

mradtke66 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +187
    I would not be surprised if EDS gets playing time at center by the end of the year. The potential problems I see with him vs. Saturday is how opposite they are. Saturday is the heady pass protector who makes the line calls. EDS, well, EDS SMASH.

We could probably use some of that--I think Saturday more than any other reason is hurting the run game, but we need to make sure we can live with the potential drop offs in calls and pass protection.

And we haven't talked about breaking up continuity on the line, which is a risk in and off itself.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    THE FREEZER!

7. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I would like to see more of a physical presence at a number of positions. For instance who on defense emulates Matthews? I'm just not sure things like that rub off.

8. Chicocheese

Chicocheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +209
    Maybe it is just me, but I think taking Saturday away from the Center position is a crazy idea. I am not saying that EDS is incapable of playing the position but Saturday's knowledge and experience is incredibly valuable.

EDS at FB, TE, or even in at the Full House formation would be killer! That kind of lead blocking can really open up a hole for Alex Green to burst through, or Starks.

I remember EDS doing a good job last year filling in for the various injured linemen we had. Maybe make a multi-position blocker?

9. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,001
    I also thought Dietrich-Smith did well last year, and I thought he would be the center this season. The o line is a weak point and the "experts" seem to think Saturday is the weakest link. I'd like to see him prove he can't do the job by playing him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Cheesehead625

Cheesehead625 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +149
    I think that in the near future it may not work out, but I like EDS's style. If we can get Saturday to depart some pass blocking on EDS, I think that would be an explosive mix that we need at Center. This would be ideal IMO because We could run to the right and off center. It would create the smash mouth football we need to run in our division.

11. Grave

Grave Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +55
    Walden's a hitter. So is Brad Jones. We have a number of DBs who hit now.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Grave

Grave Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +55
    Absolutely JB!

13. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    wishful thinking on my part eh? lol

14. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It'd be nice if the Pack can get a blow out lead one of these weeks. If and when this happens please rotate EDS in at C with the other starters. We really need to have a better package for short yardage situations. The hope is that unless Saturday can step it up in the run game he gets subbed out in 3rd down in short situations on the goal line to start out with. This is not ideal but what other options do they have outside of status quo? Status quo isn't and probably won't cut it as we move along.

15. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    I too like EDS over Jeff saturday. EDS did well when he played center, we should have never aquired saturday, saved that money for other needs instead of an aging, under sized veteran. Saturday is only 6'2" and 290lbs, and has short stubby arms.......that is not a good combo when playing against most NFL NT's.

Saturday has been getting EAT'N up in pass protection and can't run block well IMO. Not to mention saturday calls out a defensive protection change and then TJ Lang over turns it and calls a different change. The communication level sucks out there.