1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

European update: What's going on?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by GakkofNorway, Jun 9, 2006.

1. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

The round thing [​IMG]

must be put [​IMG]

in the round thing! [​IMG]

:wink: :lol:

Sorry Chris, but I couldn't resist. :wink:

And you are right. Soccer can be exciting, but I think it is more exciting at a tournament like the world cup or the champions leaque than in the national leaques week in, week out.

Aren't the Brits one of the fancied ones or are they only selfdeclared favourites? At least they won their first game and lead their group.

2. JeezusJuice

JeezusJuice Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    They didn't look too special to me, but now that they can make with teh sex0rs, they could be unstopable.:lol:

3. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Saudi's should have won. I kind of liked their goal celebration. good game.

Germany blitzes Poland. Fun day!!

Tomorrow thousands will rally at Nuremberg to cheer the English at the "new" Frankenstadion originally built in 1928.

Anyone else think the German's will conquer the world?

4. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    For all of you maybe, but my TV blew out... :(

And worse, I can't get it fixed because I need to save my money since I'm moving... NO MORE WORLD CUP FOR ME... :cry:

5. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    DEUTSCHLAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!

DEUTSCHLAND SIEGT AN ALLEN FRONTEN!!! DEUTSCHLAND ÃœBER ALLES!

[​IMG]

6. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been having fun watching these. Soccer fans are pretty awesome. They go absolutely nuts.

7. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    and the stadium noise is pretty wild too!

8. ChrisC

ChrisC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    AADP

That is a seriously bad time to lose the TV :wall: Tough luck! But at least it's not the "Football" Season.

Bavpb

Thanks for the clarification on Basketball! It's all becoming clear! :doh: [It seems to me that there is "no touching" in BB, let alone hitting ... But I did say I wasn't going on ...?!] ;)

Yep, England are thought of as one of the favourites - perhaps largely self-declared. Not playing like it at present though. Injuries (ie to Rooney, but also now Gary Neville) a problem, but all teams will have those. Do we have the depth?

If we can manage to qualify for the next stage, then the competition really hots up.

Chris

9. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    lol England is a self-declared favourite! :D

Really.. they have a team consisting of great players, but when that doesn't transform into a great team something is wrong!

Lampard and Gerrard doesn't fit together because their game is far too alike. Also Crouch may score a lot of goals against Jamaica, but he isn't a premiére striker and probably won't score a lot of goals against good teams in the world cup. Owen hasn't been himself lately and with Rooney coming off an injury the English offense doesn't look to dangerous.

The English defense is however very good. But I don't see England winning the World Cup because of that :p

My favourites: Spain, Germany, Argentina, Brazil and the Czech Republic.

lol would be great with Germany - Argentine in the final! :D

10. ChrisC

ChrisC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Gakk

Very astute assessment of England. Particularly interesting point about Lampard and Gerrard, I thought. Either one is wasted in a "holding" role, but we can't resist the temptation of playing both. Great individuals, but not quite a team?

Michael Owen is also coming off a broken foot - hasn't played much in the last several months - which makes the prospect of Rooney returning so quickly from the same injury rather worrying.

Early signs favor Spain and Argentina - but it is early yet. Notice how Germany, as ever, are not playing very well, but still manage to win! Can't count them out - especially on home ground.

England will have to step up to compete - but they are capable of it, I think/hope!

Chris

11. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Outch! (Gerry Lineker's greeting, huh :wink: :lol: ) I felt our first two games were the best we've played for a long time and I also think, we were more persuasive than the Brits. On the other hand there is no doubt, that we have to improve for the ko rounds, but we allways have been a tournament-team. Let's wait and see AND ENJOY. (so far the tournament is really just fun, hope it will last!!)

12. ChrisC

ChrisC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bavpb

You're absolutely right - Germany are always a tournament team. They always produce their best on the big occasions - and as Gakk identified, England rarely do!

I also agree that Germany have been more persuasive so far than England. [This has not been difficult ;)] We know that when push comes to shove, Germany generally beats England on way or another - usually on penalties! :wall: :)

I would settle for another England v Germany final :pals: but I don't yet have any confidence that England will make it that far!

Of course, I have been wrong before ... :cross:

Chris

13. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Germany always stumble a little in the preliminary rounds, but they always seem to do just enough to win. Their machine like play is what pushes them forward, they never give up, you saw it against Poland, they never gave up and they finally got the winning goal in the injury time. Many teams would have given up after missing all those chances, but Germany didn't and they were rewarded for it.

Concerning England, I think there will have to be some changes made, especially to the midfield but it would be hard to bench either Lampard or Gerrard even though that's what I think is needed.

On offense they have to hope Crouch and Rooney/Owen can make something happen. I think Rooney can make something happen, in my opinion he has been playing at a higher level than Owen this past season.

England will probably make it to the next round, and anything can happen there, but it's a long shot even hoping for a semi-final with contenders like Italy, Argentina, Spain, Mexico, Germany, Brazil, the Czech Republic and maybe some african team, I like the Ivory Coast.

14. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Btw it's going to be interesting to see if England will manage to beat Trinidad or if they are underestimating them as Sweden did. Chaka Hislop seems to be up for the challenge together with big defenders like Lawrence and quick strikers like Yorke!

15. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  16. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    First I "wannna" say, I felt, that in our first two games we were'nt stumbling around. We were playing the Klinsmann implanted style of "HURRRAA- Soccer"; "shoot one more goal than you get" That made us to overcome the two goals of CostaRica.
    The game against Poland was as difficult as I allways predicted. I allways thought of Poland as the most challenging team in our group and I know, some of you can sympathize the easement that goal in the first minute of the overtime gave to us. I was rather going nuts. I'm not the kind of guy, that puts that much in a football- or a soccer- or any kind of game (just because it's just sports , just a game and the real world is ........okay, okay whiseguy :wink: :roll: ), but when the ball made the polish goalnet baggy (after the chances we've had, f.e. the two shots against the bar), I thought "YES, thats it, Thats the step to the next round!" (and I thought it LOOOOUUUUD!!!!!!!!!)
    Let them play good and get eliminated!.. would be okay with me, but let them play good and go to Berlin (Final) would be better.

BTW: The Brits WILL make it to the next round (even if I think, that they burn out their players (Rooney, Owen, broken feet~healingtime??)).
    I hope we don't meet them soon, because they're allways difficult to play, but on the other hand they're allways fun to watch. Sounds like a good rivalery, huh? Indeed, it is!! 8)

Enjoy the games, you're guests of/at friends!!

17. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    it seems like Germany is moving away from the machine-like panzerfussball :p

did you know Norway caused Germany to start playing like that? Before 1936 Germany was really playing artistic and funfootball, but after they lost to Norway in the Olympics in 1936 the coach was sacked and they hired a coach after Hitler's taste :p

18. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Quick post I HAD to get in:

Upset forthcoming: I believe USA will upset Italy. Call it a hunch. :)

19. ChrisC

ChrisC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Sure hope so aadp! And hope you get to see the game!

On the evidence of yesterday, however, we are all struggling for second place behind Argentina! :roll:

Chris

20. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    hehe... so far this world cup has had few surprises, and I don't think USA will surprise against Italy. Italy plays typically Italian under Marcello Lippi, with a rocksolid defense with players like Buffon, Cannavaro and Nesta. Fabio Grosso might be a weakness defensively playing leftback, but he sure is a threat offensively.

Offensively they are really well off with Toni, del Piero, Gialardino, Totti, Pirlo, de Rossi and Camorensi to mention a few. They could win this thing, but I don't think they will start playing really well untill after the preliminary rounds.

Argentina looks good too, after 8 years of European playingstyle they have finally gone back to the "la nuestra" style, which is a style european teams really have a lot of problems with. The la nuestra focuses on ball possession and makes the other team work hard for the ball instead of running after the ball yourself, so far they have been successful, the only questionmark is what happens when Argentina meets Brazil, the la nuestra has not been as successful against latin-american teams...

21. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Gakk, I think it will be Brazil vs. Argentina in the finals too. But one thing, I had heard about Lionel Messi, and was a bit cautious of all the hype. But after watching yesterday... MAN THAT KID HAS TALENT. He doesn't play like an 18 year old, and everything that has been said about him is true. He has unlimitied potential, and will definitly be a treat to watch. I was blown away by Messi, I want his jersey now! :D

22. thetombradyhater

thetombradyhater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Dude Argentina killed some team yeaterday like 6-0

23. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    First of all, they killed Serbia and Montenegro. To be some what fair, S & M were without Vidic, but still that isn't an excuse for why there defence got shredded that bad.

Argentina are a very young team, and that is why I didn't have them pegged to win it all, but one thing I now realize is the fact that Argentina is so young and the fact that most of their youngsters have played together for so long makes them one dangerous team. They are in sync, playing a team game. It REALLY says something when someone like Messi is coming off the bench.

24. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Serbia is a european team, the la nuestra style works really well against european teams, if Argentina meets Brazil I don't think they will win, but everything is possible if they avoid that.

btw, maybe the US can do something against Italy after all, Italy just scored an owngoal and one of them got a red card :p

This is really good for Ghana, go Ghana!

25. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    GRRRREEEAAATTTT!

MY TV BROKE! :x

:cry:

Just read USA is down to 9 men... :-?