1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

European update: What's going on?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by GakkofNorway, Jun 9, 2006.

1. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I guess this is in the atrium. Therefore it is OK to talk about things that aren't sports related.

2. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Criket used to have no time limit but awhile back I think they limited the game to less than a week or to a specified number of days.

At least that is what a Brit told me.

I only saw a game live when I was in Singapore and I just could not view the whole event. Without familiarity of the game and a lack of understanding of the rules it is difficult to appreciate.

3. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    lol, Actually Cricket games that are to be finished in one day, known as One Day Internationals (ODI), usually last around 7 hours.

HOWEVER, TEST cricket, which is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT, lasts for 5 days straight, usually with about 8 hours a day.

4. CaliforniaCheez

Ratings:
    +0
  5. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  6. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  7. ChrisC

ChrisC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ouch! DePack. Sport is in the eye of the beholder?! ;)

aadp is right about the timings of cricket games. The point about the 5-day version is that, at the end of the 5 days, the game can still finish in a draw - ie no result! I think that's what many people find difficult to understand :)

The most famous "unlimited game" was the "Timeless Test" in 1938-9 in which England played South Africa. It lasted for 10 days, and was only deemed a draw when the England team had to leave to catch the boat home! :wall:

Sport, Jim, but not as we know it!

Chris

8. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  9. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, the link was corrupt, had to edit the link to wikipedia Allianz Arena.

There you can find the following:

The first goal against FC Bayern München in a league game at Allianz Arena was scored by Miroslav Klose of SV Werder Bremen on November 5, 2005 in the first minute of play. This was to remain the visitors' only goal that day as the game went to the FC Bayern with a final score of 3–1.

:wink: :wink: 8) :lol:

10. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    lolol

USA lost against the Czech... 3 - 0!

11. CaliforniaCheez

Ratings:
    +0
  12. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1

Why is that funny? Do you think we really give a crap? We follow real sports.

How many soccer forum do you post on daily?

13. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I give a crap, I have played for almost 20 years now (since I was 6), I ref HS and D1 College soccer as well as USSF club. I would like to find somewhere that posts the number of youth athletes involved in soccer, football, baseball, basketball etc and I am willing to wager that soccer is closing the gaps very quickly and will over take football or atleast even out with it.

It is sad, that's what it is, Gakk you are right. I was at lunch watching most of the game and it was a pathetic showing.

14. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Youth is the key word. Most of the youth play soccer at one time or another and then move on to other sports as they get older. Here on the east coast we are losing football and baseball players in junior high and high school to lacrosse moreso than soccer. There will always be diehards like yourself Ryan but overall in this country soccer is looked at as a boring sport at best.

15. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    LaCrosse, that is true I did leave that one out. That is becoming quite popular. I was asked to referee College LaCrosse, didn't really want to take the time to learn the rules of a game I have never competitively played.

Soccer will get there, not this year or next, but it will. (And the US' showing in the World Cup isn't helping matters right now either) There are too many millions of kids playing it for them not to continue on to a higher level of play. When collegiate soccer can become closer to football for matching scholarships it will become even that much more popular at upper levels.

Any fat slob on this site that wants to come out to a D1 soccer game and tell these men that they are not athletes because they don't strap on shoulder pads and helmet is.... not very smart. Nor do they have any appreciation or understanding the work that goes into being a D1 or professional athelete.

16. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    the athletecism isn't in question here thats for sure. hell, they run non-stop for 3 hours. it's just not that important to the majority of American sports fans.

soccer=fun to play, but boring to watch...imo.

17. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    a lot of people say that about baseball, and while i disagree, I totally see their point.

Soccer is boring to watch. They need to add death pits and whatnot to the field, and make it more exciting.

18. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah if you are not a parent/relative, player, coach or ref I guess I could see how it's boring to watch. There just isn't the obsession here that there is for football.

Death pits would be an interesting concept, I will have to bring that up to our regional USSF/FIFA rep next time I see him ;)

19. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    yeah, run that by them.

Also, fire pits are an option.

an exploding ball with time limit.

or maybe at midcourt(yeah thats right), have it be a hill!

Have different areas on the field be worth more points if a goal is kicked from there.

Or have the players be naked women. (I'd watch).

just a few ideas!

20. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Soccer players are amazing athletes, but I don't really understand the game, the way I do with baseball, basketball, football and hockey - that's why I don't watch. My wife is a great soccer player and she's tried to get me to watch it with her (she's watched enough Blue Jays/Knicks/Packers/Leafs games for me to at least give it a shot) but I just don't enjoy it.

21. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The round thing [​IMG]

must be put [​IMG]

into the angularly thing. [​IMG] :wink: :lol:

22. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help!

23. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You're welcome! :)

24. ChrisC

ChrisC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    bavpb

An excellent explanation! Strange how all the pundits on the TV make it sound so complicated :lol:

Soccer can be really exciting - trust me! Not the way England or the US are playing it at present, but ...

Personally I have never seen the point of basketball - but I don't go on and on about it ;)

Chris

25. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Ha nice image of the goal bav, straight out of the LOTG.