ESPN's All NFL QB Depth Chart

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre, age 37...ahead of Tom Brady...Peyton Manning? C'mon.

He was the second-best 37 year old in the NORTH DIVISION. Brad Johnson had a higher passer rating.

Odd, but no one seems to like Ben Roethlisberger. Unless I'm mistaken, he led the Pittsburgh Steelers to the Super Bowl. I think the object of the game is to win the Super Bowl, not pile up pretty statistics. Another example of where fantasy football has distorted the public's view on why they play the game.

If I was the GM of a new NFL franchise and had my pick of a QB who would lead my team to the playoffs it would be Big Ben, followed by Drew Brees and Tom Brady. All are efficient with the pass and are tough to stop. Brett would be down the list because of his love of throwing interceptions.

Here's a bit of reality: Kyle Orton was the starting QB for the Bears for much of last season. Who won the North Division? QB is hyped to the extreme. The Bears(and Steelers) proved again that the game is first a game of defense, followed by a game of running the ball. When it's all over, all the pretty passing stats don't amount to a hill of beans if your watching the team with the best defense and best running game take home the Lombardi Trophy as it does almost every year.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Trent Dilfer was a better QB than Dan Marino? So you would take Brad Johnson over Brett Favre? net you used to make sense....what happened? I know you've always been a Favre-basher but c'mon...now you've gone off the deep end.

"Big Ben" was the only reason the game was close. The Steelers won that Super Bowl despite "Big Ben" not because of him. Maybe you weren't watching.

Frist you say you'd take "Big Ben" if you were starting a franchise then you say the Steelers pretty much won with defense and a running game. So why would you take Big Ben?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When i watched ESPN yesterday they thought the Packers will stink this year. Of course, these "experts" are rarely right. Thats why they play the games.
MOST teams that win the SB have a very good QB. Not all though, as we saw with Big Ben, and with Dilfer, and so on. Sometimes a killer D can do it for you, like the 85 Bears. All the Bears really had on O was Payton.
Had Barry Sanders had THAT D, he would have won a SB too.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:

He was the second-best 37 year old in the NORTH DIVISION. Brad Johnson had a higher passer rating.

Odd, but no one seems to like Ben Roethlisberger. Unless I'm mistaken, he led the Pittsburgh Steelers to the Super Bowl. I think the object of the game is to win the Super Bowl, not pile up pretty statistics. Another example of where fantasy football has distorted the public's view on why they play the game.

If I was the GM of a new NFL franchise and had my pick of a QB who would lead my team to the playoffs it would be Big Ben, followed by Drew Brees and Tom Brady. All are efficient with the pass and are tough to stop. Brett would be down the list because of his love of throwing interceptions.

Here's a bit of reality: Kyle Orton was the starting QB for the Bears for much of last season. Who won the North Division? QB is hyped to the extreme. The Bears(and Steelers) proved again that the game is first a game of defense, followed by a game of running the ball. When it's all over, all the pretty passing stats don't amount to a hill of beans if your watching the team with the best defense and best running game take home the Lombardi Trophy as it does almost every year.

net,

This kind of thinking alway perplexes me. "Pretty pass stats", is that what you think Brett Favre is all about? One thing you forgot to mention though, is that Brett Favre has basically had to pretty much carry the Packer teams over the years, by himself. Much like Dan Marino had to do in Miami.

He didn't have the luxury of a good defense during the Sherman years, so he had to score a million points to win, and with the exception of 1 year where he had Walker and Driver together and producing, Favre hasn't had the luxury of having 2 good receivers in one year....(and I mean good receivers, not marginal)

Last year, he didn't have anything. No O-Line, no protection, no running game, no receivers, and only an adequate defense. That is why myself, and others here, were hoping that TT was going to go out and get Favre some offensive weapons finally. The weapons that Wolf had been promising when he was here.

Could you imagine Brett Favre with the weapons that Peyton Manning has, or that Drew Brees had in San Diego, or what Elway had in Denver, or Montana in San Francisco? Or the ones currently in Arizona that Leinart will have?

To me, it really seems unfair to expect Favre to have to do it all when the GM doesn't give him the tools necessary to work with, and then impatient, spoiled fans want to lay it all at Favre's feet, because he didn't heroically deliver once again--against fantastic odds.

But that's the point net. No one can do it by themselves in the NFL. But Brett Favre comes pretty damn close--like Marino did. Tom Brady has a system and plenty around him. Same goes for Peyton, and Big Ben as well. You can't say that Favre has had the same level of talent, coaching, and experience behind him that these other players have had. And Kyle Orton? His name doesn't belong in the same breath as Brett Favre's.

Nope, it's patently unfair. Get Favre the weapons for once, and he will produce. No one can do it alone in the NFL. Yet the fans, coaches, and GM in GB somehow expect Favre to.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:

net,

This kind of thinking alway perplexes me. "Pretty pass stats", is that what you think Brett Favre is all about? One thing you forgot to mention though, of course, because everybody does, is that Brett Favre has basically had to pretty much carry the Packer teams over the years, by himself, thereby amassing those "pretty pass stats", while leading pretty average Packer teams into the playoffs year in and year out. Much like Dan Marino had to do in Miami.

He didn't have the luxury of a good defense during the Sherman years, so he had to score a million points to win, and with the exception of 1 year where he had Walker and Driver together and producing, Favre hasn't had the luxury of having 2 good receivers in one year....(and I mean good receivers, not marginal)

Last year, he didn't have anything. No O-Line, no protection, no running game, no receivers, and only an adequate defense. That is why myself, and others here, were hoping that TT was going to go out and get Favre some offensive weapons finally. The weapons that Wolf had been promising when he was here.

Could you imagine Brett Favre with the weapons that Peyton Manning has, or that Drew Brees had in San Diego, or what Elway had in Denver, or Montana in San Francisco? Or the ones currently in Arizona that Leinart will have?

To me, it really seems unfair to expect Favre to have to do it all when the GM doesn't give him the tools necessary to work with, and then impatient, spoiled fans turn on their HOF QB, forgetting everything that he's done for them and the team in the past, and want to lay it all at Favre's feet--because he didn't heroically deliver one more time--against fantastic odds.

But that's the point net. No one can do it by themselves in the NFL. But Brett Favre comes pretty damn close--like Marino did. Tom Brady has a system and plenty around him. Same goes for Peyton, and Big Ben as well. You can't say that Favre has had the same level of talent, coaching, and experience behind him that these other players have had. And Kyle Orton? His name doesn't belong in the same breath as Brett Favre's.

Nope, it's patently unfair. Get Favre the weapons for once, and he will produce. No one can do it alone in the NFL. Yet the fans, coaches, and GM in GB somehow expect Favre to.

Roddy_Alberse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
net said:

net,

This kind of thinking alway perplexes me. "Pretty pass stats", is that what you think Brett Favre is all about? One thing you forgot to mention though, of course, because everybody does, is that Brett Favre has basically had to pretty much carry the Packer teams over the years, by himself, thereby amassing those "pretty pass stats", while leading pretty average Packer teams into the playoffs year in and year out. Much like Dan Marino had to do in Miami.

To me, it really seems unfair to expect Favre to have to do it all when the GM doesn't give him the tools necessary to work with, and then impatient, spoiled fans turn on their HOF QB, forgetting everything that he's done for them and the team in the past, and want to lay it all at Favre's feet--because he didn't heroically deliver one more time--against fantastic odds.

Here, here..this is an excellent post!

Let's here it for Brett Favre for a change and show him that the Packer faithful are still behind him, no matter what the lunkheads at ESPN have to say about it. What do they know about the game of football anyway!

Damn pompous, blow-dried college boys.

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
it's because they are just thinking about last year and refuse to look at what kind of implications off-season moves can have on the next season. i am again reminded of last year when everyone said the bears were going to be one of the worst teams in the league, but they just kept winning and winning, but the writers would not change their tune until about week 14. you can't put ANY stock into ANY of this, even if they had been 'generous' with how they rated the Pack. they're no better at playing the guessing game than any of us are.

So true. Nobody knows anything for sure until the "New" season is underway. :wink:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They aren't rating just one QB. They're rating depth as well and GB has Aaron Rodgers who hasn't played much and Ingle Martin a rookie. So that factors in. Also factor in Favre's season last year and factor in the emerging young QB's like Palmer. I'd put Favre in the 10-15 range right now but not top 5.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
When i watched ESPN yesterday they thought the Packers will stink this year. Of course, these "experts" are rarely right. Thats why they play the games.
MOST teams that win the SB have a very good QB. Not all though, as we saw with Big Ben, and with Dilfer, and so on. Sometimes a killer D can do it for you, like the 85 Bears. All the Bears really had on O was Payton.
Had Barry Sanders had THAT D, he would have won a SB too.

The Bears scored 467 points that season, just 11 points behind the San Diego Chargers who lead the NFL and have been called one of the greatest offenses of all time.
I am pretty sure that they were more than a one dementional team.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want dementional to be a real word in the worst way.

I really do like it; I'm not some ******* grammar police. :p

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
They aren't rating just one QB. They're rating depth as well and GB has Aaron Rodgers who hasn't played much and Ingle Martin a rookie. So that factors in. Also factor in Favre's season last year and factor in the emerging young QB's like Palmer. I'd put Favre in the 10-15 range right now but not top 5.

Well, you're wrong.

Favre is in the top THREE!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts