ESPN rports Favre will be back

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes i saw this on packers.com. They are reporting that Brett is coming back:

Coach Mike Sherman told The AP on Thursday that he had a two-hour conversation with his quarterback on Wednesday night in which Favre informed him his wife is doing well in her cancer treatment, so he's planning to play at least one more season, maybe more if his own health holds up.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
For those who can't read JSonline...

Three-time MVP quarterback Brett Favre is returning for his 14th season with the Green Bay Packers, coach Mike Sherman confirmed today.

Sherman told the Associated Press that he had a two-hour conversation with his quarterback on Wednesday night in which Favre informed him his wife is doing well in her cancer treatment, so he's planning to play at least one more season, maybe more if his own health holds up.

"It came down to his wife and she's doing well in her recovery," Sherman said. "She wants him to play. He said he's looking forward to playing hopefully without any off-the-field situations and 'enjoying the journey.'"

Favre said after the Packers' playoff loss to Minnesota in January he had some reflecting to do before committing to playing a 15th NFL season following a year of personal tumult.

His wife, Deanna, was diagnosed with breast cancer in October, a week after the death of her 24-year-old brother in an ATV accident on the quarterback's property in Mississippi.

And Favre was still dealing with the stunning news of Reggie White's death on the day after Christmas, which came about a year after the death of Favre's father, Irv, from a heart attack.

"After the season, he just needed to think about some things," Sherman said. "Any man would have to contemplate his future when his wife is fighting cancer. It's not like he had to work to make money. He didn't want to be a part-time husband and a part-time football player. It came down to his wife. If she's not healthy, it's obviously a different ball game. But now she's doing good. She wants him to play."

It never was a question of diminished ability because even at 35, Favre is still on top of his game.

He topped 4,000 yards passing last season and recorded his eighth 30-touchdown season, twice as many as any other quarterback in NFL history, and the Packers set franchise records for total offense and net passing yards in 2004.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Favre returning to Packers for '05 season http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/GB/8275885

He topped 4,000 yards passing last season and recorded his eighth 30-touchdown season, twice as many as any other quarterback in NFL history, and the Packers set franchise records for total offense and net passing yards in 2004.

Gotta love that stat for all those who say Brett is not worth being on a roster.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had to keep mum about it for about a week - my connections with running the IPB Club had me in the loop for a llittle while ahead of the mainstream press (and you blokes...sorry 'bout that)... There are times, I gots to keep silent and it's for good cause...

In all the time I've been watching Brett Favre - I never saw him lay down and quit. As you read Deanna's comment as related by Mike Sherman in that article... You get the idea she doesn't want him to start...either! I'm just glad she's regaining her health - that's his rock, his island away from the glitz & glamour... Something a man can hold on to...!

I posted one of my fav pics on our Homepage - you guys might want to click over there just to remind yourselves... heheh!

Now, Are you guys ready for some Packer Football?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
I had to keep mum about it for about a week - my connections with running the IPB Club had me in the loop for a llittle while ahead of the mainstream press (and you blokes...sorry 'bout that)...

shame on you...

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is GREAT!! Now I am going to get my tickets for a game for sure! I hope that he does stick around for a couple more years like he said he might. :joy: :joy: :joy: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :beer: :beer: :pals: :pals: :towel: :towel: :stpat:
The Vikings fans are not so happy I bet!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
IPBprez said:
I had to keep mum about it for about a week - my connections with running the IPB Club had me in the loop for a llittle while ahead of the mainstream press (and you blokes...sorry 'bout that)...

shame on you...
Sorry AG - sometimes, its just got to be that way....

Last year - before the Training Camp and into just before pre-season, I got wind of a trade that was a "possible" when it came to bringing Tim Couch to the Pack. In that trade, before Cleveland got all stingy... that is.... Word was, that the Packers would be trading our FS in exchange for the Couch-trip Timmy. We would also be getting something else, but now I can't remember what it was supposed to be....

Well, shortly before they were going to do the deed... Cleveland backs out..
No reason or rhyme... just did it... and then we all saw what was happening later on...
What do I think it was? I think it was that Cleveland found out from the Doc... about Tim's medical issue - which kept him from performng like we had seen previously in Cleveland, while their other QB was on the Injury list.... Problem was.. the Packers had no one to feret out that news.. no spies that were worth a damn and therefore we got swindled by our own stupidity.. (nice one, Mikey - DOH!)

On this little tidbit - again - I had to keep silent, until afterwards..
I get to hear all sorts of stuff.... but I don't rat out the info til it's safe and that protects the Players just as much if not more than anything else.... trust me!

Quick Edit -- Yes, I'm talking about one Darren Sharper!

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Prez, what do you see in your crystal ball for the draft? And in FA's signings? Can you give us any hints? We will keep it between us... :pray: :stpat: :wink:

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Sorry AG - sometimes, its just got to be that way....

well, you actually did allude to it a few days ago if i recall right...and i called it earlier because of my inside information.

yes, yes, my brother dated favre's roommate's ex-wife and she shops at the same store as Brett's uncle's dermatologist. I also have the inside track...

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pray for health and good fortune for the Favre family. Lord knows they've had their share of bad. If they're healthy and Brett is having fun playing and winning,perhaps a shot at the SB,I think Brett play. Let's hope that lasts a while yet. :beersign: :beer: :pals: :towel: :cheerleader:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
IPBprez said:

You gotta love this guys sense of humor. What a knee slapper. :p

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
SlickVision said:
You gotta love this guys sense of humor. What a knee slapper. :p

hahahaha...
You two could at least buy beers for the rest of us while at this.....

Just to be a little more clear here.. (AG-your connections is under the radar)
My connections have to do with people who assist with the Players and their Charity Foundations. And in being a part of that - I hear about injuries that the Press is not supposed to report, etc. A somewhat different angle than what AG has to be sure - but just the same - being involved as I am - does get some good info on the side and makes the whole process of running a huge Packer club like I do... all the more entertaining.

When Sharper went down to Houston ahead of that game with the Packers there.... I got a call and helped coordinate the Cheddarheads of Houston discussing how he could be part of a Santana Dotson Foundation (down there) Charity Fundraiser - setup a gig to bring in some charity money and Darren was a great guy to help out. There's pics and everything on their web site.... (in fact here's the links to all of the other fully functioning Clubs that we know of so far)

http://groups.msn.com/INDYPACKERBACKERS ... clubs.msnw

Check 'em out guys -- You'd be surprised at how well we keep the faith!

ldlehrer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings have an excellent QB in Culpepper. The Vikings did beat us in the playoffs last year. The Vikings are working hard to improve their defense. I love the rivalry, but presently the Vikings are making more positive off season moves than the Packers are. The best off season moves the Packers have made is getting a new defensive coordinator and a GM. The salary cap has hurt the Packers ability to keep some top quality talent.

Fortunately the Packers are able to keep Brett Favre. I must admit the Vikings would have preferred if Brett Favre retired. Most of the NFL must admit that Brett Favre is very good for the entire NFL.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts