ESPN reports possible trade for Marion Barber

Status
Not open for further replies.

packers1517

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"An NFL source said the Packers have had talks with the Dallas Cowboys about “one of” their running backs. The 1-4 Cowboys rotate Felix Jones, Tashard Choice and Marion Barber, and ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported Sunday morning that it’s Barber that the Packers and Cowboys have discussed.
It’s unclear what the Cowboys’ asking price is for Barber, who had 10 carries for 31 yards in Sunday’s loss to Minnesota and has carried 52 times for 175 yards this season. He has been very good on short-yardage plays, going 5-for-5 on third- or fourth-and-1 plays Sunday and 9-for-9 in those situations on the season."

This would be great for us I believe, just to give some power in the back field. Any true fan would agree that the defenses we are facing know our weakness. I have really studied our running game and we just can't get anything going to open up a pass game. Whether we are an 80% pass team or not, you still have to have a running game threat. Grant gave us that potential. I once hated Barber, mostly only when we had to stop him, but he could be a great viable option for us.

Unfortunately as most fans know, this is not how TT does business. I would hope he took a cue from the Lynch fall out though and really gives this some thought. I don't care if it's temporary, it's needed IMO.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Wow. Solid rumor from a fairly reliable dude.

Dare I get myself just a tiny bit excited, even though I don't know that Barber's the answer.

Always loved his running style, though.

dogpackerz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that would be a nice pick-up
but?
Mike McCarthy would never put him in there until he knows all the blitz-pickups..
look at Nance......poor guy has 2 carries in 4 weeks
and it took 7 or 8 weeks for Ryan Grant to finally get some carries when he was traded 2 us.

OP
OP
P

packers1517

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya, I'm not saying he'll be the save all, but it would be great to get a vet in the backfield. Who knows, maybe he needs some new scenery to get some of his skill back a-la Tomlinson.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Honestly, I'll take anyone that has production at this point. I was discussing with a friend of mine who pointed out that even though BJax is getting it done a bit on the ground right now, it doesn't matter because he doesn't put up points and STILL doesn't scare opposing DC's enough to play against the run. Maybe that's why BJax has been producing? Regardless, we don't go to him often enough to make it count anyways. Maybe just acquiring someone like Barber will get it into MM's head that we need to call some more running plays. I should point out that it does seem like we ran the ball more this week than the last.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe its just me, but i am not a fan of his and would be dissapointed if we gave up picks for this guy

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I can tell you one thing, with Barber on our team that last possession doesn't get to a 4th and goal. Nobody in the league is better at scoring from the goal line.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
This would be interesting.. I agree with the post above that maybe he just needs a change of scenery to get his swag back like LT... Marion the Barbarian was a beast... maybe he can bring that to GB!!

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very good news, but hopefully the 0-line plays better too...

a heck of a lot easier for an OLINE to play well when the packers aren't calling 45+ PASS PLAYS & have the ability to run the ball and be physical and put somewhat of a DENT against the defensive fronts they face each week, it would improve the OVERALL performance

OP
OP
P

packers1517

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm keepin my fingers crossed, I think even a big name coming in to GB would boost the players morale and ours. Not saying Marion Barber is a badass, but people do know of his capabilities.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I'm definitely not getting my hopes up about this but it would be awesome if the "Dallas RB" was Choice. I think he has way more upside than Barber. Barber seems to be injured a lot and he isn't as explosive as Choice is. We'd just have to work on Choice's fumbling.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we did get Barber, I'd still be hoping for BJax to get more carries than him (depends on yardage of course, but still)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Hmmmm....the trade deadline is tomorrow. I'm not going to get my hopes up. Plus, I'd rather have a couple of the Cowboys offensive linemen.
32f32c83-99a6-4df5-ad5d-f1d9cefaf0b7

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I would like it, nobody is talking about it after what Mort said Sunday morning. You would think if there was any substance to that report, there would be a lot more talk about it, i've seen nothing new on it, and i've been lookin haha, there are some talks, but nothing from anywhere legit... Damn..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
As much as I would like it, nobody is talking about it after what Mort said Sunday morning. You would think if there was any substance to that report, there would be a lot more talk about it, i've seen nothing new on it, and i've been lookin haha, there are some talks, but nothing from anywhere legit... Damn..

and how many talks about Anthony Smith?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do we need Marion Barber? Dmetri Nance is the next Arian Foster. The Falcons were dying to keep him on the team... People from Arizona say he's good... He needs time to learn the playbook...

^^^^ SARCASM :frustrated:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather have Felix Jones...
The key characteristic in anyone we sign should be durability at this point. I would rather have Barber. I am not sure if this will help us. MM would have to run the ball more for this to have any impact. Not sure he is inclined to do that no matter who our RB is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts