ESPN reports - Donatell - Possible candidate for Cleveland

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN has re-arranged their early morning show lineup since the beginning of the new year.... and with that I get to listen to something better than "MarkPatrickOnSports",... thank god!

So, they're all ramblin' on about the Packers/Vikings game only having a line around 6 or 7 for Sunday's game, when the other three games are seeing around a 10pt spread. If you're a bettin' man, then take the Vikes +6; but since the game could well go way beyond that.. then take your chances, but most figure it to barely cover the spread.

Anyway - they start yappin' about Coaching positions and the 49ers & Cleveland (to start out with) and who would be viable candidates. One of the former players (49ers) is on the show and chimes in with how they should look for a previous employee to come back and remake the Team all over again in the Niner tradition of the Eighties & Nineties... (Holmgren comes to mind, immediately)

Now, the pundits are all shouting USC, c'mon Pete Carroll, here's your chance to get back in the NFL --- But, I'm a naysayer.. Carroll had mediocre success in the NFL. But now.. on the other hand, he has total control over a bunch of 18-22 year olds who wil worship every word that falls from his face. While, in the NFL, he would have 22-32 year olds who could care less if he fell off the planet unless it suited them... Not a whole lot of power there, when you really consider the implications.... And, to tell you the truth everything about moving from College to the NFl would be about $$$$ - and if he needs the difference in millions which the NFL could give him... who knows.. but otherwise, since the Board at USC certainly would like to keep Carroll there... then maybe they can persuade him along some other line of thought. The example given was 5 or 6 mil per year, probably for at least five years - that's 30 million outright... NONE of us could really say we'd walk away from that.

So, then they start yappin' about who should be taking the Coaching position in Cleveland... after the Butch Davis thing, Cleveland went downhill pretty quickly. Theyre tryin' to hang on,... but let's be real about this... they're in free-fall mode right now unless a better Coach comes in to smack a few heads around. That's when I hear them mention Ed Donatell as one of the candidates who will.... be given an interview after the Season is over... :shock: --- I look at my girl and go....WHAT..? You're kidding!?!? Dis-belief is all I feel... But, then I start to think about it. I mean, really think about it.

Donatell "does" have some pretty good qualifications.. Especially when you think about Mora Jr now holding the reins in Atlanta, after being the Niner DC. Mora's record in SanFran wasn't all "that" much to be show-boating about, now was it....? Although, they did win a few more games than might have happened otherwise had Mora not been there. His forte is Defense, and maybe, just maybe, with an adequete set of Db's, he might be able to pull something off - but for now, the Falcons D isn't that good. We're seeing a great deal of success in Atlanta based on the accomplishments of the OC they have, who's working miracles now that Michael Vick is back, moreso than anything. But, to be fair, the Falcons D isn't all that much better than the Packers D...barely...!

I say this - If Mora Jr can pull off getting a Head Coaching position in the NFL, with his lack of credentials.. then Donatell is just as deserving.

Go for it, Ed - You go for it!

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The latest update has Pete Carroll turning down the chance to takeover the Niner's Coaching position. But the rest of that conversation, guys, is almost verbatim from the morning ESPN show, guys.... Whether you think it is accurate or not. Those were their words...

So, since you don't think it's accurate - point out where..
Don't just make innuendo... like this is a high school locker area....

You disagree with a post - say WHY!

What I'm still not hearing from the PC ESPN types is Holmgren having any type of a chance in SanFran... to me, avoiding all conversation in that area is incredibly biased.. Donatell deserves a chance to be interviewed in Cleveland, but Mike (I have a SuperBowl) Holmgren in SanFran is not an option for discussion... hmmmmm! Very suspicious... Everyone knows his staying in Seattle is not set in stone.

daredevil25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy said the Falcons are basically being carried by the offense which is way off base....WAY off base. I can't think of one game we won due to the offense, if the defense sucked the team loss.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno - the guy was pretty damn adamant about it.
He said the OC putting the running game in there and stopping Vick from being a college kid on the field.. so he'd last out "in the NFL"... was his primary goal and he did that... Sounds like solid logic to me... Vick would be gone in two years or three at the most otherwise. And, without Vick? Falcons go nowhere.

daredevil25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um....Vick has run even more this season. His completion % is the only thing that has risen (by 4% points), everything else is lower. The running game up until Vick's shoulder injury was carried by him which is a problem. Perhaps this was all due to the rust from the leg injury and maybe the preseason but passing wise, Knapp did nothing to preserve Vick's career that Dan Reeves wasn't doing. Hopefully next year that changes and the passing game is carried by Vick and he only supports the running game, not be the reason. Also our defense has carried the us this season, not the offense. I don't know what games this guy is watching but the offense carried us in one game.

cbdevil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
daredevil25 said:
The guy said the Falcons are basically being carried by the offense which is way off base....WAY off base. I can't think of one game we won due to the offense, if the defense sucked the team loss.

Just in case any members of the Green Bay staff might read this....

No you are wrong! The Atlanta defense sucks. Green Bay should try and run against our D.

Sorry couldn't say it with a straight face.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cbdevil said:
Just in case any members of the Green Bay staff might read this....

No you are wrong! The Atlanta defense sucks. Green Bay should try and run against our D.

Sorry couldn't say it with a straight face.

first we must punish minnesota for bothering us for a third time this year, then onto atlanta.

but you guys don't want the running game...trust me.

daredevil25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be honest, I'd rather GB threw than letting Green have a shot. GB is the only team in the NFC that can come close to mirroring the pulling of lineman we saw at Arrowhead. Then again if Ahman and Brett are in that Christmas feeling wont really matter :mrgreen:

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the only reason Donatell looks so good, is because Slowik looks so bad. Slowik's defense this year made Donatell's results in Green Bay look like a genius.

Donatell has an improved defense in Atlanta, but a lot of that is just switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defense that fit their personell better.

Members online

Latest posts