ESPN driving the wedge?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel as though ESPN is driving most of this.

I mean there is merit to the story, there are some facts. but much of the speculation and the non stories have been spewed from ESPN outlets.

For instance, on the freakin front page of ESPN.com there is a link to a story about the protest in front of Lambeau that involved a whopping 200 people. (even though other media outlets say it was around 100 ). 200 fans out of a fan base of MILLIONS of people is not a news story.

what it is, is a mole hill stretched into a mountain by a media agent pushing for ratings in a slow news stretch of the summer. In fact though, this goes back to the very first day of Retiregate. Mort reporting all this and in the same very story reporting that Favre denies it. Just to stir something up by breaking the big story.

ESPN seems to be making the Packers organization into the Villian to Favres Hero. Favre was a hero here for 17 years and will always be a hero here. But in this case it is just as much on him as it is on the organization. We have had several various reports of Thompson denying comeback attempts, pushing Favre away, and demoting him to backup QB. All claims now appear to be false and Favre has yet to denounce anyone in the organization at all.

If you are cheering for a Favre comeback, I understand... he is/was an immense figure and player in our epic history. But don't sell out the organization that made him what he is, simply because ESPN told you to.
Hero v Villian sells more than almost anyother sports story, and ESPN is clearly pushing this on America.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Journalists love sucking up to star athletes and criticizing organizations. They think they keep their credibility by going after GB and get to send Mortenson down to play catch with Brett by backing up Favre.

They've been doing this game with star athletes for years.

BlueMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pacnic: Yes, I do believe the media (particularly ESPN) is fueling the fire. No doubt about that.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's ESPN's MO.
They pick up on something and sensationalize it, then they ride that horse for days on every program for days, always crowing about how they were the 1st to break the story. In fact there was no real story till they sensationalized it.

When the horse dies they keep beating it hoping it will become true, if some part of it turns out to have some modicum of truth they pound their chests saying we broke it 1st.
If nothing comes of their "big" story they never say, oops we were wrong.

They love pounding those wedges.
I have e-mailed them numerous times pointing out their absurdity.

Members online

Latest posts