Ervin for MVP???

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ervin should be all but guaranteed a roster spot next season because of his impact on returns, therefore I'm absolutely fine with him being used on a couple of plays on offense accordingly to his strengths but he hasn't shown the ability to excel as a slot receiver on a full time basis by any means.
I think a year from now LaFleur can explore his possibilities in preseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm fine with expanding Ervin's role if the coaching staff is comfortable about him receiving more touches in a game but he shouldn't be considered a viable option as a slot receiver entering 2020.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They explored Desmond Howard's expanded role a number of times in it was determined he needs to remain a kick return man.

H

HardRightEdge

Ervin should be all but guaranteed a roster spot next season because of his impact on returns, therefore I'm absolutely fine with him being used on a couple of plays on offense accordingly to his strengths but he hasn't shown the ability to excel as a slot receiver on a full time basis by any means.
Bringing Irvin back suggests a couple of things.

On a game day roster Irvin would be the emergency #3 RB. It's hard to find room for a 4th. If one was thinking about a RB draftee, expectations should be lowered in terms of possible round selection since the guy is likely to be stuck on the inactive list. A starter-potential player getting his feet wet in advance of the Jones/Williams free agency starts to look like a luxury.

In surveying some of the WR draft prospects a month or two back that are more likely to be available from #30 on down, I noted a couple of them with good return numbers, though I've forgotton which. As a bonus factor in considering one over another, that's off the table. In fact, it may signal Gutekunst's board shows draft prospects without that return experience necessitating this economical Ervin signing.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bringing Irvin back suggests a couple of things.

On a game day roster Irvin would be the emergency #3 RB. It's hard to find room for a 4th. If one was thinking about a RB draftee, expectations should be lowered in terms of possible round selection since the guy is likely to be stuck on the inactive list. A starter-potential player getting his feet wet in advance of the Jones/Williams free agency starts to look like a luxury.

In surveying some of the WR draft prospects a month or two back that are more likely to be available from #30 on down, I noted a couple of them with good return numbers, though I've forgotton which. As a bonus factor in considering one over another, that's off the table. In fact, it may signal Gutekunst's board shows draft prospects without that return experience necessitating this economical Ervin signing.

Did we ever have Vitale on active roster gameday with Ervin along with the two headed horsemen (Jones and Williams)?

H

HardRightEdge

Did we ever have Vitale on active roster gameday with Ervin along with the two headed horsemen (Jones and Williams)?
Of course. But Vitale is a FB, on the roster primarily for blocking purposes, as an up back or offset in-line for the run game. You would not carry 4 RBs on the game day roster all of whom are runners/receivers/pass blockers exclusively in the offense. Given that role, along with positioning on special teams, he's the kind of player you would group with the TEs more than the RBs.

Last edited by a moderator:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course. But Vitale is a FB, on the roster primarily for blocking purposes, as an up back or offset in-line for the run game. You would not carry 4 RBs all of whom are runners/receivers/pass blockers exclusively. Given that role, along with positioning on special teams, he's the kind of player you would group with the TEs more than the RBs.

Wasn't making an argument to the contrary was just curious.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad he's back, hoping for more two-back sets with him and Jones. I think I saw that a few times last year and I was like, man, how do you defend that...

H

HardRightEdge

Glad he's back, hoping for more two-back sets with him and Jones. I think I saw that a few times last year and I was like, man, how do you defend that...
I can't say I've memorized every play from last season, but I doubt that was the case at the snap. I'm pretty sure they were on the field at the same time, maybe even an initial set with both in the backfield, but at the snap one or the other would have been in the slot or out wide.

How would you defend such a thing? First, I don't worry about Ervin getting the ball and I don't worry about him blocking anybody. You've taken a player out of the routes. Jones would have a bullseye on his chest for any random SS or off the ball LB. I can't see this even in the gadget repertoire.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't say I've memorized every play from last season, but I doubt that was the case at the snap. I'm pretty sure they were on the field at the same time, maybe even an initial set with both in the backfield, but at the snap one or the other woiuld have been in the slot or out wide.

How would you defend such a thing? First, I don't worry about Ervin getting the ball and I don't worry about him blocking anybody. You've taken a player out of the routes. Jones would have a bullseye on his chest for any random SS or off the ball LB. I can't see this even in the gadget repertoire.

Ya, you're right, I think I was mistaken... he was likely out at WR then ran laterally as shown.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Still, great to have a versatile weapon back.

D

Deleted member 6794

While that might be possible Ervin received a total of only $137,500 in guarantees. The Packers could definitely move on from him after camp if they find an adequate replacement for him as a returner.

Actually all of them only received snaps on offense vs. the Vikings in week 16 last season.

H

HardRightEdge

Just checking, I was little surprised that Ervin had only 3 scrimage touches,
While that might be possible Ervin received a total of only $137,500 in guarantees. The Packers could definitely move on from him after camp if they find an adequate replacement for him as a returner.
At this cost, I doubt that. After his first couple games, LaFluer said he was looking for offensive plays for him. They like him, especially at this price. In the off-season skunk works LaFluer might develop a couple more things for him or work in more of what he was doing into game plans.

In his 6 regular season and playoffs games:

3 carries, 35 yards
3 - 5 receiving, 18 yards

At least one of the incompletions, maybe both, was a downfield sideline route where he would have been high in the progression.

So, Lafleur featured him on a little over 1 play per game. Maybe he bumps that up a bit depending on matchups.

It's worth noting the game day roster is being bumped up from 46 to 48 with the requirement that 8 OL be included. I would guess this OL provision is to encourage off-loading a few starter special team snaps to a backup. You might carry 8 anyway if the backups don't have quite positional flexibility to cover two injuries in-game.

The long and short of it is there's an extra spot or two. The idea that you would like a WR who can do double duty in the return game to buy an extra roster spot is less important.

D

Deleted member 6794

At this cost, I doubt that. After his first couple games, LaFluer said he was looking for offensive plays for him. They like him, especially at this price. In the off-season skunk works LaFluer might develop a couple more things for him or work in more of what he was doing into game plans.

In his 6 regular season and playoffs games:

3 carries, 35 yards
3 - 5 receiving, 18 yards

At least one of the incompletions, maybe both, was a downfield sideline route where he would have been high in the progression.

So, Lafleur featured him on a little over 1 play per game. Maybe he bumps that up a bit depending on matchups.

It's worth noting the game day roster is being bumped up from 46 to 48 with the requirement that 8 OL be included. I would guess this OL provision is to encourage off-loading a few starter special team snaps to a backup. You might carry 8 anyway if the backups don't have quite positional flexibility to cover two injuries in-game.

The long and short of it is there's an extra spot or two. The idea that you would like a WR who can do double duty in the return game to buy an extra roster spot is less important.

I agree that the Packers like Ervin and there's absolutely no doubt he sparked the return game after being signed.

While I expect him to make the roster it's possible for the team to move on if they acquire an adequate replacement who offers additional value on offense without noteworthy dead money counting against the cap though.

Members online

Latest posts