EQ is at a crossroads...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Few of us hinted at this, but EQ's time in Green Bay may be coming to an end or cemented this year at least.

Personally many know I believe EQ has promise but just not in GB. Sometimes a project takes years to contribute (Nijman best recent example) - other times we hold on too long thinking a guy would someday breakthrough...that is where EQ is I believe. Either way, something is about to change for him and his time in GB it appears.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm in that same boat and I think for as long as the Packers have kept him around, they thought he had potential too. Thought he was a 6th round steal and would just take a few years to develop. His rookie season actually seemed promising, with 21 receptions for 328 yards (15.6/catch). However, injuries have been his worst nemesis, robbing him of his 2nd season and most of last season. Here we are, in his 4th season and I think he is now healthy, yet he isn't doing anything (2 targets, 1 catch, 0 yards). He has only played 29 offensive snaps, the same as Amari and 5 more than Taylor. Not that those 2 guys are blistering the stat sheet either.

At this point he has exhausted the number of times the Packers can promote him from the PS to the 53 and then back down. If he plays one more snap, he either has to stay on the roster or cut. Not sure if he would be eligible to be resigned to the PS this year if not picked up, I doubt it.

So if the Packers do give him one more chance, he better go all in or his NFL career is seriously about to run the same course as his draft classmate J'Mon Moore's did.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
@captainWIMM is more familiar with rules as these, any thought or knowledge here Capt? Could he if cut then be reclaimed if no one picks him up on waivers?
I tried to find something, but failed. But thinking it through logically, if a Team can only promote a player from the PS "X amount of times in a season" and that is exhausted, I doubt the clock resets if he is cut and picked up again by the same team. If nobody picks him back up, the Packers could probably resign him to the 53, but the bridge to send him back to the PS probably stays burned.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When he's gotten any opportunities I haven't seen the same things that made me think he has what it takes as I did when he was first here.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When he's gotten any opportunities I haven't seen the same things that made me think he has what it takes as I did when he was first here.
I really haven't watched much of his route running or blocking, but given what he did in his rookie year, you would think he was capable. I wouldn't be surprised if #12 has lost confidence in him and probably rightfully so. Tayor and Amari have pretty much been shadows on offense too. I'm not saying "don't pass the ball to Adams", but the distribution of the ball to receivers is really heavily skewed, so guys like EQ need to take advantage of that 1 target every other game.

Targets:161

Adams: 38%
Jones: 12%
Tonyan: 11%
MVS: 10%
Cobb: 9%
Dillon: 6%
Lazard: 6%
Lewis: 3%
others (7): 6%

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They replayed the game last night so I watched part of it while washing dishes. I don't remember much about the play, but remember the announcers calling out ESB for not doing anything on the play (I think he avoided making a block). Either way, it made me think that this guy just doesn't care. He knows that he's on the bubble, knows that he is down to his last chance(s), yet he doesn't have the fire in his belly. That says it all too me. If you aren't immensely talented like Randy Moss, than you'd better play like Lazard - blocking and doing everything else that you can to make yourself indispensable.

EVS stood at the crossroad, the devil sniffed a corpse, and moved on. No deal.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They replayed the game last night so I watched part of it while washing dishes. I don't remember much about the play, but remember the announcers calling out ESB for not doing anything on the play (I think he avoided making a block). Either way, it made me think that this guy just doesn't care. He knows that he's on the bubble, knows that he is down to his last chance(s), yet he doesn't have the fire in his belly. That says it all too me. If you aren't immensely talented like Randy Moss, than you'd better play like Lazard - blocking and doing everything else that you can to make yourself indispensable.

I thought he just totally missed the block. He looked completely confused. Don't think it would have been a difficult block either. Just have to time those things so as not to make contact before the reception.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FTR Adams misses or doesn't attempt to block his fair share as well....I get the established vs not but still just for record's sake.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

I thought he just totally missed the block. He looked completely confused. Don't think it would have been a difficult block either. Just have to time those things so as not to make contact before the reception.
Yes, he completely whiffed. Not good.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FTR Adams misses or doesn't attempt to block his fair share as well....I get the established vs not but still just for record's sake.
There is also the point that EQ is only there for blocking. Adams quite the opposite.

Reaction score
I’m sorry but he’s fizzled for me anyway.
I would’ve rather kept Begelton as he was good enough for that 6th spot and imo was our best immediate answer at Returner on ST. I prefer the high effort guys for PS or ST.

I realize Amari might need more time on ST and I’m not yet giving up on his ST ability, but I just don’t see him being a natural ***** we back there 5 games in. I’m seeing flashes of the Will Blackmon experiment right now. We need help in ST yesterday, if they want someone to fair catch everything then sign me. I’ve got great hands and id sign for a Punters salary. :)
My feelings are not hurt at all if EQ gets snatched. So far he’s given us the value of a preferred UDFA type signing. Very little.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would’ve rather kept Begelton as he was good enough for that 6th spot and imo was our best immediate answer at Returner on ST.
Well the good news, Begelton is still on the street. I know a few of you liked him, but he honestly looked a bit lost out there as an NFL WR. But I would rather see him back than Darrius Shepherd. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm actually surprised he wasn't cut when the 53 was announced
He was, but went unclaimed and he agreed to resign onto the Packers PS. I actually figured he might try his luck elsewhere, but maybe he didn't get any offers or he felt GB was his best shot.

If the Packers let him go, he may get another shot with another team, but I would say his odds of being in the NFL much longer are dwindling.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually surprised he wasn't cut when the 53 was announced

EQ is a tough cookie to let go. Measurables check a lot of boxes. His IQ checks a box. His ability to absorb the playbook checks. He practices great from what I can gather.....but it is like it hasn't clicked. He is kinda like Yosh - a guy the team has been VERY patient with in hopes something is there. FTR though he initially was released and after no one grabbed him we signed him to PS.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He is kinda like Yosh
I was thinking about this the other day. 2019 was a Gute Year! Between Free Agents, the draft and UDFA the Packers stocked up on some good players:

- Amos
- Smith Brothers
- Billy Turner
- Savage
- Jenkins
- Keke
- Summers
- Nijman
- Ramsey
- Ento

Reaction score
EQ is a tough cookie to let go. Measurables check a lot of boxes. His IQ checks a box. His ability to absorb the playbook checks. He practices great from what I can gather.....but it is like it hasn't clicked. He is kinda like Yosh - a guy the team has been VERY patient with in hopes something is there. FTR though he initially was released and after no one grabbed him we signed him to PS.
I do believe when our FO invests a valuable draft selection on a player. They’ll exhaust all effort giving that player an opportunity. More so than a Street signing etc.. They have obviously seen flashes of potential and it’s keeping him on the very edge of the cliff. Really more hanging on the edge imo

I have nothing against EQ, I initially liked his measurables and I think I had him in the bottom 4th round in 1 mock.
I initially thought he’d be an MVS type producer.

Since the draft, he just seems to teeter on being beat out by slightly better players or being injury prone. One of those players that has passed him (for me anyway) is Malik Taylor. I’d love to see what he can do, he reminds me of a more athletic version of Lazard.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, imagine my surprise when I find out he didn't make the 53 in the first place 5 weeks into the season.

Reaction score
St. Brown has been signed to the active roster this afternoon.
Well I’ll be a Monkey’s Uncle! La di frickin’ Da (with a Chris Farley feel) :x3:

I’m wondering if he got the ‘ol speech about living in a van down by the River??
It’s a very inspirational talk by Farley about misbehaving at Halloween. :roflmao:

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts