EPL and British Football

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Dont know not so sure Bundesbiers, from what i made out he would only be due one year for some reason. :cautious:

Really? I don't remember reading there could some sort of escape clause but I guess that is possible, I just don't remember hearing that. Was listening to XM Radio XMFC this morning, and they were talking about how much money they would owe Moyes, but I came in at the very end of it and didn't get the bulk of the conversation.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Last edited:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Schadenfreudigkeit is likely a rather unbecoming personality trait. In the case of the Rags I will allow myself to wallow in it as long as their a-hole fans counted the years that City hadn't won a trophy. I hope they run through another 35 managers before they lift another one themselves!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

For the record I don't think Moyes is a bad guy... and I would feel for him had he taken on ANY other job than he did. I am sure his severance package will keep him comfortable for some time.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Ten million pounds for nearly a seasons work who is laughing........Moyes was not good enough for such a big football club he did ok at Everton but did not exactly set the heather alight (won nothing.) Nice fellow wrong job, not that i care but they could do worse than Jurgen Klopp at BVB however if he is brave enough to take it is another matter.

Edit : Doubt Klopp would go there, having read up about him loyal coach and signed a new long term deal.

Last edited:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Klopp has already taken himself out of the mix... and I do not believe it to be cowardice. His situation at BVB is just too good. How many famous managers have taken the FC Bayern job only to get the bum's rush out of town? Hitzfeld... Rehhagel... Klinsmann. The Rags job is fraught with even more danger. Kloppo isn't stupid. Over and above this... fans in the UK don't really like Germans... (old animosities, jealousy, envy, etc.) There have been a couple of personalities that they have taken to.... (Klinsmann at Spurs... Didi Hamann at Liverpool). Klopp is that kind of guy. But if the Rags turn on him... (as they would more than certainly do)... it would have the potential to get real ugly.

All that being said... whoever replaces Moyes is automatically going to have it easier in not having to bear the burden of being Slur Alex's direct replacement. I too would besmirch my good reputation in exchange for 10 mil GBP.

Last edited:

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
What a mess Utd are in, not only in the case of manager (or lack of, as of today) but the whole structure of the club is all over the place. There seems to be no direction or long term aims. The team is so unbalanced its unreal, overflowing with 'number 10s', lacking pace, drive and attitude. Utd have always previously displayed an arrogance, which has been disliked yet respected. If i were an opposing manager I'd enjoy setting up against utd, put them under pressure to make decisions and 9 times out of 10 they'll make the wrong one.

Klopp would be stupid to go to Old Trafford, and indeed I'm sure he won't fall for the Glazers sweet talk. If i were Utd, I'd break the bank for Roberto Martinez, can't see them doing it though, Michael Laudrup may not be a bad alternative.

Bundesbiers, great pitch invasion by Cologne by the way! Both our teams remove Solbakken from his post, and look at the success we have, eh! Will follow your teams progress closely my friend.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Louis Van Gaal seems the likely choice to me... but Mourinho still can do enough to get himself fired at Chelsea. :D

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Bundesbiers, great pitch invasion by Cologne by the way! Both our teams remove Solbakken from his post, and look at the success we have, eh! Will follow your teams progress closely my friend.

It was rather fun to watch. Pouring kolschbier on everyone. That's my type of game.

Great to see Wolves back up a notch. Was just crazy to see them have 2 relegations in consecutive seasons.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I dont really think that German players are disliked at all when they play for teams in the British Isles, we have for the most part moved on apart from a moronic minority. Jorg Albertz and Stefan Klos both Germans and still idolized from their time playing in Scotland and André Schürrle at Chelsea is a really popular guy and a great young player.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
I spent over ten years working for a German field office of a technology firm based in Newbury. Essentially I did sales support, installation and training mainly for the German speaking market. A Canadian seemed a good fit for that job as both sides treated me as a neutral when they complained about each other's shortcomings. There was an awful lot that I just didn't translate.

The differences in culture do not come up when things are going well. When it goes off the rails, then it becomes a central issue. I have no doubt the Rags would welcome Kloppo with open arms. Let them lose three matches on the trot and then things change.

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I spent over ten years working for a German field office of a technology firm based in Newbury. Essentially I did sales support, installation and training mainly for the German speaking market. A Canadian seemed a good fit for that job as both sides treated me as a neutral when they complained about each other's shortcomings. There was an awful lot that I just didn't translate.

The differences in culture do not come up when things are going well. When it goes off the rails, then it becomes a central issue. I have no doubt the Rags would welcome Kloppo with open arms. Let them lose three matches on the trot and then things change.

I guess that was a difficult situation Sandolf, not very easy to handle.
But isnt this going to happen everywhere ? I dont think this is a special thing between Brits and Germans. This might happen in other constellations with other nationalities too.
And all the players who came back from UK to Germany are still only speaking good about their time in UK and with the highest respect about country and people.

Btw - I think Kloppo will leave BVB within three years and where else should he go ? If its not a German team I think only a top EPL would be a good fit for him.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
I guess that was a difficult situation Sandolf, not very easy to handle.
But isnt this going to happen everywhere ? I dont think this is a special thing between Brits and Germans. This might happen in other constellations with other nationalities too.
And all the players who came back from UK to Germany are still only speaking good about their time in UK and with the highest respect about country and people.

Actually I enjoyed my role as the go between. My ability to walk on eggs got me some assignments in the Middle East as well... (the main reason I don't share Bundesbiers opinion on Qatar). It helps to understand who you are talking to... (even if you are not inclined to agree with them).

Of course there are other constellations nessie, but certain attitudes can stick around for a LONG time. Serbs and Croats are perpetuating a 500 year old disagreement. I got into a rather heated debate recently regarding Cornelius Gurlitt. The American TV news magazine, 60 Minutes, (who tend not to be very journalistic sound), did a piece slamming your government's handling of the issue. That is legit because Focus was essentially doing the same thing. It is the contention that there is a little NSDAP sympathizer, or anti-Semite, hiding in every German is what sends me into a rage. Most of my friends live there, and are anything but.

Let's say you are good looking, dignified, intellectual, but speak with a heavy Schwaebisch accent. Where would you be most or least likely to land a management position? Canada, the USA, or the U.K.? Ever wonder why the U.K. has never joined the Schengen Agreement; maintained it's own currency and shunned European monetary integration? They are still smarting over Helmut Kohl's coup to locate the ECB in Frankfurt! (...everyone knows that London is the center of European commerce :D).

There is an island mentality there, where here we in Canada have the "cultural mosaic", and Americans the "melting pot". My employer used to hold sessions to train the "Europeans". I once asked, "what are you?" The answer was...

"We are British!"

Btw - I think Kloppo will leave BVB within three years and where else should he go ? If its not a German team I think only a top EPL would be a good fit for him.

Maybe Jogi Loew will be headed the way of Berti Vogts by then.

Last edited:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
When people say the UK they mean England or should i say the South east of England, there is a very different mindset there from the rest of the entity. The other parts are slowly getting tired of this and thats one of the reasons that there will be an Independence vote in Scotland soon. Some say thats a bad thing and very devisive and inward looking but its the opposite of that, we are more Europe friendly here maybe not in terms of currency (at the moment) but certainly in culture.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
I appreciate your comments PF71. There are regional differences in all of the countries I mentioned. Once while I was looking for a place to live in a small Bavarian village, I could see the residents looking suspiciously at me from behind their curtains. Two miles outside of Munich is already extremely provincial.

The foreign dominance of the EPL is a thorny issue. There a sports jobs here in Canada that are the domain of the Francophones. While it is okay for Felix Magath to try to save Fulham, I just can't imagine a German as the manager of Man. U., no matter how good he is. 'Ol 'arry Redknapp would have a better shot at it imo.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I enjoyed my role as the go between. My ability to walk on eggs got me some assignments in the Middle East as well... (the main reason I don't share Bundesbiers opinion on Qatar). It helps to understand who you are talking to... (even if you are not inclined to agree with them).

Of course there are other constellations nessie, but certain attitudes can stick around for a LONG time. Serbs and Croats are perpetuating a 500 year old disagreement. I got into a rather heated debate recently regarding Cornelius Gurlitt. The American TV news magazine, 60 Minutes, (who tend not to be very journalistic sound), did a piece slamming your government's handling of the issue. That is legit because Focus was essentially doing the same thing. It is the contention that there is a little NSDAP sympathizer, or anti-Semite, hiding in every German is what sends me into a rage. Most of my friends live there, and are anything but.

Let's say you are good looking, dignified, intellectual, but speak with a heavy Schwaebisch accent. Where would you be most or least likely to land a management position? Canada, the USA, or the U.K.? Ever wonder why the U.K. has never joined the Schengen Agreement; maintained it's own currency and shunned European monetary integration? They are still smarting over Helmut Kohl's coup to locate the ECB in Frankfurt! (...everyone knows that London is the center of European commerce :D).

There is an island mentality there, where here we in Canada have the "cultural mosaic", and Americans the "melting pot". My employer used to hold sessions to train the "Europeans". I once asked, "what are you?" The answer was...

"We are British!"
Maybe Jogi Loew will be headed the way of Berti Vogts by then.

Hmmmm....I think he would have excellent chances everywhere as long as its not in Germany and he doesnt speak German/Schwaebisch. :eek::D
And the anti-Semite thing is complete b***sh**, fully agree on this. I even dare to say Germany is nowadays one of the most democratic and least anti-Semite countries worldwide.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Hmmmm....I think he would have excellent chances everywhere as long as its not in Germany and he doesnt speak German/Schwaebisch. :eek::D.

:roflmao::D

And the anti-Semite thing is complete b***sh**, fully agree on this. I even dare to say Germany is nowadays one of the most democratic and least anti-Semite countries worldwide.

Well as I recall nessie, nobody was all that really hopped up about giving up their beloved DM. I used to like to point out that this currency was introduced by the Americans, therefore there was nothing to be all that sentimental about. :D :D

But Helmut was going to have to compromise before being allowed his unified Germany. He grudgingly had to recognize the Oder-Niesse border... and had to build some apartment blocks in the Soviet Union so that the withdrawing forces had some place to go to. Interestingly, the British fought this process every step of the way. In some fashion they considered themselves above it all... (and some of these remnants still exist to this day... although I accept it is decreasing).

My situation provided me many opportunities to watch the morning news at home, and the evening news in the UK... (or reversed). It was very interesting to see how those two countries viewed each other... and mostly the Brits misrepresenting the German's motives. The Kreutzfeld-Jakob scare was the most memorable. What was a consumer protection issue on the one side was a European dominance issue on the other.

Perhaps this is not a discussion for a voetbol thread. But the fact remains that England takes no greater joy than defeating Germany at anything. I remain skeptical about any real cooperation on this level.

Last edited:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Germany and England remind me of two cousins that dont really get on, most of the time its very civil but they are wary of each other. I do think its because they are so very similar in many ways. When the two play each other i always support Germany, or any other team for that matter, this is a factory default setting for alot of folks north of the border.

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
:roflmao::D

Well as I recall nessie, nobody was all that really hopped up about giving up their beloved DM. I used to like to point out that this currency was introduced by the Americans, therefore there was nothing to be all that sentimental about. :D :D

But Helmut was going to have to compromise before being allowed his unified Germany. He grudgingly had to recognize the Oder-Niesse border... and had to build some apartment blocks in the Soviet Union so that the withdrawing forces had some place to go to. Interestingly, the British fought this process every step of the way. In some fashion they considered themselves above it all... (and some of these remnants still exist to this day... although I accept it is decreasing).

My situation provided me many opportunities to watch the morning news at home, and the evening news in the UK... (or reversed). It was very interesting to see how those two countries viewed each other... and mostly the Brits misrepresenting the German's motives. The Kreutzfeld-Jakob scare was the most memorable. What was a consumer protection issue on the one side was a European dominance issue on the other.

Perhaps this is not a discussion for a voetbol thread. But the fact remains that England takes no greater joy than defeating Germany at anything. I remain skeptical about any real cooperation on this level.
Same here Sandolf, winning a match against England is nearly more important to me than beating the
Netherlands. :D
But its only a sports rivalry, nothing more and I guess thats most of us feel like though I only can speak for myself.
Maybe this scepticism can be found especially in politics and I think most ordinary people in Germany and England have no problems with each other. :cautious:;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Btw and sorry for being off topic again but I need to ask this - whats wrong with St. Georges flags ? :cautious:
Found this rather funny "guide" how to choose the right pub but dont understand the flag thing.....:confused: :oops:

Last edited:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Btw and sorry for being off topic again but I need to ask this - whats wrong with St. Georges flags ? :cautious:
Found this rather funny "guide" how to choose the right pub but dont understand the flag thing.....:confused: :oops:

Complicated nessie, their flag is nice enough but i think it needs to be reclaimed from the football Oooligan nutter types and the far right EDL skinhead idiots.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Complicated nessie, their flag is nice enough but i think it needs to be reclaimed from the football Oooligan nutter types and the right EDL skinhead idiots.
Hmmm.....do you think thats why PF71 ? :cautious:
I found it on the facebook site of "The English Shop" in Cologne and other people are not sure about this flag thing too ;)
https://www.facebook.com/TheEnglishShopCologne
Anyway - I've always found a nice pub so far when travelling UK and Im pretty optimistic I will find decent pubs in Manchester in June and Edinburgh in July as well

Last edited:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Hmmm.....do you think thats why PF71 ? :cautious:
I found it on the facebook site of "The English Shop" in Cologne and other people are not sure about this flag thing too ;)
https://www.facebook.com/TheEnglishShopCologne
Anyway - I've always found a nice pub so far when travelling UK and Im pretty optimistic I will find decent pubs in Manchester in June and Edinburgh in July as well

Well its maybe not as bad as it was but in the recent past they were almost hiding their flag away, (aswell as the union jack its more theirs anyway.) In embarassment and guilt because of the far right idiots who kind of stole it from the normal english fans. I havent a problem with it, its their flag, but id still avoid a pub full of england fans though. :D

You over during the World Cup? cool. :cool:

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts