EPL and British Football

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
So Chelsea's coach threatens to punch a kid????

Dont believe all you read on the interweb Croak, the ballboy was being a naughty little git. Mourinho told him off and if he did it again someone could have done that.

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not EPL related as such, but League One (3rd tier). My Wolves lot won yesterday and are now 6points clear at the top, won away at MK Dons and took and incredible 9,000 away fans to the game, thought it was worth a little mention.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Wow, thats impressive, half of the stadium seems to wear an orange shirt :tup:
Have you been there too? Picture looks like as if it was taken with your mobile phone!

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Man City should have had a penalty kick. Suarez should be off with a 2md yellow on that dive.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Now I can start breathing again.

---
Oh no!

---
Oh shet. :cry:

Last edited:

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yup it seems the race for the EPL is gonna be a dinger, whoever wins all their game is pretty much guaranteed the championship. who would've thought that Liverpool would come out of nowhere to be more than champions league qualification contenders, not being an LFC fan i think i would prefer them to win the league rather than chelski or citeh, more fo the fact that liverpool haven't really went and tried to buy their success. good luck for the rest of the season liverpool. even more so given today is the 25th anniversary of the hillsbrough tragedy, my thoughts go out to the families of the 96

unfortunately the bottom of the league cannot be so good, though not mathematically relegated, i fear that sunderland just wont manage to pick up enough points to save our premiership status, and a year in the championship beckons, ********

and also unfortunately, my dream of a cup double for Aberdeen was killed off at the weekend when we got beat by st johnstone in the semi-finals of the Scottish FA cup, but hey-ho if someone had told me at the start of the season that we would win our first trophy for 18 1/2 years, reach the semi of the SFA cup and be good bets for second in the league i would have taken that in a heartbeat

pop quiz for our non UK readers

what is the oldest national trophy in the world?

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
...not being an LFC fan i think i would prefer them to win the league rather than chelski or citeh, more fo the fact that liverpool haven't really went and tried to buy their success.

Daniel Sturridge didn't go over there on a free transfer as far as I know. They also did not cash in on Suarez... (so obviously money is involved there too). So if you think American money smells better than Arab or Russian money that is fine... but I would submit somewhat less than objective.

Last edited:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Liverpool of the 70's -80's bought (well) when they were successful thats what made them so good back then. Bought the league some might say, they still splashed the cash. A self perpetuating organic youth system has never won a league title, all the big clubs time in memorial buy in big players they always have.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Apparently Barcelona's system that turned out so much was twenty years in the making. In the meantime others are going to have to spend to keep up... (or adapt the FC Bayern **** and pillage method).

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently Barcelona's system that turned out so much was twenty years in the making. In the meantime others are going to have to spend to keep up... (or adapt the FC Bayern **** and pillage method).
Yepp, but thats what they are doing since the 80's, first only in German Bundesliga, nowadays internationally. Look like it works perfectly for them ;)

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniel Sturridge didn't go over there on a free transfer as far as I know. They also did not cash in on Suarez... (so obviously money is involved there too. So if you think American money smells better than Arab or Russian money that is fine... but I would submit somewhat less than objective.

not quite what i was meaning @Sandolf , all teams will spend money on players, i was just meaning in the way that the likes of chelsea and Man city have thrown money in the 100's of millions at their teams, which is something that i don't think liverpool have done to the same extent. great players don't always make teams great

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
not quite what i was meaning @Sandolf , all teams will spend money on players, i was just meaning in the way that the likes of chelsea and Man city have thrown money in the 100's of millions at their teams, which is something that i don't think liverpool have done to the same extent. great players don't always make teams great

I can understand your sentiments to a certain extent. But it is hard to compare a team that is battling relegation year in and year out, to one that is already amongst the established elite. I can remember fans lamenting that the title was always destined to be decided between the big four with nobody else having a sniff of a chance. When foreign investors come in, they do so with the intention of winning. The Fenway Group isn't holding Liverpool as a fancy keepsake any less than the Abu Dhabi Group is with City. Otherwise they wouldn't have fired the sentimental choice for manager like Dalglish in favor of Rodgers... (who I am sure is getting paid better than at Swans).

If there was a way to span the chasm between the haves and have-nots without spending heavily, I am sure more clubs would be doing it.

---
One day shortly after I first moved back to Canada, I was shooting pool in a pub with a neighbor wearing a Spurs shirt. A local girl came up to him and asked what it was. He explained it and she then asked me if I support English football as well. I said I am for Manchester City. She said that this was the only club she had ever heard of. My friend laughed hard and told her that she was thinking of Manchester United. NOBODY has ever heard of Man City he chortled in my direction!

Back when I was in the UK, City were the lovable losers. "Typical City" meant that we always found new ways to lose. Hell, when I went to away games, other fans were nice to us... (with the possible exception of those a-hole Rags fans).

When the previous owner Shiniwatra's assets were frozen, we were firmly up shet's creek. He was borrowing money from a former chairman to pay the players. What attracted the new owners was the recognition factor of the name Manchester... (just as in my pub story). That was our good fortune because we were headed down to League One like hell in a hand basket.

Recently I phoned an old friend, who is also a lifelong City fan, and asked what he thinks about the club in general. His comment was interesting. He said that it is hard to get used to the burden of expectations that are on us now.

That being said, I don't think anybody wants to go back to the old days. I do wish the resentment against us would not be so high.

Last edited:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
2-2 is a good result for the Black Cats. They actually deserved to win. That should do it now for City's title hopes.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Moyes to be fired after only one season with ManU :eek:
http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...yes-to-be-fired-as-manchester-united-manager/

Well, he never had a chance, being the successor of Sir Alex is the toughest job in football.
Im excited to see who will be next ? Hope they dont bring back Sir Alex ? :cautious:

Hmmmmmm........if this happens where will their we dont sack our managers mantra be? nowhere, they would be just as ruthless as any other club. :rolleyes: Moyes never won anything at Everton Sir Alex should have known better going for him.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts