EPL and British Football

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
To be fair sir... there are sacred cows in the U.K. as well. If you are not familiar with the story of how FC Wimbledon became the Milton Keynes (MK) Dons... and how AFC Wimbledon rose up out of those ashes... it is worth a look.

The US franchise model simply is an alien concept this side of the Atlantic, moving a team from one part of the country to another and changing their name does not wash. The entity that became MK Dons returned the FA Cup win and all their records to the newly reformed afc Wimbledon and quite rightly so. :)

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had a little during the week use flat in Frankfurt am Main for a time as well. I did a few trips to the Waldstadion from there... (to see FC St. P..... and others).

Where did I like it most? (this is going to sound patronizing... but)... Hamburg. Norddeutschland is great. I was earning a civil servant's wage at the NDR, which I more than doubled by entering into RTL territory. I should have stayed doing my humble work in Lokstedt. Hindsight is 20/20.

---
...edit... oops... This may have sounded a bit indicrete if you have anything to do with Bertlesmann.

No, I havent anything to do with Bertelsmann Sandolf :)
I work for Axel Springer AG. BILD, Sportbild, Autobild, Hamburger Abendblatt....I guess you still know these newspapers and magazines ;)

Btw - Lokstedt, especially around NDR and Hagenbecks looks different nowadays. Lots of new houses and apartments were built.

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair sir... there are sacred cows in the U.K. as well. If you are not familiar with the story of how FC Wimbledon became the Milton Keynes (MK) Dons... and how AFC Wimbledon rose up out of those ashes... it is worth a look.
Yepp, know their story but at least another example what we are afraid of.
Huge discussions are going on in Hamburg at the moment, we have to decide if we should accept strategic partners to buy shares up to 24.9 % of the professional football division. The majority of shares would still remain in hand of the club and the club would still be 100 % community owned.
I guess our annual meeting on January 19th could be the most important since decades and I tend to support a initiative called HSV plus. As your German seems to be pretty good you might be interested to learn more about it ?
http://www.hsvplus.de/
Its supported by HSV legends like Dietmar Jakobs, Thomas von Heesen or Thomas Doll and many well known local business leaders.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
I guess our annual meeting on January 19th could be the most important since decades and I tend to support a initiative called HSV plus. As your German seems to be pretty good you might be interested to learn more about it ?
http://www.hsvplus.de/

Das werde ich auch tun. Vielen Dank. Ich habe kurz darauf geschaut und habe ich schon Guenter Netzer's Gesicht gesehen. Deutsch lesen und sprechen ist fuer mich ueberhaupt kein Problem. Schreiben finde ich noch wie vor schwer.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had a little during the week use flat in Frankfurt am Main for a time as well. I did a few trips to the Waldstadion from there... (to see FC St. P..... and others).

Where did I like it most? (this is going to sound patronizing... but)... Hamburg. Norddeutschland is great. I was earning a civil servant's wage at the NDR, which I more than doubled by entering into RTL territory. I should have stayed doing my humble work in Lokstedt. Hindsight is 20/20.

---
...edit... oops... This may have sounded a bit indicrete if you have anything to do with Bertlesmann.

there's a guy i used to speak to on an SAFC forum who worked for Bertlesmann, his name was james smith if i recall correctly, seriously tha is is name i think

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Das werde ich auch tun. Vielen Dank. Ich habe kurz darauf geschaut und habe ich schon Guenter Netzer's Gesicht gesehen. Deutsch lesen und sprechen ist fuer mich ueberhaupt kein Problem. Schreiben finde ich noch wie vor schwer.
Your German is excellent Sandolf, seems to be fluent like a native speaker :tup:
But I agree, writing in a foreign language is much more difficult than reading or speaking.
Schau mal rein bei HSV Plus, es gibt sogar ein kleines Video das das Ausgliederungskonzept erklaert.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chelsea back in the title race....or at least still in the title race as Arsenal lost 6-3 @ City :eek:
Unfortunately I couldnt watch it but the results sounds like an awesome performance by City.
I wonder if ManU has a chance to beat Villa today, on the 9th place, 8 points behind Liverpool and without Sir Alex they are obviously struggling to qualify for Europe this season.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Chelsea back in the title race....or at least still in the title race as Arsenal lost 6-3 @ City :eek:
Unfortunately I couldnt watch it but the results sounds like an awesome performance by City.
I wonder if ManU has a chance to beat Villa today, on the 9th place, 8 points behind Liverpool and without Sir Alex they are obviously struggling to qualify for Europe this season.

Man City beat Bayern too. :mad:

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score

I think its anyone's title Chelsea are there not by design but by good fortune. Due to great build up play and inept finishing, thats our biggest fault along with a poor defence and no holding midfielder. But one of these days CFC will give someone a hiding if they take all the chances.

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
I think its anyone's title Chelsea are there not by design but by good fortune. Due to great build up play and inept finishing, thats our biggest fault along with a poor defence and no holding midfielder. But one of these days CFC will give someone a hiding if they take all the chances.

Your boys need to keep Luiz away from his own goal, brilliant at holding midfield role, but he's a liability at CB. If your going to stick with him at CB, you need a top class CDM infront of him alongside Ramires, if Jose brings in De Jong from AC Milan, the title could well be yours.

Although, City yesterday... my god were they good.

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, anyone just seen the Liverpool game? Amazing contrast from the Hull game last week where they were tactically undone, today they looked real good. Spurs, deary me... they literally never look like scoring, a massive lack of movement from the forward players, they look a totally different side without Erikson.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, anyone just seen the Liverpool game? Amazing contrast from the Hull game last week where they were tactically undone, today they looked real good. Spurs, deary me... they literally never look like scoring, a massive lack of movement from the forward players, they look a totally different side without Erikson.
Yepp, impressive game by Liverpool. The commentator was speculating about possible new managers for Spurs, Fabio Capello was one of the names he mentioned. Looks like AVB has lost his locker room, they have been a lifeless team today.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
But they are in the race anyway and perhaps it just needs some time until Jose has build his team that is able to win new championships ? ;)
I know it might be profanity but maybe we have to admit that the time for players like Lampard, Terry, Eto'o or Essien is over and they should bring in younger players with potential to improve ?

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
But they are in the race anyway and perhaps it just needs some time until Jose has build his team that is able to win new championships ? ;)
I know it might be profanity but maybe we have to admit that the time for players like Lampard, Terry, Eto'o or Essien is over and they should bring in younger players with potential to improve ?

Exactly nessie as yet its not ''His'' team apart from a couple of additions some no doubt soon to leave Eto'o for example Terry can go so can Essien i like him but he's past his best :/ Lampard should be kept though and moved into the backroom staff when its time (model pro.) Mourinho should look for players in their prime for now instead of youngsters, aswell as give Steve Clarke a call and the assistants job again.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Your boys need to keep Luiz away from his own goal, brilliant at holding midfield role, but he's a liability at CB. If your going to stick with him at CB, you need a top class CDM infront of him alongside Ramires, if Jose brings in De Jong from AC Milan, the title could well be yours.

Although, City yesterday... my god were they good.

He's good in midfield but horrible as a defender (absolute heart attack territory.)

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

I hate the Spurs but it just shows how bad they are without Gareth Bale and Clint Dempsey. They didn't replace either one of them and it shows.

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate the Spurs but it just shows how bad they are without Gareth Bale and Clint Dempsey. They didn't replace either one of them and it shows.

Wasn't overly impressed with Dempsey at Spurs, wasnt half the player he was with Fulham, they didnt seem to have a position for him. Seemed to me they only signed him so Liverpool couldnt.

Bale on the other hand, they simply havent come close to replacing him.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
AVB will sooner or later be given the sack at Spurs, he's a complete nightmare as a coach. If they had or have any ambition in my opinion Klinsmann is their best bet, should the dark lord Levi wield his axe. :ninja:

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Wasn't overly impressed with Dempsey at Spurs, wasnt half the player he was with Fulham, they didnt seem to have a position for him. Seemed to me they only signed him so Liverpool couldnt.

Yeah, I can agree he didn't have the same presence with Totty that he did with Fulham. He didn't play his natural position. Kind of like with Arshavin for Arsenal. Helluva player, but Wenger played him as a winger and Arshavin should only play directly behind the striker. Never worked out for Arsenal.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

Yeah, I can agree he didn't have the same presence with Totty that he did with Fulham. He didn't play his natural position. Kind of like with Arshavin for Arsenal. Helluva player, but Wenger played him as a winger and Arshavin should only play directly behind the striker. Never worked out for Arsenal.
AVB will sooner or later be given the sack at Spurs, he's a complete nightmare as a coach. If they had or have any ambition in my opinion Klinsmann is their best bet, should the dark lord Levi wield his axe. :ninja:

Klinsmann just signed a 4 year contract extension with the USA National team. He won't be going anywhere for awhile. :)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score

Klinsmann just signed a 4 year contract extension with the USA National team. He won't be going anywhere for awhile. :)

Yep this is a fact, however in football contracts can be like fragile bits of string. Easily broken when confronted with bigger amounts of hard cash.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep this is a fact, however in football contracts can be like fragile bits of string. Easily broken when confronted with bigger amounts of hard cash.
But I dont think he's moving back to Europe after his experience with Bayern, his wife Debbies is Amercian and they love living in Huntington Beach, CA. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts