EPL and British Football

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprised the guy interviewing him knew who he is, or for that matter understood anything he said. :)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24375895

Hmm.....sometimes really not easy to understand Sir Alex with his accent...very challenging ;)
But on Chelsea he says what you said too, PackerFan71, "they keep changing the coach" though they were quite successful.

Halftime in Norwich, 1-0 Chelsea and I dont have any idea how Norwich should score against them ?
Not really a good game so far but they have everything under control....

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
Still dont see a runaway winner with this Premier League this season. Liverpool, Arsenal looking good, Tottenham had done until yesterday. Chelsea look good in patches, but havent seen a good 90mins from them as of yet. Man City have also looked good in some games, then really average in others. And as for United, they just havent got going at all yet.

My suprise outfit so far has to be Hull, they've made some clever signings in midfield, especially Huddlestone and Livermore, dont see them being in the bottom 3 at the end of the season.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
As of when they signed Mesut Özil Arsenal were my outside choice for the title, he has that bit of cutting edge class they have lacked for some time.

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
Interesting discussion over there in England ;)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24455721

In a way he has a point, but I dont think he's said it the correct way.

I do think something needs to be done about this national team selections though, its getting ridiculous. IMO it should be restricted to country of birth or your parents birth, not grandparents. They need to draw a line somewhere.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
He does have a point but he put it in such a hamfisted manner its easy to ridicule so i wont. Im of the old school opinion that you play for the country of your birth and the only exceptions being for example born in England of Scottish parents and thats it no more possibilities.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Basically I agree with you guys on this but where should we draw the line ?
For example a boy who came to Germany with his foreign parents when he was 2 years old would never be allowed to play for the National Team though he grows up in this country and later gets his German citizenship ? :cautious:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Basically I agree with you guys on this but where should we draw the line ?
For example a boy who came to Germany with his foreign parents when he was 2 years old would never be allowed to play for the National Team though he grows up in this country and later gets his German citizenship ? :cautious:

I think its all too murky, and countries take advantage of this far too easily. Sport and that type of thing should be separate, by all means allow citizenship but disallow him from playing for the ''new'' country. Playing for our national sides should be an honour for those born there or of direct parentage. Wee Berti even tried to get Wayne Rooney to play for Scotland as a teenager because of his Scottish Granny. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its all too murky, and countries take advantage of this far too easily. Sport and that type of thing should be separate, by all means allow citizenship but disallow him from playing for the ''new'' country. Playing for our nationals sides should be an honour for those born there or of direct parentage. Wee Berti even tried to get Wayne Rooney to play for Scotland as a teenager because of his Scottish Granny. :rolleyes:
Thats true PackerFan71, its ridiculous when they search until middle ages for relatives with national roots. Can you imagine Wayne Rooney wearing a Scottish shirt? No, thank you. :poop:;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Thats true PackerFan71, its ridiculous when they search until middle ages for relatives with national roots. Can you imagine Wayne Rooney wearing a Scottish shirt? No, thank you. :poop:;)

Thats the funny thing though nessie, he's way more Irish than he would care to admit. :)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Can you guys explain to me the difference between Ireland and Scotland's relationship to London?

Southern Ireland is politically independent of the (Westminster) London Parliament.

Scotland at present is part of the UK and is in the Westminster sphere of control, next year Scotland has an Independence referendum vote (for the Scots only) to decide if they want to stay or leave the UK.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Southern Ireland is politically independent of the (Westminster) London Parliament.

Scotland at present is part of the UK and is in the Westminster sphere of control, next year Scotland has an Independence referendum vote (for the Scots only) to decide if they want to stay or leave the UK.

And if so only England, Wales and Northern Ireland would be left as members of the UK.
Quite interesting and maybe important to know before you vote next year (;)), PackerFan71, an independent Scotland would not automatically be a member of the EU. :eek:
They had to apply and if they were approved there will be a new currency for Scotland, the Euro, because beside GB and Denmark no other exceptions will be accepted.
Will be exciting to see what happens.

Btw - we play Ireland tonight and I expect to be qualified for Brazil after the final whistle :)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
And if so only England, Wales and Northern Ireland would be left as members of the UK.
Quite interesting and maybe important to know before you vote next year (;)), PackerFan71, an independent Scotland would not automatically be a member of the EU. :eek:
They had to apply and if they were approved there will be a new currency for Scotland, the Euro, because beside GB and Denmark no other exceptions will be accepted.
Will be exciting to see what happens.

Btw - we play Ireland tonight and I expect to be qualified for Brazil after the final whistle :)

I have long grown tired of all the scare stories Nessie regarding the EU, Oil Revenues, cost of living etc blah blah blah. The EU would want an independent Scotland in there anyway of course they would. Currency would remain as the Pound for a while for stability, then later we would decide to have our own thats quite normal. I have long since made up my mind what way ill vote, but its the majority that will decide thats Democracy. ;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have long grown tired of all the scare stories Nessie regarding the EU, Oil Revenues, cost of living etc blah blah blah. The EU would want an independent Scotland in there anyway of course they would. Currency would remain as the Pound for a while for stability, then later we would decide to have our own thats quite normal. I have long since made up my mind what way ill vote, but its the majority that will decide thats Democracy. ;)

Understandable, PackerFan71, but Im sure that all these topics will be discussed again and again when Election day comes closer.:confused: ;)
But quite interesting for me to read about on BBC website or other British Media, obviously not easy to become independent nowadays. :eek:
And I'd know what to vote for too but unfortunately....or maybe fortunately (?)....Im not Scottish. ;)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

So for the English international team, someone from Scotland or Northern Ireland would be acceptable?

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Understandable, PackerFan71, but Im sure that all these topics will be discussed again and again when Election day comes closer.:confused: ;)
But quite interesting for me to read about on BBC website or other British Media, obviously not easy to become independent nowadays. :eek:
And I'd know what to vote for too but unfortunately....or maybe fortunately (?)....Im not Scottish.
;)

I don't watch the BBC in relation to the issue they are so biased, the clue is in the name British Broadcasting Corporation. In fact i've been watching Australian news shows just to avoid it. I got myself informed and made my own mind up thats what everyone should do whatever their view point. :tup:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
So for the English international team, someone from Scotland or Northern Ireland would be acceptable?

Technically yes, a few English born players have played for Scotland in lot of cases (because they were not good enough to play for England) :rolleyes: but their is stricter rules on that now.

If a Scottish player has not played for his country at full level hes fair game for another country to pick him providing he qualifies for them. Once A Player has a full international cap hes tied to the country he played for life and cant change.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts