EPL and British Football

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
Yeah, I hope this works out. It simply needs some time to build a new team.
I think the first season after beeing relegated is the most dangerous one, more than a few teams struggle and are relegated a second time in a row.
I remember Solbakken, isnt it curious sometimes ? Solbakken was highly recommended by many football experts before hired by Cologne. But he failed in Cologne and now, as you wrote, in England as well.

Felt a little bit of sympathy for Stale tbh, you could see he wanted us to start playing a passing game like Barca, Arsenal, Swansea etc; but the basics weren't mastered and we were getting beaten by teams we really should be winning. He's deffinately better suited to European football rather than the English game though, expect to see him back in Scandanavia in the next 12months.

Back on to the EPL, watched the Chelsea-Arsenal game yesterday, bit of a dive for the pen, Chelsea really should have seen out that game more comfortably than what it looked. Credit to Arsenal for the second half performance though. Would have been a different game if Giroud had slotted home that chance, 30secs later Mata makes it 1-0 Chelsea.

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome! feel free to chip in we don't bite here that's for Giants and Bears fans only.;) I quite like Wolves and the Legend that is Steve ''Bully'' Bull. Hope your new manager gets you back up to the Premiership.

Cheers,
Yeah everyone loves abit of Bully, the last English man to score the winner for England at Hampden too ;).

Funny, not many fans of other teams tend to like us, we're one of those teams everyone loves to hate, like Leeds, Millwall etc. Probably due to the Hooligan activity in the 70's/80's.

Like i mentioned in an earlier post, i'm still getting to grips with the NFL game, is there anywhere i can pick up on basics? Such as the drafts and stuff like that, i just havent grasped those things yet.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Cheers,
Yeah everyone loves abit of Bully, the last English man to score the winner for England at Hampden too ;).

Funny, not many fans of other teams tend to like us, we're one of those teams everyone loves to hate, like Leeds, Millwall etc. Probably due to the Hooligan activity in the 70's/80's.

Like i mentioned in an earlier post, i'm still getting to grips with the NFL game, is there anywhere i can pick up on basics? Such as the drafts and stuff like that, i just havent grasped those things yet.

Ha yeah ive never held that against him,;) was keeping an eye on Wolves progress in the lower divisions at the time. Old school center half not enough of them about now.
http://voices.yahoo.com/beginners-guide-nfl-draft-ins-outs-works-5745612.html
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cant see a return for Jose, although id love to see him back in England, if only for his press conferences. I just dont think Roman is the kind of bloke who will fire someone, then re-hire them 4/5 yrs down the line. Not quite sure who'll end up with the Chelsea gig, but it wont be Rafa im afraid, which is a shame because i rate him highly.
Hmmm, I think Mourinho is a perfect fit for Chelsea.
I guess Abramovich now realizes this after having fired 8 managers since Mourinho left in 2007.
And I dont see a longterm future for Benitez anyway, wrong man at the wrong club.

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chelsea need a long term answer, not another Mourinho stint, who has only lasted 2yrs at most jobs he's had (though he's had success in those 2yrs), Chelsea need to rebuild, they need a Brendan Rodgers type, someone with a long term vision, and he needs to be given the time to achieve it. A cheeky approach for Laurdrup may not be out the question.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Chelsea need a long term answer, not another Mourinho stint, who has only lasted 2yrs at most jobs he's had (though he's had success in those 2yrs), Chelsea need to rebuild, they need a Brendan Rodgers type, someone with a long term vision, and he needs to be given the time to achieve it. A cheeky approach for Laurdrup may not be out the question.

Indeed Chelsea need a long term answer, if for instance Mourinho was Man U coach he would never have been let go in such a manner. Look at Alex Ferguson it took three years before he won anything after he arrived from Aberdeen, now he's the best manager in the teams history. Alas Abramovich's style of management is the problem not Jose Mourinho's, he will give no new coach any time at all, his constant hire fire approach is counter productive and short sighted. That is a shame because he has brought success, but at a cost.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Indeed Chelsea need a long term answer, if for instance Mourinho was Man U coach he would never have been let go in such a manner. Look at Alex Ferguson it took three years before he won anything after he arrived from Aberdeen, now he's the best manager in the teams history. Alas Abramovich's style of management is the problem not Jose Mourinho's, he will give no new coach any time at all, his constant hire fire approach is counter productive and short sighted. That is a shame because he has brought success, but at a cost.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Jupp Heynckes went to Chelsea?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha! Croak i would not rule out anything.;)

Or maybe he could return to Real and Mourinho could be hired by Chelsea immediately ;)
I would like to see what Juergen Klopp could achieve with a team like Chelsea or Real. If he wants to establish himself as one of the most promising young managers in Europe he should leave Germany to gain experiences in a foreign European Top-League like the EPL.

Wolf Packer, PackerFan71 - how is Michael Laudrup doing at Swansea ? Is he really that good ?
He was an outstanding player but he didnt stay very long with any team he worked for as a manager, except Brondby. :confused:
I have to admit I didnt know Brendan Rodgers before, are there any other young, promising British managers who could be interesting ? Any other "shooting-star" like Klopp in Germany ?

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Or maybe he could return to Real and Mourinho could be hired by Chelsea immediately ;)
I would like to see what Juergen Klopp could achieve with a team like Chelsea or Real. If he wants to establish himself as one of the most promising young managers in Europe he should leave Germany to gain experiences in a foreign European Top-League like the EPL.

Wolf Packer, PackerFan71 - how is Michael Laudrup doing at Swansea ? Is he really that good ?
He was an outstanding player but he didnt stay very long with any team he worked for as a manager, except Brondby. :confused:
I have to admit I didnt know Brendan Rodgers before, are there any other young, promising British managers who could be interesting ? Any other "shooting-star" like Klopp in Germany ?
Ill be honest i wasn't aware of Juergen Klopp either, but having read up on him great record. Id be staying where i was if i was him though, good club good league it might look it but it ain't always greener elsewhere.

Laudrup was a prince of a player, i think hes the pick of the younger coaches right now. So far hes doing really well with a very small club, and if CFC don't get our finger out he's going to knock us out of the League Cup. He's not afraid to attack teams, but keeps it tight at the back also. Rodgers was at Chelsea learning the ropes, he was at Reading also for a bit but it didn't go so well there. Doing good at Swansea got him the Liverpool job so no doubt something similar for Laudrup soon.

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As PF71 touched on, Laurdrup was an immense player. Wasnt sure how he would so at Swansea in all honesty, and i think a few people had them down as an outside bed for relegation. But how wrong were they, Swansea in my eyes are by far the most attractive footballing side in English football right now (even though theyre Welsh, but we'll leave those politics for another day). They're incredibly quick on the counter attack, if you get 5mins spare check out their 3rd goal against Stoke City the weekend, unbelievable football, almost Barca-esque. Laudrups taken Swansea and made them even better than they were under Rodgers, you could bully them into submission last season, but thats not possible this year.
Check out their cup semi final second leg tonight, funnily enough against Chelsea (19.45 GMT). The Swans lead 2-0 from the first leg. The winner, they play Bradford City, of the FOURTH tier of English football in the final. Another unreal story in itself.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
As PF71 touched on, Laurdrup was an immense player. Wasnt sure how he would so at Swansea in all honesty, and i think a few people had them down as an outside bed for relegation. But how wrong were they, Swansea in my eyes are by far the most attractive footballing side in English football right now (even though theyre Welsh, but we'll leave those politics for another day). They're incredibly quick on the counter attack, if you get 5mins spare check out their 3rd goal against Stoke City the weekend, unbelievable football, almost Barca-esque. Laudrups taken Swansea and made them even better than they were under Rodgers, you could bully them into submission last season, but thats not possible this year.
Check out their cup semi final second leg tonight, funnily enough against Chelsea (19.45 GMT). The Swans lead 2-0 from the first leg. The winner, they play Bradford City, of the FOURTH tier of English football in the final. Another unreal story in itself.

I thought Laudrup's appointment as Swansea was ambitious but risky akin to Johan Cruyff taking over at Ross County wow that would be fun Q thousands of County fans everywhere. Back in the real world i hope CFC manage to beat Swansea but even if we don't it would not be the end of the world*, in fact it would be quite nice to see a couple of ''smaller'' teams in a final for once its only the League Cup its of far more meaning to Swansea and Bradford.
Benitez apathy clause*

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Laudrup's appointment as Swansea was ambitious but risky akin to Johan Cruyff taking over at Ross County wow that would be fun Q thousands of County fans everywhere. Back in the real world i hope CFC manage to beat Swansea but even if we don't it would not be the end of the world*, in fact it would be quite nice to see a couple of ''smaller'' teams in a final for once its only the League Cup its of far more meaning to Swansea and Bradford.
Benitez apathy clause*

To have any chance of retaining the Chelsea job, Rafa needs to bring home a trophy and a 3rd place finish. Be interesting to see how he shapes up tonight, plus he has to start Ba rather than Torres if he plays a lone striker, might be tempted to play both though.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
To have any chance of retaining the Chelsea job, Rafa needs to bring home a trophy and a 3rd place finish. Be interesting to see how he shapes up tonight, plus he has to start Ba rather than Torres if he plays a lone striker, might be tempted to play both though.

That's pretty much it really Champions League qualification is all he's there for its a short term appointment* (in joke). A Cup win would be a bonus. Id be very attack minded in the final third two up front nothing to lose.
They all are*

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hah, finally found a video, great goal ! The free-kick was a nice one as well. :tup:
Sounds as if we soon will see Laudrup managing one of the bigger Clubs in England or somewhere else in Europe...

I just read a nice story about "The Bantams". You could find articles about them and especially about Matt Duke in some German newspapers and on many websites today. Looks like a historical run, the last Fourth tier team that made the final was Rochdale in 1962. :eek:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Hah, finally found a video, great goal ! The free-kick was a nice one as well. :tup:
Sounds as if we soon will see Laudrup managing one of the bigger Clubs in England or somewhere else in Europe...

I just read a nice story about "The Bantams". You could find articles about them and especially about Matt Duke in some German newspapers and on many websites today. Looks like a historical run, the last Fourth tier team that made the final was Rochdale in 1962. :eek:

Yep The Swans are a stepping stone club for a good coach, if he continues to do well and i wouldn't doubt it. Laudrup will be at a bigger club in no time.
Every now and again you get a small club that punches above it weight in a cup competition, Bradford are such an unfashionable team but thats part of the story. They beat Arsenal and Aston Villa to reach the final and deserve to be there. If Chelsea don't win tonight ill be cheering on The Bantams in the final.:tup:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep The Swans are a stepping stone club for a good coach, if he continues to do well and i wouldn't doubt it. Laudrup will be at a bigger club in no time.
Every now and again you get a small club that punches above it weight in a cup competition, Bradford are such an unfashionable team but thats part of the story. They beat Arsenal and Aston Villa to reach the final and deserve to be there. If Chelsea don't win tonight ill be cheering on The Bantams in the final.:tup:

Hmmm.... 0:0 at halftime PackerFan71.
Chelsea needs to score soon, Torres still where he belongs, on the bench. ;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score

Typical storm in a teacup, Hazard was quite rightly sent off end of story. His frustration was that for some reason the kid sat on top of the ball and he could not get it he should not have tried to kick at the ball but he did. The kids is fine nobody died. Q massive media hysteria Hazard 'lashed-out', 'hacked-at' and 'assaulted' the ball boy. :sleep:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typical storm in a teacup, Hazard was quite rightly sent off end of story. His frustration was that for some reason the kid sat on top of the ball and he could not get it he should not have tried to kick at the ball but he did. The kids is fine nobody died. Q massive media hysteria Hazard 'lashed-out', 'hacked-at' and 'assaulted' the ball boy. :sleep:
Yepp, I've seen the "kick" on video now , stupid but no big deal, the ballboy is still alive ;) !
Reminded me a little of this legendary one....you may guess.....:D

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Yepp, I've seen the "kick" on video now , stupid but no big deal, the ballboy is still alive ;) !
Reminded me a little of this legendary one....you may guess.....:D

Id never advocate violence Cantona was in the wrong, but in this case the alleged fan/thug got what he deserved no sympathy.
Wow a World first, not often i agree with Robbie Savage but hes spot on here SHOCK HORROR!:eek:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21186435

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts