EPL and British Football

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm watching the Man City v Newcastle game right now. I'm still fascinated by British dialects. The announcer on Fox Sports right now sounds like Lister from the TV Show "Red Dwarf". What part of England is he from?

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, i wish that he will be allowed to stay for his loyal service to the blues, its not going to happen though a real shame. His mother died in 2008 he got huge support from the club and most importantly the fans. There is not many like him in the game anymore, he once accidentally knocked over a kid on a bike with his car. Didn't care about the dent on the car, he made sure the kid was ok. And then gave him all the money for a brand new bike. Total class human being. His dad played leftback (551 apps) for West Ham Frank (senior) do you remember him at all?

To be honest, no. :eek:
And I even did not know that his dad is Frank Lampard Sr. ;)
551 apps. are impossible today, looks like the Lampards do strongly identify with their clubs.:tup:
Do you think there is chance that Frank jr. could play for West Ham again to finish his career where it started ?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm watching the Man City v Newcastle game right now. I'm still fascinated by British dialects. The announcer on Fox Sports right now sounds like Lister from the TV Show "Red Dwarf". What part of England is he from?

Forget I asked; I found out it's Scouse/Liverpudlian. Of course my wife thinks British and Australian accents are ****. :rolleyes:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm just learning about the FA Cup's relationship to the EPL. That's a pretty cool concept. Except I see that some team called Watford has to play Manchester City in January. Won't that be a blow-out?

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I'm just learning about the FA Cup's relationship to the EPL. That's a pretty cool concept. Except I see that some team called Watford has to play Manchester City in January. Won't that be a blow-out?

You would think it would be a blow-out on paper, but that's the thing about the FA cup the underdog often can up their game and beat the giant in a one off match. There has been so much of that over the years, that's the magic of the FA cup. A scouser accent? im suprised you can understand it, Lister is real scally scouse. So many various accents in the UK, interesting to see you can pick them out not everyone can.

To be honest, no. :eek:
And I even did not know that his dad is Frank Lampard Sr. ;)
551 apps. are impossible today, looks like the Lampards do strongly identify with their clubs.:tup:
Do you think there is chance that Frank jr. could play for West Ham again to finish his career where it started ?

They both started at West Ham Lamps father stayed there for nearly 20 years 60-80s. Some West Ham fans still resent him for joining Chelsea, but who would not want to better their career and it not as though its like a huge Rangers v Celtic rivalry lets be honest. His dad is at Watford doing coaching now. There is a small chance he could go back to them but i hope not, he should goto the MLS when its time to move on.

The definition of a Diehard, not so good English but what a dude!:tup:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
You would think it would be a blow-out on paper, but that's the thing about the FA cup the underdog often can up their game and beat the giant in a one off match. There has been so much of that over the years, that's the magic of the FA cup. A scouser accent? im suprised you can understand it, Lister is real scally scouse. So many various accents in the UK, interesting to see you can pick them out not everyone can.

I can pick some of them out. They sound really different to American ears. But I just don't know where each one came from. My wife is actually better at that.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The definition of a Diehard, not so good English but what a dude!:tup:

Funny story, great ! :tup:
When Hamburg, Dortmund, Bayern or Schalke are playing away, regardless if its during the week or on weekends, there are always thousands of fans travelling with the team.
So it seems to be different in Italy ?!

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Funny story, great ! :tup:
When Hamburg, Dortmund, Bayern or Schalke are playing away, regardless if its during the week or on weekends, there are always thousands of fans travelling with the team.
So it seems to be different in Italy ?!

Its pityful that only one fan was there to cheer on their team, although i think he deserves some kind of award fom FIFA for his efforts and enthusiasm. Pathetic effort from his fellow fans though the cup apparently means nothing in Italy afraid of the cold perhaps? lame excuse if you ask me.:tdown:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey PackerFan71, did you watch the game against Corinthians?
I did not but read that Paolo Guerrero scored, a former Hamburg player.

Last weekend AmyMcDonald was one of the show acts at the annual charity event of my company.
This year I wasnt there so I couldnt see her live and missed to watch the show on TV :(

dpa/Berliner Morgenpost
http://www.morgenpost.de/berlin-akt...inder-sammelt-mehr-als-14-Millionen-Euro.html

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Hey PackerFan71, did you watch the game against Corinthians?
I did not but read that Paolo Guerrero scored, a former Hamburg player.

Last weekend AmyMcDonald was one of the show acts at the annual charity event of my company.
This year I wasnt there so I couldnt see her live and missed to watch the show on TV :(

dpa/Berliner Morgenpost
http://www.morgenpost.de/berlin-akt...inder-sammelt-mehr-als-14-Millionen-Euro.html

Yeah i saw the second half Chelsea missed at least three very easy chances, should have won easily but didn't take them they had one chance and scored with a soft goal but that's football. EX HSV was he mmm interesting. Practically a home game for them, hardly any real Chelsea fans there says it all. A bit of a silly tourney really, and id have said that even if we won. Corinthians are not that good, but that says more about us than them to be honest.

Nice picture,:tup: yeah i saw pics of her along with Mr Low and Mr Becker at that event. Cool, good cause.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, Chelsea 8-0 (!)
Just watched the game highlights on Sky.
Nice goals by Lampard and E. Hazard.
Now waiting for Boxing Day football.... ;)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Wow, Chelsea 8-0 (!)
Just watched the game highlights on Sky.
Nice goals by Lampard and E. Hazard.
Now waiting for Boxing Day football.... ;)

Yeah. I watched it for a while. Wasn't much of a contest, unlike Man City vs Reading.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Making up for a couple of lazy previous performances, It was almost like taking candy from a child. Not that i've ever done that! 6-0 would have been enough.;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2253831/Sunderland-AFC-tapes-seats-fans-refuse-sit-down.html

Maybe they should think about bringing back standing areas ?
I does not have to be unsafe, maybe a trial in one or two stadiums would help to collect experiences ?

I think modern technology for standing is very safe, having seen a few examples of it. Its a very sensitive subject in the UK because of the tragic events of the past. But if the fans decide that they want to stand in limited parts of their clubs stadiums i see no problem with it now because of the advances. I have come full circle in my opinion of the issue.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think modern technology for standing is very safe, having seen a few examples of it. Its a very sensitive subject in the UK because of the tragic events of the past. But if the fans decide that they want to stand in limited parts of their clubs stadiums i see no problem with it now because of the advances. I have come full circle in my opinion of the issue.

Its now more than 20 years after Hillsborough and things have improved since 1989, also in England/UK I guess.
Better and modern stadiums, different security concepts and maybe even a different audience nowadays. More families and women are going to watch football live at the stadium nowadays.
They should give it a shot and if it works well it could also solve the problem with affordable tickets, at least a little.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Its now more than 20 years after Hillsborough and things have improved since 1989, also in England/UK I guess.
Better and modern stadiums, different security concepts and maybe even a different audience nowadays. More families and women are going to watch football live at the stadium nowadays.
They should give it a shot and if it works well it could also solve the problem with affordable tickets, at least a little.

Yeah i also think it will help with the atmosphere at games, its very sterile at alot of grounds since all seating was made compulsory.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
One minute into the game and Everton scores. Seriously??

Ha don't worry about it Croak our defence is pants this year, suprised it took Everton so long. :roflmao:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Listening to the accents of the commentators again. Leslie is fairley neutral and easy to understand. Burley has a strong fun accent, Scots maybe?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I've been thinking. I have a hard time picking any one team in the EPL to be my favorite. Bundesliga is easy because my extended family and ancestors are from Bayern. Man U is really pushed around here but I don't like their ownership. Liverpool has a very popular show but, meh, they don't do much for me.

Members online

Latest posts