EPL and British Football

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Cool did you try the Guinness or other such refreshments? that used to be my drink of choice for years.

Yeah not too shabby performance, a different style of play now the Drog has moved on. we could still do with an in their face big striker though. Hazard looks like he was worth all the hype. Skillful and tough little player.

Still is my choice of drink.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cool did you try the Guinness or other such refreshments? that used to be my drink of choice for years.

Yeah not too shabby performance, a different style of play now the Drog has moved on. we could still do with an in their face big striker though. Hazard looks like he was worth all the hype. Skillful and tough little player.

Ooooh yes - I had some pints of Staropramen, hmmm, yummie. :tup:
Did you know that Czechs are the number 1 beers drinkers worldwide ? :eek:
However - if you should travel to Prague one day don't miss to visit the Strahov monastry brewery !
Outstanding performance by Hazard, great find for "only" 40 m Euros ! :eek::D

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
However - if you should travel to Prague one day don't miss to visit the Strahov monastry brewery !

No kidding? I would have thought it was the Germans. I had beer there that tasted better than anything I ccould find in the states. Even their imported beer here doesn't taste the same as it did there. I had one beer at a little cafe in Lutherstadt Wittenberg that was buttery and delicious. It was by far the best I ever had.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
No kidding? I would have thought it was the Germans. I had beer there that tasted better than anything I ccould find in the states. Even their imported beer here doesn't taste the same as it did there. I had one beer at a little cafe in Lutherstadt Wittenberg that was buttery and delicious. It was by far the best I ever had.

No kidding Croak !
Number one is the Czech Republic (150 litres per person/year), followed by Ireland and Germany.
The beer I had at the Strahov Monastry Prague yesterday was awesome.
Budweiser (the real one from Budwar), Staropramen, Pilsener Urquell, Gambrinus....they are all very good though I wouldn't say they are better than our german beers.
But like Germany the Czechs do have a long tradition with brewing excellent beer.
And don't forget british and irish beers ! ;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score

What do you get if you pay peanuts? ''Monkeys'' - Ken Bates CFCs nutter ex chairman.
I couldn't stand the man myself but he had a point, sometimes a big money buy comes good Hazard looks the real deal.
Im also partial to a pint of Stella the Belgian beer, i read up on their history seems that its Scottish beer makers helped set them up back in the day what a coincidence!

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you get if you pay peanuts? ''Monkeys'' - Ken Bates CFCs nutter ex chairman.
I couldn't stand the man myself but he had a point, sometimes a big money buy comes good Hazard looks the real deal.
Im also partial to a pint of Stella the Belgian beer, i read up on their history seems that its Scottish beer makers helped set them up back in the day what a coincidence!

Well, that's an argument ;)
I like Stella as well, had some pints on my trip to London in June...ah..and London Pride.....tasty...:tup:

Chelsea is playing Reading on Wednesday, what's your prediction ?
I guess nothing more that three points for Chelsea are expected....;)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Switched over from Bayern Munich to EPL on the TV. Everton over Man U. Who'd a thunk it? Looks like RVP has some work to do.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Well, that's an argument ;)
I like Stella as well, had some pints on my trip to London in June...ah..and London Pride.....tasty...:tup:

Chelsea is playing Reading on Wednesday, what's your prediction ?
I guess nothing more that three points for Chelsea are expected....;)

Ha yeah he didnt really do understatement cuddly Ken.

Yeah i quite like it smooth and light in comparison to some others.

Hopefully a win, but im still not sure about Torres up front. And Reading should not to be under estimated.

Delighted at the Man Ure score.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha yeah he didnt really do understatement cuddly Ken.

Yeah i quite like it smooth and light in comparison to some others.

Hopefully a win, but im still not sure about Torres up front. And Reading should not to be under estimated.

Delighted at the Man Ure score.

Bad surprise for ManU but I think they will improve soon.
Kagawa is a great player and with Rooney and van Diver they propably have on of the best pair of strikers in the league.
Yeah, you are right, Reading shouldn't be under estimated but I don't see any problems for Chelsea, will be a relaxing TV evening for you, I guess. ;)
Have you ever been to London at Stamford Bridge to see Chelsea playing at home ?
How's the atmosphere ?
I'm thinking of watching a EPL game on my next trip to London, but first I have to convince my wife ;)
Did I ever mention that I watched Wimbledon playing Norwich in the Eighties ? Man, long time ago, the dark eighties....:rolleyes:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Bad surprise for ManU but I think they will improve soon.
Kagawa is a great player and with Rooney and van Diver they propably have on of the best pair of strikers in the league.
Yeah, you are right, Reading shouldn't be under estimated but I don't see any problems for Chelsea, will be a relaxing TV evening for you, I guess. ;)
Have you ever been to London at Stamford Bridge to see Chelsea playing at home ?
How's the atmosphere ?
I'm thinking of watching a EPL game on my next trip to London, but first I have to convince my wife ;)
Did I ever mention that I watched Wimbledon playing Norwich in the Eighties ? Man, long time ago, the dark eighties....:rolleyes:

I have not as yet been to the Bridge for a game, the last time i was down in London i didnt have enough time to go there. the next time im down im at least doing a stadium tour. As a fan its frustrating for example when you hear people say ''i got to see a free Chelsea European game through my job'' and it turns up that they arent even Blues supporters Grrrrrrrrrr. Cool if you manage to persuade her do a Chelsea game, and give a report of what you thought. Oh mio gowd you saw the Crazy gang was that at Plough Lane? thats the real Dark ages allrite.:eek::ninja:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have not as yet been to the Bridge for a game, the last time i was down in London i didnt have enough time to go there. the next time im down im at least doing a stadium tour. As a fan its frustrating for example when you hear people say ''i got to see a free Chelsea European game through my job'' and it turns up that they arent even Blues supporters Grrrrrrrrrr. Cool if you manage to persuade her do a Chelsea game, and give a report of what you thought. Oh mio gowd you saw the Crazy gang was that at Plough Lane? thats the real Dark ages allrite.:eek::ninja:
Yeah, that's a problem, but it's all a business as well, lots of tickets are bought by sponsors and given away to their customers or employees.
But to be honest - because of my job I sometimes had the opportunity to see games without beeing a supporter but more often I managed to see games when HSV was playing ! ;)
And you remember, I was in London when HSV played Fulham, I got the tickets for free because I had a colleague in our UK branch, his brother was head of whatever for ESPN sports....and thats why :whistling:;)
I think I will have a good chance to persuade my wife, she also likes going to sporting events.
Yepp, saw the Crazy Gang and I guess it must have been Plough Lane ?!
http://www.11v11.com/matches/wimbledon-v-norwich-city-25-october-1986-88228/
I was nearly 16 years old (O.K., now you know my age ;)) but I still remember a lot of details.
OMG, time flies :confused:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a problem, but it's all a business as well, lots of tickets are bought by sponsors and given away to their customers or employees.
But to be honest - because of my job I sometimes had the opportunity to see games without beeing a supporter but more often I managed to see games when HSV was playing ! ;)
And you remember, I was in London when HSV played Fulham, I got the tickets for free because I had a colleague in our UK branch, his brother was head of whatever for ESPN sports....and thats why :whistling:;)
I think I will have a good chance to persuade my wife, she also likes going to sporting events.
Yepp, saw the Crazy Gang and I guess it must have been Plough Lane ?!
http://www.11v11.com/matches/wimbledon-v-norwich-city-25-october-1986-88228/
I was nearly 16 years old (O.K., now you know my age ;)) but I still remember a lot of details.
OMG, time flies :confused:

Thats not so bad at all, at least your a Fan of a team thats playing.

It would have been Plough Lane in 86, (Dennis Wise was probly playing for them then!) that was like a 4th Division Ground. I was impressed with Wimbledons in your face style of play, reminded me of rugby players.:roflmao: They were a kind of (Anti Barcelona) team, not total football purists thats for sure! I think im a year behind you Roughly.;)

http://www.premierfootballbooks.co.uk/plough_lane.html

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats not so bad at all, at least your a Fan of a team thats playing.

It would have been Plough Lane in 86, (Dennis Wise was probly playing for them then!) that was like a 4th Division Ground. I was impressed with Wimbledons in your face style of play, reminded me of rugby players.:roflmao: They were a kind of (Anti Barcelona) team, not total football purists thats for sure! I think im a year behind you Roughly.;)

http://www.premierfootballbooks.co.uk/plough_lane.html

....and Vinnie "The Axe" too ! :D

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Well, though the 80's and 90's were not the best years for being a football fan I do have some nice memories.
I remember HSV games with 11.000 people attending in our old Volkspark stadium, loosing 0:4, rain, stadiums had no roofs these days and the Ultra idiots didn't exist.
Nice to know that we are about the same age, perhaps you have similar memories ?! ;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
....and Vinnie "The Axe" too ! :D

Well, though the 80's and 90's were not the best years for being a football fan I do have some nice memories.
I remember HSV games with 11.000 people attending in our old Volkspark stadium, loosing 0:4, rain, stadiums had no roofs these days and the Ultra idiots didn't exist.
Nice to know that we are about the same age, perhaps you have similar memories ?! ;)

Classic Pic Vinnie was a Nutter.:laugh:

Looking back from now they were pretty rough and hard times being a supporter of any team in the 80s, but at the time you didnt know any better. My first ever game was at Celtic Park in 1987 5-0 v Dundee for all for my sins, i went there a couple of times i think the other game was Aberdeen 0-0 although im not a Celtic fan i went along anyway. (I was dragged there by work mates who were rabid fans) The Stadium was an anicent relic pre Hillsborough, practically all standing apart from one section and they treated the fans like garbage. Terrible crowd control we were nearly squashed by a Policeman on a horse outside the ground in the crush. Ive never been back there since that was enough but the Stadium is much better now, has been upgraded or so im told. The Crowd were great though with lots of singing.

Uncle Vinnie against a star striker

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Classic Pic Vinnie was a Nutter.:laugh:

Looking back from now they were pretty rough and hard times being a supporter of any team in the 80s, but at the time you didnt know any better. My first ever game was at Celtic Park in 1987 5-0 v Dundee for all for my sins, i went there a couple of times i think the other game was Aberdeen 0-0 although im not a Celtic fan i went along anyway. (I was dragged there by work mates who were rabid fans) The Stadium was an anicent relic pre Hillsborough, practically all standing apart from one section and they treated the fans like garbage. Terrible crowd control we were nearly squashed by a Policeman on a horse outside the ground in the crush. Ive never been back there since that was enough but the Stadium is much better now, has been upgraded or so im told. The Crowd were great though with lots of singing.

Uncle Vinnie against a star striker

Man, that's mean :eek::D
Vinnie was quite popular for a football player who couldn't play football, funny that he even became a
little "movie star" and worked together with Guy Ritchie ;)
Playing football like him today would end up in a lifelong suspension, conviction for assault or even both ! :D

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Man, that's mean :eek::D
Vinnie was quite popular for a football player who couldn't play football, funny that he even became a
little "movie star" and worked together with Guy Ritchie ;)
Playing football like him today would end up in a lifelong suspension, conviction for assault or even both ! :D

No Doubt about it, he would be wearing a muzzle and a leash today if he was playing. Ironically he was a Spurs fan and Glen Hoddle was his favourite player hard to imagine two players less similar. Never mind what hes like now, but back in the day Hoddle was a Prince of a Footballer. Way too good for the England national team, they didnt know how to play him.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Doubt about it, he would be wearing a muzzle and a leash today if he was playing. Ironically he was a Spurs fan and Glen Hoddle was his favourite player hard to imagine two players less similar. Never mind what hes like now, but back in the day Hoddle was a Prince of a Footballer. Way too good for the England national team, they didnt know how to play him.

Wow, what a goal, Glen Hoddle was indeed a world class player.
But I could also see Peter Shilton in this video playing for Notthingam, well as you might know - we lost 0:1 against them in the European Cup Final 1980.

Ooops, halftime at Stamford Bridge - Reading leads 2:1, are you watching, what's going on there ? :eek:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Wow, what a goal, Glen Hoddle was indeed a world class player.
But I could also see Peter Shilton in this video playing for Notthingam, well as you might know - we lost 0:1 against them in the European Cup Final 1980.

Ooops, halftime at Stamford Bridge - Reading leads 2:1, are you watching, what's going on there ? :eek:

I chose that clip because it was Forest he scored against, a tiny bit of revenge for you for the 80 Cup Final.;) Thats the kind of attempt that not even a great keeper like Shilton could stop. Glenda scored an almost identical goal against Man U the same year i think.

See i told you its foolish to underestimate anyone, the Blues are work in progress at the moment. Im still far from happy with them, letting with all due respect Reading score two goals at the Bridge is not good at all. Thankfully we seem to have pulled it round 4-2 but it kind of proves my point a little........:rolleyes:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I chose that clip because it was Forest he scored against, a tiny bit of revenge for you for the 80 Cup Final.;) Thats the kind of attempt that not even a great keeper like Shilton could stop. Glenda scored an almost identical goal against Man U the same year i think.

See i told you its foolish to underestimate anyone, the Blues are work in progress at the moment. Im still far from happy with them, letting with all due respect Reading score two goals at the Bridge is not good at all. Thankfully we seem to have pulled it round 4-2 but it kind of proves my point a little........:rolleyes:
Yepp, I agree - underestimating the opponent is always dangerous but at the end 4-2 is enough for three points and they certainly will improve their game.
btw - there are new rumors that HSV is trying to bring R.v.d.Vaart "back home" to Hamburg ;)
I am excited...
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...seeks-funds-to-buy-joao-moutinho-8076258.html

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Yepp, I agree - underestimating the opponent is always dangerous but at the end 4-2 is enough for three points and they certainly will improve their game.
btw - there are new rumors that HSV is trying to bring R.v.d.Vaart "back home" to Hamburg ;)
I am excited...
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...seeks-funds-to-buy-joao-moutinho-8076258.html

Thats cool i hope it happens, but do you think this story has legs and he will go back to HSV?

BTW - AVB is a total idiot for wanting to get rid of a talented player such as Van der Vaart.

Would CFC be current champions league holders with him in charge? go figure.............

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats cool i hope it happens, but do you think this story has legs and he will go back to HSV?

BTW - AVB is a total idiot for wanting to get rid of a talented player such as Van der Vaart.

Would CFC be current champoins league holders with him in charge? go figure.............

To be honest - I am afraid that he es too expensive, his salary, transfer fee.....:(
But Michael Kuehne, a billionaire and huge HSV fan offers money to realize this transaction that's why I still hope that this could happen.....

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
To be honest - I am afraid that he es too expensive, his salary, transfer fee.....:(
But Michael Kuehne, a billionaire and huge HSV fan offers money to realize this transaction that's why I still hope that this could happen.....

Sometimes those non threat* billionaires do have their uses.;)

Wigan have agreed a fee to sell Victor Moses to Chelsea, he played well last week looks a decent prospect.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19181196

Leverkusens Schurrle is also still on the radar, but it seems like a waiting game for him.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-tell-Chelsea-told-bid.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

*open for debate

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes those non threat* billionaires do have their uses.;)

Wigan have agreed a fee to sell Victor Moses to Chelsea, he played well last week looks a decent prospect.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19181196

Leverkusens Schurrle is also still on the radar, but it seems like a waiting game for him.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-tell-Chelsea-told-bid.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

*open for debate

As long as he just "donates" the money for the football club he loves I'm fine with it ;)
The van der Vaarts are on the headlines everywhere here in Hamburg....
I will read the stories on my way to the office, still hoping that this little dream could come true ! :)
There will be exciting days to come for me and all HSV fans...

Oh, Chelsea still wants to have Schurrle...?
Well as I told you before, good player with lots of room to improve and to develop his skills because he is a very young and talented player - but 20 m GBP....puh, that sounds too expensive for him ?!
And Victor Moses looks like a good deal for Chelsea, talented player as well.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
As long as he just "donates" the money for the football club he loves I'm fine with it ;)
The van der Vaarts are on the headlines everywhere here in Hamburg....
I will read the stories on my way to the office, still hoping that this little dream could come true ! :)
There will be exciting days to come for me and all HSV fans...

Oh, Chelsea still wants to have Schurrle...?
Well as I told you before, good player with lots of room to improve and to develop his skills because he is a very young and talented player - but 20 m GBP....puh, that sounds too expensive for him ?!
And Victor Moses looks like a good deal for Chelsea, talented player as well.

Lucky young man Mr Vaart.;)

The money paid these days is beyond ridiculous anyway, in real life terms i would not pay £1M for even football giants like Zidane and Maradonna. Nevermind a youngster like Schurrle.

Mmmmm Seems the Blues are developing a Spanish colony a right back from Marseille
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19366944

Check this out is this a peculiarly Scottish thing or do other countries have the same problem? ie your best Striker who refuses to play for the national side because his little ego took a hit somewhere. Very puzzled by it all, spoiled brat players or useless coaches? I cant make up my mind as its not the first time its happened.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19363561

Members online

Latest posts