1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

EPL and British Football

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by UK Packer Backer, Jan 9, 2012.

1. UK Packer Backer

UK Packer Backer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    Obviously the EPL is a lot more popular that NFL on this side of the pond, but I wondered if any of our American cousins took any interest in the EPL; and if so what your favourite team are and why?

2. SanDiegoCheese

SanDiegoCheese West Coast Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +185
    I LOVE the EPL!!!!
    Go Blues, Chelsea!!!! I went to stamford bridge 2 years ago on our visit to London. AMAZING!!!!! I've been a fan for along time my favorite Chelsea player (all time) is Gianfranco Zola! :tup:
    Current faves: Cech, Torres, Drogba, Lamps, Terry

3. UK Packer Backer

Ratings:
    +7
    Apparently ARod is a Liverpool 'supporter' - link

4. SanDiegoCheese

Ratings:
    +185

Who's your fav. EPL team?

5. UK Packer Backer

Ratings:
    +7
    Norwich City - must be something to do with Green and Yellow - supported them for over 30 years

6. SanDiegoCheese

Ratings:
    +185
    Nice! Much respect to fans of smaller team ie: Norwich City, West Ham, Blackpool, Leeds United. etc. Here in the states you mostly see both Manchester teams, Chelsea, Liverpool, Aresenal jerseys. Once in a while I'll see someone with a Balckpool jersey or Southampton jersey and when I do, I stop them to say hello and tell them it's refreshing to see them representing their team. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  7. KCPackFan

KCPackFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Soccer (true football) is my first sport. I started supporting Everton about a decade ago and still do today.

Clint Dempsey became the first American with an EPL hat trick today. Good stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SanDiegoCheese

Ratings:
    +185
    Do you guys think Fernando Torres will ever find his form for the Blues?

9. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +988
    Im a Chelsea Fan, Torres seems like a square peg in a round hole. At 50m hes found it really difficult to live up to the price tag, you never know one day he might come good, but dont hold your breath!

10. SanDiegoCheese

Ratings:
    +185
    Chelsea 3 Man United 3

Ugh, talk about leaving the 3 pts on the table. 'Nando had a great cross that set up Mata for the Goal, but he had a clear opportunity to score but just over thought the shooting process. Oh well, let hope we catch Tottenham and at least finish top 3.

11. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +988
    At 3-0 i was amazed, but something told me their going to equalise one way or another. Sure enough..........id take Jose Mourinho back in an instant, but i doubt the Russian Billionaire is having any of that.

12. SanDiegoCheese

Ratings:
    +185
    Yup, I had the same feeling. :rolleyes:

Yeah, having Jose back would be AWESOME! but like you, I don't see it happening either. AVB has done o.k. I guess, at times he does seem out of place in the EPL but given time I could see him doing GREAT things for the Blues.

13. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +988
    Ouch a 2-0 defeat to Everton, oh dear AVB is way out of his depth it would seem.

14. packersflow

packersflow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Ah been a Newcastle fan for about 5 years now, just can't get enough by far my favorite sport and the EPL my favorite league. Relegation was hard, it was shocking how many fans dropped us.. now they all crawl back as we approach euro...

15. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +988
    Relegation didnt do you any harm at all, the fairweather fans come and go so forget them. I liked it better back in 82' when i started supporting the blues, no money no big players, rubbish stadium, getting a win was so much better then because it was unexpected most of the time.

16. packerstl101

packerstl101 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    Chelsea is my team

17. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,302
    FC Bayern fan here. They face Chelsea in a couple weeks!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

18. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +988
    Should be a good Champions League Final, Bayern have homefield advantage and are clear favourites.
    But Chelsea knocked out the mighty Barcelona, so you never know.

19. Croak

Ratings:
    +1,302
    I guess both teams will be missing some good players too due to card situations.

20. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +988
    The yellow card ban devalues the whole thing for everyone. Having said that Chelsea might have more of a chance winning without John Terry, he had a nightmare the last time he played a German team.

21. Croak

Ratings:
    +1,302
    It'll be interesting to see if Chelsea sticks with their long ball strategy against FCB. Right now I'm watching Bayern Munich vs. Stuttgart on the internet because no stations or PPV on my supplier broadcasts Bundesliga. The funny thing is it is a Spanish station I'm watching. So I'm in the US, watching German Soccer with a Spanish announcer. I feel so global....

22. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +988
    The Blues did what they had to against Barca, ''Parking the Bus'' and counter attacking. It wasnt pretty but it worked. If we had opened up we'd have been destroyed by them, they are that good. You seem to know a bit about the beautiful game, good on you for taking an interest in it. Given the chance id watch Bundesliga games, something about them more technical than the Premiership. Can we have Robben back? we should never have let him go, great player.

23. Croak

Ratings:
    +1,302
    I coached a school team for a couple years: both championships. I also coached and referreed on what we call intramural leagues. Between the school and intramurals I had 7 championship teams. I taught them Bundesliga style. So it wasn't hard to beat teams who were taught US style footy.

24. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    English Premier League??

What is it.

• Like Like x 1
  25. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +988
    At the World Cup 2010 Germany played England and the Germans thrashed them 4-2, (ill even give them the disallowed goal)
    Even though most of the English players were on triple the money of the Germans, it was quite clear who the better side was. I like the English Premier League, but at international level the UK teams are pretty poor.

• Like Like x 1