Entitled Town?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Tough to not feel entitled in the GB area when God and His golfing buddies live up the road! And His son coaches the kid's baseball teams.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough to not feel entitled in the GB area when God and His golfing buddies live up the road! And His son coaches the kid's baseball teams.

VERY well said. Dallas may be America's Team, but the Packers are God's Team, and we as Packer fans are entitled to a winner. Does anybody not believe that Vince is up there serving as God's Administrator for Sports making good things happen?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
There's absolutely no question in my mind "entitlement is bigger in our society today than 10 years ago" and dangerously so IMO. I of course don't know how much entitlement or complacency has crept into the Packers staff but it's a good thing McCarthy is aware of it. Even McCarthy's detractors should recognize the guy prepares like crazy. That's not the bottom line but it seems to me like he's not taking his job for granted or feeling "entitled".

The most interesting part of the article IMO was:
Last year, McCarthy adjusted to the loss of offensive coordinator Joe Philbin to Miami as head coach by hiring one new coach (Alex Van Pelt) and reassigning three others (Tom Clements, Ben McAdoo and Jerry Fontenot) within the staff.
"I didn't handle that as well as I should have through the spring and training camp," said McCarthy. "That was a bigger adjustment than I thought it was going to be. At the end of the day, the expertise in that specific position wasn't quite where it needed to be to start the year.

"As the season went on, we got where we needed to be. I think we're going to be a lot better there."
Two points: First McCarthy says "I didn't handle it as well as I should have…" Again, not the bottom line but I like that his "default position" is to take responsibility personally. And second is he saying Clements wasn't ready to be OC?

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer fans entitled to a winner? What happened from 1970 to 1991, when the when the Packers had very few winning seasons? During that era the Packers had only winning seasons in 1972, 1978, 1982 and 1989 .

That is why I feel that Packers fans of this era from 1992-2012 should feel fortunate with Packer administrations that have been sharp enough to have Packer teams win two Super Bowl championship in Three Super Bowl appearences.

Also, The Packers have had 15 winning seasons, Two losing seasons and two .500 seasons from period of 1992-2012.

Before the Lombardi era, During the era of 1948 -1948, The Packers had no winning seasons ( 9 losing seasons). The nearest the Packers had to a winning season in that era was 6-6 in 1952 and 6-6 in 1955.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer fans entitled to a winner? What happened from 1970 to 1991, when the when the Packers had very few winning seasons? During that era the Packers had only winning seasons in 1972, 1978, 1982 and 1989 .

That is why I feel that Packers fans of this era from 1992-2012 should feel fortunate with Packer administrations that have been sharp enough to have Packer teams win two Super Bowl championship in Three Super Bowl appearences.

Also, The Packers have had 15 winning seasons, Two losing seasons and two .500 seasons from period of 1992-2012.
Right, this is why our fans who are 30 & under have been very spoiled.

But the most spoiled of all have been the grandfathered-in season ticket holders.

H

HardRightEdge

As with many MM quotes, I find myself asking, "what does he mean exactly?"

Complacency in himself, his coaches, his players ?

Who is entitled in his view? Is he talking about the players or the fans? Does he mention Green Bay in particular because the fans have become accustomed to winning, and this represents a warning? Or is it the players who have become entitled, being big fish in the small pond of Green Bay while resting on the laurels of 3 seasons back?

Or is he just wandering into general social commentary with a vague sense of there being some relationship to his football team?

Got me.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I agree HardRight, Mc does tend to speak in generalities when speaking with the press. While it irritates me, because I'm a literal person, I also understand that Corporate America is by-and-large the same way. They really have no obligation to the citizenry (or, PackerNation in this case) to air their corporate dirty laundry or short comings in line item fashion, you know?

I do think that Mc has had more pointed discussions with those that he feels may hold an entitlement mentality...or perhaps just a "lazy attitude". I'd feel pretty secure in speculating that the offending parties know exactly who he's referring to.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Complacentcy, to me, would be on the players. Who cares if the fans are complacent. Entitlement could/should be on both. Players feeling entitled are a detriment to the team. Fans feeling entitled are the result of many years now of success. And that entitlement belongs to those that have not experienced the 70's and 80's. Anyone that has been a fan only since the Wolf/Holmgren/Favre years has no concept of the mediocrity that ruled those decades. We have had 20 years of very good teams to watch, but some of us are still around to understand how tough it can be. Fan entitlement only means criticism. Player entitlement means less performance than we, as fans, expect. Less than the team/ fans pay for.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Complacentcy, to me, would be on the players. Who cares if the fans are complacent. Entitlement could/should be on both. Players feeling entitled are a detriment to the team. Fans feeling entitled are the result of many years now of success. And that entitlement belongs to those that have not experienced the 70's and 80's. Anyone that has been a fan only since the Wolf/Holmgren/Favre years has no concept of the mediocrity that ruled those decades. We have had 20 years of very good teams to watch, but some of us are still around to understand how tough it can be. Fan entitlement only means criticism. Player entitlement means less performance than we, as fans, expect. Less than the team/ fans pay for.

lol....no doubt I remember the dark days....I was overly thrilled and felt like a bada$$ when an 8-8 finish happened.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol....no doubt I remember the dark days....I was overly thrilled and felt like a bada$$ when an 8-8 finish happened.
DARK DAYS?
Thinks like this will lead to a decade+ of dark days......

October 22nd, 1974
GREEN BAY - Coach Dan Devine of the Green Bay Packers, as displeased as most fans with the Packers' lack of punch on offense, overhauled the team's quarterback corps Tuesday.
After announcing that veteran Jack Concannon, Jerry Tagge's backup, would start Sunday against the Lions in Detroit, Devine then obtained veteran John Hadl from the Los Angeles Rams for five draft choices and waived the Packers' other quarterback, Dean Carlson.

Hadl, 34, and in his 13th season of pro ball, was expensive. To get him, the Packers gave up first-, second- and third-round choices in the next draft, and a first and second choice in 1976.

Said Devine, however, "We still have everything for the 1975 draft but our first and third choices, and that includes two second-round picks. The Rams originally wanted players, and we got it down to the draft choices. We have a lot of people on injured reserve who, when healthy, will give us an overcomplement of players, so replacing those draft choices is not going to be any problem if and when we want to do it."
Devine said that the Packers had been considering a quarterback deal for more than a week before Monday night's 10-9 defeat at Chicago against the Bears.

"We had a lot of discussions," he said. "We were thinking about Archie Manning of the Saints, too. But John became available and we needed to do something at this point."
The deadline for trades in the National Football League was 3 p.m., Wisconsin time.
Devine said that Hadl was the only quarterback actually sought by the Packers, although three other NFL quaterbacks, Craig Morton, Norm Snead and Joe Reed were traded Tuesday.
Ironically, it was a poor showing against the Packers in Milwaukee Oct. 13 that led to Hadl's availability. He was the Rams' starter for that game, but he was replaced by James Harris after completing only 6 of 16 passes for 59 yards and throwing two interceptions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts