1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Entitled Town?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by HyponGrey, Feb 24, 2013.

1. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
  2. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,049
    Tough to not feel entitled in the GB area when God and His golfing buddies live up the road! And His son coaches the kid's baseball teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,476
    No it's not. You can be appreciative and grateful without feeling entitled

4. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    VERY well said. Dallas may be America's Team, but the Packers are God's Team, and we as Packer fans are entitled to a winner. Does anybody not believe that Vince is up there serving as God's Administrator for Sports making good things happen?

5. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,286
    There's absolutely no question in my mind "entitlement is bigger in our society today than 10 years ago" and dangerously so IMO. I of course don't know how much entitlement or complacency has crept into the Packers staff but it's a good thing McCarthy is aware of it. Even McCarthy's detractors should recognize the guy prepares like crazy. That's not the bottom line but it seems to me like he's not taking his job for granted or feeling "entitled".

The most interesting part of the article IMO was:
    Two points: First McCarthy says "I didn't handle it as well as I should haveā€¦" Again, not the bottom line but I like that his "default position" is to take responsibility personally. And second is he saying Clements wasn't ready to be OC?

6. PWT

PWT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    Packer fans entitled to a winner? What happened from 1970 to 1991, when the when the Packers had very few winning seasons? During that era the Packers had only winning seasons in 1972, 1978, 1982 and 1989 .

That is why I feel that Packers fans of this era from 1992-2012 should feel fortunate with Packer administrations that have been sharp enough to have Packer teams win two Super Bowl championship in Three Super Bowl appearences.

Also, The Packers have had 15 winning seasons, Two losing seasons and two .500 seasons from period of 1992-2012.

Before the Lombardi era, During the era of 1948 -1948, The Packers had no winning seasons ( 9 losing seasons). The nearest the Packers had to a winning season in that era was 6-6 in 1952 and 6-6 in 1955.

7. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Right, this is why our fans who are 30 & under have been very spoiled.

But the most spoiled of all have been the grandfathered-in season ticket holders.

8. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,666
    As with many MM quotes, I find myself asking, "what does he mean exactly?"

Complacency in himself, his coaches, his players ?

Who is entitled in his view? Is he talking about the players or the fans? Does he mention Green Bay in particular because the fans have become accustomed to winning, and this represents a warning? Or is it the players who have become entitled, being big fish in the small pond of Green Bay while resting on the laurels of 3 seasons back?

Or is he just wandering into general social commentary with a vague sense of there being some relationship to his football team?

Got me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,085
    I agree HardRight, Mc does tend to speak in generalities when speaking with the press. While it irritates me, because I'm a literal person, I also understand that Corporate America is by-and-large the same way. They really have no obligation to the citizenry (or, PackerNation in this case) to air their corporate dirty laundry or short comings in line item fashion, you know?

I do think that Mc has had more pointed discussions with those that he feels may hold an entitlement mentality...or perhaps just a "lazy attitude". I'd feel pretty secure in speculating that the offending parties know exactly who he's referring to.

10. Packer Fan in SD

Packer Fan in SD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    Complacentcy, to me, would be on the players. Who cares if the fans are complacent. Entitlement could/should be on both. Players feeling entitled are a detriment to the team. Fans feeling entitled are the result of many years now of success. And that entitlement belongs to those that have not experienced the 70's and 80's. Anyone that has been a fan only since the Wolf/Holmgren/Favre years has no concept of the mediocrity that ruled those decades. We have had 20 years of very good teams to watch, but some of us are still around to understand how tough it can be. Fan entitlement only means criticism. Player entitlement means less performance than we, as fans, expect. Less than the team/ fans pay for.

11. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    lol....no doubt I remember the dark days....I was overly thrilled and felt like a bada$$ when an 8-8 finish happened.

12. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    DARK DAYS?
    Thinks like this will lead to a decade+ of dark days......

13. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,049
    6 of 16 for 59 yards and two picks. Definitely worth 2 firsts and more for a 13 year vet.

• Funny Funny x 1