route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Enter the waffle house at your risk
Posted: April 8, 2006
SportsDay

Bob Wolfley

Silly you.

You came to this space expecting me to have made a decision about the topic I was going to address in today's column.

Well, I haven't decided.

In fact, I'm struggling with whether I want to write again.

I may write. I may not write. I just don't know what I want to do at this moment.

Advertisement

You wasted a trip back here if you came thinking I had decided.

After I finished my last column, it was tough for me to be excited about writing. Even though I love writing - it's in my blood - I don't know if I can ever write again.

What I need now is for readers to be patient. We're in no hurry. The paper will come out tomorrow, and the next day and the next, and the next, whether I decide to write again or not.

I know one thing.

I don't want to go through a year like last year.

It was brutal. Soaring newsprint prices. Eroding circulation. Incursion of the Internet. Blogs.

When I joined this newspaper I never dreamed we would go through a year like that one. I don't want to go through something like that ever again.

I know I can still write at a high level. There is nothing more that I would rather do than write. But I have been at this a long time and I know one day it will come to an end.

Ask anyone who has been at this as long as I have and they will tell you. It's not the physical part that's the challenge. It's the mental part.

It's easy to say, "I want to write." Anyone can say that.

With my personal trainer and a rigorous program that emphasizes flexibility, I can still drag these old digits over the letters of my keyboard. Sure some of my fingers ache the morning after I've written a hard-hitting column. But it's a good hurt. You get used to it.

The really hard part is getting yourself prepared mentally to face the grind. The hard part is preparing yourself to write at the very highest of levels. If I call it quits, that'll be the reason why.

My decision about my future in writing has nothing to do about my feelings for my bosses, Marty Kaiser and Garry D. Howard. I have talked with them frequently about my circumstance. They are well aware of how I feel.

They have told me to take as much time as I need to reach a decision and I appreciate that.

But they also know I'm keeping an eye on what they do to improve our section in the upcoming months.

As for working for this newspaper and the people of Milwaukee, a writer couldn't be more fortunate. There isn't any other organization for which I would rather work. I love the people of this city. They have been great.

So thanks for coming back here, even though I don't have anything to say.

Maybe I'll have something to say soon. Or not.

In the meantime, there are tractors to ride and golf balls to hit.

MAYBE SOME WILL BASH ME FOR POSTING THIS, BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY. :lol:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read that in this mornings Journal/Sentinel. I think the guy makes some valid points, tongue in cheek. Really, how many would LOVE to have a job that you could just go "i don't feel like doing it now" and make your BOSS wait for your decision?
Favre used to play for the fun of the game..........to me, that should be enough for him to come back. After all, how many "great teams on paper" really end up winning it all? Not alot. The Packers only need to get to the playoffs, then hit them at full speed. The Pack could have easily been 9-7 with a few different bounces of the ball. ONE bad season, and Favre is willing to walk away? I LIKE him ALOT! But i don't understand that kind of thinking. How many QB's have MANY bad years, yet come to work and try their best anyway?
Just my "slant" on this..........you can disagree if you want, it's JUST my feelings.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree 100% with everything cheesey posted about this. 8 games last year lost by 7 or less points. They aren't your average 4-12 team. I was always into Favre as a player because of the fun that he has. If he feels that he can't have fun playing anymore then there is no reason for him not to retire.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah..

It's no FUN playing on a team that SUCKS...

get it?

word..!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your right Rat........i have not been blessed enough to play football, but i have been a bowler since i was a kid. I have been on teams that sucked, and on a team that won the state championship. I have had a 134 triplicate series ( 402 total,the lowest series i ever bowled in league) and a perfect 300 game. I had FUN ALL the time. It is what you make it. If he has to question himself, then it IS time to walk away. I REALLY think he will regret it though..........as soon as football starts, he will say "What was i thinking???" As all he has to do is ride around on his tractor.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I read that in this mornings Journal/Sentinel. I think the guy makes some valid points, tongue in cheek. Really, how many would LOVE to have a job that you could just go "i don't feel like doing it now" and make your BOSS wait for your decision?
Favre used to play for the fun of the game..........to me, that should be enough for him to come back. After all, how many "great teams on paper" really end up winning it all? Not alot. The Packers only need to get to the playoffs, then hit them at full speed. The Pack could have easily been 9-7 with a few different bounces of the ball. ONE bad season, and Favre is willing to walk away? I LIKE him ALOT! But i don't understand that kind of thinking. How many QB's have MANY bad years, yet come to work and try their best anyway?
Just my "slant" on this..........you can disagree if you want, it's JUST my feelings.

Your opinion is so noted - and a valid one at that. Unless you're drinking the Brett Favre kool-aid, that is.

I would bet, that back in the 60's there were a few Bart Starr opinion makers out there, as well... whenever they would lose a game ( I know, it wasn't that often).

Your post is leaning toward Favre-bashing - you know that, right?
(Not really, I just figured someone should say it right away and get it over with)

I luv that article - it speaks volumes for which the Luvers have no counter response.... Unless it's character assassination, that is.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
IBPrez said..

Your opinion is so noted - and a valid one at that. Unless you're drinking the Brett Favre kool-aid, that is.

I can't touch that stuff...

..."sensitive teeth"...

How many GM's have HOF QB's that have the "so-called" Packer fans permission to treat like a rookie..??

Answer: 0

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
cheesey said:

hahaha, thats great. they know who they are.

i agree with the cheeseter

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
IBPrez said..

I can't touch that stuff...

..."sensitive teeth"...

How many GM's have HOF QB's that have the "so-called" Packer fans permission to treat like a rookie..??

Answer: 0

Why would any other team care about what 'Packer fans' give permission to? No duh the answer is 0.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, i love Favre and the fun he has given to me as a fan. Thats something that nothing will take away. Now, he HAS to know that WITH him as QB, the Packers at LEAST stand a chance of making the playoffs, and maybe farther. And he HAS to know that without him, they will be LUCKY to make it to 4-12 this season. No matter who TT picked up, their is NO guarentee that the Packers would win the Super Bowl. NO one can promise that.
So to me, the whole thing comes down to Favre, if he WANTS to play or not. If he doesn't, WHY is he hanging on? NOTHING is going to change between now and the mini camp. So WHY the hold up?
To me, he should just strap on his helmet, and say "I'm gonna do what i can to lead this team to the playoffs." Or ride off on his lawn mower and be done with it. I REALLY think if he leaves, he will regret it. He still has the talent physically. MOST QB's hang on long after they SHOULD have quit.
I love the guy, and whether he comes back or quits, nothing will change that. I just don't agree with how he's handling this is all. But it's his life.
Again, just my opinion.

Members online

Latest posts