Enough with the new QB threads!!!!

Twizz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give Rogers a chance. He's a first rounder... What mroe could you ask for? He's been sitting behind Favre for a while and I bet a little bit has rubbed off. I think he is a natural born leader. I know it was jst a game but Rogers look very poised in the Dallas game. Calm cool and collective in the pocket, making good choices and controling the game. Will he be the next Favre? No. Will he be next QB in GB? You bet.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ditto. There aint no more Brett Favre's out there so just see what Rodgers can do. Give him at least 2 years and hopefully he doesnt get run out of town for not winning the superbowl next year.

It is what it is.

Reaction score
You need to get new QBs in Green Bay. Behind Rodgers, we have Dalton Bell and Jerry Babb. Yeah, those names aren't exactly comforting...

You need a vet to at least serve as a back-up in case Rodgers gets injured or struggles terribly.

You also need a young QB that has the potential to be an NFL starting QB in case Rodgers isn't the answer. Let's face it, no one can say for certainty Rodgers is the answer. He looks like he'll be at least a solid QB, but you have to have a back-up plan in case Rodgers isn't what we thought he could be.

So Packers need new QBs, and threads outlining that fact are not necessarily aimed at saying Rodgers won't be able to do a solid job.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
You need to get new QBs in Green Bay. Behind Rodgers, we have Dalton Bell and Jerry Babb. Yeah, those names aren't exactly comforting...

You need a vet to at least serve as a back-up in case Rodgers gets injured or struggles terribly.

You also need a young QB that has the potential to be an NFL starting QB in case Rodgers isn't the answer. Let's face it, no one can say for certainty Rodgers is the answer. He looks like he'll be at least a solid QB, but you have to have a back-up plan in case Rodgers isn't what we thought he could be.

So Packers need new QBs, and threads outlining that fact are not necessarily aimed at saying Rodgers won't be able to do a solid job.

I agree, we do need to get a veterin QB to back up Rodgers, just in case.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly right aadp. Rodgers can certainly do the job but very few "Iron Men" come along these days. They need a veteran that can take over in an emergency and (hopefully) a young guy to carry the clipboard.

I'm just glad Pittsburgh has Charlie Batch locked up...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
so you want no new threads on q/b?

but yet type your thoughts on why Rodgers would be good

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 name david carr

stay as far away as you possibly can from david carr.

complete head case. he couldnt fill jake delhomme's shoes... how in the world would he ever fill Bretts.

to go along with his mental lapses... he has a terrible throwing motion and really lacks any zip or certainty to his passes.

he really is the last thing we want in green bay as a starting option. as a stop gap to put behind Rodgers maybe. but it would have to be at a reasonable price.... which im pretty certain you could get him at now.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah he wouldnt be a bad stop gap guy.

i just think with the pressure that comes with starting after Brett Favre. David Carr would melt down and be useless.

If he could get his act together. let Aaron handle the pressure and be used as a back up and practice QB. then i think thats where he can be useful to us.

but he should be getting doug pederson kind of money... and im not sure hes willing to settle for that.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
can somebody list all the QB's MM has worked with throughout his career?
I reckon hell bring in a rookie plus a veteran he has worked with before.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give Rogers a chance. He's a first rounder... What mroe could you ask for? He's been sitting behind Favre for a while and I bet a little bit has rubbed off. I think he is a natural born leader. I know it was jst a game but Rogers look very poised in the Dallas game. Calm cool and collective in the pocket, making good choices and controling the game. Will he be the next Favre? No. Will he be next QB in GB? You bet.

I was under the impression that those threads were mostly not for Rodgers but for who came after him.

Most of us like Rodgers and want him to succeed. The only question I personally have is his healthy. His I.Q. and his abilities, I think are spectacular from what I've seen in the preseason and in the times he came in to relieve Favre.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LIke it or not that Packers MUST add a QB to the roster. The only question is whether a Veteran is there who could be a backup worthy behind Rodgers, or if they are better off drafting a Rookie and have him sit behind Rodgers as he learns the game.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LIke it or not that Packers MUST add a QB to the roster. The only question is whether a Veteran is there who could be a backup worthy behind Rodgers, or if they are better off drafting a Rookie and have him sit behind Rodgers as he learns the game.

I'm not TT, but I'll try to make a guess what TT does (and what MM wants).

We keep Nall as our #2 QB. He knows the system. He knows a lot of our players. Then we draft a project.

What we don't do is we don't sign an over the hill Vet.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:

We keep Nall as our #2 QB. He knows the system. He knows a lot of our players. Then we draft a project.

The problem here is the only Vet's I see are either ones with maybe 2 or 3 years left in them, or ones that are pretty young like Carr, or Quinn Gray.

That's why I suspect we draft a prospect, probably in the 4th Round.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:

:agree:

Craig Nall is the veteran QB evryone is talking about. Some guys were meant to be back-ups and that is Craig Nall.
Some forget he backed up Brett his first three years and showed enough promise to be signed by Buffalo as a FA to compete for the starting job.

Craig Nall knows the system and knows what it means to be a back-up.

Here's a sleeper for everyone in the draft.
Ben Mauk, university of Cincinatti. He transfered there and started last year as a senior. Look him up, check his stats, want to really dig into this guy check out his stats from high school you will be impressed.
He will be a steal in the 4th or 5th rnd.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking the Pack should bring in a veteran to help A-Rod in his first season as a starter.

Maybe a guy that knows his playing days are over and wants one last pay check or a chance to mentor some young guys.

Guys that come to mind:

Mark Brunell
Trent Green

Guys who think they may still have a shot:

Tim Rattay
David Carr
Culpepper
Leftwich

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL @ the op of this thread, wanted it to stop but with posting this made it continue

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mauk is a pretty good QB, and has the arm and presence of mind for the sort of passing game we run. I like that.

Of the guys millertime mentioned. Mark Brunnel would not surprise me, he still can manage a game even if he lacks that long arm he once had. Trent Green is out of the question I think, Too Old, and too injured. I'd say no to Culpepper, I'd take a flyer on leftwich but he can only be signed if he understands we want him to learn the system and not worry about starting at least the first year. If after a year he looks like the better option then so be it. I'd not be opposed to David Carr, even though I've never been a fan of his, mostly because he has never really had a solid O-Line in front of him.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I think we take a flyer on Carr for a one year min type deal, let Nall, Carr and a draft choice fight it out for back up duty to Rodgers.. IMO.

Carr has talent and maybe an entire offseason working with MM might help his decision making along. Carr never really has had a decent QB coach other than Kubiak for a short period.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leftwich has a great arm, and is pretty tough for a QB. He remember watching a few of his games when he played for Marshall. I'm not sure about his accuracy, but I think the Jags didn't coach him up right. If he's given a chance to learn a system, and work on his accuracy, I think that he could be a valuable player down the road.

Members online

Latest posts