1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Emmitt'isms

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by FrankRizzo, Jun 17, 2010.

1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    The Simple Emmitts

The following Emmitt quotes are comprised of one or two small grammatical errors. Emmitt made so many of these, I considered it a miracle every time he went 10 words without a blunder.

1. "The Titans are trying to prove theremselves as the lead AFC contender for that division." (Commentary: Emmitt must have missed school the day his second-grade teacher explained that "theremselves" is not a real word.)
    2. "I don't know. I cannot make those decision." (Commentary: Can he not make those decision because he can't put those sentence together?)
    3. "Since Day 1, you was drafted by these folk here and they do not appreciate what you bringing to the football field." (Commentary: How dare these folk here not appreciate what he bringing?)
    4. "This will allow them to make up ground as the season go on." (Commentary: One of Emmitt's more grammatically correct sentences. Emmitt should put this one on his resume once he applies to CBS, FOX or the NFL Network.)
    5. "Jennings make a great catch to get it at its highest point." (Commentary: Just one more letter, Emmitt, and the sentence is grammatically correct. Come on, Emmitt! You can do it! Just one more letter!)
    6. "When I look at the Vikings, I see a problem at quarterback position." (Commentary: I guess the Vikings signed Brett Favre because of Emmitt's sage advice.)
    7. "Tony Romo need to become the leader of the Dalla Cowboys." (Commentary: Emmitt apparently hates putting the letter "s" at the end of most words.)
    8. "This is the kind of leadership this offense need ...(5-second pause)...s." (Commentary: It only took Emmitt five seconds to realize that there needed to be an "s" at the end of the last word of his sentence. Progress!)
    9. "Guys was hittin' hard (on why he retired)" (Commentary: Now, guys is speakin' bad.)
    10. "He has the speed to make something happen once he get into the secondary." (Commentary: One can only wonder if Emmitt can make something happen once he get into the second-grade reading level.)
    11. "Get the ball to Marion Barber hands." (Commentary: Screw the apostrophe-S! It's useless!)
    12. "And the Broncos just laid an egg. They turned the ball over an ungodly amount of time... times." (Commentary: Emmitt also makes grammatical errors an ungodly amount of time... times.)
    13. "Those things are big part of going into the playoff." (Commentary: Much like articles are a big part of constructing a sentence.)
    14. "You must learn to conquer your opponent on the road. Until you do that, you will be known as the same old Cardinals - a team that look good but does not play well on the road." (Commentary: Emmitt must learn how to conjugate his verbs. Until he does that, he will be known as the same old Emmitt - an analyst that look good but does not non-debaclize his words.)
    15. "Give Marshawn Lynch those 20 carries again because it's time. It's time, it's now. Marshawn Lynch need to step up tonight." (Commentary: It's time. It's time now for ESPN to bring Emmitt back.)
    16. "You take what the defense give you." (Commentary: In the end, the letter "s" was Emmitt's demise at ESPN. Well, that, and about 300 incoherent sentences.)
    17. "I think you take the time to go through the rest of the season, see how the rest of the season play out." (Commentary: As opposed to going through the rest of the season and not seeing how the rest of the season play out. Is avoiding this an option?)
    18. "This is where this offense need to be at." (Commentary: Unfortunately, Emmitt, this is not where this sentence need to be at. Please try again.)
    19. "The Dolphins has a very legitimate shot of going to New York and beatin the Jets." (Commentary: Unfortunately, Emmitt doesn't has a very legitimate shot of going to Bristol and getting his job back.)
    20. "When I look at Donovan McNabb, who have had his share of struggles like everyone else in the National Football League..." (Commentary: Emmitt can certainly relate to Donovan McNabb and his share of struggles.)
    From WalterFootball

2. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Frank--80% of the pro athletes in any league ain't got no good grammar.

3. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
  4. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Ain't dat the truth.
    But the funny thing is that Emmitt was given a job as a commentator/analyst/broadcaster, and that job involves speaking.

He was so bad though it was funny, and I'd like to have him back.

I mean Deion TRIES to be funny all the time but he's as irritating as a hang nail and I want to punch him in his primetime mouth.

I thought Emmitt and Steve Young were a great combo, since Young is pretty smart and well-spoken. Great contrast.

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    emmitt, best RB of the 90s.

6. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    LOL there so funny :D

7. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Emmit is back woods hick. Give him a break.

8. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    There, corrected it for you ;)

9. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Corrected for errors.

10. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Emmitt> Barry.

Sorry I dont play the what if game and make excuses for Barry Sanders.

11. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Hmn.

So I guess Tinny Smith was the best RB a SB has ever seen...

12. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Barry Sanders > Emmitt Smith, without question
    Dallas Cowboys > Detroit Lions, without question

Jimmy Johnson > Wayne Fontes
    Barry Switzer > Wayne Fontes
    Troy Aikman > Eric Kramer
    Troy Aikman > Scott Mitchell
    Dallas OL > Detroit OL
    Michael Irvin > Herman Moore
    Jay Novacek > Lions had no TE

Emmitt was 5-9, 210. Barry was 5-8, 203.
    I find that interesting because the scouts and guru's on TV call guys that size "undersized" and not every-day down backs coming out of college at that size.

(1996) Smith lost points in this battle last season, when his offensive linemen showed signs of wear and age and Smith's yards-per-carry average dropped from 4.7 in 1995 to 3.7. Sure, it breaks the no-statistics pledge, but that one is too telling to avoid.

:UPDATE, Barry DID IN FACT break the 2000-yard barrier after that article was written.

Emmitt on that star-studded Cowboys team: 8-time Pro Bowler & 4-time First-Team All-Pro

Sanders on that star-studded Lions team: 10-time Pro Bowler & 6-time First-Team All-Pro

STATISTIC-CRUNCHER
    Emmitt played 15 seasons. Should we compare-count his final 5 years, 2 of which were stinkers in Arizona and the final 3 were sub-1000 yard seasons?
    In Emmitt's final 5 years, he only had 1 year with an average carry of more than 3.9 yards, and that was a pedestrian 4.1 average in his 5th-to-last-season when he averaged 75 yards a game.

I think the fairest would be compare each's first 10 remarkable Hall-of-Fame material seasons -The complete duration that Barry was in the league.
    I remember a Monday night game between the two of these guys in about 1994 Detroit @ Dallas, and even Emmitt said at the time that Barry is the best.

Emmitt, first 10 seasons
    155 games
    3243 carries
    13,963 yards
    1,396 yards per season
    90.08 yards per game
    4.3 yards per carry
    *136 TD rushes

*442 catches
    2728 yards receiving
    6.17 yards per catch
    *11 TD catches

Total fumbles 45

Sanders, first 10 seasons
    153 games
    3062 carries
    *15,269 yards
    *1,527 yards per season
    *99.8 yards per game
    *5.0 yards per carry
    99 TD rushes

352 catches
    *2921 yards receiving
    *8.3 yards per catch
    10 TD catches

*Total fumbles 41

Now remember, when defenses played the Lions, all 11 sets of defensive eyes were focused on Sanders at the start of the play.
    Teams had nightmares the night before facing Barry Sanders.
    We know it as Packer fans.

When teams played Dallas, they had to defend Hall of Fame QB Troy Aikman and Hall of Fame WR Michael Irvin, as well as Pro Bowl TE Jay Novacek, and faster than hell WR Alvin Harper. You might remember him beating Terrell Buckley for long TDs.

We Packer fans also know that Emmitt sometimes killed us, but so did Irvin, Harper, and their defense. They beat us without Emmitt once. They beat us without Aikman once. That's how great that damn Cowboy team was.

Opposing defenses had one key when playing the Lions and that was to stop Barry Sanders.
    Opposing defenses playing Dallas had to worry about a lot more than just #22. And of course, the Dallas OL had 4 regular Pro-Bowlers on it.

I agree with the stats, with Sayers, and Jim Brown. This is an easy decision.
    Emmitt Smith was straight A's, which is awesome.
    Barry Sanders was straight A+'s and was the class validictorian.

13. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    What a great compilation Frank.

I think one thing needs to be recognized. Barry didn't have good hands. Emmitt could catch it and block it very well.

But then again, Barry simply had to carry the Lions by himself.

He is the most exciting player I've ever seen. Barry was simply incredible. Beyond human.

14. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    First off I dont really consider what other players had to say about players very often, and this isnt going to be the exception. (Nitschke is the exception I would say as 1 pro bowl doesnt really match up with the rep)

2nd, Barry is the best college football player ever. And its not even close, it was Ruthian.

3rd, We cant compare the last 5 years because Barry pulled a Sarah Palin and quit. Brett Favre should take note.

I think its always easy for one person to only use the facts that support your argument instead of laying everything out there. So lets put out the stuff that you left out.

Barry choked in big games. Care to look up how many rushing TDs he scored in the six playoff games he was in? Don't bother I did it for you, 1. And emmitt of course played in more, 17 in fact, so how many TDs did he score rushing? 19. Great players come up big in great games, but Barry set a playoff record with 13 carries for NEGATIVE 1 yard one time in the playoffs.

Alot of people like to give credit to Emmitts teammates for making him so much better, and some hint or even come out and say that he wouldnt have been great without them. But if your a fan of football you remember that in 1993 Jerry Jones started thinking the same thing. Oh boy was he wrong. Jerry didnt want to pay Emmitt, so he went with another back Derrick Lassic. The cowboys lost the first two games and Jerry caved and paid the man (Chris Johnson are you listening?). The boys went on a 7 game winning steak and finished the season 12-4.

1993 is also significant for the fact that the boys needed to beat the Giants to secure home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Emmitt, unlike Barry, came through for them when they needed him with 168 yards rushing and 1 receiving TD. Oh and he did it on a separated shoulder!

You bring up 1996 (or at least whatever article you copied and pasted from did) so I would like to point out that this is more ammo for the curse of 370 carries. If you play fantasy football you should be familiar with this. Nevermind that Emmitt had 4 more total TDs that season than Barry.

Everyone loves the barry sanders highlights and I do as well, but they never show him losing a bunch of yards like he frequently did, and now holds the record for most lost yardage. Quite Favre like if you ask me.

15. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I go back and forth with Emmitt and Barry as far as rank goes all the time. In fact I have ranked Barry higher on here before on a top ten list.

Just curious but what does Emmitt have to do with the packers? This seems like it belongs in the Atrium section of the forum.

16. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Moved to the Atrium.

As for negative carries, it actually makes a case for him being even better.

If he was consistantly met behind the LOS, it means his OL wasn't good, and that he needed to create something out of nothing much more often than any other RB. And that he has a great YPC average, despite holding a negative yardage record... Speaks even more of him.

About choking in the playoffs. It's then when you usually face the better teams. And when the better teams are able to focus on a single player, they're able to stop him most of the times, whether a bad team wouldn't.

Besides, we're not talking about QBs here.

17. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    ivo, ur killing me.
    i took your case to the nfl draft countdown site and put it up for a poll, and you made me look like a fool with my pants on the ground.
    i knew barry was the best !

[ame=http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41599]Barry or Emmitt: Oldie but Goodie - Draft Countdown Forums[/ame]

18. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I blame ESPN, since everyone that watches them seems to think like sheep

You should run these debates by your friends and let me know how they go

Reggie White or Bruce Smith

Don Hutson or Jerry Rice

Bart Starr or Dan Marino

19. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    No one seems to remember Lomas Brown for the lions as a HOF worthy tackle.

I understand its not a QB, but great players come up big when it matters most reguardless of position, everyone from kickers to oline. Take Ray Lewis for example, I know alot of people hate him and when they see him ranked high they freak out and say "well Zach Thomas has more tackles!" or someone like that. Ok fine but if the game is on the line who do you want?
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrnDLXxVoFE&feature=related]YouTube - Ray Lewis 4th Down Game Over[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRlIEMhv-ZE]YouTube - Ray Lewis seals Playoff Win versus Titans in 2000 Playoffs.[/ame]

20. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    ESPN has nothing to do with my opinion. I watched all their games and they were rarely on ESPN.

Packer fans saw plenty of both the Lions and Cowboys. And we all saw our seasons end in Dallas so we have plenty of respect for Emmitt. But that was a great team, that beat our great Packers in the mid 90's once without Emmitt in the lineup.

103-7 is the current score with people wondering why this is even open for debate. Come try and make your case. There are 7 others who agree with you! They must be the only ones who didn't get cable in the 90's. LOL
    http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2206036&posted=1#post2206036

21. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Whos the better career running back: Emmitt Smith or Barry Sanders? - by Micah Olson - Helium

Here is a bigger group polled, with a closer score of 44%-56%.

Again I dont think polling the masses is the best way to to judge talent, especially on some sites no one has ever heard of. But if you do you should run other players I suggested in your little whose better.

22. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980