Elvis Dummervil

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes we get excited when a good player hits the market and automatically say come to Green Bay!! I think Dummervil would be an excellent compliment to Matthews and make our defense wayyy better. Say he wants about 4 mil per year for about 3 yr's?? is he worth it??

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes we get excited when a good player hits the market and automatically say come to Green Bay!! I think Dummervil would be an excellent compliment to Matthews and make our defense wayyy better. Say he wants about 4 mil per year for about 3 yr's?? is he worth it??

If there were odds on who'd start this thread, you would have been even money. :)

I'd like the move. But, he won't be cheap. He's easily going to be out of our price range.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there were odds on who'd start this thread, you would have been even money. :)

I'd like the move. But, he won't be cheap. He's easily going to be out of our price range.

Hey what can i say:cautious: after two horrible losses in the playoffs because of horrible play on the defensive side of the ball you can say i'm a little desperate to see us get some more impact players on that side of the ball. I've said it before and i'll keep saying it..this team is only a few pieces away from winning another SB.

Reaction score
I'd rather we just draft a guy to get after the QB (interior/edge guy - either) ... continue developing Perry/Neal/Daniels/Moses ... better than making another Joe Johnson mistake.
Unless it's just a cheap 1 year stop gap contract, then - idk... maybe.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought he took a pay cut to stay in denver?

Besides...other teams will want him. So Ted won't. Why do people continue to get themselves worked up about this stuff...u know it ain't happening!

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought he took a pay cut to stay in denver?

Besides...other teams will want him. So Ted won't. Why do people continue to get themselves worked up about this stuff...u know it ain't happening!

No they couldnt work it out so they released him. Guess we can sit back and watch someone else in the NFC sign him like Chicago or Detroit.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather we just draft a guy to get after the QB (interior/edge guy - either) ... continue developing Perry/Neal/Daniels/Moses ... better than making another Joe Johnson mistake.
Unless it's just a cheap 1 year stop gap contract, then - idk... maybe.

Dumerville would never get a Joe Johnson type contract. Plus, the Packers drafted a develop guy last year in Perry. He went on IR early in the year after looking lost.

H

HardRightEdge

Do you think the team is ready to throw in the towel on Perry? Not on your life. He's going to have to play himself out of a job. The interminable "bookend" discussion will have to wait at least one more year.

From what I read, Denver was prepared to pay Dumervil $18.5 mil with $11.5 mil guaranteed over the next 2 years. Your figures are way off it appears. He'll probably end up back in Denver anyway.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...s-dumervil-denver-broncos-john-elway/1990913/

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think the team is ready to throw in the towel on Perry? Not on your life. He's going to have to play himself out of a job. The interminable "bookend" discussion will have to wait at least one more year.

From what I read, Denver was prepared to pay Dumervil $18.5 mil with $11.5 mil guaranteed over the next 2 years. Your figures are way off it appears. He'll probably end up back in Denver anyway.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...s-dumervil-denver-broncos-john-elway/1990913/

"Though the parties had agreed on a deal, the odds of Dumervil returning to Denver are hampered because cutting him could leave them with a salary cap hit of up to nearly $5 million."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9057191/denver-broncos-release-elvis-dumervil-according-sources

Still not coming to Green Bay, but apparently not to Denver either.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
H

HardRightEdge

"...hampered because cutting him could leave them with a salary cap hit of up to nearly $5 million."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9057191/denver-broncos-release-elvis-dumervil-according-sources

Still not coming to Green Bay, but apparently not to Denver either.

That's sounds wrong. They can go with a clean sheet deal giving him a fresh signing bonus replacing most of the 2013 salary he would have gotten otherwise, thereby spreading out the cap hit over the term of the new deal.

They should be able to easily structure this to make cash and cap work out very similarly, year to year, to the deal that didn't make it through the fax machine.

This $5 mil they're talking about isn't some penalty...it cap $ that would have counted anyway, prorated over the term of the old deal.

Since Dumervil evidently very much wants to stay in Denver, and they evidently very much want to keep him, they can easily make this work, lay short odds he'll stay in Denver.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's sounds wrong. They can go with a clean sheet deal giving him a fresh signing bonus replacing most of the 2013 salary he would have gotten otherwise, thereby spreading out the cap hit over the term of the new deal.

They should be able to easily structure this to make cash and cap work out very similarly to the old deal for each year of the contract.

Since Dumervil evidently very much wants to stay in Denver, and they evidently very much want to keep him, they can easily make this work, lay short odds he'll stay in Denver.
He was released...that is done. Denver will have to pay the cap penalty for that regardless of what happens. Only way they could "get around that" is if Dummerville agreed to take less money in first year to accommodate that hit.

H

HardRightEdge

He was released...that is done. Denver will have to pay the cap penalty for that regardless of what happens. Only way they could "get around that" is if Dummerville agreed to take less money in first year to accommodate that hit.

It is not a penalty. It is cap $ that would have been owed anyway in future years, prorated over the remaining term of the old contract, that are accelerated into 2013.

I'm not going to lay out the old and failed contracts to come up with exact numbers, but here's the concept:

If, for example, they gave him $7 mil signing bonus, $1 mil base in 2013, ED gets his $8 mil guaranteed in the first year, but the cap hit is the old $5 mil + the $1 mil base + $2 mil prorated signing bonus (assuming a new 4 year deal). The cap hit in the failed deal and the cap hit in this example are both $8 mil in 2013. They could juggle the numbers to make it virtually equivalent year by year.

In short, they can easily make the outcomes equivalent by replacing first year salary with a new signing bonus.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I read he's purely a pass rusher...says he gets blown off ball on run plays. Not worth big money IMO.

Maybe not but we have olb's that get blown off the ball and can't rush the passer. I've watched alot of Denver games and i've never seen him get blown off the ball on a running play, he may have not made the tackle but i didn't see him get blown off the ball.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe not but we have olb's that get blown off the ball and can't rush the passer. I've watched alot of Denver games and i've never seen him get blown off the ball on a running play, he may have not made the tackle but i didn't see him get blown off the ball.
I will admit I know little of Dummerville...when I've watched he was getting pressure on the QB for sure but what do I l know about how he plays the run?

"Dumervil is a good pass rusher, but he is a liability in the run game. Big tackles maul him. But that's what you get with a smallish pass rusher."

That's from Pete Prisco. Whoever he is. I'm guessing there's some truth to this, he is undersized I know.

Whatever, doesn't matter because there is a 203.5% chance he does not sign with Green Bay. This back and forth is mute. I am just bored and wish the draft was here (since FA is so scary we don't partake, even a little! Boo!).

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is not a penalty. It is cap $ that would have been owed anyway in future years, prorated over the remaining term of the old contract, that are accelerated into 2013.

This is correct. It's what's referred to as "Dead money." In simple terms, when a team pays out a bonus, they have the option to spread the cap hit of said bonus over the term of the contract. For example, if a player signs a 5 year deal that includes a $10M signing bonus, the team can break the cap hit up into 5 $2M segments. If the player is cut after year 3, only $6M of the $10M bonus will have been realized, forcing the team to account for the remaining $4M when he's cut.

Members online

Latest posts