Eliot Wolf / John Dorsey GM threads?/ Browns - Steelers fight

H

HardRightEdge

I hope we can hang on to Russ Ball. That would be a disturbing loss.
I never got the impression Ball has been involved in personnel evaluation. He's the cap manager and contract negotiator...a numbers guy...as I understand it. That's not the background for a GM.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's hardly surprising as the Packers have been successful over Thompson's tenure as well as Schneider, Dorsey and McKenzie have a pretty decent record as general managers with their respective teams.

I really wish the could've hung on to Schneider or McKenzie. Both utilize the draft and free agency.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I never got the impression Ball has been involved in personnel evaluation. He's the cap manager and contract negotiator...a numbers guy...as I understand it. That's not the background for a GM.
I agree but was referring to him possibly being lured away by someone like Schneider, Dorsey or mcKenzie throwing a big bag of money at him. Ball is very good at what he does.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
A TT style GM is exactly what Buffalo needs. They aren't a coveted FA destination and generally have to overpay to get guys. They need someone who drafts good players and keeps them in house.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree but was referring to him possibly being lured away by someone like Schneider, Dorsey or mcKenzie throwing a big bag of money at him. Ball is very good at what he does.
McKenzie did an amazing job of tearing-down & rebuilding the Raiders... think he has great helpers already.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see any reason why Schneider, Dorsey or McKenzie would be interested in Ball years after taking over as general managers for their respective teams.

H

HardRightEdge

In case anybody is interested, the Bills GM job will be similar to Seattle's where the new head coach McDermott will have significant say on personnel in what looks like a multi-year build-through-the-draft approach. Unfortunately, that would seem to be a fit for a guy in his first GM job. Selling tickets was a motivation in the Ryan hire. It looks like the Pegulas are now concerned with winning.
Update:

The Bills have interviewed Brandon Beane twice, the only candidate so far to visit twice. He's Assistant GM with Carolina. Given his Carolina connection with the new head coach, local wags are making him the odds on favorite. There's a problem with Beane. He doesn't have much scouting experience and the Bills fired nearly all of the scouting staff so he may not be the best choice.

The other leading candidates are Brian Gaine, Director of Player Personnel with Houston, and Gutekunst.

The Bills other interviewee was Trey Brown, Director of College Scouting with Philly. His resume is pretty thin having started in New England's front office as a scouting assistant in 2010. Brown may be only a required minority interview.

Given Gutekunst has been with the Packers for the last 18 years and the Bills' scouting department has been gutted, you'd recon he'd be looking to poach a guy or two from the Packer scouting department.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
McKenzie did an amazing job of tearing-down & rebuilding the Raiders... think he has great helpers already.
Could very well be. I haven't checked out their contract numbers.

It appears to me that Dorsey could use Ball. Their numbers don't look good to me at all.

H

HardRightEdge

Could very well be. I haven't checked out their contract numbers.
McKenzie absorbed historic amounts of dead cap in his first two years. If memory serves, it was around $60 mil in one year alone. He got tore it down, got rid of the dead wood and the overpaid, and built it back up on schedule to 12-4 in the 5th. year with one of the lowest revenue franchises in the league. I think he knows his way around the cap.

H

HardRightEdge

Apparently Beane is the guy. I guess Gutenkust is safe.
I should have figured they'd go that way. The Pegulas have no clue. Good for us, I presume. You never who is pounding the table for which players.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I should have figured they'd go that way. The Pegulas have no clue. Good for us, I presume. You never who is pounding the table for which players.

This is just radio hearsay, but apparently he was the main driver behind Josh Jones.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to provide link but there are a couple of very good recent articles on Russ Ball out there. He could very well be a GM somewhere in the next couple of years.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is something to be said about the Packer Way. That was ugly, REAL ugly tonight.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There is something to be said about the Packer Way. That was ugly, REAL ugly tonight.

I am guessing you are referring to this? Myles Garrett shouldn't play again this season. I also could see a scenario where he could be charged with aggravated assault.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what do you think is going to happen when you assemble a team like that? Bunch of **** heads

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
65 is a big tough guy too, take a cheap shot at a QB standing there with his arms out after your big bad man rips his helmet off and cracks him over the head with it. A year is too lenient.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
what do you think is going to happen when you assemble a team like that? Bunch of **** heads
Fully agree. My Mothers side of the family are all Buckeye and Browns fan. So for the last 8 or so months I have been listening to this "Dorsey has built a dynasty in Cleveland, they are the next Patriots!". No, actually, Cleveland has assembled a bunch of thugs and castoffs that other teams didn't want and there is a reason why they didn't want them. Now I don't know if that culture has rubbed off on players like Garrett, but that incident last night sure looked like he had been training with his new teammate Kareem Hunt! Sad too, because Garrett is one talented dude!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Somewhere Charles Martin is smiling, he is no longer the #1 Thug to have played in the NFL!

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
At the top of the organizational hierarchy of the Browns is one of the league's biggest dirt bags.

John Dorsey is a piece of ****. And he collects other pieces of ****. He gets lauded for being such a great talent evaluator, but in reality he is just eager and willing to snatch up all the thugs, slimeballs, divas, and clowns that other organizations have let go or passed on.

The result is a glitzy roster that receives lots of fawning attention in the offseason, but lacks the discipline and character to win.

May the John Dorsey led Browns never win another game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts