Eliot Wolf / John Dorsey GM threads?/ Browns - Steelers fight

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
All this banter makes me wonder how things are going to end for Thompson if he isn't the GM through the end of his contract.

I think it's unlikely that Murphy would flat out fire him. I can definitely see Thompson cutting it off short though. I sometimes wonder how he can enjoy his job. I hope he is completely oblivious to the white noise.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eliot wolf should be the choice if the packers have the option. who will have the longevity and its wolf at 34 years of age. Should be a no brainer.

Why, all you have said is its a no brainer because he is young and his name is Wolf. If his last name was anything but Wolf he would have been gone 2 years ago, assuming the reason why other teams want him isn't because his name is Wolf, and we wouldn't have cared one bit.

Not sure either. The Chiefs refused the 49ers interview request of Dorsey's understudy Chris Ballard. Reportedly he was their guy. Would seem the Chiefs want him around...just in case?

I don't know. To me, the Dorsey thing seems more plausible than the Wolf one. But either way I'd say the most likely scenario is Ted finishes his contract, and someone else takes over. We will see.

If I understand correctly Teds contract runs through the 2018 draft. Because of this I fully expect him to be the one calling the shots during the 2017 draft but I could see him stepping aside anytime after if he truly intends to retire and the Packers have the right guy lined up. Any GM coming in would want to be drafting his players as soon as possible and taking over right after another GM loads the team with his own picks would not be the best way to do it IMO. If Ted knows he will not stay on as GM after his deal is up I believe he would do the decent thing and let the new GM, whoever it might be, take over.

If Ted truly intends to retire after his contract ends in 2018 this is what I would like to see him do. Draft your guys this coming April, see your team through the off season and training camp, then step aside and give the new guy a season to evaluate the players you brought in and start building his team with the draft in 2018. Of course if the new guy is in house the timing isn't as critical.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am slightly baffled at the insistence that the team can't afford to lose Wolf. Historically speaking, the Packers have been WAY more successful when bringing a guy in from a different team. Just hope the Packers get the best guy available, I don't care if he's already with the organization or not.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why, all you have said is its a no brainer because he is young and his name is Wolf. If his last name was anything but Wolf he would have been gone 2 years ago, assuming the reason why other teams want him isn't because his name is Wolf, and we wouldn't have cared one bit.
13 seasons with the packers and hes only 34, yes his last name carries weight its just what it is. Hes modern meaning he has the youth to grow with the organization hes already director of football operations and your talking like its a meaningless job i think its very important. Hes pretty much doing everything that TT doesnt want to do like the leg work. pretty much hes already in the trenches.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no evidence to support your claim. As an example Aqib Talib was traded for a fourth rounder.

BTW I would have been fine with giving up a first rounder for a shutdown cornerback still under contract for several seasons after this one as the Packers will have to find one next offseason.

Are there any reports of decent CBs being shopped by teams? Anyone on the trade block. Talib was running out of time on his rookie contract and he had turned into something of a locker room problem as I recall. The possibility of a trade is speculative unless a team is explicitly offering someone. Besides look at the NFL trade deadline and look at the schedule, our secondary's worst performances came after the trade deadline had already passed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Besides look at the NFL trade deadline and look at the schedule, our secondary's worst performances came after the trade deadline had already passed.

That should actually support the idea that the Packers should have traded for a veteran cornerback before the trade deadline passed, don´t you think???

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That should actually support the idea that the Packers should have traded for a veteran cornerback before the trade deadline passed, don´t you think???

One of Thompson's consistent tendencies, he genuinely seems to believe in the players on his roster. Sometimes this works out and sometimes it doesn't. I'll grant you that this season it would seem that TTs faith in our backup corners has generally been misplaced. BUT, that a trade could have been swung to acquire a CB who was better than what we had is highly speculative.

D

Deleted member 6794

One of Thompson's consistent tendencies, he genuinely seems to believe in the players on his roster. Sometimes this works out and sometimes it doesn't. I'll grant you that this season it would seem that TTs faith in our backup corners has generally been misplaced. BUT, that a trade could have been swung to acquire a CB who was better than what we had is highly speculative.

As I´ve mentioned several times before I guarantee the Patriots would have found a way to upgrade the position.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I´ve mentioned several times before I guarantee the Patriots would have found a way to upgrade the position.

I can't help but think of this every time someone guarantees something.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

Eliot Wolf and Brian Gutekunst will both get a second interview with the Niners for their vacant GM job.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of coaches have been walking away from the vacant coaching job. I would walk away as the GM if the owner was simultaneously interviewing the coaches. It's not the type of management structure that I would want as a GM. For their sake and the Packers, I hope that neither Brian nor Eliot takes the job.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta wonder if either of them really wants to take the job when they are hiring a coach before a GM. Most GM's want to come in and either review the current HC job or in this case hire their own HC.

D

Deleted member 6794

Gotta wonder if either of them really wants to take the job when they are hiring a coach before a GM. Most GM's want to come in and either review the current HC job or in this case hire their own HC.

It's possible the remaining candidates for the Niners GM job are fine with them hiring Kyle Shanahan as head coach.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Patriots have not been good at pass rushing this season and that's against an instantly easy offensive schedule.

How come they didn't find a way to upgrade their pass rushers?

Also, trading for someone requires a partner, which is in no way a guarantee.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Patriots have not been good at pass rushing this season and that's against an instantly easy offensive schedule.

How come they didn't find a way to upgrade their pass rushers?

Also, trading for someone requires a partner, which is in no way a guarantee.

The Patriots managed to finish the season leading the league in points allowed. I´m not sure their defense is a great example for you trying to prove a point.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots managed to finish the season leading the league in points allowed. I´m not sure their defense is a great example for you trying to prove a point.

That doesn't change the fact they don't have good pass rushers and didn't upgrade the position.

Either way, trades are clearly not easy to pull off. There's a reason big trades don't happen often in the NFL.

For all we know TT was looking for a trade and couldn't find a good one.

D

Deleted member 6794

That doesn't change the fact they don't have good pass rushers and didn't upgrade the position.

Trust me, if the Packers would have finished the season leading the league in points allowed no reasonable fan would criticize Thompson for not upgrading the cornerback position during the season. Unfortunately ranking 21st doesn´t result in the general manager getting a pass.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can agree with that statement. The big thing about trades of course, is what are you taking away from your team in order to upgrade at another position?

I'm not sure that we were flush with quality players at any position except for possibly WR where a team would have traded us a CB worth his salt.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can agree with that statement. The big thing about trades of course, is what are you taking away from your team in order to upgrade at another position?

I'm not sure that we were flush with quality players at any position except for possibly WR where a team would have traded us a CB worth his salt.

Thompson could have traded a draft pick for a veteran cornerback.

D

Deleted member 6794

Draft picks are like Thompsons children. To get a decent CB via trade he would have had to probably trade a 3-4 round pick or higher. No way he gives up one of his favorite kids!

Thompson could have even traded for a rental player whose contract expired at the end of the season, possibly receiving a compensatory pick by letting him walk away in free agency. In addition I´m quite sure an upgrade at cornerback would have drastically improved the team´s chances to win a Super Bowl this season compared to a mid-round pick in next year´s draft.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson could have traded a draft pick for a veteran cornerback.

Nope, Teddy needs his draft picks so he can hit on some unknown from Idaho State that he takes in the second round! that no one ever heard of!! It'll be some undersized DE they end up changing to OLB :)

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson could have even traded for a rental player whose contract expired at the end of the season, possibly receiving a compensatory pick by letting him walk away in free agency. In addition I´m quite sure an upgrade at cornerback would have drastically improved the team´s chances to win a Super Bowl this season compared to a mid-round pick in next year´s draft.

I completely agree with you and that is one of the frustrating things about Thompson. He is always about building for the future instead of for right NOW!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts