Eliot Wolf / John Dorsey GM threads?/ Browns - Steelers fight

D

Deleted member 6794

which leads me to the question, do you believe he wasn't looking? I think he was. I think he's always working, even when the rest of us are sleeping or complaining about how he doesn't do certain things. I never for a second think that Ted does not look for ways to make this team better. We don't know what he does. Case and point, Julius Peppers. Who had that on their radar? Josh sitton being cut, who sniffed that one out? he's traded for guys like Grant, brought in off other teams scraps like Williams, pulled in UDFA's like Shields. He's always looking.

The difference being, they believe in their work, they stick to their plan. Just because Player X may be available for a price doesn't mean the price fits and the benefit make it worth it. I would love a shut down corner, wouldn't have minded trading for one. But i'm more like Thompson, I'll believe in the guys we have that i've already put the work in on, because I trust my work, rather than over pay for what someone else is willing to get rid of. Competing teams aren't trading away good players and the non-contenders are looking for a lot of draft picks to rebuild with. It takes a special situation to trade for a guy like that, in season, for anything other than a tremendous price. usually that entails taking on a huge contract, taking on a player that is not fitting in the locker room, or giving up a lot in terms of draft picks

As I've mentioned before I don't care if Thompson was looking to improve the cornerback position before the trade deadline as the only thing that is important is that he didn't upgrade it. Once again, I guarantee that wouldn't have happened to the Patriots.

It's true that it's tough to trade for an impact cornerback during the season but that's the reason TT is getting paid several millions a year to work out deals like that. Unfortunately he's mostly done the work of a superb college scout.

BTW with Shields most likely being done the Packers could have afforded to pick up a cornerback with a huge contract for another few years or made up for the lost draft selection by acquiring a compensation pick for a player with an expiring contract.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will get a very good gm or at least a highly coveted one when TT steps down for numerous reasons
1. Aaron Rodgers.
2. Young talent locked up at solid deals in Bahk and Daniels.
3. Cap situation is good.
4. Aaron Rodgers
5. High profile job
6. Aaron rodgers

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roseman and Pace haven't been successful though with the Eagles not winning a playoff game over the last seven years despite assembling a dream team and the Bears going a combined 9-23 since 2015.

As I've mentioned repeatedly I don't know who was available before the trade deadline, that's Thompson's job to figure out. The Packers didn't necessarily had to acquire a shutdown corner as a decent veteran would have presented a tremendous upgrade.
Howie Roseman's record over his 5 yrs. at GM (2010-2014) was 42-38 with 2 playoff appearances. His fault was that he was TOO aggressive and constantly churning the roster. http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...e_and_fall_of_Howie_Roseman_as_Eagles_GM.html

Pace has only had GM control for 2 years and began his run with a severe lack of talent AND handcuffed by a horrible Cutler contract tying him to the team (for cap reasons) for at least 2 years. Pace also has been very aggressive jettisoning higher priced (or discontent) players and signing/trading for replacements. The Bears are still at least one year away from competing with the other NFC North teams but he's got some core players locked-up while he finds others (Safeties, QB, OL's).

Main point, being young doesn't mean you're not capable or qualified to GM a team. Of those mentioned in the GB "pipeline" I like Wolf the best as a TT replacement.

D

Deleted member 6794

Main point, being young doesn't mean you're not capable or qualified to GM a team. Of those mentioned in the GB "pipeline" I like Wolf the best as a TT replacement.

I agree that being young doesn't mean not being capable of becoming a great general manager in the NFL but it doesn't guarantee having success either.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a link to an article on NFL.com.

The bulk of the Chiefs starters and pro Bowlers have been selected during the past 4 years under Dorsey. Kelce, Peters, and Hill, All-Pros and some of the top position players in the league, and promising players such as Dee Ford and Chris Jones show massive potential and have all been drafted during his regime. Maclin and Schwartz (another All-Pro) are very good players brought in via FA, in addition to Alex Smith.

I think it's time for a GM to take the team to the next level like he clearly has done in KC.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...n-dorsey-emerges-as-a-potential-packers-chief

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a scout in the 90s, and director of college scouting between 1997-2011 (he was a director of player personnel in 1999 for Seattle) and director of football operations in 2012.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure why Dorsey wouldn't see through what he built in KC.
Not sure either. The Chiefs refused the 49ers interview request of Dorsey's understudy Chris Ballard. Reportedly he was their guy. Would seem the Chiefs want him around...just in case?

I don't know. To me, the Dorsey thing seems more plausible than the Wolf one. But either way I'd say the most likely scenario is Ted finishes his contract, and someone else takes over. We will see.

Last edited:

Sky King

Reaction score
Dorsey has more practical experience and apples to apples seasoning which has to be considered a major advantage. If his boys returned back to GB after college then he may want to return to GB, too. Having his (future) grandkids living nearby may be attractive to him. It would be a difference maker for a lot of people, me included. He returned to Green Bay once before just so he could be near his boys.

Whenever TT retires it appears that the list of potential candidates to fill the GM position promises to be a good one. It will happen one of these years, be it Wolf, Dorsey, Ball or somebody else.

Also, if the Chiefs refused an interview with Dorsey's understudy then maybe they're looking ahead themselves.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eliot wolf should be the choice if the packers have the option. who will have the longevity and its wolf at 34 years of age. Should be a no brainer.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eliot wolf should be the choice if the packers have the option. who will have the longevity and its wolf at 34 years of age. Should be a no brainer.
lol if that is the criteria that makes this a no brainer .... why get somebody as old as Wolf?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't buy the John Dorsey "news." It's just agents placing rumors in the news to help with negotiations.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"I can't name names, but let's just say that there's a senior citizen's community in a southern state that's in the market for a hockey team."

Members online

Latest posts