Edit: Dwight signs with the vikings

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Dwight Smith

His agent being Rosenhaus and nobody biting in a trade throws up some major red flags. I would think the Saints would of accepted something like a low draft pick so they benefit a little bit instead of getting nothing when cutting them, but apparently there were no takers. Also Nick Collins is on track to being amazing. If Smith was a Strong Safety I would be for them going after him, but not a free safety with rosenhaus that nobody was willing to trade for.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, I think Dwight Smith came either second or third in the Rookie of the Year that year. Another Cub, Jerome Walton was Rookie of the Year.

But I think Dwight is probably too slow to play in the NFL now.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't see safety as a great need anymore and I do not think Rosenhaus is an agent I want to deal with. If he has a good year he will want to hold out like his other clients.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Safety will be ok I think...does anyone else foresee Woodson moving to safety at some point especially if (gulp) Carroll comes into his own?

OK, trom, let me have it... :)

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I see Woodson playing all over the secondary to create a bunch of matchup problems....he is so physical in the middle of the field you want him there at times. I am not a big fan of Carroll's immaturity, but...he did make some big strides last year...he has the potential to be a decent player for us, hopefully this year.

I guess I ask you this....what were YOU like at 21? Now, add millions of dollars and fawning adulation....jesus....that would have spelled T-R-O-U-B-L-E for me. I am hoping this is the year he grows to his vast potential.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

digsthepack said:
I see Woodson playing all over the secondary to create a bunch of matchup problems....he is so physical in the middle of the field you want him there at times. I am not a big fan of Carroll's immaturity, but...he did make some big strides last year...he has the potential to be a decent player for us, hopefully this year.

I guess I ask you this....what were YOU like at 21? Now, add millions of dollars and fawning adulation....jesus....that would have spelled T-R-O-U-B-L-E for me. I am hoping this is the year he grows to his vast potential.

Exactly digs, I'm not one who is always bashing Carroll...in fact, I've seen him play pretty damn well at times. Remembering that he would just now be finishing college or whatever, he may still be a very good player. I was just wondering with Woodson's physical nature and age factor; is it possible to see him in the secondary as a safety.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think Nick Collins is too talented to sideline very much. Maybe put Woodson in at Strong Safety on passing downs but keep Collins in as much as possible. It would hurt Collins development if he wasn't getting the reps he needs.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings may host free agent S Dwight Smith (Saints) as early as Monday, July 24. Smith has a strong relationship with Vikings defense coordinator Mike Tomlin when the two were with Tampa Bay. As previously noted, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers reportedly also are interested in signing Smith, who also can play at nickel back in their cover-2 defense.

Is it me or does it seem like the vikings try and get every free agent?

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackerLegend said:
Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings may host free agent S Dwight Smith (Saints) as early as Monday, July 24. Smith has a strong relationship with Vikings defense coordinator Mike Tomlin when the two were with Tampa Bay. As previously noted, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers reportedly also are interested in signing Smith, who also can play at nickel back in their cover-2 defense.

Is it me or does it seem like the vikings try and get every free agent?

no its not just you. They sign a bunch of free agents, hype them up to be immediate impact players, and when they don't produce, they release them. It's the Viking Way haha

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Maybe, I don't think he would fit in though. He wants to start, and we already have Manuel and Collins. These two safeties will develop into a great tandem. We just have to let them develop and work together.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PF43084,

Actually last year the Queens free agents were the highlight of their team. It was their vets and rookies that screwed the pooch.

Last year the Queens added:

Sharper
Brad Johnson
Koren Robinson
Pat Williams
Chris Kluwe

They all did really well. Even Smoot played above par, just poorly for Smoot standards.

Vets/Rookies ******** the pooch:
Kevin Willams
Daunte Chokepepper
Any of the LBs
Udeze - hurt
Birk - hurt
Rest of their O Line choked.

I personally would like to see us get Dwight Smith. I read a little of the Saints ESPN board and for the most part they are p*ssed the Aints let him go.

He is fairly young 26/27 and versatile. We could definitely use a guy like that. We may have great starters in the secondary, what we are thin on is the bench if one of them goes down.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Minnesota Vikings have reached a three-year, $6.5 million deal with free agent FS Dwight Smith (Saints). He didn't receive a signing bonus as part of the contract, but he will be paid the $1.2 million he was scheduled to earn with the New Orleans Saints. Smith will receive a $615,000 roster bonus and $585,000 base salary. In 2007, he'll receive a $100,000 workout bonus, a $500,000 roster bonus and a $1.6 million base salary. In 2008, he'll have a $2.5 million base salary, $100,000 workout bonus and $500,000 roster bonus.

V

Vikeman

Dwight Smith took less money to sign with the Vikes. He wants to be with Tomlin (his old coach) and a team which might go far withen the next few years.

Members online

Latest posts