Eddie Lee Ivery

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The past few weeks I have been watching Packer games involving my favorite player from the early 80’s, Eddie Lee Ivery. I will say this, when healthy, he was a fabulous player and is so underrated in Packer history it’s ridiculous. He could run through tackles, always fought for extra yards, had a nose for the goal line, could make people miss, had some real explosion when a hole opened up, was a very good blocker, and as far as catching the football, he was more then good! When healthy, and as a true all around back, no back I‘ve watched going back to the early 70’s was any better that have worn the green and gold - no one.

And boy oh boy, would he thrive in today’s game with his skill set.

What could have been

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the Packers first drafted Eddie Lee he had great explosion through the line. It's too bad he had two serious knee injuries that slowed him down. He could've been a great player on the ring of honor were it not for those injuries.

Reaction score
The past few weeks I have been watching Packer games involving my favorite player from the early 80’s, Eddie Lee Ivery. I will say this, when healthy, he was a fabulous player and is so underrated in Packer history it’s ridiculous. He could run through tackles, always fought for extra yards, had a nose for the goal line, could make people miss, had some real explosion when a hole opened up, was a very good blocker, and as far as catching the football, he was more then good! When healthy, and as a true all around back, no back I‘ve watched going back to the early 70’s was any better that have worn the green and gold - no one.

What could have been
Great player. I’m just old enough to remember him well and actually had his TOPS football card.

This is a tough one because Eddie Lee was a really good player. I’d have to respectfully disagree with no one being comparable as a well rounded RB since his time.

In the 2003 season, our own Ahman Green racked up 2,250 all purpose yards and was 21 yards from scrimmage total short of prime Jamal Lewis (2271) However what got overshadowed was that Green was exceeded by Jamal’s 2000+ season
+ Priest Homes 27 TD’s.
1. Green (5.6) had more yards per touch than Jamal Lewis (5.5)
2. Green (121) had more 1st Downs than Jamal Lewis (95)
3. Green had more TD’s (20) than Lewis (14)
4. Green (83.3%) had a better catch% than Lewis (68.4%)
5. Green (7) had less fumbles than Lewis (8)
6. Green (50) had more Receptions than Lewis (26)
7. Green (98) had a longer Run than Jamaal (82)

What’s most amazing to me is that Ahman Green did all that with just 8 less total touches for the season 405 vs 413. Ahman Green was partly overlooked because he was a more evenly distributed RB, thus fell shy of the notable 2,000 rushing mark.

As far as blocking? These were some remarks about Green later in his career (as he was winding down) that speak to his ability as a blocker.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The past few weeks I have been watching Packer games involving my favorite player from the early 80’s, Eddie Lee Ivery. I will say this, when healthy, he was a fabulous player andA is so underrated in Packer history it’s ridiculous. He could run through tackles, always fought for extra yards, had a nose for the goal line, could make people miss, had some real explosion when a hole opened up, was a very good blocker, and as far as catching the football, he was more then good! When healthy, and as a true all around back, no back I‘ve watched going back to the early 70’s was any better that have worn the green and gold - no one.

What could have been
A ramblin wreck from Georgia Tech.

D

Deleted member 6794

What could have been

Unfortunately Ivery wasn't able to stay healthy. He had more than 200 touches only once in his career and ended up missing more than 40% of the games in his career.

OP
OP
Big L

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great player. I’m just old enough to remember him well and actually had his TOPS football card.

This is a tough one because Eddie Lee was a really good player. I’d have to respectfully disagree with no one being comparable as a well rounded RB since his time.

In the 2003 season, our own Ahman Green racked up 2,250 all purpose yards and was 21 yards from scrimmage total short of prime Jamal Lewis (2271) However what got overshadowed was that Green was exceeded by Jamal’s 2000+ season
+ Priest Homes 27 TD’s.
1. Green (5.6) had more yards per touch than Jamal Lewis (5.5)
2. Green (121) had more 1st Downs than Jamal Lewis (95)
3. Green had more TD’s (20) than Lewis (14)
4. Green (83.3%) had a better catch% than Lewis (68.4%)
5. Green (7) had less fumbles than Lewis (8)
6. Green (50) had more Receptions than Lewis (26)
7. Green (98) had a longer Run than Jamaal (82)
8. Green had 5.6 per Touch vs Jamal’s 5.5 per.

What’s most amazing to me is that Ahman Green did all that with just 8 less total touches for the season 405 vs 413. Ahman Green was partly overlooked because he was a more evenly distributed RB, thus fell shy of the notable 2,000 rushing mark.

As far as blocking? These were some remarks about Green later in his career (as he was winding down) that speak to his ability as a blocker.

Can’t say that I totally disagree, but even when healthy 40 never got those touches and played behind a much inferior offensive line. As good as AG was, all things being equal, I would take ELI. I spent many hours in Lambeau Field during NFL draft time in the mid to late 90’s, and I will never forget something Lee R. said - The organization thought that Eddie Lee Ivery was the most talented back they had seen since Gale Sayers and OJ Simpson and those thoughts were backed up in training camp his rookie year. Even after his injuries, and when he was healthy, there were many regrets after the fact, that he was then underutilized for protection purposes.

OP
OP
Big L

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for taking part in the conversation everyone. It makes me feel good and takes me back to talk about Eddie Lee, as a young teen, he was my number 1!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember him, and I believe at one time he was paired with Gerry Ellis for a pretty dynamic backfield.

What could have been, if not for injuries...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What could have been
He was definitely exciting to watch. It is unfortunate that a lot if those players just played for teams that were .500 or less.

Reaction score
Can’t say that I totally disagree, but even when healthy 40 never got those touches and played behind a much inferior offensive line. As good as AG was, all things being equal, I would take ELI. I spent many hours in Lambeau Field during NFL draft time in the mid to late 90’s, and I will never forget something Lee R. said - The organization thought that Eddie Lee Ivery was the most talented back they had seen since Gale Sayers and OJ Simpson and those thoughts were backed up in training camp his rookie year. Even after his injuries, and when he was healthy, there were many regrets after the fact, that he was then underutilized for protection purposes.
Yes. It was a different era and shorter season also. Loved that guy and he a household name like Lynn ****ey etc..

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. It was a different era and shorter season also. Loved that guy and he a household name like Lynn ****ey etc..
Those Packer teams were much differently managed both on and off the field than in the last 30 years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Those Packer teams were much differently managed both on and off the field than in three last 30 years.
Yes. He’s right though on it’s hard to compare a more modern RB to someone like Eddie Lee Ivory or another guy we might remember, our own John Brockington.
Do you know Brockington was the first NFL player to rush for 1,000 in his first 3 seasons? I didn’t know that until now by accident (as I was researching Eddie Lee)

Those guys were tough back then. I think I remember stories about guys playing on broken legs. :whistling:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big L

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. He’s right though on it’s hard to compare a more modern RB to someone like Eddie Lee Ivory or another guy we might remember, our own John Brockington.
Do you know Brockington was the first NFL player to rush for 1,000 in his first 3 seasons? I didn’t know that until now by accident (as I was researching Eddie Lee)

Those guys were tough back then. I think I remember stories about guys playing on broken legs. :whistling:
I did see Brockington and knew about the 3 straight 1000 yard seasons. Then a bunch of off field issues caused his demise. He was tough as nails and ran with reckless abandon. I would say a comparison to a current Packer back - is realistic - lol. Brockington ran slightly bent over with forward lean, and had such high leg lift with every step. About as good as it get over a three year period .

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brockington ran behind a great o line his first three years. I think some of his demise as a runner had a lot to do with the doldrums that the offense fell into.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Brockington ran behind a great o line his first three years. I think some of his demise as a runner had a lot to do with the doldrums that the offense fell into.
JB was such a hard runner with power. I recall him paralyzing a defensive back, possibly an Oiler, with a collision that he stepped out of. Don't recall the after effects to the player but it was serious with mid 70's medical tech.

Reaction score
JB was such a hard runner with power. I recall him paralyzing a defensive back, possibly an Oiler, with a collision that he stepped out of. Don't recall the after effects to the player but it was serious with mid 70's medical tech.
Sorry to hijack your thread @Big L but I came across this interview with another predecessor.
Talk about a devoted Packer fan that shows up big time. This Lady friend should get a NFL Fan HOF award.

Here is a a vid about Eddie Lee Ivery also

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was good but not necessarily that great. Certainly not the front of the Lombardi era. He did a lot of that on his own. Now he did have a great line at Ohio State. It is natural to imagine what he could have done if we had a QB and a passing game to complement his skills.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting thread.

I remember watching Eddie Lee Ivery's first game against the Bears in 1979. He promptly blew out his knee, which ended his season. There was a lot of hype about him then (as was common with any RB taken in the first round) so people were really looking forward to the opener. I felt like a kid at Christmas who had his toys taken away after only 15 minutes of play.

Doing a little research after seeing this thread, I see the Packers drafted Steve Atkins, another RB, in the second round of the 1979 draft (the same draft as Ivery)*. So the Packers spent their first two picks of '79 on RB's when they were coming off of Terdell Middleton's breakout 1978 season (1,116 yards) in only his second year.

Very weird. But then the Packers had a lot of odd draft picks in the 1970's.

*and Joe Montana was drafted by the 49ers in the 3rd round!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting thread.

I remember watching Eddie Lee Ivery's first game against the Bears in 1979. He promptly blew out his knee, which ended his season. There was a lot of hype about him then (as was common with any RB taken in the first round) so people were really looking forward to the opener. I felt like a kid at Christmas who had his toys taken away after only 15 minutes of play.

Doing a little research after seeing this thread, I see the Packers drafted Steve Atkins, another RB, in the second round of the 1979 draft (the same draft as Ivery)*. So the Packers spent their first two picks of '79 on RB's when they were coming off of Terdell Middleton's breakout 1978 season (1,116 yards) in only his second year.

Very weird. But then the Packers had a lot of odd draft picks in the 1970's.

*and Joe Montana was drafted by the 49ers in the 3rd round!
Bart Starr had a ton of bad luck as a coach. I felt for him.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to happen a lot to bad teams. High hope draftees/FAs get taken out by injury early. Hard to tell if it's bad team/FO or just bad luck.

He coached for 10 years and never won more than 8 games. I'd say it was more than bad luck.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
He coached for 10 years and never won more than 8 games. I'd say it was more than bad luck.
I was speaking about bad teams in general. Starr was not qualified to be a head coach and by the time he learned how to be one there was too much culture of sucking to overcome.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts