Eddie Lacy vs Johnathan Franklin

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Career-wise, injuries or lack of them will determine who does best. I would go with Lacy. I have a hunch that vaunted 'Bama O Line got a lot of its reputation by having Ingram, Richardson, and Lacy running the ball - not vice versa.

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're two totally different backs. Franklin will hit the outside while Lacy pounds inside, really excited about our run game this year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The good news for the Packers and Packers fans is it isn't Lacy vs. Franklin, its Lacy and Franklin. If everyone is healthy and both match expectations I would expect Lacy to get most of the snaps on first and second down and Franklin to get most of the third down back-type snaps. Harris would be the #1 backup and what I am hoping for is Kuhn gets waived and the winner of the competition between Green, Starks, and Pease (UDFA) sticks as the #4 RB.

The passing game will still be more important and even if Lacy is healthy and runs as he did last season, the Packers won't be a power running team. I do think there's a good chance the Packers will be even more of a precision passing team (less vertical) and more balanced on offense. I think McCarthy has trouble being disciplined in calling a certain percentage of running plays. And we fans just don't know how often Rodgers has audibled from run to pass, or visa versa. I'm hoping this infusion of talent at RB will change both McCarthy's reluctance to stick with the running game and influence Rodgers' decision making at the LOS.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to worry too much about it right now. We will see who we want during the preseason. I love the new depth chart at RB regardless, but being realistic, we had better just hope the running game goes from awful to average for now. Expecting an elite rushing game this year is being highly optimistic, and very unlikely. What I am hoping for is a solid 1,400+ rushing yards total from the RB position regardless of who runs it. If the running game is respected, we will be hard to beat.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'm not going to worry too much about it right now. We will see who we want during the preseason. I love the new depth chart at RB regardless, but being realistic, we had better just hope the running game goes from awful to average for now. Expecting an elite rushing game this year is being highly optimistic, and very unlikely. What I am hoping for is a solid 1,400+ rushing yards total from the RB position regardless of who runs it. If the running game is respected, we will be hard to beat.
If Barclay wins RT, our OL will be VERY run geared.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take Cobb off of kick return/punt return duties and give Harris a shot at it....and he could be a viable option as a #3 RB. That way we give our good WR less of a chance of getting killed out there. I think Harris would be a homerun threat at KR/PR, more so than Cobb.

100% Yes. The last thing I want to see is Cobb getting his block knocked off on a 5 yard punt return.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that it is a long ways out, but I have a feeling that we will have our first 100-yrd rushing/game in a LONG time this season. 1,000 yards rushing/season within 3 seasons.

I know that we will split time between Franklin and Lacy but I would love to finally have a full-time feature back to compliment our excellent passing game. They are two different types of back, but maybe Lacy can turn into an edge runner or vice versa?

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are the chances we run Eddie Lacy at fullback for Franklin or others on some downs?

What are the chances Kuhn doesn't make the roster?

He'll be set to make 2.6 million at age 30.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
What are the chances we run Eddie Lacy at fullback for Franklin or others on some downs?

With how many FB we invited to minicamp? Slim to none on both.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget about the Little MAN!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

In his limited action late in the regular season, he averaged 4.6 per carry with a couple of nice touchdowns.
And in the playoff loss to the 49ers, he was a bright spot with 53 yards on just 11 carries, and the touchdown. If I remember correctly, he only got the ball one time after halftime, which is a problem McCarthy has been known to have on occasion.

He will be a factor again this year for certain. It's just nice for us that he might now be our 3rd best RB when we ended the season with him being the best we got.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score

I don't see Lacy lining up at FB. If Kuhn doesn't make the roster (and I hope he doesn't) I think it's more likely a TE lines up in the traditional FB spot. That's not to say they won't run some two back formations but I don't think they will use Lacy as a lead blocker.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Don't forget about the Little MAN!

In his limited action late in the regular season, he averaged 4.6 per carry with a couple of nice touchdowns.
And in the playoff loss to the 49ers, he was a bright spot with 53 yards on just 11 carries, and the touchdown. If I remember correctly, he only got the ball one time after halftime, which is a problem McCarthy has been known to have on occasion.

He will be a factor again this year for certain. It's just nice for us that he might now be our 3rd best RB when we ended the season with him being the best we got.
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/1066/cerberuso.jpg

UDFA Pease has turned some heads, and seems to be a good PS candidate.

IMO we keep either Green or Kuhn, but not both. No way we toss both until rooks get a lot of good reps in, unless somebody turns out to be miraculous in camp.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts