Eddie Lacy - 100 Yards this Week?

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How's it going guys - it's been a while since I've posted on the forums.

Well, it's been a very interesting start to this season to say the least, especially in the running backs department. First we see James Starks break the streak of consectuative games without a 100+ yard rusher. Then, against a tough Bengals defense, the youngster Johnathan Franklin runs for over 100+ yards.

Who would have thought that by the end of the first month of football, the Packers would be leading the league in 100+ yard rushers, as they are the only team to have two on one team to do it. And let me remind you, Eddie Lacy was not one of the two.

With that said, would we like to make bold predictions? Let me pose this question. Does Eddie Lacy run for over 100 yards against an aggressive front four that the Lions will have on the field at Lambeau field this Sunday?

If I had to answer the question, I would say no. He's coming off a concussion. I sense that Mike McCarthy will run Lacy a good 15 times in this one and let Franklin take the rest of the workload.

Thoughts?

(And if Lacy does happen to run for over 100+ yards this weekend, is there some kind of record held by any team that has had 3 different consecutive 100+ yard rushers in a season? If someone could find out, that would be awesome.)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that you hit the target in that McCarthy will have Lacy on a pitch count. Especially with his style of running and the boy named Suh making the hits, I would send Lacy into the pile too many times either. I think that what will work best is giving the Lions a taste of their own medicine. We'll be chasing Reggie Bush on those screens all day, and I think/hope that we will get Franklin catching passes out of the backfield as well. That is the main way to slow down their tremendous D-line. In McCarthy's press conference today, he stated that Franklin was looking surprisingly good for coming off of an injury.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Boy, am I with you El, I am continually astounded that with our "athletic" OL that we're not screening the livin' hell out of these defenses that pin their ears back and come right after #12. I would think that these d-lines wouldn't even see it coming - they'd think that it was just natural that they'd be able to shoot into the Pack's backfield.

Reaction score
(And if Lacy does happen to run for over 100+ yards this weekend, is there some kind of record held by any team that has had 3 different consecutive 100+ yard rushers in a season? If someone could find out, that would be awesome.)
Lacy this week and Kuhn next week. Please make it happen :notworthy:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think Franklin has a better chance this week. Suh and Fairley are playing amazingly well so far this year but the Lions are giving up an average of over seven yards per carry to runs outside the tackles. That tells me that Franklin may be a little more productive (though I still expect the Packers to pound away with lacy)

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy will rush for 230 yards with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Then the Packers face a critical 4th down call on the Lions 38 with the score tied at 38. Mike pulls Lacy bringing in Franklin. Franklin plows straight ahead on the play. Deja vu all over again as Yogi says.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with using the screens. That will slow down the pass rush. I remember they would even line up Cobb in the backfield. If rodgers is getting pressured dump it to Cobb. That boy can make a lot when he is in the open field. That will only allow Rodgers more time to find the open guy. Seems like we are playing scared to get hurt on offense

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Lacy could have a big game this weekend. Lions run defense is nothing special so Lacy should have room. Plus the better Lacy does, the better the play action works.

Shanghai Pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with you on the idea of Lacy being effective but limited in his first game back. Something around 70 yrds on like 15 carries would be awesome and seems doable if the Lions scheme mostly for the pass. I do think though we'll gain over 100 yrds total on the ground though in conjunction with Lacy and Franklin, and Rodgers. I might be wrong about this, but my memory of the past few seasons of Lions games have featured a decent number of long Rodgers scrambles.

I think our running attack this season has been the single most exciting/positive thing for the Packers this year so far. Having the 100 yrd days is nice, but more important than the total volume is how efficient we've been in getting there (i.e. it's better to get to 100 yrds on 10 carries then 30). Currently the Packers have 5.3 Yards Per Carry, second in the league behind the Eagles, and only one of three teams with a YPC above 5.0. That's really impressive to me and incredibly surprising as I really didn't think our o-line had it in them. And then when you consider that it's come against two really strong defenses and with most of it coming from a second and third string RB, I'm really excited about our offense and this new dynamic we have moving forward.

Wills29

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't want to sound like a jag-off, but I see you are an intern at ESPN and you should have access to the biggest database of stats, so hopefully you can share with us what you find.

OP
OP
Packers80

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to sound like a jag-off, but I see you are an intern at ESPN and you should have access to the biggest database of stats, so hopefully you can share with us what you find.
You're making the assumption that they automatically hand us the keys to the car. I don't have, nor was I ever given any kind of database. It's also not the first thing on anyone's mind when you step into your job as an intern. I have other things and duties that I have to take care of rather than asking "would you by chance direct me towards some websites or sources that would provide amazing statistics?" That's not how it works. Wish it did, and it would be
real cool but you have to remember that I'm at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to the company. The absolute bottom. Besides, I don't think ESPN even has their own stats database. I think they use Elias Sports Bureau for their stats.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to see Lacy get 100 yards. If he gets to 70 by the 4th qtr I would hope he'd be put in to get the rest of it. It'll be a high scoring game IMO

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
99 yards wasnt bad, but he did a tad to much dancing around and going east to west rather than running forward for a small gain, instead he did end up getting TFL several times. Overall, just glad to see he did ok and averaged 4 ypc.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy ran hard and physical but he's still a kid out there, get him more carries and more coaching.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
99 yards wasnt bad, but he did a tad to much dancing around and going east to west rather than running forward for a small gain, instead he did end up getting TFL several times. Overall, just glad to see he did ok and averaged 4 ypc.
I general agree but, much like the Barry Sanders discussion, believe that you only see backs dancing when the D-line has already punctured through the blocking scheme. You don't want dancing but you also don't want guys running into the arms of defenders. It's easy to say they just need to adjust their cut but the dancing happens when you pick the next hole and that one's plugged up too. I'd rather have a TFL than a butt fumble.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im scared every time Franklin gets the ball. I can say one bad thing about lacy so far. Im just impressed!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
You're making the assumption that they automatically hand us the keys to the car. I don't have, nor was I ever given any kind of database. It's also not the first thing on anyone's mind when you step into your job as an intern. I have other things and duties that I have to take care of rather than asking "would you by chance direct me towards some websites or sources that would provide amazing statistics?" That's not how it works. Wish it did, and it would be
real cool but you have to remember that I'm at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to the company.

Feel your pain, brother, one day, it'll will look as slick as a snotty marble on a resume. :) I was fortunate to have a D.C. internship when I was in college. Largely perfected the skills necessary to thoroughly empty Argentine waste baskets and gorging myself on empanadas...oh...and the ambassador owned a winery and was generous with the free sample bottles -- aside from that, I was largely invisible. When I tell people that I had a pretty nice internship, they look impressed and I have to 'bring 'em down' a little. :)

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im scared every time Franklin gets the ball. I can say one bad thing about lacy so far. Im just impressed!

I can say a bad thing about Lacy, it seemed every time he had a safety in his nose he'd fall down like a ton of bricks. He has the power, but he's not running as hard as he needs to. He looked indecisive like he couldn't decide if he wanted to run around the safeties or if he wanted to try and run over them.

H

HardRightEdge

I just watched the Game Rewind.

Lacy is a North-South one-cut-and-go load of goodness.

I was especially impressed with his timing. Not too quick to the line, not too slow, just right to let the zone blocking open a seam. Then there's the quick feet at the line to angle through on the one-cut.

And you have to like the muscle to get the fall-forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starks is healthy (hopefully at least 80%+)so we'll have a 1,2 punch. Lacy has 120+ yards & at least 1 TD

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched the Game Rewind.

Lacy is a North-South one-cut-and-go load of goodness.

I was especially impressed with his timing. Not too quick to the line, not too slow, just right to let the zone blocking open a seam. Then there's the quick feet at the line to angle through on the one-cut.

And you have to like the muscle to get the fall-forward.
Starks is also a one cut runner.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts