Earnest Graham signs new deal with Tampa Bay

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
expect Grant's agent to push for a deal similar if not slightly larger than this one. Probably something comparable to the 4 year/$12 million deal Julius Jones got with Seattle.

This is exactly why the owners are in the predicament they are in right now with as they put it, the "rising costs" of fielding a team.

In 2004 Eli Manning got a $45 million dollar deal, $20 million guaranteed. So, when Alex Smith was drafted #1 in 2005, his agent said, "Eli got $20 million guaranteed, so my client should get at least that much. So what did the 49ers do? They were stupid enough to do just that. They gave Alex Smith, an over rated quarterback, $24 million guaranteed and $49.5 million over all. Where are they now? Exactly.

Then a few years later, JaMarcus Russell holds out and suckers the Raiders into doing the same thing. Alex Smith got $24 million guaranteed, and Mario Williams got $26.5 million guaranteed, so in the owners' logic, that means JaMarcus Russell should get at least that, and over paid him giving him $32 million guaranteed.

Now, the owners are complaining about rising costs, and inflated rookie salaries, when they are the ones writing the checks.

Basing one persons salary on someone else's, just because they were both drafted #1, or they both had similar seasons, or because one owner overpaid someone else, is bad management. Every situation is different.

The reason Ted Thompson has fielded a good team, is because he does his homework, and he doesn't allow other contracts, or other owners determine the value of a player. So If I were Ryan Grant's agent, I would not use the "Well Julias Jones got this much so my client should get...." strategy. Ted Thompson doesn't play that way. Ryan Grant will get offered what he is worth, determined by how well he does on the field, not by how much someone else got paid.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The owners all "moan" about over paying, but none of them want to be the one to say "Enough of this nonsense" and say NO to the prima donnas.
Until a few grow a set and stop the madness, the gravy train will just keep on rolling.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT and the Packers WILL pay the big bucks if you've proven yourself. Aaron Kampman is a good example. They made sure he was taken care of when the time came. He knew he deserved a big contract, but the difference is that he worked for it and earned it, he didn't just show up and demand it. I'm glad the commish stepped up and admitted that the rookie pay scales are ridiculous. I may be just a tad bias, but I've always seen the Packers as a team of real hardworking football players, not just athletes with tough agents. I've never understood why some people just think they are entitled to huge ammounts of money. I don't think I'd be able to put up with holdouts, except where necessary. Some guys that do holdout may deserve more money, but not necessarily the hefty price they are asking for. I think Ryan Grant is a stud, but I don't think it's unfair to wait to give him a big payday till after he's got atleast one full, uninterupted season under his belt. I don't see anyone else picking him up and making him a feature back, so his choices seem limited.

I've also never understood the hoopla about going #1 in the draft. You're going to a crappy team, otherwise they wouldn't have the first pick. It might just be me, but I'd rather be paid less to play for a good team, than be paid a ton to be in last place every year.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The owners all "moan" about over paying, but none of them want to be the one to say "Enough of this nonsense" and say NO to the prima donnas.
Until a few grow a set and stop the madness, the gravy train will just keep on rolling.

Very true. But, in their defense, no owner/GM wants to be the one who lets a star get away because he was "too cheap" to pay him. If a team does poorly after a fiasco like that, that GM is as good as fired.

If Green Bay hadn't improved as quickly as they did, everyone would be calling for "Tightwad" Ted's head on a platter.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Very true. But, in their defense, no owner/GM wants to be the one who lets a star get away because he was "too cheap" to pay him. If a team does poorly after a fiasco like that, that GM is as good as fired.

If Green Bay hadn't improved as quickly as they did, everyone would be calling for "Tightwad" Ted's head on a platter.
I know!
If one guy....or even 10 owners stand strong, there are guys like Jerry Jones and AL Davis that will swoop in and "buy" all the good players.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know!
If one guy....or even 10 owners stand strong, there are guys like Jerry Jones and AL Davis that will swoop in and "buy" all the good players.

Well, it's worked great for Al Davis the past five years. ;)