Early playoff predictions...

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Good stuff Jules.
How old are you?
I assumed by the "we can't be beaten by anyone other than ourselves" attitude before that you were one of our younger fans!
But reading that, I think you're older like myself and helmets, haha. More years = more things seen = more memories & more stuff forgotten.

Congratulations to Melanie Amaro!

I am 31. I can be emotional though and I really REALLY wanted to see a team I am a fan of go 19-0. I now am not sure it can ever happen. Now that the perfection tour is over the playoff jitters set in.

I am a bit concerned that Crennel shut down the Pack offense even though some injuries I feel may be too blame. I have seen him do it in the past though to Peyton and the Colts offenses time and time again though. If you are unfamiliar with Crennel he can be a load at times. He is a huge part of those Pats SB winning teams.

I just hope the Packers step it up on defense. I mean, it still baffles me at times how they have fallen off from last year so badly. I still am not sure I understand it. It just makes no sense to me.

And the top 3 teams favored; Packers/Saints/Pats have major defensive weaknesses. So I suppose all 3 teams need their QBs to play hero to win it all? I simply think it's near impossible for all 3 of those teams to all make the final 4 maybe based on defense. Someone is going to get upset.....I hope it's not Green Bay.

Luckily for GB there are not many top D's in the NFC playoffs but still these guys have to step it up since they likely will play vs. a few top offenses.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
This year has totally proved the NFL has become some what of a one dimensional league of teams.

Top offenses
Packers
Saints
Patriots
Eagles

None of those 4 teams have a defensive unit I would trust. NE is total garbage, the Saints try to get stops, getting better with blitz, but still far from the 2009 team. Packers took a HUGE step backwards from last year, oh and I guess you can call the Eagles a top offense too since they rack up and run stats up, but they also have one of the worst defenses out there. The "Wide 9" is a complete joke.

Top defenses
Ravens
49ers
Jets
Steelers

The Ravens have 2 good WR's, a good back, nice veteran back, but they don't have a quarterback. Joe plays like Flacc, and when you're trailing, it gets worse with his zero pocket awareness. 49ers also have an out standing defense, a very complete figure on defense, yet on offense it consists of running the ball down to the redzone and kicking field goals for the majority of the game. Jets on the hand, goes without saying. Mark Sanchez sucks.AS for the Steelers, they do have a "GOOD" offense, but elite? Noooooo. Pittsburgh's offense can put up points, but I do not find them a top team in general.

We don't really have any complete teams, it's either all offense or all defense. All those teams have major issues one side or another.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope the Packers step it up on defense. I mean, it still baffles me at times how they have fallen off from last year so badly. I still am not sure I understand it. It just makes no sense to me.
While I am just as saddened, concerned as you are, I am not baffled at all.
This sport, defense, and especially Dom Capers' system, really is the sum of all parts. It's like a machine.
But there are still differences, big time, between generic parts and high-quality parts.

Like it or not, Cullen Jenkins and Nick Collins were genuine, extreme high-quality parts. They were as good as you can get.

One of them was on the front line, generating pressure and wreaking havoc in the trenches getting after QBs.
The other was the back end, covering up for a lot of gambles (Woodson, Tramon love to gamble for picks), and making a lot of great plays himself.
Both ends, both huge in the passing game.

Now losing those 2 playmakers, their plays, is bad enough!
But replacing Jenkins with a stiff, a replacement part, has an effect on Matthews as well.

I guarantee that Jason Babin is not better than Clay Matthews. But that Eagles DE now has 18 sacks as offensive linemen know Jenkins needs 2 guys to block him on obvious passing downs. It's allowed Babin a ton of 1-on-1 chances, and he beats them. As Clay often did. Now if we play a team who has a weak OT who can't handle him 1-on-1, they much easier have an extra guy who can help on Clay. They don't worry about any other DL we have getting to their QB's.

That was a big mistake Ted made because Cullen didn't cost that much. He got barely more than James Jones did. I love James and often defend him, but would the dropoff from him to Gurley be as bad as from Jenkins to Mike Neal or CJ Wilson has been?

The Collins injury was just crappy luck. The play it happened on seemed harmless, plus it was a RB screen and a LB should have been near him. I'm still mad about our LB coverage.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Of course we have to still see the final playoff seedings. A lot can happen in two weeks.

And then of course it's often tough to predict if there will be that team. You know. Them. The team everyone says no way to and they go on a run. May not happen every year but more times then not that team is there. They might not make it to the SB or even win it. But, could still make a run. Can be in either conference or even one in both.

I'll tell you this. Some elite offensive team with a struggling D needs to see the D step it up in the playoffs. I have faith the Pack can do it but it has to be seen too. Now, many are feeling Packers/Patriots. In many ways that would just defy a lot of logic. Sure it's the ultimate QB battle but how often do we see the last ranked D's in both conferences at this point in the season both make it in? Since the NFC really seems to have one true consistently good D in SF it seems the odds favor NE more to lose out on the SB over Packers/Saints to me. I can see the AFC sending a team with an elite D in it more then I can see SF getting to the big one. I could see an elite offense vs. elite defense in the SB more then I see elite offense vs. elite offense. What happened in 2009 was rare. Both #1 seeds who seemingly looked to be on runs to perfection with elite offenses. However neither D was ranked last in their conferences either; Saints 25th overall and Colts 18th overall. The Saints beat a darn good AFC winner.

I think thats why so many fear the Saints. They look a bit at times like the 2009 squad.Right now the Saints overall D is at 24.

On the plus side the Pack may be able to move up to 30th in total defense if the Bucs currently at 30 get pounded in the final 2 week by the Panthers/Falcons.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Of course we have to still see the final playoff seedings. A lot can happen in two weeks.

And then of course it's often tough to predict if there will be that team. You know. Them. The team everyone says no way to and they go on a run. May not happen every year but more times then not that team is there. They might not make it to the SB or even win it. But, could still make a run. Can be in either conference or even one in both.

I'll tell you this. Some elite offensive team with a struggling D needs to see the D step it up in the playoffs. I have faith the Pack can do it but it has to be seen too. Now, many are feeling Packers/Patriots. In many ways that would just defy a lot of logic. Sure it's the ultimate QB battle but how often do we see the last ranked D's in both conferences at this point in the season both make it in? Since the NFC really seems to have one true consistently good D in SF it seems the odds favor NE more to lose out on the SB over Packers/Saints to me. I can see the AFC sending a team with an elite D in it more then I can see SF getting to the big one. I could see an elite offense vs. elite defense in the SB more then I see elite offense vs. elite offense. What happened in 2009 was rare. Both #1 seeds who seemingly looked to be on runs to perfection with elite offenses. However neither D was ranked last in their conferences either; Saints 25th overall and Colts 18th overall. The Saints beat a darn good AFC winner.

I think thats why so many fear the Saints. They look a bit at times like the 2009 squad.Right now the Saints overall D is at 24.

On the plus side the Pack may be able to move up to 30th in total defense if the Bucs currently at 30 get pounded in the final 2 week by the Panthers/Falcons.

For my money the Saints offense is better than it was in 2009. That's bad of me to say, but statistically and from watching them this year, I think Brees struggles really have paid off in the long run. He had like 22 picks last year, and most of them were from tipped passes and bouncing balls out of receivers hands, but you see he didn't throw those guys under the bus, they improved in the long run. But compared to their 2009 offense, the Saints have the missing link they did not have back then, and that is a strong(er) running game, but also I'd take Jimmy Graham any day over Jeremy Shockey.

If their defense was a turnover machine like it was in 2009, they would be my pick, you're right in times they do look like that same team all over again, but the big difference is all the turnovers. When ever the Saints fell behind in 2009, even in games that looked like they would lose, they'd get huge turnovers and it would quickly change the tide. The Packers defense kinda reminded me of that same team in a way (Woodson/Sharper as a veteran to help the younger guys) but it's hard to really compare them when one is 4-3 and the other is 3-4.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
For my money the Saints offense is better than it was in 2009. That's bad of me to say, but statistically and from watching them this year, I think Brees struggles really have paid off in the long run. He had like 22 picks last year, and most of them were from tipped passes and bouncing balls out of receivers hands, but you see he didn't throw those guys under the bus, they improved in the long run. But compared to their 2009 offense, the Saints have the missing link they did not have back then, and that is a strong(er) running game, but also I'd take Jimmy Graham any day over Jeremy Shockey.

If their defense was a turnover machine like it was in 2009, they would be my pick, you're right in times they do look like that same team all over again, but the big difference is all the turnovers. When ever the Saints fell behind in 2009, even in games that looked like they would lose, they'd get huge turnovers and it would quickly change the tide. The Packers defense kinda reminded me of that same team in a way (Woodson/Sharper as a veteran to help the younger guys) but it's hard to really compare them when one is 4-3 and the other is 3-4.

Tomorrow will be telling. Seattle has a top 10 D, gets a division rival off a short week and playing in Seattle is tough for anyone. Niners have lost the last 5 or 6 there. If they beat the Niners then the Saints will grab the second seed and we will be closer and closer to a potential Packers/Saints title game.

It's tough to get EITHER Rodgers or Brees to turn it over. The Packers may have to force a fumble in the cold. Dome teams can get sloppy once in a while outdoors in the postseason. And it's the same sometimes with dome kickers missing outdoors.

It would be funny if the Super Bowl was decided thanks to a week 1 shootout the Packers got by in. Homefield is that big against the Saints. I wouldn't want to go to New Orleans.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
49ers hung on today, just have to beat the St Louis Lambs next week to hang onto the #2 seed and make the Saints have to go outdoors and win 2 games to make it to the Super Bowl (barring upsets).

Looking forward to the Falcons at Saints tomorrow. Atlanta plays them tough.

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jules, the team that will be "THAT TEAM" this year IMO are the giants. They look like THAT team to me.

As much as it saddens me to say this, i do not see the patriots making the SB. They MIGHT (big MIGHT) make the AFCG, but i don't see them going to the SB. I mean, we might have to face PITT and BALT en route to the title game/superbowl. That is quite the gauntlet to run. And besides, our defense is HORRIBLE. Unrealiable... i miss bruschi/harrison. Only way i can see the patriots making the SB is if our O-line is completely healthy... because if brady has time, he just does not lose.

The lions looked pretty damn good today against the chargers... so let's see how the packers play them next week (or the lions play the packs for that matter, since the lions have the NFC locked up.. and packers might have HCA locked up). So if both teams sort of "take it easy" in the final game of the season, than obviously that is not a good barometer for the packers.

Nonetheless, i can still see the packers making the SB this year. If the niners keep the second seed (which seems likely), the saints would have to play on the road, where they have been quite vulnerable. I just don't see the niners beating the packers (the niners defense is REALLLY REALLY GOOD), but their passing game just seems too inept for the niners to beat the packers (But then again, the chiefs inept offense ran all over the packers). However, if the packers reach the NFCG (Where they would either face the saints or niners), i am assuming their defense would have gelled by then and would be able to stop alex smith and the niners offense. Niners running game seems elite at times..... but i think GB can handle it.

The saints on the other hand...i would NOT want to see them at lambeau. They have a top 3 offense in the league...and what is even scarier is how their running game has flashes of ELITENESS. What if sproles and the other RB'S play LIGHTS OUT at lambeua? I mean it is certainly a possibility, the talent is there. That would definitely open the passing game for brees, which would spell chaos for the packers.

I would put packers as favorites against both teams though.

Note: Before someone hates on me (JULES I SEE YOU!!) I should mention that if aaron rodgers and the packers offense plays to their potential, NO TEAM in the NFL will beat the packers. None.

I am pretty damn excited for the playoffs. This year has tons of competitive teams... a beauty to witness in sports

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Jules, the team that will be "THAT TEAM" this year IMO are the giants. They look like THAT team to me.

As much as it saddens me to say this, i do not see the patriots making the SB. They MIGHT (big MIGHT) make the AFCG, but i don't see them going to the SB. I mean, we might have to face PITT and BALT en route to the title game/superbowl. That is quite the gauntlet to run. And besides, our defense is HORRIBLE. Unrealiable... i miss bruschi/harrison. Only way i can see the patriots making the SB is if our O-line is completely healthy... because if brady has time, he just does not lose.

The lions looked pretty damn good today against the chargers... so let's see how the packers play them next week (or the lions play the packs for that matter, since the lions have the NFC locked up.. and packers might have HCA locked up). So if both teams sort of "take it easy" in the final game of the season, than obviously that is not a good barometer for the packers.

Nonetheless, i can still see the packers making the SB this year. If the niners keep the second seed (which seems likely), the saints would have to play on the road, where they have been quite vulnerable. I just don't see the niners beating the packers (the niners defense is REALLLY REALLY GOOD), but their passing game just seems too inept for the niners to beat the packers (But then again, the chiefs inept offense ran all over the packers). However, if the packers reach the NFCG (Where they would either face the saints or niners), i am assuming their defense would have gelled by then and would be able to stop alex smith and the niners offense. Niners running game seems elite at times..... but i think GB can handle it.

The saints on the other hand...i would NOT want to see them at lambeau. They have a top 3 offense in the league...and what is even scarier is how their running game has flashes of ELITENESS. What if sproles and the other RB'S play LIGHTS OUT at lambeua? I mean it is certainly a possibility, the talent is there. That would definitely open the passing game for brees, which would spell chaos for the packers.

I would put packers as favorites against both teams though.

Note: Before someone hates on me (JULES I SEE YOU!!) I should mention that if aaron rodgers and the packers offense plays to their potential, NO TEAM in the NFL will beat the packers. None.

I am pretty damn excited for the playoffs. This year has tons of competitive teams... a beauty to witness in sports

Agree with much of this. And I guess we can't get rid of the Giants. NY teams love to linger around.......I am not sure I have any faith in the Cowboys to beat them either. And Tony Romo has a bad throwing hand now.

Lions looked pretty darn good. I was stunned. I picked SD to win since I also had Buffalo beating Denver in an upset. I thought the door would open for SD like it often does in the division but they did not take advantage.

Now if Baltimore wants a bye they have to beat a hungry Bengals team in Cincy. Cincy wins they get the 6th seed I believe. Tough game.

Saints staying at #3 is huge for the Packers. Packers need to beat the Bears and get healthy. I am not sure I care much about the Lions game now as much. I mean do the Lions have anything to play for too? I guess the Lions can move up to the 5th seed if they beat the Packers and the Falcons down to #6? I don't think Atlanta has clinched yet but I have to think they will with a win over Tampa Bay at least next weekend in Atlanta.

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Jules, lions pretty much have wild card locked up. I think their next game against the packers... it will depend on how both teams come out playing.

I mean the lions could possibly meet the packers in the playoffs... so you don't want to look vulnerable against them in the last regular season game. But if the packers only play back-ups (or if the lions only play back-ups), i don't see why the other team wouldn't do the same.

Besides, if the packs win tommorow... and have HCA locked up, why risk rodgers getting injured against SUH and his mongloids?

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Lions will want to win next weekend IMO. They will want the 5th seed over the 6th. Want to play Giants/Cowboys over going back to NO. Unless they prefer to play in NO since it's an automatic indoors game but I doubt it....

Man just realized. Falcons at Saints for the WC round would be a great game.

I still won't count out the Cowboys Sunday night. Everyone will expect the Giants to win now and the pressure is on them at home. I think Romo's hand will be okay and they called the dogs off when he got hurt a bit. I did think the Eagles would beat them though. Really don't know, I kinda have always had a soft spot for Romo in that Dallas circus and would be happy for him if he can pull this out vs. the G men.

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions will want to win next weekend IMO. They will want the 5th seed over the 6th. Want to play Giants/Cowboys over going back to NO. Unless they prefer to play in NO since it's an automatic indoors game but I doubt it....

Man just realized. Falcons at Saints for the WC round would be a great game.

I still won't count out the Cowboys Sunday night. Everyone will expect the Giants to win now and the pressure is on them at home. I think Romo's hand will be okay and they called the dogs off when he got hurt a bit. I did think the Eagles would beat them though. Really don't know, I kinda have always had a soft spot for Romo in that Dallas circus and would be happy for him if he can pull this out vs. the G men.
soft spot for romo because he is good looking? o

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
soft spot for romo because he is good looking? o

hahaha thats what my dad thinks. I don't really know. I just think he's funny. He can be so good and so bad in one game and seems like such a klutz.

BTW can the Packers please get a more consistent run game going? I think the D as bad as it has been at times has the knack to make a big play or two in the clutch as we have seen. I do get worried over running the ball consistently though.

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hahaha thats what my dad thinks. I don't really know. I just think he's funny. He can be so good and so bad in one game and seems like such a klutz.

BTW can the Packers please get a more consistent run game going? I think the D as bad as it has been at times has the knack to make a big play or two in the clutch as we have seen. I do get worried over running the ball consistently though.

LMAO, it is obvious now that you like romo because of how he looks.

The packers D doesn't look too bad atm IMO

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I'd love to see Lions at Cowboys in the WC round. And see if Romo can get revenge for that meltdown against Detroit earlier in the year.

In the AFC.....damn. So many tough games this weekend. Ravens at Bengals is a good one. Bengals have not beaten a winning team I think yet this year but the Ravens are a poor road team so far. Baltimore is a great home team and has to want that bye. Ugh......

Heck I don't even think the Steelers over Browns is a gimmie either if things go anyway like the last matchup.

Chiefs at Broncos. Chargers at Raiders. Good stuff. Orton knows the Broncos well. Oakland has 3 straight wins over the Chargers now and rumor is McFadden might return.
Pats can't overlook the Bills and won't. I don't see the Bills sweeping NE at all though. I picked NE to lose to Buffalo early in the year. It was a hunch it would be the Bills super bowl. Sometimes my gut feelings are right. Sometimes wrong. Right now I have a hunch the Cowboys win Sunday night in a suprise but I may change my mind later.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't the Seaducks won 3 or 4 in a row? That defense is playing better, and the Niners for a very long time have got their **** kicked in on the road against the 'ducks, so I am taking Seattle, whom is fighting for their lives to win out and try to make playoffs.

I also think the 49ers are still goig to lose in the first round. I just have that feeling...I'm not doing predictions beyond this picture, cause this could very well turn out to be inaccurate.

It was a struggle, but the Niners have pretty much secured the second seed in the NFC as I thought they
would. Put me down for the Niners beating the Saints if New Orleans has to travel to San Francisco.
The Saints are a great team, but they have struggled outdoors this year.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
It was a struggle, but the Niners have pretty much secured the second seed in the NFC as I thought they
would. Put me down for the Niners beating the Saints if New Orleans has to travel to San Francisco.
The Saints are a great team, but they have struggled outdoors this year.

I would like to see the Saints man handle them for giggles around the house. I also would like to believe Sean Payton out smarts a rookie head coach in the playoffs, but if the Niners can beat them, three cheers for them because I don't want to play the Saints in the playoffs.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Not a prediction but tonight before the game on the NFL network four commentators were asked who would give the Packers the most trouble at Lambeau Field. Marshall Faulk said only the Packers themselves, Charles Davis said the 49ers with their running attack and defense, Heath Evans said the Saints because they can match the Packers point for point and are balanced on offense, and Brian Billick said the Lions because they can get inside and outside pressure on Rodgers with just their DL

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL Commenters are right. If the Packers play a perfect game - OL stands tall, WR minimize drops, Rodgers accurate on pretty much every throw, defense gets some pressure, secondary isn't confused on who covers who, no one can beat us with the talent we have. Sadly, that's probably a lot to ask for. 49ers scare me. Our run defense has been pathetic. No name RB average 5 yards or so a carry. Hopefully Pickett back will be a big help. Technically Saints offense is good, but Drew Brees has never played a playoff game in 20 degree weather before. Big question mark right there. That Lions DL, all it takes it one hit for Rodgers to be off his game. Plus it's not like they're a very clean team this year....

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Let's just get this done. Let's do this.

Let's get it going on Packers. Go repeat and make history. Prove the doubters wrong!!!

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year has totally proved the NFL has become some what of a one dimensional league of teams.

We don't really have any complete teams, it's either all offense or all defense. All those teams have major issues one side or another.

That's why I say there are no truly elite teams in the NFL this year. Every single team is vulnerable in one way or another. That's how the Chiefs beat the Packers, the Cardinals beat the 49ers, and the Rams beat the Saints.

The playoffs will be impossible to predict.
GO NINERS! GO PACKERS!

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
That's why I say there are no truly elite teams in the NFL this year. Every single team is vulnerable in one way or another. That's how the Chiefs beat the Packers, the Cardinals beat the 49ers, and the Rams beat the Saints.

The playoffs will be impossible to predict.
GO NINERS! GO PACKERS!

I'll agree with that, as that is one of the best comments on this topic I have heard all week.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I actually think the Niners can beat the Saints at home. Hold the Saints to some FGs and run the ball well and you have a shot to win the game. lol though at the Seahawks finally getting that rushing TD vs. the Niners. Tough divisional game though.

Niners are a pretty good team getting very ignored at times due to all the explosive offenses. And Harbaugh is no average rookie HC to me either. I would certainly take him over Jim Caldwell of 2009 who I feel was carried by Manning.

I might be feeling Niners at Packers again after all like I was earlier this season. NO is getting so much hype and looks awesome but will the defensive/hard running Niners give them trouble?