Early mock draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who do you think will be available in the second round that adds better value?

I don't think there will be any NT prospects available when the Packers pick in the second round offering better value but McCarthy will probably be on the board in the fourth or fifth round as well.

H

HardRightEdge

If the Packers don't take Jordan Phillips in the 1st round, then they probably won't take any DT. Chances are very good that Leonard Williams, Danny Shelton and Malcolm Brown, the top 3 DTs will all be gone by #30. That leaves Phillips, who is the kind of DT the Packers needs. After that you have Carl Davis. He has bigger motor and attitude issues than Phillips. Then there's Eddie Goldman. Opinions on him vary the most. Some have him mid-1st round, others a 2nd rounder. After that there's Michael Bennett, who's basically Mike Daniels take 2 and less of what the Packers need.
I agree that Williams, Shelton and Brown will be off the board. As for Phillips, take a look at his game against TCU:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

TCU's center, #55 Joey Hunt, was giving away about 40lbs. to Phillips and thoroughly handled him. The best you can say about Phillips is he was able to push Hunt a couple steps back into the pocket on a couple passes, but not enough to affect but maybe one pass. I counted 2, maybe 3, plus plays from Phillips.

Hunt's a decent player; Rob Rang has him graded as the #6 center for the 2016 draft...that would make him about a middle round pick. Still, I'd expect more from a first round pick than what is evident on this tape.

H

HardRightEdge

I was checking out the QB physical measurements and Jerry Lovelocke, Prairie View A&M, jumps off the page:

6'4, 248, 34" arms, 10 1/2 hands.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...ameis-winston-height-weight-40-bench-vertical

Who is this guy? Here's some tape: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2530267/jerry-lovelocke

Check out the S.F. Austin game. Pro arm strength, good pocket presence, escapeability, throws out of a 9 yd. pro shotgun drop mixed in with the perfunctory pistol and option, calls audibles, made a nice wave-fake on a safety with a cross-body throw. I think I caught him reading a progression a couple of times.

Sometimes his footwork looks sharp on clean drops; not so good on sideline throws and on the move. Occasionally snaps the ball out with a nice release but shows a lot of throws with an elongated motion where he looks like he's easing it instead ripping it.

Of course you never know if a guy like this would adapt to NFL game speed, but there's a lot to work with here. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a 7th. round pick or FA pickup for a PS redshirt year to see where he might go.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want us to snag a ILB in round 1.

I read somewhere don't be surprised if we drafted Dorial Green-Beckham in the 1st round.....can any of you see that happening? His measurable's are 6'5 237....that is Megatron size....He is freakish and may be there when we pick...but drafting a WR in round 1 doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Supposedly Beckham has been a first class citizen since his issue in college.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I read somewhere don't be surprised if we drafted Dorial Green-Beckham in the 1st round.....can any of you see that happening? His measurable's are 6'5 237....that is Megatron size....He is freakish and may be there when we pick...but drafting a WR in round 1 doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Yeah, idk, that's why scouts are scouts and we are not. With the way Ted drafts (and the way everyone probably ought to draft), we can assume his mindset is "which guys improves our team the most?" I know WR isn't a critical position of need, but with the other pieces we have in play, namely #12, I don't think it would be a stretch to think a legit vertical threat might be more valuable than reaching a bit to draft any of this year's ILBs in the first round.

Packerboy95

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wouldn't surprise me and i think its a good pick. You can never have enough weapons on offense and he brings what the packers need on offense, a guy that can go up and catch anything thrown his way. And he can be a redzone threat just throw fades to him and let him go up and catch them. That wouldve helped in the redzone against the seattle

D

Deleted member 6794

It all depends on the Packers re-signing Cobb. With Nelson, Cobb and Adams on the roster I don´t see the need for using a first round pick on a WR as the team has bigger holes to fill on the defensive side of the ball.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts