1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Early defensive draft picks always work out

Discussion in 'Draft Talk' started by Wood Chipper, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,410
    They never bust. We should definitely trade up. Let's look at great 1st round picks

Derrick Morgan 16th overall 2010
    Brandon Graham 13th overall 2010
    Gerald McCoy 3rd overall 2010
    Larry English 16th overall 2009
    Tyson Jackson 3rd overall 2009
    Vernon Gholston 6th overall 2008
    Jamaal Anderson 8th overall 2007
    Justin Harrell 16th overall 2007

2. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +179
    Now lets look at the ones who do work out

Patrick Willis - 11th overall in 2007
    Darrelle Revis - 14th overall in 2007
    Jerod Mayo - 10th overall in 2008
    DRC - 16th overall in 2008
    BJ Raji - 9th overall in 2009
    Brian Orakpo - 13th overall in 2009
    Brian Cushing - 15th overall in 2009
    Ndamukong Suh - 2nd overall in 2010
    Eric Berry - 5th overall in 2010
    Earl Thomas - 14th overall in 2010
    JPP - 15th overall in 2010

Those are just players who have made the pro-bowl but there are a few other players scattered in those drafts that are solid players. Since 2007 (thats the year I chose to start looking but I am sure it goes back for as long as the draft) you have a greater chance of drafting a pro-bowl player in the first round than any other round. I am also a fan of trading back and accumulating picks but trading up to get a specific player is not necessarily a bad thing, ex: Clay Matthews.

3. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,410
    My point is we should not assume the only way to get a good defensive player is to trade up.

4. Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +133
    That's why trading up is such a huge risk...the draft is a crap-shoot no matter how you look at it, and to trade away picks to move up is a calculated risk. The player doesn't just need to be a highly rated talent...TT would have to be head over heels for the player for him to make a move.

It amazes me to this day that he had the nads to move up and take CM3...he had the one great year at USC, and bulked up so quickly there had to be some red flags about taking him. But hey...he nailed it.

OKCPackerFan I would take issue with a few of the players you listed as success stories like Cushing and Raji. Cushing hasn't been the same player since he got busted, and Raji is good but we'll see if he's great...too soon to tell IMO. Berry and Thomas I will confess I haven't heard much about them.