Earl Campbell

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Does anyone remember this guy, or seen this footage?

I've been thinking about running backs a lot recently, and Earl was always my favorite of all time.

With every what if scenario if players, I like to think What if they would have actually built an offense around this guy, instead of working him down. I've seen some old Oiler games from his time, and they ran the ball 80% of the time. Didn't have much of a quarterback, no wide receivers, nothing. Other than Earl, they had a good set of cornerbacks on the defense, but that was it. It sads me today what has become of his body from playing the game.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui844C3TQVI]YouTube - Earl Campbell Highlights[/ame]

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember him. He was a heck of a running back for the Oilers.

Whats up with his body now?

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Have you seen him in recent years? His back and legs are so screwed up he's in a wheel chair.
Some people use him as an example of the downside of football injuries. Someone once said "It hurt you more than it hurt him on tackling him" probably was true, but it took 3-5 guys to bring him down most of the time, causing his career to go short very fast.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I remember him. He was a heck of a running back for the Oilers.

Whats up with his body now?

Well, I saw him not too long ago on TV, he sort of looked like Grady on Sanford And Son.

Also heard from someone they saw him all liquored up in Vegas losing big bucks at the table. Don't know if that's true or not.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is my favorite offensive player of all time. I have his game worn helmet, its one of my favorite pieces. Have you seen the highlight from him at texas carrying the guy?

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
He is my favorite offensive player of all time. I have his game worn helmet, its one of my favorite pieces. Have you seen the highlight from him at texas carrying the guy?

Sadly I haven't seen any of his college highlights.

I love Earl just as much as I do Moon. Down here in the South, we like to say that the Titans don't wear the 1980's-1990's Oilers throwbacks because the way they play they are complete disgrace to the only team in Texas we ever liked :laughing:

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
it is not surprising to hear what happpen to Earl Campbell's body in his old age. That carpet at New Orleans Dome was awlful. It was like carpet laid on top of blacktop. The NFL should never allowed a game to be played on it.. . He paid a great price for playing for the Saints.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
My first ever game at Lambeau was the December 14, 1980 game against the Oilers. I had just started dating my wife and she got me tickets for my birthday. Campbell was an animal and it was fun for me because I always liked the snake when he played for Oakland so it was good to see him play as well. Unfortunately, we got our butts kicked, but it was awesome to be at Lambeau.
Thanks for reminding me about that first game.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't see many running backs now a days plowing over guys like Earl did. He was a human bowling ball. To bad his body broke down so badly.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember everyone commented on the size of his legs. Of course everyone wanted those thigh pads. I even remember the brand name...Donzi.

I can't remember what I had for supper last night, but I remember what the brand name of Earl Campbell's thigh pads were...guess I know where my priorities are.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the best highlight clips is the one where he bulldozes a dude with a helmet square in the chest and drags 2 others as his jersey got ripped off. Classic.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxugRBWN8gw]YouTube - Earl Campbell tribute to power backs[/ame]

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I had the pleasure to meet Earl Campbell about seven years ago in Houston, TX. He was hired to sign autographs at one of my company's corporate events- of which I was the host. Though he was not in a wheelchair, he walked very slowly and was aided by a nurse. He spent a couple hours giving autographs to the kids, but rarely looked up from the table. When we talked, it was a challenge to understand him at times. He was very pleasant and I enjoyed his visit.

He is a legend and was a great player. I remain troubled to see such a giant of men so severely humbled by time and by the toll his body took year after year.

Hope the NFL takes notice, too.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bulldozer coached by Bum Phillips. Seems like yesterday but now so long ago. Geez.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
it is not surprising to hear what happpen to Earl Campbell's body in his old age. That carpet at New Orleans Dome was awlful. It was like carpet laid on top of blacktop. The NFL should never allowed a game to be played on it.. . He paid a great price for playing for the Saints.

He paid a higher price with the Oilers. by the time he went to New Orleans, he was done. They didn't even use him as a starter.

If you watch any Oiler games when they lost to Pittsburgh back to back in the championship games, you'll see they ran the ball 90% of every game. Pittsburgh was one of the only teams that could shut their one dimensional attack of 'give the ball to Earl' every down.

bradwillrockyou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a kid living in Killeen, Texas when Earl Campbell was playing for the Oilers. He seemed like a god. I remember being at a movie theater and the management would interrupt the film periodically to announce live score updates of the Cowboys/Oilers in progress. It didn't seem unusual at the time. Ha. Makes me miss Texas!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Tyler Rose

I've been to Tyler, Texas, just 90 minutes from here... he was awesome for the LUV YA BLUE Oilers... sucked that they never made a Super Bowl with him and Dan Pastorini at QB.

Earl took a beating. It's too bad he played on rock hard turf. He took a beating, and yes he's in terrible shape now. He's a poster child for why the NFL Vets want and should get more health care coverage. The amount of money today's players make, that should be slashed by 25% just to put in health coverage for the warriors of yesteryear who are suffering because the NFL wasn't so safety-conscious as they are today.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The Tyler Rose

I've been to Tyler, Texas, just 90 minutes from here... he was awesome for the LUV YA BLUE Oilers... sucked that they never made a Super Bowl with him and Dan Pastorini at QB.

Earl took a beating. It's too bad he played on rock hard turf. He took a beating, and yes he's in terrible shape now. He's a poster child for why the NFL Vets want and should get more health care coverage. The amount of money today's players make, that should be slashed by 25% just to put in health coverage for the warriors of yesteryear who are suffering because the NFL wasn't so safety-conscious as they are today.

I agree with everything you said.

They had the defense to compete for their division with Earl, but their offense was just him.

I think they traded Pastorini for a washed up Kenny Stabler. Shame the Oilers never really had a quarterback while they had Earl.

If Warren Moon would have been at the helm, along with Earl in the back field there is no doubt in my mind the Oilers would have went to the Super Bowl in the early 90's. With Earl they had no passing game. With Moon they didn't try to run the ball.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts