Eagles let Hugh Douglass go

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone think that Hugh Douglass has some gas left in the tank or is he done? I'm wondering if he comes cheap, if the Packers should look at him as a situational pass rusher opposite KGB?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, he was good last year. I'm confused by this because I thought he was their defensive leader. I know that he hated Terrell Owens, and I wonder if that factored into this. If Douglas does have something left, he could be a great addition to the Packers.

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg, I don't know if he was their defensive leader or not, I would probably put either Trottier or Dawkins in that category but he definitely was looked up to as a veteran on that defense. I agree, if the price is right, the Packers should give him a look.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this stage of the game, you pick up anyone off the waiver wire that can help make your team better. I sincerely believe that if Thompson and Sherman belive that the defensive linemen we have can develop into something special, then you live with their mistakes because the upside is high. If you don't believe that Washington, Jenkins, Montgomery etc. are going to get a lot better, then you pick up a player like Douglass because for the time being, you can get much better. If we're reloading and not rebuilding, then you take Douglass if you can get him. If we're rebuildling then you let your young kids play and hope they get better.

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't heard anyone from the Packers say we're "rebuilding" in spite of the young blood that has been thrust in the mix and veterans let go. I'm assuming they believe these young guys can play at least at the same level and are not looking to give away this season. It they are rebuilding, it's really sad at the twilight of Favre's career. That's not exactly the way the Broncos dealt with Elway's last few years, eh? For example, I think Collins is better than Sharper right now so all the youngsters won't make the Packers take a step back IMO.

G

NDPackerFan said:
I haven't heard anyone from the Packers say we're "rebuilding" in spite of the young blood that has been thrust in the mix and veterans let go. I'm assuming they believe these young guys can play at least at the same level and are not looking to give away this season. It they are rebuilding, it's really sad at the twilight of Favre's career. That's not exactly the way the Broncos dealt with Elway's last few years, eh? For example, I think Collins is better than Sharper right now so all the youngsters won't make the Packers take a step back IMO.

TT is using the 2005 as an evaluating season. He wants to evaluate the talent the Packers have now.

That will be a starting point to see what the Packers will need in terms of draft and FA for 2006 and beyond.

TT and Packers are looking towards 2006-2007.

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, TT is using the 2005 season as one to win the division, make the playoffs, and hopefully go deep in one of Brett Favre's last couple seasons with GB. Hopefully even a trip to Detroit for the SB. Nowhere could I find a statement from TT stating that this season was going to be played "just to find out where we are and where we need to go". That would be ridiculous. :p

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, 34 and it is quite possible he'll fall off the table this year in ability. He's an intriguing player though, nonetheless. I would say he's worth a workout, bare minimum.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if the Colts picked him up to go along with Simon? It may be short term but do you now pick them to knock off the Patriots? I would.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts