Eagles Game last year - Playoffs

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For starters, I want to premise this as being in no true way any insult to any Member in this Forum - Having said that, let's move on....

:soapbox:

Everyone remembers that fateful play where Barnett over-pursued his coverage and, as usual, Sharper was one step waaay too late in destroying a great opportunity for the opposing Team. Outsiders always try and say that one play was the whole deal in Philadelphia last year.

IT WASN'T THEN ....AND STILL ISN'T, NOW!

My inference is this --- IF Rossley doesn't call that incredibly stupid pass play for Brett to throw to the WR(?) - which was then summarily thrown straight up into the air and intercepted, due to the pass rush they used, doh - then the Eagles NEVER, ever, see the ball again! ("paraphrase" edited out) ..and the Packers play Carolina, the week after. And then, most probably we would end up seeing and (who knows) winning(?) against New England.

That pass play was something the Eagles had been waiting for all game - they prepped for it as Andy Reid is very familiar with Bret Favre... having been Packer-trained at his craft as a Coach.

I say it could've happened that way. We are, after all, THE GREEN BAY PACKERS - 'the' most heralded team in the annals of the NFL, without a doubt. And with our 3xMVP QB at the steering wheel - it may have just played out that way.

So - 4th & 26 is not such a great insult rag and everyone should really go back and take a hard look at something even more telling, since so many Philly Sports Writers are so quick to fan the fames of fandom at McNabb...

"Take me out Coach, my ribs hurt!" / "C'mon Coach, I can't take the pain!" :wtf:

Donovan McNabb is definitely NO Brett Favre and NEVER will be!

He couldn't even finish a playoff game.. geez! What BS hype that's always been! Oh don't get me wrong, he's a pretty decent QB, but no better than Pennington, or Jake, the Snake, etc. His string of consecutive games is flimsy at best.... and Brett plays with how many injuries every game...eh?
Donovan McNabb will never be as good as Brett Favre, ....ever! :moon: :feedback:

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm confused.......I assume the interception you are refering to was the one Brett threw in overtime. If so, how can you assume the Eagles wouldn't have gotten the ball back and what do you mean by running out the clock. The game was tied. It was overtime and first to score wins. A lot of fans say that on the final drive before the 4th and 26, we should have gone for it on 4th and 1 instead of punting, but my feeling has always been that Sherman made the right call there. I felt the biggest mistake we made was not calling a timeout before the 4th and 26 so that everyone on defense was on the same page. We blew a golden opportunity last year and I hope it won't be the last one Brett gets.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was watching SuperBowl highlights of the SuperBowl with the Steelers and Cowboys in super Bowl 13 last night. The steel curtain gave up a 4th and 18 to the Cowboys late in that game that allowed the Cowboys to have a new set of downs where they eventually scored a TD. But they didn't get the onside kick and lost the game. No one ever remembers that 4th and 18 though since the Steelers won the game. Most people only remember Jackie Smith dropping a TD pass from Staubach earlier in the game.

I still think 4th and 26 was terrible for the Packers, but I guess if the Steel Curtain can give up a 4th and 18, any defense can.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay - I'm just a bit fuzzy about the exact position in the game... the point was..

We had the ball - and as long as we "run" the ball.. then we would have scored first...correct? Eagles never regain possession - hence they never score. And as far as what part of the game I'm referring to --- after the INT, the Eagles then regained possession and didn't the backup QB just about blow it.. if not for the "4th & 26" - right? Shortly thereafter they won by scoring a field goal which should have been the Packers doing that, not the Eagles. No - I think I told the story correctly... with exception of paraphrasing "the time clock runs out (on the eagles)"... consider it a typo! It was a great game up to that point - hard fought and well played - even with Green stumbling over our own O-Lineman's leg - wasn't that Flanagan? The Eagles simply could not stop our running game. I really don't think the Pats would have either! Certainly that moment right there was Sherman's chance to take home the Lombardi Trophy... He'll never get that chance again, unless providence steps in during this playoff run. I smell a Coaching change, very soon!

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An irony forgotten in the 4th and 26 disaster is the fact the Viqueens gave up a 4th and 28 on the last play of the game against the Cardinals that allowed us to get into the playoffs in the first place.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NCPackerfan said:
An irony forgotten in the 4th and 26 disaster is the fact the Viqueens gave up a 4th and 28 on the last play of the game against the Cardinals that allowed us to get into the playoffs in the first place.

excellent point. actually, i think we could go back and forth on this one for eternity. everything is relative during the course of a game, and hindsight generally means you're not looking forward.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4th and 1

I think the big mistake in the Playoff game against the Eagles was not to go for it on 4th and 1. We had driven their defense into the ground with our running game all day, They were suckin wind. We make it and they don't get the ball back. We win. :evil:

Members online

Latest posts