Eagles dream team?

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Well, I see they are still going to give Vick a free pass. Interviewed him during the game after he was done. Not one question on why did you stink so bad tonight.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
\e the Eagles are going to be the Miami Heat of NFL, as in all hype and media attention. Maybe if Michael Vick was as big an a-hole as LeBron James, everyone would really hate them then.

And that is an issue, cuz that means they get to the SB

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
And that is an issue, cuz that means they get to the SB

That is the scary part.

The Eagles may get the good refs this year like Pittsburgh got back when they LOST but won the Super Bowl to the Seahawks, but I doubt it will happen.

You cannot convince me the NBA is not rigged after watching last year. The refs tried pretty damn hard to hand Miami the win in game 6 as they shot 3 times more freeshots than Dallas, but those clowns had already gave up. Just like how when Miami won it years ago. Rigged.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the NBA was rigged it would have been Lebron vs Kobe yet again in the Finals. It wasnt.

I highly doubt the Eagles opened up much of the playbook last night or even game planned much for it.

If the Packers lose tonight in similar fashion is everyone going to react the same? Or just come to their senses?

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
If the NBA was rigged it would have been Lebron vs Kobe yet again in the Finals. It wasnt.

The Miami Heat shot far more free throws than any team last year. Yeah it's rigged.
Look at the stats for game 6 of the Finals. Even when they played Chicago, they still out shot them by at least 10-15 free throw attempts per game. They got them to the Finals, but they just gave up after a team challenged them without the refs.

Reaction score
If the Packers lose tonight in similar fashion is everyone going to react the same? Or just come to their senses?

If the Packers lost in similar fashion, I would be worried. It's not like the Steelers were playing that good... Their corners and safeties left receivers wide open for touchdowns. There has got to be an issue if you, as a corner, end up 10 yards away from your designated WR when they catch the ball.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Miami Heat shot far more free throws than any team last year. Yeah it's rigged.
Look at the stats for game 6 of the Finals. Even when they played Chicago, they still out shot them by at least 10-15 free throw attempts per game. They got them to the Finals, but they just gave up after a team challenged them without the refs.

Its shocking that the most talented team in the league in the league made the finals.

If you watched the playoffs it was pretty clear the Heat outplayed the Bulls and Celtics. Bron pretty much shut down Rose to a point where their whole offense was ineffective.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In a normal season I think the only pre season game to pay attention to as far as the state of the team is concerned is the third game. That is usually the game teams game-plan for and is considered the dress rehearsal for the season. Again as far as team evaluation goes, IMO it’s only as long as the starters are still playing and they usually play the first series of the third quarter so they can practice half-time adjustments. Even then they aren’t going to use their entire playbook. But this isn’t a normal season so for me the importance of any pre season game – other than regarding individual players’ development - is up in the air.

But even in a normal year pre season isn’t a good indication of how the season will play out. And since the regular season is a marathon and not a sprint, even the early season games are necessarily indicative of how the entire season will play out. For example, a team could go 2-2 in the pre season, start the regular season 3-3, experience a tsunami of injuries, barely make the playoffs and still win it all. I mean, that could happen, right? :)

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score

That stinks too much like the excuse the Bears fans keep coming up with that the refs give all the game to the Packers.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I take issue with this. Just that stat doesn't prove anything. If they're the most dribbling team, that could make them more propense for free throws. One would have to see how much more free throws they got compared to year's past to see if it was indicative of something, and even then it could only an anomaly...

It looks shady if you're looking for some indicament of fraud, but it could very well be a coincidence.

ilovemypackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Eagles don't have any chemistry.. I was surprised they got as far as they did last year.. but this year, they remind me of last year's Vikings.. throwing money at a problem doesn't fix it.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Eagles need time to gel just like the Heat needed time. But those Steelers looked as strong as ever. I expect them to make another solid run this year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If the Packers lost in similar fashion, I would be worried. It's not like the Steelers were playing that good... Their corners and safeties left receivers wide open for touchdowns. There has got to be an issue if you, as a corner, end up 10 yards away from your designated WR when they catch the ball.

Our D doesnt look good at all..If not for Card offense penalties, the Cards would be blowing them out..

So I guess we will have to hope our offense can carry the team all year

**sarcasm off**

Reaction score
Our D doesnt look good at all..If not for Card offense penalties, the Cards would be blowing them out..

**sarcasm off**

Lol... But seriously. I bet you didn't watch more than the highlights of the Eagles game because there is a difference between a QB picking the defense apart and the QB lobbing it to wide open guys... We both know the preseason isn't at all important or doesn't show how good they will be. The Packers showed glimpses of a running game. The Eagles looked even better. Throwing the ball though? Rodgers hooked up with Finley on multiple occasions, yet still spread the ball around to players like Jennings and Driver. Vick was forcing way too many balls. The Packers defense had a couple easy opportunities to pick the ball and had a few convincing stops. Eagles? Took a vacation. I expect every single team to have their faults on a few drives, but every team should also have a few good drives under their belt. Even if it doesn't lead to points. Vick's picks? 2 were on the 3rd play of the drive.

Just to make this clear.

1. As much as I sound like I do, I don't hate the Eagles. In fact, they are in my top 5 favorite teams.
2. I don't mind Vick at all and was always a fan of Jackson since college.
3. I believe the Eagles will make the playoffs.
4. I believe the Eagles will win 11 games or more.

Who really watched the Eagles game here? The Packers looked like they played a perfect game all around compared to the Eagles the other day. If Rodgers had almost as many picks as completions, then I would be a little worried. Did the Eagles ever fix their first string offense? Nope. They didn't fix it until Kafka, their 3rd string qb threw for 160 yards and 2 tds. Did the Packers fix their first string offense after a horrible start? I think the 3rd drive summed that up with 0 incompletions, Grant averaging 8 yards on 2 carries, 5 completions to the 3 best receivers, and a touchdown as the frosting. Let me just say again. I am not hating on the Eagles. I am not gloating that the Eagles did horrible. Did anybody else really watch the Eagles game? Cause if you really did, you would see the lack of chemistry, ball distribution, mental/physical errors on defense, etc... I gotta say McCoy runs the ball good though. That is the only thing that really impressed me.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not basing my opinion of the Eagles on what I saw or didnt see..I didnt even really see any highlights...

It was 2nd pre season game for them, or 1st..What ever...But there was no offseason for them to gel as a team....The players they picked up in f/a imo, are the type of players that will try their hardest to be great....Not just some one they signed for a buttload of money..

So if they looked lost or manhandled so be it..I feel it is only because of not enough time to gel....

Thats is what I base my opinion on

But still hope they suck all year..

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

*sarcasm off**

Is it possible the D isn't using all the exotic packages and blitzes we saw last year? Could swapping players in and out a lot have something to do with? I know there is a philosophy that a team should use the pre-season to evaluate talent. But since there were no OTA, etc. Shouldn't the team be using more actual season tactics and lineups? Just wondering. It didn't look to me like the Defense was moving around all over the place trying to confuse the opponent like they did last year. Also, it seemed like a revolving door regarding the on field personnel. Or was I just imagining things?

mattwill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My ***!

First off answer me this, and since they are already "Super bowl favorites" over the 2 teams I would pick for the NFC (Saints and Packers), this is all i gotta say about them

How do we know they ain't gonna have competition in that division?
Folks give Jason Garrett hell but look at his team. Dallas is going to be challenging next year, and I think Garrett knows what he is doing. Also the Eagles are not pulling a "We're so bad ***" like Miami Heat did, but ESPN is doing it for them. All I hear about at work is Vick Vick Vick Vick....and it ain't the positive response that creates a segment of conversation. It's more of this: :suicide2:I am so tired of hearing about Michael Vick.

Yeah I KNOW, WE KNOW he's a good player, but he ain't Steve Young and he ain't Randall Cunnigham (Eagles Cunnigham had a 300+ passing season and 900+ rushing season. Something Vick can't do)

Also, how the hell is this going to work? Anyone remember all that T.O. ******** in Bungle town last year? Sure worked for them. We know, they signed a bunch of free agents, but do we really know they are going to live up to expectations? We don't know but I doubt it.

If Vick gets hurt, is Vince Young going to be able to run that offense?

What if their blitz-a-ton of defense stops working and leaves targets wide open cause they want to blitz with the new CB's?

Will they be able to win the division?

Giants I think are a decent team, and as much as I hate Dallas, they got it in for Philly. They will "beat their ***" at least once this season.

No disrespect if we have Eagle fans here, I don't mean to offend you and if I do I am sorry, it's just I think we are ALL tired of hearing about this everyday on ESPN. I'm sure they'll go 11-5 but they ain't gonna be 12-4 in my book.
No disrespect felt. I think the media is out of their mind . . . and simply trying to build audience interest. I have predicted 10-6 as the Eagles regular season record. They will have tons of gellin' to do, and further have a few remaining holes. The media needs to shut their yaps and stick to sports not sensationalization for the sake of building audience size,

mattwill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dream team my tail! The Eagle's owner, Jeffery Lurie even admitted to it in PC! To paraphrase, he said regarding the Eagles being a dream team, The only dream team I know of is the Green Bay Packers and we can only hope to be as good as them. I like that about Lurie as far as the Eagles go. He did good to strengthen their roster by adding a lot of talent where they needed it but I don't think it will be good enough and certainly not a dream team. Keep dreaming, feather heads.
Lurie is no fool. The champs are the champs until someone defeats them.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I agree that preseason records or scores don't mean squat. But can anybody tell me how your first string team sucking is not important?
We all know each team will look at alot of younger players. But early in the game you're trying to tune up your starters too. So if those guys blow it means alot more work than those who have a starting squad that is tight.
Second? what's this about a team looking good "on paper"? You mean having alot of high profile names?
I would also like to point out that if a Charles Woodson type talent were available in free agency and nobody else was willing to bid for him to play at his original position (just like happened to CWood) I'd bet TT would be all over that player.
I think TT WOULD take a free agent if they liked him enough and he was cheap enough. The Packers are so talented that the best free agents at each position are usually their own.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
No disrespect felt. I think the media is out of their mind . . . and simply trying to build audience interest. I have predicted 10-6 as the Eagles regular season record. They will have tons of gellin' to do, and further have a few remaining holes. The media needs to shut their yaps and stick to sports not sensationalization for the sake of building audience size,

That's our media, friend.

and it's almost always a team in the east division(s)
The Jets, or Dallas (almost every single year), New England, Philly.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I agree that preseason records or scores don't mean squat. But can anybody tell me how your first string team sucking is not important?
We all know each team will look at alot of younger players. But early in the game you're trying to tune up your starters too. So if those guys blow it means alot more work than those who have a starting squad that is tight.
Second? what's this about a team looking good "on paper"? You mean having alot of high profile names?
I would also like to point out that if a Charles Woodson type talent were available in free agency and nobody else was willing to bid for him to play at his original position (just like happened to CWood) I'd bet TT would be all over that player.
I think TT WOULD take a free agent if they liked him enough and he was cheap enough. The Packers are so talented that the best free agents at each position are usually their own.

I think the issue is did the real first team really suck? Now we've found out through the talking heads on TV that McCarthy said he wasn't game planning as much as calling certain sets of plays to evaluate specific personnel. He said sure they wanted to win, but player evaluation was the number one priority behind calling plays. I noticed in the cardinals game there seemed to be a pattern of sets and I thought, "Gee that's awful predictable. What's the use of running a variation of the same play three times in a row.?" Then one of the TV guys later mentioned McCarthy's approach. It could be he was trying to see if Sherrod could handle certain opponents, or if Finley was back up to snuff, etc.

This explanation also explains why we haven't see the Caper's signature defense either. It all seemed very blaaah in the Cardinals game; no psycho, no exotic blitzes, and very little movement to confuse the opponent.

Perhaps we'll know more by the cut downs and the third game. But then again, they will still have a bunch of guys to evaluate and cut down to 53 before the season starts.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I think the issue is did the real first team really suck? Now we've found out through the talking heads on TV that McCarthy said he wasn't game planning as much as calling certain sets of plays to evaluate specific personnel. He said sure they wanted to win, but player evaluation was the number one priority behind calling plays. I noticed in the cardinals game there seemed to be a pattern of sets and I thought, "Gee that's awful predictable. What's the use of running a variation of the same play three times in a row.?" Then one of the TV guys later mentioned McCarthy's approach. It could be he was trying to see if Sherrod could handle certain opponents, or if Finley was back up to snuff, etc.

This explanation also explains why we haven't see the Caper's signature defense either. It all seemed very blaaah in the Cardinals game; no psycho, no exotic blitzes, and very little movement to confuse the opponent.

Perhaps we'll know more by the cut downs and the third game. But then again, they will still have a bunch of guys to evaluate and cut down to 53 before the season starts.
Yep, that makes sense and further deteriorates my idea that preseason games somehow matter. I mean they matter in the scheme of getting your team ready, but performance by first team just went out the window. That makes alot of sense to try certain things with the 1st unit, even if they are not successful or even if they don't expect to be successful.
What mattered so far is that they have tried the no huddle and it seems to work. They probably took a thousand things besides that out of these two games but success in preseason isn't the first goal.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preseason matters. Just not as much as some fans think.

As Croak said, MM didn't gameplan. In fact, he did gameplan, but to evaluate his own players. How well does Sherrod handles long passes, how's Green's blitz pickup etc...

It's not that it doesn't matter. The OL did struggle, it wasn't our imagination. Rodgers did look off sometimes. But that doesn't mean that it's gonna translate to the regular season, because by then the gameplan will work around some issues, and highlight our strenghts, which doesn't happen in the preseason.

Without the OL shuffling consistantly, and with smarter playcalling, not just deep patterns, things will look much, much better on offense. With Matthews, Neal, and the secondary, and with Capers, the D will be as stout as last year.

And with Starks on the lineup, our running game will be really effective. I did not like what I've seen from Grant so far, he hasn't shown any burst, and has lacked vision, but those are not his qualities, we all know that Grant is more effective in bad field conditions and with the opposing D tired, Grant trasforms, as he's a great mudder (can keep his balance in bad weather), and has great stamina. But Starks has shown another kind of ability. I've watched the playoffs again, and even moreso in the Browns game, he just shoots through the hole, it's quite impressive. It did remind me of Peterson, as some Packers fans have said. No, I'm not on acid, I'm not saying Starks is as good as Peterson YET. But the burst and power, when they identify a hole, it's there. Before you know, they're at the second level, and it's not like a quick back going, it's a power back. They don't get dragged down easily.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts