Eager And Healthly Woodson Will Be Ready For First Mini Camp

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A healthy Charles Woodson will hit the FieldTurf running this weekend.

When the Packers open their first mini-camp Friday in the Don Hutson Center, Woodson won't be watching from the sideline. The team's medical staff has cleared him for full participation.

"My heath is fine and I haven't lost any speed," said Woodson, whose 2005 season ended when a teammate broke his fibula Oct. 23 vs. Buffalo. "I'm completely healed. There was really nothing I could do about that. But as far as my health is concerned now, everything's fine."

An X-ray taken in early January showed new bone growth in the leg. Since, Woodson has been enthusiastically training for the 2006 season, mostly in the Houston area. That training went up another notch once negotiations with the Packers heated up early last week.

"It just kind of all started to make sense," he said. "It all fell into place. My agent and I were just talking back and forth and I said, 'You know what? Now that I'm actually looking at Green Bay, I've got a good feeling about the situation.' I told my agent, 'Hey, I'm serious about this. Let's go ahead and get it done.'"

The Packers were serious about Woodson, too. Along with unrestricted free agents Marquand Manuel and Ryan Pickett, the team views Woodson as an important upgrade on a defense that finished 2005 seventh overall and No. 1 against the pass. Pickett and Aaron Kampman - an unrestricted free agent the Packers re-signed last month - finished first and second in tackles last year among the league's defensive linemen. Manuel played a major role in the Seahawks' run to Super Bowl XL.

And now with Woodson in the fold, Green Bay isn't resting on those lofty defensive rankings.

"Our goal should be to stay No. 1," Woodson said. "We definitely have the assets back there. We've re-signed some guys like Kampman and we had a pretty good draft. With this new, young linebacker coming in from O-State, being able to watch him a little this past year, he's a sideline-to-sideline guy and that's definitely what you need in the defense. If we can take care of our business on the back end, let our guys up front like (Kabeer) Gbaja-Biamila rush the passer, giving them a chance to get to the passer, we should not stray from the No. 1 spot."

That new, young linebacker is first-round draft choice A.J. Hawk from Ohio State. But don't expect Woodson, who led Michigan to the 1997 national championship, to have any personal issues with a player from his school's chief rival.

"We're on the same team," Woodson said, smiling. "There won't be any issues."

There won't be any issues with Woodson's willingness to help the team in any way, either. An old-school player who signed with the Packers in part because he loves playing for teams with great tradition, Woodson fits the Packers' aggressive style perfectly.

"I still like to be in the mix," he said. "I still like to be physical out there. I like to make tackles - the whole thing. A lot of times with corners, they feel like their only role on the field is to cover. But with me, I like to be a part of the whole game, and that's what I think I bring to the team. Guys will see me out there not just covering but being willing to do whatever it takes to win the game."

He's not kidding when he says whatever it takes. He prefers to play corner because that is his natural position, but says there's no set role for him on the field. He'll play anywhere - including special teams - if he can help the team. He has returned punts in the past, and plans on speaking to special teams coordinator Mike Stock about that. And don't be surprised to see him on offense, either.

"Now that's what I'm really excited about," Woodson said. "I've been in Oakland eight years, and probably for my first three years I was on the coach everyday trying to get in on offense. It never happened for whatever reason, and I've just been itching at the chance to get back over there on that side of the ball to help the team win. So I'm definitely excited about that.

"I just feel positive about everything. I'm just growing more and more in love with this move everyday."

That move took a few days to complete, logistically. While the Packers were busy drafting his future teammates, Woodson received the contract in Houston over the weekend, then signed and returned the documents to Green Bay for Monday delivery. That's when General Manager Ted Thompson gave his blessing to the team's public relations department to send out the press release.

Fans first heard about Woodson's pending arrival through the media last Wednesday, but the official announcement came five days later. Media reported something called agreed to terms. The Packers announced a signing.

"It just has to do with the mechanics of actually having certain pieces of paper in hand," Thompson said Sunday. "We have a policy here that we won't actually make an announcement until we have the signed documentation, just because sometimes it can lead to embarrassment."

Those potentially embarrassing situations prevent the Packers from making "agreed to terms" announcements. One, the player could fail his physical after the agent and team reach an agreement. Two, the agent could use the agreement as leverage to take the player away from the Packers and sign with another team for more compensation. Finally, and most importantly, the NFL frowns on "agreed to terms" announcements because the league views the team as telling other clubs they no longer have permission to speak to the player. In some cases, an agreed to terms announcement can violate tampering rules.

In most cases, reporters get their information from agents. Soon after the agent and the team agree in principle to a contract, the agents generally release the news to reporters.

So, before the team's official announcement, fans may read about pending acquisitions in the newspapers or hear about them on national internet sites. However, Packers.com will have more information in the end because its people are in the building and have better access to players, coaches and front-office staff.

And with Woodson in the building this weekend, no doubt, the Packers are eager to begin writing a new chapter; just not as eager as Woodson.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Eager And Healthly Woodson Will Be Ready For First Mini

The Man is healthy and hungry ( This is very good news ) Thanks !!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackerLegend said:
"We definitely have the assets back there. We've re-signed some guys like Kampman and we had a pretty good draft. With this new, young linebacker coming in from O-State, being able to watch him a little this past year, he's a sideline-to-sideline guy and that's definitely what you need in the defense. If we can take care of our business on the back end, let our guys up front like (Kabeer) Gbaja-Biamila rush the passer, giving them a chance to get to the passer, we should not stray from the No. 1 spot."

He's not kidding when he says whatever it takes. He prefers to play corner because that is his natural position, but says there's no set role for him on the field. He'll play anywhere - including special teams - if he can help the team. He has returned punts in the past, and plans on speaking to special teams coordinator Mike Stock about that. And don't be surprised to see him on offense, either.

And with Woodson in the building this weekend, no doubt, the Packers are eager to begin writing a new chapter; just not as eager as Woodson.

im pumped up!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Packnic said:
this seems out of character... and i love it. we are gonna be poppin people on def. this year.

My theory as I've stated before(and still believe to be true) was he wasn't happy in Oakland and found it hard to give it his all under a staff he didn't believe in after Gruden left. I think that led to his missing so many games because of 'injury'. I'm not saying he faked the injuries, just saying he came off as a guy who didn't care what happened.

A new team should enlighten that fire under his *** he had when he came into the league.

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, even if this defense ends up flopping this upcoming season (which IMO I don't really see happening), it's pretty safe to say there is going to be a lil vim and vinegar in those boys. A little black and blue to go with the green and gold sounds perfect. Is it 9-10-06 yet??!! :twisted:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys I love the enthusiasm you have but what do you expect these guys to say? Every free agent or draft pick signed in the NFL is excited and motivated.

Forget, or at least back off the rah rah stuff. Let's get excited because we are bringing in good football players that will help the team. Talent is what I'm excited about. Not cheerleaders! (well it depends on what the cheerleaders look like but you get my point!).

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Talent and motivation combined can be great. Look at Ray Lewis.. That guy gets the defense pumped up and playing at 100%.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
Packnic said:
this seems out of character... and i love it. we are gonna be poppin people on def. this year.

My theory as I've stated before(and still believe to be true) was he wasn't happy in Oakland and found it hard to give it his all under a staff he didn't believe in after Gruden left. I think that led to his missing so many games because of 'injury'. I'm not saying he faked the injuries, just saying he came off as a guy who didn't care what happened.

A new team should enlighten that fire under his *** he had when he came into the league.
If you question his willingness to play, then I think that type of person would more likely collect the money and then coast, not play harder.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

4thand26 said:
Zero2Cool said:
Packnic said:

If you question his willingness to play, then I think that type of person would more likely collect the money and then coast, not play harder.

Good thing I didn't question his willingness to play then!

- whew -

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packnic said:
depack= joykill ******

man...i was about to say the same thing he did. literally every single time a big name free agent signs to a new team an article like this comes afterwards. said free agent expresses his enthusiasm and excitement to get started in his new digs and so on and so forth.

i really don't care what these guys say anymore because it all starts to blend together after a while. i just wanna see 'em suit up and whip ***.

god i'm jaded...

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
4thand26 said:
Zero2Cool said:
Packnic said:

- whew -

Good thing that I didn't say that you question his willingness to play. I only said that IF you question his willingness to play...

- whewy, this is fun.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

4thand26 said:
Zero2Cool said:
4thand26 said:
Zero2Cool said:
Packnic said:

- whew -

Good thing that I didn't say that you question his willingness to play. I only said that IF you question his willingness to play...

- whewy, this is fun.

- whew -

before i **** off anyone else from the effects of this painkiller i should goto bed...

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Woodson is a great addition to the defence and will be involved in some interesting offensive plays. He will be a big part of the team next season.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My friends here on the Packer Forum let me make this clear.

Woodson is going to rock your world as a Packer player and team contributor.

I feel his attitude challenges that many people think he have are very over blown. The challenges he had in Oakland was not so much with Woodson's attitude, but with factors beyond his control.

Norv sucked as a head coach. He could not build team synergy and get back to what Woodson wanted which was winning and to get back to the Raider lore. The situation was untennable for Woodson.

The five-yard "chuck" rule seriously impacted every shutdown corner like Woodson and his injuries have simply not allowed him to adjust his technique accordingly. However he is healthy now! Very Healthy.

I will tell you this as a Raider fan…. He's still an awsome tackler and cover man. It would be wise for the Pack to convert Woddy to strong safety. If the Pack could do that, and I believe they can, he would be revitalized and it would extend his productive career just like another Woodson. I am sure you all know who I am writing about…. the future hall of famer Rod Woodson.

I understand Woodson is healthy and looking forward to getting on the field wearing the Green and Gold. This is so special. I can not wait to see what this “Dâ€

gado35

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Guys I love the enthusiasm you have but what do you expect these guys to say? Every free agent or draft pick signed in the NFL is excited and motivated.

Forget, or at least back off the rah rah stuff. Let's get excited because we are bringing in good football players that will help the team. Talent is what I'm excited about. Not cheerleaders! (well it depends on what the cheerleaders look like but you get my point!).

Party pooper.

i know what you mean though but it is so much fun to get excited, what else are we to do now? there are no more big signings just waiting around, lets all just be cheerleaders about the talent we have for next year. :wink:

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm very excited about Woodson taking the field as a Packer. Not only does it give Green Bay a formidable duo on the corners, it should help Carroll as well. After his first two years playing against top quality recievers, he finally is "let off the hook" a bit, and gets to work against #3s. Same for Hawkins and all the other young corners who now get to face off against WRs a notch down on the depth chart.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't mean to be a "joykill ******" and despite zero's codeine induced statement I'm as big a Packer fan as there is.

My point is not that the fans shouldn't be excited. That's what fans are for. My point was that all these articles about the players being excited are all the same. No matter what team or what player. Joe Johnson was thrilled to go to GB and wanted to kick *** to prove he deserved the money. Ryan Leaf was ecstatic to go to San Diego and was going to make the Colts sorry they ever passed over him.

My statement was that I was excited to be landing great football players in Green Bay. I want to see them play, not listen to how excited they are. If this is deemed anti-Packer or anti-TT, for God's sake then you all need to get your collective heads outta your arses.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good call depack, i was just a little caught up in the moment.
but theres still no need to rain on tha parade. i get your point, but i think woodson is a little bit better than joe johnson and ryan leaf.... he is a 4 time pro bowler and a known competitor, so in this SPECIFIC instance, there is more room for excitement. Getting excited about jolly, yeah your right thats a little overboard. but i can understand the woodson excitement.

depack = not sucha joykilldouche,

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh....no....he IS a joykill ******. You are fairly new...give him some time...you too will smell fresh as springtime.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts